#101 Arfadent

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

View PostWida, on Jan 12 2009, 05:25 PM, said:

Time will tell and soon the rockers identity will be discovered.

On seconds thoughts though, it might be a case of 'beware of what you wish for' Wida. I fear that if we uncover the identity of this rhyming miscreant then the mystery will be lost and he/she/they/them/it might not post anymore. That would be a great loss for all of us.

Arfa,

Edited by Arfadent, 12 January 2009 - 08:32 PM.

#102 ramone

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

Arfa, by my calculations the rocker is one of seven- 14 to start, 5 in front of us, 2 turned off early! Hmm , i have new suspicions.

By the way i agree it was a great experience to run thru bush at night.

ramone ( also not the rocker )

#103 Guest_rocker_*

• Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

There are no slip-ups, only clues (some of which can mislead) . Appearances can be deceiving. The gospels were written by people who weren't there at the time. All one needs to do is to keep one's ear to the ground like a dead wombat. Who else saw John glowik the dark?

#104 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Onto things other than "The Rocker"...

The third monthly trail run is on this Saturday 17 January in the Hale and Warren Conservation parks, north of Kersbrook. Meet at the park gate at 6.45 am for trail briefing for a 7.00 start. Allow 40-45 minutes drive from the city.

As with all these runs there are a number of different options to suit all participants including a 9km option for those who don't want to go too far or who want to walk. For people wanting to go further there are 16km or 23 km options - but as it is basically an out and back trail you can easily decide if you want to do something in between this range. You do not need to be a SARRC member - everyone is most welcome. The whole point of these runs/walks is to get people out on the trails in Adelaide's beautiful backyard that is the Mt Lofty Ranges. The general rule among those that have participated in the two previous trail runs is to walk up anything that looks a bit steep, so don't be put off if you are worried by the hills. These are purely social runs providing an opportunity for people to get out there and exercise to the extent they want to and are capable.

We're hoping to especially welcome for the first time some of the people that joined in the Sea to Summit run. Unlike the Sea to Summit though, we always try and organize these runs so that you start where you finish - back at the car park. If you need to leave as soon as you get back - no problem - just sign off on the trail sheet so that we know at the end of the day everyone has got home safely.

I have not been through either of these parks other than a couple of rides across the South Parra River in preparation for the Tour Down Under ride but Stan T has been up there making sure all is OK. He says the trail is so well marked that there is no way anyone will get lost. Right! Jenny the Orienteer has also said on a previous post that the country up there is "amazing, especially the views upstream in the river 'gorge'!" Crossing the river sounds like it is going to be a bit of an adventure, but Stan says it should be fine as long as there is no rain. Conditions should be good with a cool change through later in the week. If it's warm, I know how I will be crossing the river!

Details of the trail including maps and trail instructions can be downloaded from the SARRC Website or alternatively email me Terry C and I will forward to you.

On another bike ride on the weekend I also checked out the coffee at the Cuddlee Creek Cafe and can vouch for its quality. New manager Babette is expecting us some time after 10.00am. Come for a run/walk then stop off for coffee/cake/brunch and a chance to chat and get to know other runner/walkers before heading back into town.

John G who manages the Trail Run Distribution List reckons that we now have over 150 people receiving regular updates on these trail runs plus a trail e-news. That is a pretty amazing response in just a couple of months! If you are not on the list and want to be, then email John G and he will add your email address.

See you on the trail, hopefully this Saturday.

#105 sunny1

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

I've been eliminating suspects. I know ramone isn't the rocker, TerryC isn't the rocker, Simlin isn't the rocker, and I'm not the rocker. Lots to go through yet!

I do know that you need someone who can navigate in that back group ... maybe someone of the girlish type, who has proven herself not to be map challenged, should have been there to help you guys out!! I have never got lost yet.

Edited by sunny1, 12 January 2009 - 11:35 PM.

#106 jenny the orienteer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

View PostTerryC, on Jan 12 2009, 09:50 PM, said:

Crossing the river sounds like it is going to be a bit of an adventure, but Stan says it should be fine as long as there is no rain. Conditions should be good with a cool change through later in the week. If it's warm, I know how I will be crossing the river!

Ah yes, crossing the river! That's not so much of an issue as finding your way through the blackberries to get to the river. By Saturday afternoon you will know why orienteers wear long pants...I think there is a log a bit downstream, which the boys managed to find last year.

On the way back it is a long, tough slog up the hill from the river. Current forecast is for 32 degrees so I'm seriously considering taking an extra bottle of water/Powerade and leaving it at the crossing, to retrieve and drink on my way back. Any like-minded people? We could create a lolly stash too.

P.S. Ankle protection/strapping could be worth a thought, 'cos the track to/from the river isn't much more of a highway than the one through Totness.

P.P.S. I don't have a poetic bone in my body, not that anyone was wondering...prose is more my style.

Edited by jenny the orienteer, 13 January 2009 - 10:47 PM.

#107 rocker

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

The Cool-Running guys have insisted
In adopting a terribly ham-fisted
Response to a spammer
By using a hammer -
And Rocker was accidentally black listed.

#108 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

Ok, Jenny is not the rocker either!  

Have fun in the morning guys and others. Wish I could be there!

Just check the map, all of you!  :D  Tired of hearing that you led each other astray.  ;)

(Black listed?? Our resident poet and most accurate race reporter??! You must be joking.  ;) )

Edited by sunny1, 17 January 2009 - 01:36 AM.

#109 MummaTreason

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

View Postsunny1, on Jan 16 2009, 11:10 PM, said:

Ok, Jenny is not the rocker either!  

Have fun in the morning guys and others. Wish I could be there!

Just check the map, all of you!  :D  Tired of hearing that you led each other astray.  ;)

(Black listed?? Our resident poet and most accurate race reporter??! You must be joking.  ;) )

Sorry Sunny1 but Poppa and Mumma Treason turned their 16 km into 20 by taking a scenic detour (and back) through the forest. Sadly we also took two others who had already been lost once before with us. By the number of cars still left at the end there were a few others lost as well.

#110 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

;)  Unbelievable!

I await with anticipation for rocker's interpretation of events.

#111 SouthAustralian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

View Postsunny1, on Jan 17 2009, 05:48 PM, said:

;) Unbelievable!

I await with anticipation for rocker's interpretation of events.

I think that they should all run holding a piece of string attached to Terry's waist....it worked for my Mum when I was a nipper!

Frank in SA (who NEVER gets lost in trail runs.....because he never trail runs!)

#112 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

I think they need someone who loves maps and spends more time on mapmyrun (instead of on CR) to run with them.  ;)

#113 SouthAustralian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

That sounds very much like one of our favourite female SA CRs! ;)

#114 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

(Black listed?? Our resident poet and most accurate race reporter??! You must be joking.  )
Not only black listed (actually a not so appropriate expression these days), Sunny1, but in the same week removed from the list of 2008 CR Ambassador of the year nominations! Are we to read something in this? Is this coincidence? I was not going to raise the matter as I didn't want The Rocker's nomination to pull votes away from the other worthy South Australians nominated for this prestigious award (such as yourself, Sunny1!) - but it does now beg the question... Is The Rocker being targeted by CR hierachy? Is this the latest and biggest scandle of CR in 2009? Is this a personal attack or is it an attack on poetry in general. Is this just another affront from the eastern seaboard? Surely in his/her own way, The Rocker has been drawing a whole new audience to CR that justifies his/her place in the 2008 nomination list, even if his/her appearance was late in 2008?

Not an easy choice to CR ambassador-there's some very worthy nominations there.
So far in nomination order:
Plodbod
Wombatoutofhell
seris
South Australian/Frank
Blue Dog
Peterhorse
Plu
Tiger Boy
Ourimbah
sook54
Simlin
Angelic One
The Owl
Bellthorpe
Rudolf
Stella Bella
Paul Every
The Rocker
Chilliman
Sunny1
Not an easy choice.

ok I have closed off the nominations and spruced up the list of accepted nominations (mainly removed duplicates).

Odd. I can see at least one of the nominations that has disappeared in the final cut

#115 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:52 PM

View PostTerryC, on Jan 17 2009, 06:12 PM, said:

Not only black listed (actually a not so appropriate expression these days), Sunny1, but in the same week removed from the list of 2008 CR Ambassador of the year nominations! Are we to read something in this? Is this coincidence? ....

- but it does now beg the question... Is The Rocker being targeted by CR hierachy?

Is this the latest and biggest scandle of CR in 2009? Is this a personal attack or is it an attack on poetry in general.

Is this just another affront from the eastern seaboard? Surely in his/her own way, The Rocker has been drawing a whole new audience to CR that justifies his/her place in the 2008 nomination list, even if his/her appearance was late in 2008?

It is ridiculous. The whole nomination thing is now ridiculous.

Who the hell would have removed the rocker? Why? He/she has done nothing offensive, surely the rocker has not been reported? Has our 'search to uncover the identity of the rocker' been misunderstood?

Affront from the easstern seabord? - get used to it TerryC. I've decided its more fun to go on mapmyrun, than spend time on CR, and map routes at the moment.

Hope you had a good run this morning TC.

#116 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

Latest update on this morning's trail run - 33 starters and 33 finishers though we did have one casualty with one runner twisting his ankle early in the run and having to withdraw.

Yes there were a few others who did manage along with MummaTreason to get lost - indeed from what I understand (from a very close personal contact) managed to get lost with MummaTreason. We have yet to reach perfection in terms of a 100% no lost run - even though this month's trail coordinator Stan had been heard to remark before the run that it was so well marked that no one could possibly get lost... something worth aspiring too!

In the end though everyone got home and seems like a good time had by all. Great to see Mumma and Papa T out there plus George and Jane of rogaining fame. Jenny the Orienteerer made a star and on cue entrance at 6.58 am and then needed time to find her sole(s). Plenty of material for the Rocker, I am sure, if he or she was there (and he/she survives CR!)...

The main group of runners completed the full trail which was showing on the garmins as 24.5kms in a time of 4-5 hours. Some sections of the course were very rocky which made going very slow - plus even though we had been warned about the 100+ steps on the other side of the river, no one warned us how large each step actually was nor that in some instances the steps were replaced by a ladder! Look forward to some photos from Simlin (once he gets his camera back from leaving it behind at the trailhead!)

Whilst there was some hard work to be done in the middle of the trail connecting the two parks, this for me ranks as the best run we have done so far - the scenery, the views, the different terrains... really beautiful country to get out into on some great trails. Highly recommended! If you are looking for shorter trail runs - the two loops at either end (which can be accessed separately from different trailheads) are just brilliant!

And what made it so worthwhile as well was the fact that other than Jenny and the orienteers, none of us had ever been in these parks, despite years of driving up that way from Kersbrook to Williamstown...

Thanks to Stan for all his pre trail preparation. Much appreciated!

Edited by TerryC, 17 January 2009 - 06:09 PM.

#117 SouthAustralian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:15 PM

View PostTerryC, on Jan 17 2009, 06:12 PM, said:

Not only black listed (actually a not so appropriate expression these days), Sunny1, but in the same week removed from the list of 2008 CR Ambassador of the year nominations! Are we to read something in this? Is this coincidence?

Knowing David (WOOH) who mananages that thread, Rockers exclusion would have been an innocent error. WOOH's one of the most trusted blokes around...unless he knows who Rocker 'really' is and has been horrified enogh to pull the plug......the plot thickens
Frank in SA

#118 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

It is ridiculous. The whole nomination thing is now ridiculous.

Who the hell would have removed the rocker? Why? He/she has done nothing offensive, surely the rocker has not been reported? Has our 'search to uncover the identity of the rocker' been misunderstood?

Affront from the easstern seabord? - get used to it TerryC. I've decided its more fun to go on mapmyrun, than spend time on CR, and map routes at the moment.
Ease up, Sunny1...  I understand from a close source that The Rocker's "blacklisting" was truly accidental, a system error... and in the end his/her removal from the 2008 nomination listing, I think by by Joggerkev in his tidying up, may have done out of respect for the likes of true CR ambassadors such as yourself, Frank, Colsy, Simlin... I can live with that... we move on...

As for the eastern seaboard issue -  The "fact of life" response that I got to my suggestion of an alternative voting sytem is possibly a discussion to be had on the awards thread which I may take up once the awards are completed...  one of the problems of a democracy where everyone gets a vote is that it does not always result in the best outcomes (e.g. look at who we have governing us)... maybe the alternative for the 2009 awards system is to appoint a panel to hand out awards based upon identified criteria. Would also be good to include such awards as best post of 2008 such as the description of your Yurrebilla training run! Could even have a special poetry category to honour the works of The Rocker, which are surely unique and bringing some laughs to many CR readers on both sides of the Great Dividing Range.

PS If you haven't voted yet - vote for South Australian/Frank cause a late charge from SA might push him over the line! Go Frank!

#119 backpacker

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

I am gutted to have missed the run this morning. My fella went to a bucks party last night and after a sleepless night waiting for him to come home so I could jump into my running shoes he rocked up at 9 o'clock! Two children meant I was trapped at home looking at the clock and knowing you would be out on what looked like gorgeous trails. After a day of the silent treatment (which completely went unnoticed), in fact all I got was "what are you worried about? There will be other runs." I have decided to go out there tommorrow if I have to and do the run by myself. Is there anyone out there who either wishes to to some of the run again or couldn't make it this morning and wishes to meet me at 7 in the morning? Let me know,
Cheers Lynn.

#120 jenny the orienteer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

View PostTerryC, on Jan 17 2009, 06:07 PM, said:

In the end though everyone got home and seems like a good time had by all. Great to see Mumma and Papa T out there plus George and Jane of rogaining fame. Jenny the Orienteerer made a star and on cue entrance at 6.58 am and then needed time to find her sole(s). Plenty of material for the Rocker, I am sure, if he or she was there (and he/she survives CR!)...

Not one of my more organised mornings, I'll grant you! Punctuality isn't actually my strong point but I have been trying to make a good impression thus far ;) I am very grateful for the loan of the innersoles though I don't know the name of the lady I borrowed them from.

Sorry if John, Simon and I rudely crashed past people when we were overtaking ;) - we had decided not to do the full run because at this time of year we now need to build up speed for our first orienteering races in March, so were trying to do the 16km a bit quicker (though we did detour past our friends' place on Robertson Rd at the end).

I'm impressed by anyone who did the full distance because it's a bit of an epic! Hope you all enjoyed your well-earned coffee at Cudlee Creek.

Out of interest, does anyone realise that when the weather is reported for Mt Crawford, as being the coldest place in SA, it's because the weather recording station is on the top of Tower Hill?

Edited by jenny the orienteer, 17 January 2009 - 07:20 PM.

#121 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

Not one of my more organised mornings, I'll grant you! Punctuality isn't actually my strong point but I have been trying to make a good impression thus far  I am very grateful for the loan of the innersoles though I don't know the name of the lady I borrowed them from.
MummaTreason!

Sorry if John, Simon and I rudely crashed past people when we were overtaking
Forgiven, but only cause of the lollies you left us!

Always great to see you and the Orienteering gang out on the trail, Jenny!

#122 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

I am gutted to have missed the run this morning. My fella went to a bucks party last night and after a sleepless night waiting for him to come home so I could jump into my running shoes he rocked up at 9 o'clock! Two children meant I was trapped at home looking at the clock and knowing you would be out on what looked like gorgeous trails. After a day of the silent treatment (which completely went unnoticed), in fact all I got was "what are you worried about? There will be other runs." I have decided to go out there tommorrow if I have to and do the run by myself. Is there anyone out there who either wishes to to some of the run again or couldn't make it this morning and wishes to meet me at 7 in the morning? Let me know,
Cheers Lynn.
You were missed, Lyn. Now I understand how frustrating this situation was for you but thank you for sharing it with us! It did cause some laughs in this household... a classic post in the "not so sympathetic partner of a obsessive runner" category! Have had a few similar situations but with the adult children returning the car  in time for me to get to a run. For a period there it was the most that I saw of the kids - when they arrived home with the car as I headed off for a run... like ships passing in the night...

I'm half tempted to do the run again with you tomorrow- I enjoyed it that much - but am going to stay with running with the 7 am Sunday SARRC group - if only for the joys of running down Torrens Rd yet again! But reckon I need to do a long consistent run on the roads after today's stop start run. (I also intend picking up my TDU shirt in town after the run for Friday's ride!)

Do hope you find someone to run with tomorrow am - especially since you need to be careful heading out on the trails on your own... too easy to turn an ankle, as we discovered this morning, fall, twist, break something... there were quite a few stumbles on this morning's run with a few people showing bloody scars back at coffee at Cuddlee Cafe (which incidentally was tops!).

Edited by TerryC, 17 January 2009 - 08:24 PM.

#123 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

... eased.  ;)  Maybe I just needed to vent. Maybe I just need a good long run (aiming to be out at 5am for 2 hours tomorrow).  ;)

#124 ramone

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hi trail runners. I havent decided whether this was a harder run than Mt Misery but it was the p***kliest for sure. I will say it had the best views and some of the most pleasant single track running i have encountered. Having said this it was the longest i have ever taken to cover 24.5kms with George ,Jane and myself coming in a distant last in a touch under 5 hours! Terry c even had to make a concerned call to my mobile phone asking where in the hell we were.

What can i say? I had a great morning
See you on the next one.

ramone

#125 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

Ramone, they are pwickles! Otherwise they are automatically ***ed.

I have a new theory about people getting lost while trail running. I think that it is just that you enjoy it, running on trails with each other, sooo much that you don't really want the run to end.  So you chat, pretend to get lost, check out a few more trails and get back 4, 5?, 6? hours later, having had a jolly good time. Can't wait to get out there with you all.

Sunny1
(feeling very frustrated about missing out on so many good runs with some of the wackiest - a word here meaning interesting and friendly - people I know).

#126 Simlin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:44 AM

I was wondering where you had got to Mumma Treason because on the way back after turning around 8.4km from home we did not run into you on the way back? so we assumed you were on the otherside of the Tower Hill loop.
I think you got lost at the only place possible...the river crossing...where you had to fight your way through thorns, thistles and stinging nettles to get to the "Hidden" 100+ steps.
I'd rate the 19k I did at Mt Misery harder because it was a harder trail to follow, the weather was surprisingly freezing and the hills more frequent...though I must confess that coming out up from the river on the way back felt like it went up for ever....especially after going up and down and up and down those steps.

Attached Files

#127 Wida

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:55 AM

View PostTerryC, on Jan 17 2009, 06:37 PM, said:

even though we had been warned about the 100+ steps on the other side of the river, no one warned us how large each step actually was nor that in some instances the steps were replaced by a ladder!
Well I had an interesting day out yesterday. As I was doing a more on top of the standard run I wanted to start at 6am but I underestimated to time to get out there and also had to check the street directory a couple of times. I was ready to go at 6:30am and TerryC turned up so we had a quick chat. I was thinking about waiting for everyone but as I had a long day ahead I pressed on.

I spent a while running up along the creek crossing to try and find a good crossing spot, then Jenny arrived and I thought wow, they must have been moving quick. I made my way across the creek and then I could hear the main pack coming and I thought to myself, "How did I manage to waste 30min"  ;)  I should have just waited at the start! Oh well, now I had some good company for a while.

I'm not sure how many steps there were but here's some photo's I took on the way back. They don't look that steep on the photos

Attached File  Picture_009__Large_.jpg   199.34K   17 downloads
Attached File  Picture_010__Large_.jpg   161.82K   14 downloads
Attached File  Picture_011__Large_.jpg   168.27K   15 downloads
Attached File  Picture_012__Large_.jpg   197.76K   18 downloads

This run definitely was a bit of a surprise for me as I had no idea it was going to be so good. A lot work has been spent on the trails and as other have said, some of the scenery was brilliant. I especially like all of the rock formations. I don't think I've seen trail marking quite like it before; they even have signs to tell you that there is a hairpin corner ;)

Once again I'd like to thank TerryC for getting these runs together because I simply wouldn't have though of running in some of these locations.

Edited by Wida, 18 January 2009 - 12:11 PM.

#128 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

Wida - I was just as surprised as everyone yesterday by the beauty of the country up through Warren and Hale and by the quality of the trails... what enhanced something of the experience for me was that it was the first time in these monthly trail runs that I hadn't gone out and run the trail before - leaving the reconnaissance on this occassion to Stan. So I was like everyone else experiencing it for the first time.

For me a real highlight was the first 6 kms from the trailhead down to the river... running in single file in a group of twenty or so runners through such beautiful country... it was a touch cold, even on a day that would be over 30+, so you wanted to get going... I was running with Simlin who took some snaps of the group moving through the bush together... I thought then that it doesn't get any better... if this doesn't convince you about the joys of trail running with others, then nothing will.

I seriously considered joining Lynn again this morning, because it was so good and because I was disappointed she missed out - and I thought it would be a joy being out there again with someone else seeing it all for the first time.

Edited by TerryC, 18 January 2009 - 02:32 PM.

#129 rocker

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Warren and Hale Conservation Parks

“Where’s the map? It was in this drawer!”
“Just here.” she said with kindness.
He bloody well swore it wasn’t there before.
He’d Male Domestic Blindness.

We awaited the sound of any words profound -
We’d start on the run soon enough.
Roos only abound on the road, and around.
Cos for them, the park is too tough!

Not many revere,  but we will persevere,
And attend the late pre-run patter.
The instructions weren’t clear or we just didn’t hear.-
We think he must just have said “scatter”!

A visitor was  billed with the more highly skilled,
Not where those that no longer have it are.
There were men who were thrilled and women who’d have killed
For a build quite like Sunny1’s avatar.

Amidst anticipation of the imminent bush invasion,
We could see there were only two walkers
Of the female persuasion, who, on this occasion,
Made a poor navigational caucus.

A wrong track they crossed, but a lifeline they’re tossed,
By the arrival of Peter and Sue.
By  Peter they’re bossed, and get even more lost
(As if that was possible to do.)

Somewhat setback as the bushes attack us,
(And some made very good tries)
Hundreds of Yakkas threatened our knackers,
And Kym had to watch his eyes

Thorns were succeeding to stop us proceeding
Very quickly, and runners got petty;
Those who were bleeding, continually pleading
“Why didn’t we bring a machete?”

We escaped from Warren, feeling quite sore ‘n
We followed the trail to  the dell,
Where something quite foreign for us was in store in
The form of a staircase from hell.

“Pull on the chain to lessen the strain.”
Was advice from all those who’d been up.
Huge steps (insane), would be needed again
And  Kym (it was plain) did a chin-up.

p***kles in batches managed to catch us,
And an ankle sprain or two.
A few cuts and scratches were in the dispatches,
And a foot injury from a tattoo!

Not finished yet,  for coffee we met
And orders were made which were muddly.
We tried forget, the tears blood an sweat,
At the Creek with Babette which was Cuddlee.

The Rocker

#130 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

At the Creek with Babette which was Cuddlee
Up there with your best, Rocker!

Very good... has already brought some laughs to this household... some classic lines... "male domestic blindness"... Kym watching his eyes and doing chin-ups... and "a foot injury from a tattoo".

Top effort!

#131 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

Can we, please, publish the works of the rocker, together with maps of the routes, photos taken on the day and other race reports? Please!

(Rocker, I hope this doesn't put the creative juices under too much pressure  ;) ).

#132 MummaTreason

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

View PostSimlin, on Jan 18 2009, 10:14 AM, said:

I was wondering where you had got to Mumma Treason because on the way back after turning around 8.4km from home we did not run into you on the way back? so we assumed you were on the otherside of the Tower Hill loop.
I think you got lost at the only place possible...the river crossing...where you had to fight your way through thorns, thistles and stinging nettles to get to the "Hidden" 100+ steps.
I'd rate the 19k I did at Mt Misery harder because it was a harder trail to follow, the weather was surprisingly freezing and the hills more frequent...though I must confess that coming out up from the river on the way back felt like it went up for ever....especially after going up and down and up and down those steps.

No Simlin. We got lost at the tower because Poppa Treason wouldn't listen and headed off to the picnic area despite Mumma Treason telling him it was the wrong way. We ended up in the middle of the forest heading south instead of east (so poppa Treason said). Thank goodness Paul made Di take a compass or I think we would still be trying to get out of the forest!!!  ;)
How right you were Rocker about Poppa Treason being bossy. Are you sure you weren't there with us?

#133 ramone

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

I am sorry to report that i have suffered an ankle sprain this weekend. Not from 5 hours running on rugged trails. Not from running from Glenelg to Kingston Pk and back on tired legs. No, i sustained this injury walking into the sea for an after run dip!

yours in tears
ramone

#134 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

View Postramone, on Jan 18 2009, 09:45 PM, said:

I am sorry to report that i have suffered an ankle sprain this weekend. Not from 5 hours running on rugged trails. Not from running from Glenelg to Kingston Pk and back on tired legs. No, i sustained this injury walking into the sea for an after run dip!

yours in tears
ramone

Let them fall on our shoulders, Ramone ... and count your blessings ... you have some laid-up time to get on with signing all those Sea to Summit t-shirts!

#135 rocker

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:59 AM

Ramone' s disaster.

I read Ramone’s late contribution,
With great concern administerial.
With no Lilliputian to provide a solution,
I’ll be fast running out of material.

The Rocker

#136 Simlin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

I witnessed one very reverent runner laydown and kiss the earth, so glad was he to get back on the south side of the river...I notice that didn't get a mention in Rocker's poem.

#137 Simlin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

Blog entrydone and all the photos added to the Gallery.

#138 GraceyO

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hi Terry, please can you add me to the distribution list.

Thank you

View PostTerryC, on Nov 14 2008, 03:48 PM, said:

Since the running of the first Yurrebilla 56km Trail Ultra in 2007, there has been much talk about organizing regular trail runs in the Adelaide Hills and Mt Lofty ranges. Finally this is coming about with runs to be organized monthly on either the second or third Saturday of the month.

The first trail run will take place at 7.00am on Saturday 22 November, 2008 in the Montacute Conservation Park and Cudlee Creek Forest area with a climb to the top of what we hope to not be aptly named "Mt Misery" (Great name for a first up run!). Assemble at the end of Valley Rd, Montacute, which runs off Corkscrew Rd at 6.45 for trail briefing and 7.00am start – everyone most welcome (you don't need to be a SARRC member) – no need to say you are coming, just turn up!

Generally we will try and organize these regular informal trail runs not too far from the city and as loop runs to avoid car pooling; offer a variety of distances so that runners (and walkers too perhaps) of all abilities can participate at the level/pace/distance that best suits them; will get people into some of the most beautiful areas of the Adelaide hills that are not so commonly accessed; choose the second or third Saturday each month that conflicts least with any other events; and make sure that the finish is not too far from a coffee shop and/or bakery!

Maps and trail instructions will be sent out by email in advance so that runners can print them off to carry with them on the run. Runners need to also bring all their own supplies – water, food, first aid etc.

If you would like to go on the trail run email distribution list to receive regular updates about these runs PM me (I am away from computer from Tuesday to Friday just prior to the first run) or do so through the SARRC website SARRC website which should have an email contact up and running in next few days.

Happy to answer any questions via this forum…

#139 jenny the orienteer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

View Postsunny1, on Jan 18 2009, 03:01 PM, said:

Can we, please, publish the works of the rocker, together with maps of the routes, photos taken on the day and other race reports? Please!
(Rocker, I hope this doesn't put the creative juices under too much pressure  ;) ).

Are we 100% sure this is the same Rocker? The metre (meter?) and syntax don't seem quite as before...

I will be in Sydney this weekend so won't be running along the beach/boardwalk, but my calves will probably thank me. I've passed on the info to the others though.

#140 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

Jenny's post about being in Sydney over the weekend reminded me to post information here about the Australia Day run (If I haven't already...?)

All welcome Brighton Jetty to Hallett Cove...

Starting at Brighton Jetty at 7.00 a.m. on Monday 26th January (Australia  Day), running south along the beach front past the Kingston Park Caravan Park, continuing south up the cliff along Burnham Rd, then along Esplanade to Marion Rocks for the start of the Marion Coastal Walking Trail which takes us along scenic cliff tops overlooking rocky shores, as far as Hallett Cove Beach. Then back the same way. Total distance estimated at 15km.

There are good bathing and good cafés at Brighton, to reward yourself after the run. There are public toilets at the start and in 4 places along the route.

Much of the Marion Coastal Walking Trail consists of board walks with many flights of steps, some of which lead down to the rocky shore which is famous for its geological features.

If you consult your street directory, you will see that there are places along the route where you can join us for running or walking.

Email David Close if you have any questions.

#141 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

Hi Terry, please can you add me to the distribution list.
GraceyO - welcome to the wonderful world of CR - happy to put you on the trail email distribution list but need you to give me your email details.

Email me direct at TerryC.

Be great to see you out on the trails - Terry

#142 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

Brighton Jetty to Hallet Cove looks like a ripper of a route! Did you know that tourists to Australia catch a boat (cat) at Glenelg and cruise for 3 1/2 hours along that route (on the sea of course) to swim with dolphins?! And they pay quite a bit to do it?!

We were given tickets by interstate inlaws to do the cruise and took the kids out yesterday. It was sublime - mirror calm - lots of dolphins playing.

So, for the 15km, I would count on taking a bit longer as usual ... especially if observant runners get a bit distracted by the ocean views and dolphins playing.

#143 MummaTreason

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

View PostTerryC, on Jan 21 2009, 09:00 PM, said:

Jenny's post about being in Sydney over the weekend reminded me to post information here about the Australia Day run (If I haven't already...?)

All welcome Brighton Jetty to Hallett Cove...

Starting at Brighton Jetty at 7.00 a.m. on Monday 26th January (Australia  Day), running south along the beach front past the Kingston Park Caravan Park, continuing south up the cliff along Burnham Rd, then along Esplanade to Marion Rocks for the start of the Marion Coastal Walking Trail which takes us along scenic cliff tops overlooking rocky shores, as far as Hallett Cove Beach. Then back the same way. Total distance estimated at 15km.

There are good bathing and good cafés at Brighton, to reward yourself after the run. There are public toilets at the start and in 4 places along the route.

Much of the Marion Coastal Walking Trail consists of board walks with many flights of steps, some of which lead down to the rocky shore which is famous for its geological features.

If you consult your street directory, you will see that there are places along the route where you can join us for running or walking.

Email David Close if you have any questions.

Yay!!!! Toilets,not spiky bushes.  ;)

#144 jenny the orienteer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

View PostMummaTreason, on Jan 22 2009, 08:13 PM, said:

Yay!!!! Toilets,not spiky bushes.  ;)

I'm sure there's some rogainers' proverb about a spiky bush being better than a treeless plain.......but the good thing about toilets is your quads don't have to flex so much to get up again!

#145 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

4 toilets - that makes 8 opportunites on an out and back route!! Yay! Might be a good idea to pack your own paper though. My experience is that on the last day of a public holiday there is not much left!

#146 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

Yay!!!! Toilets,not spiky bushes

I'm sure there's some rogainers' proverb about a spiky bush

4 toilets - that makes 8 opportunites
The only expression or proverb that comes to mind then goes something like:

" a **rd in the pan is worth two in the bush"

#147 jenny the orienteer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

View PostTerryC, on Jan 22 2009, 10:11 PM, said:

The only expression or proverb that comes to mind then goes something like:

" a **rd in the pan is worth two in the bush"

One day I'll bore everyone with my story about being drug tested at an orienteering race, on a day when I got heatstroke and couldn't provide an *ahem* "sample" for 7 hours.....

#148 rocker

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:45 AM

Omissions, Criticisms and Random Thoughts.

Metre

In a way unrepentant, a superintendent
Of verse claims my metre’s less amateur.
No longer transcendent, (Each verse independent),
It’s a form of iambic tetrameter.

Omission

Untimely omissions did not enamour a
Simlin who had an epiphany (almost).
But scenes of such glamour are -  still in his camera
Which he left, by mistake, on a post.

Modus Operandi

There have been around, accusations iniquitous,
Suggesting the Rocker’s  been coasting.
He’s far from ubiquitous. He’ll hold  the quick wit as
He patiently awaits all the posting

The Fall of Father John

As this old wreck fell onto the deck a
Sound filled John’s head like a minaret’s call.
This impartial trekker fell promptly to Mecca,
Though not facing east, he continued to fall.

Father John’s nature abhorred the dearth
Of tolerance and  new ecumenical  hope.
He then showed his worth, by kissing the earth
In a manner appeasing the pope.

Kym’s Beach Injury

In time, we will see that fate’s woven web’ll
Heal  small Ramone’s  recent pain -
Ever the rebel, he fell off a pebble
And suffered an ankle sprain.

Lynn’s non-appearance

“You’re much too late, I’ll have no truck.
T’was a terrible thing to do.” -
We admire your pluck and wish you luck
With ”feller” number two.

The Rocker

#149 TerryC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

Do we have an artist in our midst...? We need someone who can draw some funny little sketches to accompany The Rocker's verse... e.g. a sketch of Ramone treading water at the start of S2S and at the beach falling off a pebble... Fr John lying on the ground "in a manner appeasing the pope"... The look on Lynn's face at home with the kids when the fella returns from the buck's party at 9.00am saying "There will be other runs.." Plus many many more

It would be great to get something not too fancy together by the end of year with simple maps of the trail runs that we have done in the first twelve months plus stories from runners... to give to everyone (sell to cover costs) at the last run of the year on Saturday 12 December which will finish on the beach at Noarlunga...

I can feel a beach party coming on... I will have to have a word to Fr John...

#150 rocker

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

Australia Day

We arose in the dark to get to the park -
A silly idea of Dave’s.
The sea looked inviting - the hills less exciting,
And staircases ruled the waves.

Some blokes fresh back from a cycling fad’ll
Limp from the Jetty Road junction -
Too long in the saddle, their cycling jihad’ll
Cause some erectile dysfunction.

With the ocean  on one side, the hills a redoubt,
Their odds of confusion were skinnier
They, having set out, couldn’t  Worley about-
They’ll now stick to routes almost linear.

Metres of boards with large steps on the  rise,
Posed for Kym an important selection.
Could he prise his eyes from the face-level thighs
Of those from the opposite direction?

The shop was not open, and try as they might -
A drink they just couldn’t find.
Lynn offered respite. “Have a suck and a bite” -
And not very many declined.

Upon their return, while still on the mountain.
They really were in quite a pickle.
They weren’t really countin’ on an invalid fountain
Producing no more than a trickle.

With poor comprehension and some apprehension -
If she pushed the wrong button in the new fangled loo,
She’d make an ascension to another dimension,
And a sudden appearance as the next  Doctor Who.

Most dogs were restrained, though some had been freed.
This beach route we thought was a blunder.
But Kym would succeed – he missed every lead.
That son of a beach could go under.

Immersed in the water, it wasn’t much fun as
We didn’t go out very far.
Most swam in their runners - some costumes were stunners
With a contraband budgerigar.

Three dogs and two women of scrutable speed -
Paul struggled to cope on the whole.
All needed a feed – not all  had a lead -
And he was not in effective control.

The Rocker