339 replies to this topic

#1 Doc Lach

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

UPDATE 13/10/10: The 2nd annual RACV Marysville Marathon Festival will take place on Sunday November 7, 2010, thanks to everyone's participation in our inaugural year of 2009.  The event is part of our fightback after the devastating bushfires of Black Saturday 7/2/9 that nearly destroyed Marysville and so many other communities.  Events include Marathon, Ultramarathon (45 km), Half-Marathon, as well as 10 and 3 km Run/Walks -- see www.marysvillemarathon.com.au  The whole program starts 2 hours earlier for a cooler start, and other improvements have been made for a more enjoyable day out.  I have kept the original postings below, to see the evolution of the event.  I will post an update on page 6 = posting no. 282.  Do come along, bring your friends, and enter before the early bird closing on Oct. 24.  Keep up the commentary, too.  Cheers, Lachlan "Doc Lach" Fraser

INITIAL POSTING:
Our beautiful green town of Marysville of about 500 residents has been utterly destroyed by the inferno that swept the state of Victoria on Saturday afternoon & evening on 7 February, 2009.  10-20 are known to be dead, there are dozens missing and the death toll could rise to 100.  We were/are a tourist town, with weekender house owners and tourists.  The police will take another week or two to turn over all the roofs to find them, then we will be allowed to visit.  The firefront was ferocious and overwhelming in speed, at 30-40 kph, a report mentioned 60 kph someplace.  Of 30-40 civic buildings/conference centres/resorts/motels there remains the bakery & Tower Motel.  20-30 houses are intact out of hundreds.
This is a internet site for the people of Marysville, and for those who support them.
We've been scattered across the state & Melbourne like the winds.  Only so many people have so many mobile phone numbers of others.  It's hard to ring Red Cross and ask individual by individual for your query to be submitted, and hope someone gets in touch later. How can you find the 2 funny blokes with the little yappy dogs when you dont know or remember their names, for example.  Marysville Primary School has a website http://www.marysville.vic.edu.au but I can't work out that it's interactive.  I'm not a tech myself, give me a few weeks but we're doing it tough out here.  So come on in, supporters too.  I'm sorry but I have tried to organise this elsewhere via relief centre at Alexandra, Melbourne GP doctors association, friends, facebook (too slow sending invites to emails, restricted reading), even emailed a TV station yesterday am, no replies.
For Marysville people -- you are our pre-runners, you will be inspired.  I've never met a nasty runner; they're good people.  Maybe its's the endorphins and de-stressing.  You can write on this site by a simple registration, use your name, initials or a tag/nicname like runners do, it doesn't matter.  You can return & edit your own postings.  You can inactivate the name in future if you like or just leave it.
This WILL be a prelude to the Marysville Marathon to be run one day, perhaps a winter trial July/August, possibly move the next date to February.  Lachlan Fraser, ph.0438 642 426   email snow.doc@hotmail.com

UPDATE 2/3/9.  For Marysville information and current list of survivors go to http://www.marysvillecommunity.net/
We appreciate the initial and emergency use of Cool Running for hosting our list.

Edited by Doc Lach, 13 October 2010 - 01:43 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

Count me in Doc. Meantime if there is anything you need, as Dog said, let us know.  ;)

#3 Hamburglar

Shooting for sub 3

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

Doc Lach, not sure if you know or not but I heard on the radio today that Marysville residents were meeting at Buxton today and were jumping in tour buses to do a tour of Marysville. Apparantly the residents aren't allowed to get out of the bus as it is a crime scene etc. Some were going back to see if their houses are still there!

#4 Doc Lach

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

Thanks.  Aware of that one, can't get off the bus.  I walked 2 streets the next morning.  I'll wait.  That bus will be bawling.  Can't say I know the hamburglar, probably in disguise.  My concerned mum says february is too hot for a marathon, might be right if it was a bigger event, but not one to dwell on this week.

#5 Hamburglar

Shooting for sub 3

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

View PostDoc Lach, on Feb 14 2009, 02:13 PM, said:

Can't say I know the hamburglar, probably in disguise.
Crewed for Spud at C2K and you passed me just past Omeo Rd at B2H. All the best mate.

#6 RMC

all day and night that's a long run..

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

DocLach. I'd certainly support a Marysville marathon but have to agree not in Feb.

#7 walker1st

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

Hi Doc, it is great, that You are already thinking about the future.

I have visited Marrysville many times, it used to be winter, for teh Lake Mountains XC skiing,
and during year for the waterfalls mainly. I really do like Marrysvile but it always felt like a trap in a way with the surrounding hills, whenever there was burnout, the smoke was comming down from the hills ...

Once I did run from Marrysville caravan park upto Lake Mountain top on the road.
It was dangerous becaus of the petrol heads using the road for illegel racing early morning
and police making sure they are not involved-bothered.

I was allways thinking about possible uphill halfmarathon from Marysvile to Lake Mountains

which would be similar to the Hobart race

but would need to authorieties and comunity cooperation.

There is many months during the years, when nothing is happening on Lake Mountains, and so some
activity like running should be wellcome for business.

Hope You will consider thia idea as well for uphil road halfmarathon.

I will come for any longer race in Marrysvile, marathon etc, but please not in february.

Perhaps if there is cooperation from authorities, something longer can be done as well, like

Healsville - DomDom - Marrysvile - Lake Mountains.

#8 blacksmith

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

Hey Lachlan,
It is good to hear directly from you. A quick search on Google turned up all your coolrunning friends who were looking for you, so I knew that you were a survivor and I was able to send a message to you, which you may ave gotten by now. I was so relieved to find good news, but I have been concerned about all the difficulties that you must be facing now.  I hope you have the basics covered, like a place to stay until you can get resettled.

Your inability that you describe to find out where your neighbors and friends are sounds very disturbing as well, but I have to say that your coolrunning message board has functioned very well to locate you, even though it is was not designed for the purpose. Within a half an hour of learning of the news of these fires on the Monday morning news and then suddenly realizing that is where you live, I was able to, from the other side of the world, find out that you had made it to safety. Because it was so easy to get information, I have been thinking all week that every community should have such a system in place in the event of a disaster. After 911, Hurricane Katrina, and the 100 mph sustained winds that hit Memphis, it took days and even weeks to find out how my friends were doing in those places. I plan to make a recommendation to our local authorities who are supposed to be preparing for emergencies, and I will use the coolrunners as an example of very effective communication!

I remember that you had described Marysville as a beautiful town and I hope it will be rebuilt. I know that things can never be the same, but hopefully enough people will want to return home and rebuild, to bring your community back to life. To offer some small measure of hope, our town (one of many) was almost entirely destroyed by the giant "Tri State Tornado" and resulting fires back in March of 1925. It must have been hard times for a while, but with the exception of the railroad yard, the houses, schools, and businesses were rebuilt. It is hard to reconcile the photographs of the devastation hanging on the wall at the Murphysboro library with the familiar town we live in now.

Again, good to hear form you. Take care and don't hesitate to let us know if there is anything that we can do for you.

John M

#9 rohan

rassum brassum msblsssl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

View Postwalker1st, on Feb 14 2009, 03:39 AM, said:

Once I did run from Marrysville caravan park upto Lake Mountain top on the road.
It was dangerous becaus of the petrol heads using the road for illegel racing early morning
and police making sure they are not involved-bothered.

I was allways thinking about possible uphill halfmarathon from Marysvile to Lake Mountains

which would be similar to the Hobart race
have done that  run too.
hate to agree with rudolf... but...
good challenge, good distance, and would make people not worry about their half mara PB, because it's be such a course specific run, with some bragging rights for some.

and i only experienced one hoon on that run.
-------------
good to hear you'e safe lachlan.
have only bumped into you a couple of times, but it brings the disaster closer to home when you 'know' some people affected.

#10 brettsrun

happy to be running, almost injury free

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Hey Doc,
Count me in for what ever support I can offer.
As AURA membership secretary I have had several queries about organising a fund raising event from within the running community, suggestions of fun runs to ultra to relays to an olympic torch style run around Australia.
If anyone is interested in investigating something along the lines of a BIG RUN to fund raise I wouldd be keen to hear from you.
Send me a PM or call 0418557052
Brett

And Doc any immediate needs, please dont hesitate to ask, especially on the running front.
You mentioned in your previous post you wanted to get out for a run, if your still looking to turn over the legs.
a small group of us will be meeting in the You Yangs at 9am Sunday morning, if you can get to me by 8am I can give you a lift

#11 runningrupert

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

I can't believe I find myself agreeing with both Walker 1st and Rohan... lol

The HM uphill gets my vote. In addition to the Mt Wellington version, there is a race in Italy called "Mapei Day" which includes events for runners, cyclists, etc.

#12 pbig

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Hey Doc, great to hear from you! I read the HeraldSun article in which you featured today, it sent chills up my spine, can barely imagine what it must have been like to be there - so glad you got out (just) in time with a few injuries and your dogs.

Not sure where you are staying at the moment, but like Brett said if you want to get out for a run (assuming you have some gear - mine won't fit you ;)) there is also some of us heading up to Ferny Creek tomorrow, 7:30am for a few hours, and I would be happy to pick you up - just PM me.

Count me in as a starter for the Marysville Running Festival! See you soon.

Cheers, Peter.

edit: a FaceBook Group may be a useful mechanism (for a survivors noticeboard that is)

#13 Hamburglar

Shooting for sub 3

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

View Postpbig, on Feb 14 2009, 03:44 PM, said:

Hey Doc, great to hear from you! I read the HeraldSun article in which you featured today,
Anyone have a link to the story?

Edit: found it.

Edited by Hamburglar, 14 February 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#14 JustinS007

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

View PostDoc Lach, on Feb 14 2009, 01:00 PM, said:

there remains the bakery & Tower Motel. 20-30 houses are intact out of hundreds.
If it's the bakery diagonally opposite where the Information Centre was then it's one of the best in the country.  And I visit a LOT of bakeries.  Wonderful people.

Count me in for the marathon.

J.

#15 brettsrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

View PostHamburglar, on Feb 14 2009, 04:15 PM, said:

Anyone have a link to the story?

Edit: found it.

Buy the real article if you can, its great to see Doc with his "2 Mans Best Friends" at his side
Just seems reasuring to see the picture, not available online.

EDIT - Problem Solved Pics attached

Attached Files

#16 Doc Lach

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:34 PM

View PostDoc Lach, on Feb 13 2009, 08:00 PM, said:

Our beautiful green town of Marysville ...
Hi guys & gals, i've just added an edit at the bottom to my 1st posting on this forum.  Busy me, but not at full speed in my head & injured hands, so yet to read my emails & thanks for sending them.  Lachlan

Edited by Doc Lach, 15 February 2009 - 12:45 PM.
to correct quote tags

#17 milov

I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 24 hours

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

Hey Lachlan,

If at the very least I can run to support your community... I will be there to run.

milov

#18 emjay

getting there....slowly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

HI Doc, I was crew for Tim C at C2K.  I am very glad to hear that you and your dogs survived the fire.  I would be very happy to join in a Marysville Marathon, it is the least any of us can do to offer our support.

#19 walker1st

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

hey Doc, I have some talks with some officials from racewalking community as well
with some officials from masters athletics.

The idea is, that if the Marrysville marathon or half ofers something nontraditional
like half up hill, or perhaps full marathon up to LM and back to Marysville etc, that there is chance that VIC masters could make it as official masters VIC uphill halfmarathon championships giving age category diploms and so on.

Racewalking is also interested in idea to have 20km walk uphill, and if teh timing is right it can see all our elite walkers - this will be discussed on higher level, I was sugesting the time between Xmass and New Year, But racewalkers ( and also public fitness walk will be incorporated) will be happy to include this in any time of the year, but that might not see our top elite.
Since there is no racewalk in this country organized on roads, all races are using cycling-walking paths off roads, walking officials will probably not go into dealing with police for road closures, but if runners will deal with local police and get roads closed, walkers will be happy to join in.
(the best would be have wave starts, with enough time between racewalk, fitness walks, elite run and funrun).

On the other note, I do have a PC CD screensaver from Marrysville - it has pics from Marrysville, waterfalls and suround and it used to be sold in 1 of the shops, pics could be 5-10 years old.

If that shop got burned down and all teh CD's are lost etc and if there is interest, I can somehow
do teh coppies or lend somebody to burn teh copies and sell them to running clubs masters aths etc and all teh proced to give directly to Doc to use it as he sees fit, he knows people tehre best, so it does not go via complicated channels and vaporize along the way.

Please give me some feedback on this.

#20 Maggot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

View Postbrettsrun, on Feb 14 2009, 03:15 PM, said:

And Doc any immediate needs, please dont hesitate to ask, especially on the running front.

Doc Lach: only a small thing, but I have a race shirt from last November's Great North Walk N.S.W. never worn, label still on. Size Medium so too big for me ;) . I will be glad to pass it on to you as i imagine such items have gone, and noticed you wearing yours at recent races.
So glad to hear you are OK.
Like others, I will be very keen to support a run at Marysville or Lake Mountain.
Best wishes,
Maggotman ~ Mal

#21 Bryan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

View Postmilov, on Feb 15 2009, 06:23 PM, said:

Hey Lachlan,
If at the very least I can run to support your community... I will be there to run.
Ditto for me. I saw the article in the Herald Sun while I was down at Aireys Inlet.

I had heard you were caught up in all of this and hoped things were OK. Its always hard to know what to say in these situations. Glad to hear you are otherwise OK.

As I write this though I hear a fire has just started in Sherbrooke....

#22 Beanie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

View Postmilov, on Feb 15 2009, 06:23 PM, said:

Hey Lachlan,

milov

Ditto.
Glad to hear you are ok.
Beanie

#23 Maggot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

View PostMaggot, on Feb 15 2009, 07:28 PM, said:

Doc Lach: only a small thing, but I have a race shirt from last November's Great North Walk N.S.W. never worn, label still on. Size Medium so too big for me :D . I will be glad to pass it on to you as i imagine such items have gone, and noticed you wearing yours at recent races.

I have had a proper look and the race shirt is actually from Coast 2 Kosci last December. As a DNF'er in that race, I haven't yet earnt my stripes to wear this. It will fit you no probs.
Also have a bright orange Rogaining Vic Champs t-shirt I recall you have been seen wearing too.
I know they are just fabric at the end of the day, but hopefully they may hold some symbolic value beyond their mere material worth. I know my race shirts do ;) .
Maggotman

#24 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hey Lachlan,

Great to hear from you, a lot of relieved CRs round here.
Good thinking Maggot, I actually have a brand new spare shirt from last years GNW100s. You are more than welcome to it Doc.
Small things but if they help?

Spud

#25 Grey beard

I beat Monas once...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

Heartfelt sympathies to you and all of Marysville Doc. The scale of the disaster up there is just unbelievable - I hate to think what the next week or so will reveal in terms of the tragic human cost. I guess that's what's behind your initial posting on this thread - the uncertainty stretching on must be awful to bear, and we all wish there was something we could do to help. Something symbolic like an annual running festival would be great and would help rebuild the economy of the town. At least with people like you we know the spirit is alive and well.

#26 RunningM

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

Glad to read that you are OK. I can't begin to imagine what you have been through / are going through.
Count me in for any running event which would help the people affected by this horrific tragedy.
Wonderful idea.
M

#27 sook54

channelling my inner athlete

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

Any Marysville residents thinking of registering here - please let us know via email to info@coolrunning.com.au and we will make sure you are set up with full access rights to personal messages etc from the start (usually there is an automatic restriction until you have posted 5 times).

#28 Davo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:33 AM

View PostRunningM, on Feb 15 2009, 10:06 PM, said:

Glad to read that you are OK. I can't begin to imagine what you have been through / are going through.
Count me in for any running event which would help the people affected by this horrific tragedy.
Wonderful idea.
M

Me too.  Great idea !

#29 SMC42K

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:39 AM

It is great to hear you are ok, Doc Lach. but very sad about the tragic loss of life and property. I crewed for Brick in the C2K and remember you from it.
I would love to support your proposed run. I think for once, Walker1 has come up with something sensible with his suggestion for a half & full marathon. But not in the heat of summer, or between July & September as the calender is rather full during that time, which could impact on the numbers you get. October could be a good time as it's in the spring, with the new growth in nature and, I'm sure, the town.

#30 youngrunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:19 AM

I'm sure Doc and those organising will be thinking of a number of issues, but I would just want to make sure that this wasn't going to put undue strain on the town, ie will there be enouhg accomodation, etc to have say 100 runners and families descend on Marysville? That said I'm certainly in for the event and think it would be great.

Jimmy

#31 wombatoutofhell

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

View PostSMC42K, on Feb 16 2009, 09:39 AM, said:

It is great to hear you are ok, Doc Lach. but very sad about the tragic loss of life and property. I crewed for Brick in the C2K and remember you from it.
I would love to support your proposed run. I think for once, Walker1 has come up with something sensible with his suggestion for a half & full marathon. But not in the heat of summer, or between July & September as the calender is rather full during that time, which could impact on the numbers you get. October could be a good time as it's in the spring, with the new growth in nature and, I'm sure, the town.
October is in direct conflict with Melbourne Marathon, so I'd avoid that month.  I doubt I'll be able to run in this but I might be able to help out on the day in some way-we'll see what date is settled on.

#32 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

A couple of thoughts;

-Its 28km from Healsville to Marysville, maybe a race starting closer to Healsville and running to Marysville would encourage more people to say in Healsville and help solve the accommodation problem.

-If you look at the Australian Marathon Calendar(click here), obviously you would pick a date before the 1st August, and maybe even ANZAC day, because you don't want to clash with what ever else is happening, and you might get a lot of interstate runners, if its clear of the rest of the Marathons?, but does it need to be a Marathon?  28km is achievable by a lot more people, and putting it on in Feb wouldn't be as risky.

#33 funrunner63

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

View PostDigger, on Feb 15 2009, 06:59 PM, said:

does it need to be a Marathon?  28km is achievable by a lot more people, and putting it on in Feb wouldn't be as risky.

Agree with Digger. It has been pointed out before, Australia is short of a lot of 25k-30k events which seem to be more prevalent in Europe.

It's a big jump from half to full in marathon training, and many people preparing for a full would probably benfit by racing at the intermediate distance 2 mths out from their target race,

Funrunner aka Craig

#34 RobHall

well who ever thought this would happen?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

count me in for registration whatever the distance.

I just don't know what else to say other than there is no place I liked going to more on a winter weekend.

#35 Doc Lach

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:11 AM

i'm gonna enjoy reading all your comments, give me something nice to work on, consider.  please check my now edited 1st posting at the start of this forum.  we have nearly completed our grassroots listing of all those accounted for, plus missing or confirmed dead.  privacy is not an issue for us, but we respect it if family have kept confirmation of a death by the police confidential, we would have them as unaccounted.  please spread the word re our list, see my comments after it.  i will actually get time to enjoy and open emails today now that this work is being final;ised...    lachlan    i've had one and a half runs in  these 11 days, so going for it today.

#36 kathmandu

wax mystical

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

this sounds fab, id come over for a shorter distance race (up to 30k), but wouldnt do the marathon.

but its your event Doc Lach, you do whatever you want, and there will be a huge turn out regardless.

#37 shark

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

Doc

I also like Digger's 28k idea.  I can guarantee a reasonable field if it's on.  Leading towards the Sept/Oct Marathon circuit needs some 20-30k runs.  The cause here is fantastic and this would allow us to contribute by staying in the area.  I'm in.

s

#38 farmboy

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

G'day Doc,

glad to hear you are ok, support anything you organize in way of a run, if you need anything give me a ring and/if you need to getaway for a few days I always need a reliable milker to give me a hand.

Rick 0428266292

#39 paigebaby

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

i may not be fit enough to run a half or full marathon but i would certainly come down to volunteer and support.
On the accommodation side, i would be more than happy camping, which takes the stress of finding accom.

#40 PhilN

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

28k Event from Healsville to Marysville would be a great event and would definitely be there no matter what shape I am in. Having it on Anzac day weekend is also a good lead up race to Gold Coast or final hard run before Great Ocean Road Taper as there is no good 25 - 30k lead up races before these events so I am sure you would get a great field. But no matter what you decide to do I will definitely add this one to my calender
Look forward to hearing more about this event

Edited by PhilN, 18 February 2009 - 10:07 PM.

#41 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

I was told a long time ago that my ramblings about running can change peoples lives, and after my last posting on this thread I have been lurking with interest, and clearly somebody's life is going to change for ever when they become race director of this race.

So here are a few more ramblings:

-If a 28km race starts at say 10AM, it will solve some of the accommodation problems as Melbourne based people can drive up on the morning of the race. A one way race will mean that the friends of the runners will have to by lunch etc, which will also help the little business's.

-With a late start, you would also be able to have an early start at Marysville for those ultra Runners, who could run down to Healsville and back, and then give them a 56km option.

-If you ran it on Easter Saturday, it would give the up country and interstate people some travel/Holiday time in the Yarra Valley.

-It may not have escaped your attention that in South Africa, every Easter Saturday, they run Two Oceans over a 56km course, and most SA Comrades runners use it as a guide to how their training is going, so there is some sort of symmetry about it, and who knows, we might even get it rated as an 'Official Comrades Qualifying race' :unsure:

#42 bruncle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:28 AM

Marysville had a special place in my heart and I was very sad to learn that it had been so catastrophically affected by the fires. I'd definitely be interested in doing a run over 28k or less.

#43 RMC

all day and night that's a long run..

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

View PostDigger, on Feb 16 2009, 10:59 AM, said:

Its 28km from Healesville to Marysville, maybe a race starting closer to Healsville and running to Marysville would encourage more people to say in Healsville and help solve the accommodation problem.

I can't see a running race going from Healesville to Marysville along the sealed road north out of Healesville. That road is seriously dangerous for 10k, very narrow, lots of steep uphill to Dom Dom saddle and extremely popular with tourists who do 100k/hr along that section. I've been caught many times on the road out of Healesville behind 15-20 cars. You would have to close the road, which given it's a major through road across the range I doubt it.

I think a run in and around Marysville would be good, doesn't have to be more than 30k although I do like the Marysville to Lake mountain (and return) option.  :unsure:  No doubt trails would be off limits for quite a few years. As for accommodation in Marysville just give it time and it will be rebuilt as there are some great cross country ski trails just up the mountain.

#44 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

View PostRMC, on Feb 18 2009, 04:31 PM, said:

I can't see a running race going from Healesville to Marysville along the sealed road north out of Healesville. That road is seriously dangerous for 10k, very narrow, lots of steep uphill to Dom Dom saddle and extremely popular with tourists who do 100k/hr along that section. I've been caught many times on the road out of Healesville behind 15-20 cars. You would have to close the road, which given it's a major through road across the range I doubt it.

I never thought that they would stop the trams on Princes Bridge in Melbourne for hours so Marathon Runners could cross, but they now do.

Is amazing what is possible when you talk to the right people, who believe in what you are doing.

Never say something is not possible.

#45 jeckyl

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

Doc,  good to hear you / canine friends are Okay. my heart goes out to the community of Marysville
Is & will aways be a special location for the family & me.. Luv to help out for any origanised run.. though I'm side lined for some time  should anything crop up for a hand..Agree with others on the timing , not summer/autumn try for  winter after Traralgon M???
Wot size runners are U?? have a pair of last seasons Saucony's hardly touched for a good home

#46 brettsrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

View Postjeckyl, on Feb 22 2009, 04:18 PM, said:

Wot size runners are U?? have a pair of last seasons Saucony's hardly touched for a good home
Docs a 9 1/2 Runner

#47 Grey beard

I beat Monas once...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

View PostRMC, on Feb 18 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

I think a run in and around Marysville would be good, doesn't have to be more than 30k although I do like the Marysville to Lake mountain (and return) option.  :unsure:  No doubt trails would be off limits for quite a few years. As for accommodation in Marysville just give it time and it will be rebuilt as there are some great cross country ski trails just up the mountain.

As another lover of Marysville, these are my thoughts. If you want to get lots of people you'll need to keep to popular distances. Marysville to Buxton would make a lovely fast Half along the Steavenson River. Beautiful country that will come back quickly from the fires because of the river. Out and back routes make good marathons too - it evens out the conditions. There is enough space to keep the start/finish and turn-arounds out of the two towns (22 kms apart), and only one road would need to be closed (with alternatives available). There would be plenty of scope for a weekend running festival including a Saturday hill run up the Lake Mountain Road or up Falls Rd to Steavensons Falls and back - or just a circuit around the town via the lookout. And imagine what the rebuilt guest houses and restaurants could do with pasta loading! The King Island Imperial 20 event has some nice touches that could easily be emulated too.

Has anyone heard what's happening at Lake Mountain? I heard unofficially the new facilities are burnt, and the snow gum forest is badly damaged. Sounds like too much tree risk to open this winter even if they could run the place out of a caravan. Maybe we need to think about a running festival as early as Spring this year to inject some business back into the economy and show our solidarity?

#48 Doc Lach

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:45 AM

Hi fellow runners, I'm looking forward to reading all your comments and putting in some replies.  That will be nice relaxation therapy, constructive diversion from our tragedy.  The past 2.5 weeks has be very difficult and busy, so I am just now working down my priority list.  Several of us have been working hard to get a listing of 500 or so residents of Marysville who are alive, and a short list of those still unaccounted for.  There are loads of phone calls, emails, cross-referencing, list updates.  We now have a website up and running: http://marysvillecommunity.net/   -- I will check the letters shortly; googling doesn't bring up "marysville community" yet but that will happen in coming days.  I know the area quite well and will give some input as to course, distances (short/marathon), time of the year in the next few days.  Thanks very much for your concern and interest.  We are rebuilding our community, starting with the people -- we've had a gathering at Marysville golf course (2 km from the town, still closed for police forensic work for 1-2 weeks more) last Thursday, and today returning there for our specific Marysville memorial service.  I will be running a clinic at our temporary Buxton building tomorrow.  atb (all the best), Lachlan

#49 twosheds

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

View PostDoc Lach, on Feb 25 2009, 06:45 AM, said:

Hi fellow runners, I'm looking forward to reading all your comments and putting in some replies.  That will be nice relaxation therapy, constructive diversion from our tragedy.  The past 2.5 weeks has be very difficult and busy, so I am just now working down my priority list.  Several of us have been working hard to get a listing of 500 or so residents of Marysville who are alive, and a short list of those still unaccounted for.  There are loads of phone calls, emails, cross-referencing, list updates.  We now have a website up and running: http://marysvillecommunity.net/   -- I will check the letters shortly; googling doesn't bring up "marysville community" yet but that will happen in coming days.  I know the area quite well and will give some input as to course, distances (short/marathon), time of the year in the next few days.  Thanks very much for your concern and interest.  We are rebuilding our community, starting with the people -- we've had a gathering at Marysville golf course (2 km from the town, still closed for police forensic work for 1-2 weeks more) last Thursday, and today returning there for our specific Marysville memorial service.  I will be running a clinic at our temporary Buxton building tomorrow.  atb (all the best), Lachlan

Your community needs leaders like you Doc- you are an inspiration!
two sheds

#50 KevinCassidy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

View Posttwosheds, on Feb 24 2009, 09:26 PM, said:

Your community needs leaders ;oke you Doc- youre an inspiration!
two sheds

Here, Here.  Well said, twosheds

I can't run to save myself these days but will be at the proposed run in some form or other.