• You cannot reply to this topic
75 replies to this topic

#1 FlashDuck

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:55 AM

I was loathe to start another thread on this topic, but the other headings were too misleading.

I'm intending to do the Mt Wilson to Bilpin run for the first time this year (my cheque's in the mail, really).

Travelling from Canberra, I will need to stay 'up there' overnight.  I have researched the links on the website for accommodation, however I don't need a romantic secluded cottage with stunning views of the escarpment for hundreds of dollars for a night.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it, or if you would be interested in sharing and splitting the cost.

After the Shoalhaven KoM, I am *really* looking forward to this!  It pains me to say it, but to quote Mister G "I have been converted to the excellence of trail running"!

;)

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:43 AM

Good to see that you have entered Flash Duck.

I will be back for my second run this year. It is a very enjoyable scenic run. Although, the last 7km are not pleasant.

Sorry, can't help you with the accommodation side of things.

#3 Miss Gazelle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:11 PM

Looking forward to this run Saturday. Like Flashduck, accommodation wasn't quite suitable   <_<  so we will probably stop at a motel on the way up the hill.

Any other CRs doing this run?

#4 Dave

There is life, death and 6ft track....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:34 PM

Yes, I'll be there and aiming to significantly lower last years time (3:18:11) but more importantly this will be my last long hit out before Sydney.

#5 J.L.K.P

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:42 PM

whats beta n.s.w surfaces or victorias surface cos im from vic and i was just wondering
okay talk to ya later
BYE BYE BYE BYE  :D    B)    :)    :)    :D    B)

#6 Fats

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:52 PM

This is my last long run b4 Sydney too. The hard thing is going to be stopping myself from racing it. Trouble is the cold air on my scalp & the sight of a lovely rough trail gets me all excited...   :)

#7 Amjan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

This is one of my favourite runs. Assuming my troubled (and troublesome) right leg is better, I will be running - not racing. Gefjam will also be there.

I have sent you an email about accomodation, Flashduck.

Edit - bugger it, I'll run even with a dodgy leg!

#8 Mister G

Kosciuszko Deprivation Syndrome since 2005

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:25 PM

Might be there. Haven't run it for a few years, but a fun event, and if you pace it right, you can pass a lot of people in the last 7K.

#9 queen_bee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

I'm there. I loved this run last year and am looking forward to it again this weekend. Ran it last year as a long training run prior to Sydney. With the same tack again this year - so am not going for a great finish time, just a great day out.

#10 Professor

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:52 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Fats:
Trouble is the cold air on my scalp    :)  

Yet again, you AND me brother (scalps that is)!!

I'll be there Saturday, running very gently and certainly not racing. My performance will make up my mind about the Syd full. I've entered, but am in any sort of state to run it???

Prof

#11 Action

Run away, run away, run away....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:31 PM

Should be a big turnout of CRs and Striders.  TigerMeg and I will be up there to spectate and cheer you lot on for Saturday, and then we will roll on through to Mudgee to run the Half there on Sunday.    ;)  

I hope there is a two week gap, and not just 6 days, between W2B and C2S next year!  :)

#12 expozay

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:14 PM

I have a friend who is thinking about running this.  Trouble is this friend is not a particularly good mountain runner.  If this friend had plans on running pretty slowly for say... 29km... and then walking the last 7 because she is too slow and lazy to run up the hill, would she come last?  

It says that there are sweepers on the course, but doesn't say how long they give people.

#13 Sportsman

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:28 PM

I was thinking of taking it a bit easy too. Is anybody going to race it?

#14 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

There are few races in the sydney area that I would rate more highly than this one. Given the missus is injured there is a possibility I will run. Just got to engineer a leave pass    <_<    and get my bod in shape after last weekend's pasting   :rolleyes:  

expozay - last year people were still finishing around the 5hr mark. I suspect the sweepers will just mark the back of the pack and are only there to pull you off if you look like croaking.

Apparently its the 10th year this year - how many out there ran the first one ? I did.

#15 Amjan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:31 PM

quote:

Originally posted by expozay:
I have a friend who is thinking about running this.  Trouble is this friend is not a particularly good mountain runner.  If this friend had plans on running pretty slowly for say... 29km... and then walking the last 7 because she is too slow and lazy to run up the hill, would she come last?  

It says that there are sweepers on the course, but doesn't say how long they give people.

She would have to battle me for that last spot, and I know your friend has bad luck making bets with me.

#16 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:35 PM

quote:

See that's the problem, how can you take it easy on such a great course with a bunch of CRs and Striders about?

#17 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

A small piece of info worth passing on - Willy to Billy and Six Foot Track Marathon are sort of becoming like sister events. Why ? they are both a very similar style and both benefit the Blue Mountains RFS Brigades.

To meet the entry criteria for the Six foot you have historically had to run a 4hr marathon or equivalent. This will remain, but we are adding a "or sub 4:30 or under at Willy to Billy" as an examination of results has shown that many 4:30 runners can still run under 7:00 at Six Foot.

So if you are keen to run at Six Foot next March but hate road running then maybe Willy to Billy would be a good idea.

#18 Miss Gazelle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:33 AM

quote:

So if you are keen to run at Six Foot next March

It's not a keenness for me....it's an obsession...unfinished business.   :D

#19 Dave

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:54 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Sportsman:

Sportsman, I'll be trying to follow our discussion from Sunday, ie take it easy early and bring it home hard. As to whether I'll be able to hold myself back I will not be taking bets  :)

#20 Chappo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:09 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions about flying/jetlag and running an event such as the Willy to Billy? I fly in from LA on Friday morning (19th), giving me about 28 hours to hydrate and prepare for the race.

Any tips (and yes, I'll be doing my DVT exercises on the 14 hours flight!!)

Chappo

#21 Barney

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:29 AM

Kevin wrote:  

quote:

Apparently its the 10th year this year - how many out there ran the first one ? I did.

I did as well...and I'll be there again this weekend. Just going to take it a bit easier this year so that I'm a bit fresher for Trailwalker. I ran both last year, but found that running Willy 2 Billyhard was probably not ideal preparation for the Trailwalker.

See you all there

Chris

#22 Emu

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:24 PM

yay!

Thanks for the heartening info on 6ft track entry times Kevin.

The three marathons i have run have all been 4hr 36 min exactly and when i did the willy to billy 2 years ago i did it in 3hr 45min. This year i'm hoping for a similar time. I would love to do the 6foot next year and now it looks like a possibility....Saturday can't come soon enough  :)

#23 Fats

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:24 PM

A late scratching from me   <_<  . I've been hit with food poisoning the last few days and the belly still isn't right.

Hope you all have a great run - I'm very jealous! Still there's always next year I suppose...

#24 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:22 PM

Unfortunately I won't be coming up after all. A shame really, but I am just not going to be fit enough to justify a) the cost of entry b) another day away from the family

#25 djl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:51 PM

This one is probably my favourite race.  Hoping to pace it a bit better than I did last year.  It's fun if you get it right and you pass people all the way up the last hill  :) .  But if I try to race it and get it wrong I'll be in a world of trouble because I haven't done too many long training runs this year (as usual!).  Ah well, see how it goes tomorrow I guess.

Fats and Kevin, sorry to hear you won't be there.  Next year then.

#26 Bandanna

runs on Tooheys New and Heinz baked beans

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:58 PM

Good luck and best wishes to all those competing tomorrow.

Had been toying with the idea of doing the race (Striders Super Series points and some peer pressure); but given Sydney Trailwalker looming on Friday thought it prudent to concentrate on that instead.

#27 KIT

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 01:04 AM

Good Luck to you all!  Enjoy!  I might try for this one next year.... sounds like a great run.
Look after those calves amjan  :)  I hope you have a good run!  
KIT

#28 Blue Dog

CoolRunning's Ambassador-For-Life

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Location:Sans Souci, Sydney's small southern sparkling sapphire suburb.

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:06 AM

I'll be there with the better half. Her first time, my second.

This run really rates. Well put together, scenic & tough. To qoute the eloquent Mr G: "yee-haw!"  B)

#29 Bernie G

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:41 AM

Yes, my firt tomorrow.  I am really looking forward to it, particularly after everyone telling me what a great event it is.

Kit I hope you are joining us next year  ;)  .

#30 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:41 AM

Have a good run tomorrow everyone.  Plu

#31 Sarge

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:43 PM

This was another great day at the races. Margaret Tadrosse and her crew that organise this event have got it just right in what they provide for the runners.

A pretty chilly morning and a slight wind that made running into it a challenge greeted us all.

I decided to have a crack this year and try to knock Blue Dog off for the first time. Of course I didn't let him know but after fifteen or so k's he knew that this was going to the wire. I had him till the last three k's where I ran out of legs and he went past. He beat me by three minutes. Great run mate. I know you had to dig deep.

I did a 28 min PB on my first attempt last year. Very happy.

Great to catch up with the usual suspects and some new ones like Belinda ( Horrie's better half, Lewis from Toronto. Simon from Canberra, Kevin ( firie with Prof) and Mat ( friend of Queen Bee) Sorry FR I had the wrong good sort.

Well done to all who qualified for the Six Foot next year especially Bernie G.

Great to see.

#32 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:03 AM

What a great day for a 35km bush run!

We arrived at Bilpin just after 8 to be greeted by O Runner, James M, Mohammad and other CR Striders as well as the crisp mountain air. Walked up to the bus and caught up with FlashDuck who brought a friend up with her to experience the Rural Fire Service hospitality.

We then boarded the bus and there was a real buzz of excitement and anticipation with everybody busily chatting away. We then arrived at Mt Wilson and was greeted by Sarge who was really primed for a big run. Great result Big Man!

We then lined up for our numbers and some lovely scones with jam and a cuppa. Just gotta love this RFS hospitality. Then it was the call for the group Striders and Cool Runners photos.

Then it was to the start to be greeted by the starter's gun. Then we were off, a lot not to be seen until the finish. We were tucked in with Striders legend, 72 year old Frank Dearn who was being accompanied by Kevin O'Kane, resident Striders character Brian Ogilwy and a few others. We stuck with our plan of taking the first 15km easy as there is a lot of steep technical trails in this section, both uphill and downhill. As it was, Belinda still managed to roll her ankle on a downhill section. Then she managed to trip over a rock. No major damage, just a scraped knee and we were off again. Got to drink station 3 in 1:52, which is around the 15.5km mark. This was slightly behind the target I had set but I didn't mind as I knew we had stuck to the race plan. Once we got to some open running through the country side and then along some wider, more undulating trails, we slowly started to pick up the pace. We overtook about 3 runners in this section and Belinda's form was good. Then we got to the 7km downhill section, Belinda exploded and rolled down with great efficiency and we managed to overtake at least 6 runners, including a few Striders, which made Belinda feel good. One of those we overtook here was Brian Ogilwy and the look on his face when he realised Belinda overtook him was priceless. There was stunned silence for a while before he could utter he couldn't believe he was being overtaken by Belinda. I had a laugh with him and told him it meant he wasn't working hard enough. We then got to the drink station at the bridge just before the 6km climb. It was here that we noticed Amjan heading back. It looked like her race was over.

Belinda didn't hang around at the drink station and was off again, not wanting to slow the momentum she had built up going downhill. When I eventually caught up with her, I suggested she have another GU but she had lost it. As it turned out, about another km up the hill I managed to find an unopened GU on the trail. Another priceless moment. We managed to overtake another couple going up the hill who had slowed to a walk. Finally, we reached the road, which meant the end of the uphill, which I was starting to celebrate. Belinda didn't want a bar of this and uttered she just wanted to finish the race. We managed to overtake another couple of runners along this stretch who were having problems with cramps. Then a final surge to the finish saw us finish in 4:04. Belinda was overjoyed at finishing the toughest run she had ever done. I was so happy for her and yet another priceless moment happened when I gave her a congratulatory kiss and Professor witnessed it and wished he had a camera.

Belinda has now qualified for 6 Foot Track and she is still trying to come to terms with her achievement. She now has a serious decision to make for early next year, Canberra or 6 Foot Track. Either way, plenty to motivate her over summer.

But firstly, there is the Sydney Marathon to conquer.

#33 Uncle Dave

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:44 AM

There was success for the Striders at this years' Willy to Billy, with Darren Benson snaring a come-from-behind victory over brother-in-law to be, Chris Truscott. Both were nervously looking over their shoulders at times, fearing the presence of  World Champion Emma Murray, who took out the womens race comfortably, and also claimed 4th overall. Another strider, supermum Suzanne Kelly, claimed 2nd in the womens' race, in an impressive 2.42.

A little further back in the overall standings, evergreen Frank Dearn's over 70's victory, proved a further success for the Striders, while
a host of other pb's and personal milestones were recorded, including 6FT qualifying times for Bernie G & Belinda (who generously paced Horrie and ensured he was adequately hydrated throughout  :)  ).

Well done also to Ron Schwebel for finishing strongly in an improvised sling after a mid-race wrestle with mother earth!    :)

#34 Bernie G

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:06 PM

I have qualified for 6FT   :D    :D    :D  .

As this was the first time I ran this course, I asked Blue Dog a few times what it was like. He assured me I'd be fine, it was a great course a couple of hills in the beginning, with a long hill at the end.  Well, he wasn't wrong.

I expected to run between 4hrs to 4:15, but I  finished in 3:48:??.  I was happy (and stuffed).

Congradulations to everyone who ran yesterday, some great times and some huge PBs.

#35 Miss Gazelle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:34 PM

Headed off with the family Friday night from the Central Coast, thinking Bilpin was close to Katoomba and a 4h+ drive was ahead of us. When we got to Wahroonga, I decided it time to get a map out to look at where we had to go. Blue Mountains map…nothing, Sydney map…..nothing, NSW foldout map…..nothing, Oh-Oh. Ah, never mind, I still have all the info from the race that was posted out. Open that up….nothing. Panic started to set in and desperately reviewed each map source again. Found on the inside cover of the Sydney Directory a small dot with Bilpin written next to it and, even though it wasn’t covered in the directory, it was enough to see we had to head to Windsor to get us there okay. In hindsight, there would be no need to spend the night nearby, as it only ended up being a 2.5 hour drive from home. Anyway, we decided to stay at Richmond, knowing that as soon as we started up the hill the price of accommodation escalated 300%. Found a little motel, opposite a breathalyser station and scored the last room available. Only problem, just one queen size bed.

Shocker of a night sharing the bed with 6yo and 9mth old, with partner just getting 2 hours sleep. I was the same but I am quite used to it now with the little one.

Headed up to Bilpin and found the hall at the Finish pretty easy. Free bacon and egg roll breakfast was a wonderful surprise, however I sliced my thumb open whilst preparing ours which ended up costing me a few minutes at an aid station during the race to get it bandaged again to try and stop the continuous bleeding (damn thumb!).

Jumped on the first bus for the start, feeling terribly for leaving my partner with the kids for the next 6 or so hours. Mental note: must make it up to him.

The start was FREEZING and quickly put my gloves and beanie on… but still very cold with short sleeves. One of the volunteers lent me his jacket which was purrrrfect and I didn’t want to give it back. Met some parents of another Coastie running and had a chat to pass the time away.

Saw lots of CRs and Striders and was nervous about donning my CR hat for the first time. Anyway, got ready with 10 minutes to go, got in the CR snapshot and finally felt like a CR.  

Saw Emma Murray at the start. Wow, she looks so fit. Really wanted to go up and congratulate her for her recent World Championship title but I’m not that kind of “chatty” person, one of my character flaws! Now I feel terrible for not saying something.

Saw some Terrigal Trotters and had a chat then it was time to head off.

The race itself I really enjoyed. It was great to run my first race as a recognised CR and meet and chat with other CRs along the way. Superflake, Queen Bee, expozay, Action, Blue Dog and a few others it was great to meet you and put a face to your CR handle. Expozay flew up that final ascent….go girl!   :D  

There were many parts of the race that were absolutely breathtaking….some breathtaking by scenery and others breathtaking by the running (huff’n’puff stuff). Every now and then the negative thoughts would kick in (are we there yet, are we there yet) but then I would remember why I was there in the first place, and relaxed and enjoyed the run. Couldn’t believe how incredibly stiff and sore I was at the finish, and the muscles still felt like they hadn’t warmed up. At one stage I felt something fall from me and hit the ground. I panicked, thinking I had lost my race bib, but it was just my mobile phone breaking into 3 pieces after falling out of my pocket and hitting a rock.  :rolleyes:   It went in for repair a few weeks ago, only to come back with the same problem occurring intermittently. Hopefully it will now be fixed!

The cold wind was the only unwelcome feature in an otherwise excellent race.

Margaret and the team organising the event have to be commended for the excellent organization of this event. The volunteers (as always) were fantastic, exceeding all expectations. They were sitting there in the cold all day but that didn’t deter the enthusiasm and kindness they kept handing out to us runners. A very big thankyou to you all, especially the wonderful lady who re-bandaged my thumb.  

Would have stayed for a chat at the end but the family had had enough so, for the first time ever, headed off home before the presentations (feeling very guilty).

As a virgin Willy to Billy runner I had entered to qualify 4.30 for the 6foot 2006. My current fitness and recent times suggested I may be lucky to go sub 4…so that was my aim for the race. Ended up astonishing myself with a 3h28m20s finish so I was woohooing all the way home (and a little bit this morning too).  :D  

Congratulation to all CRs who ran the race and achieved or exceeded their goals. For those of you I met, I hope to have the opportunity to chat more with you in the future. For those I didn’t get to meet, hopefully I will get that opportunity at another race or CR drinks in the meantime.

Cheers,
MtT

#36 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:41 PM

Some photos, mainly striders, are here

I drove up the F3 from Wahroonga about 3:30pm yesterday and saw a female in the passenger seat of a blue 4wd-thing pajero? was that you myrtle ? whoever it was was wearing their CR cap.

#37 James M

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:55 PM

Pictures of Coolrunners are HERE
Please add names as you see them
Jim

PS yesterday i was the ball   :D      :D

#38 KIT

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 04:37 PM

Hi
Congratulations to you all!!! Sounds like a great day!  A big WOO HOO to Bernie and Belinda!  What an effort!  What a great feeling.... 6ft track here you come   :D  I can not wait to catch up and here all about it!  Put your feet up and bask in the glory   :D  
Kit

#39 Blue Dog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:26 PM

A great big thankyou goes to Margaret and her wonderful group of RFS firies for making this yet another fantastic running experience.

I'm aware that the organisers pitch this event as 'a run for runners', and pride themselves on delivering the best service available for all competitors, and yesterday was no exception.

The trip to the mountains via Windsor & Richmond saw some moderate rainfall, but on getting nearer to Bilpin the rain had ceased and we were met by a dry but chilly morning, with the odd bit of sun trying to poke through.

Spent a while exchanging all the usual greetings with other members of rhe running fraternity as they arrived, and before long it was onto the buses for the trip to the start at Mt Wilson.

The gathering at Mt Wilson is accompanied by registration, tea, coffee and scones, which really lends the event a very friendly picnic day type of feel.

On being called to the starting line, we stripped off our warm attire and of course became a captive audience. A microphone was handed around to some really lovely looking non-runners who probably said some really insightful words, which none of us could hear over the chattering of our teeth.

Eventually they gave the mike back to the man with the gun, who kinda' looked like Yosemite Sam, and when he tried to shoot a passing King Parrot we decided to run.

The early hills, whilst short, have a considerable degree of slope, and left me feeling that it was going to be a long day.

To make matters worse, after about 5km Sarge came barrelling past, and left me in no doubt as to his intentions.

I chased the bugger hard through these initial stages to the first 'single track' section, where he observed running etiquette & let me through on request, somewhere around the 10km mark.

From here we ran over a km or so of gentle climb through scrub before reaching a fast downhill piece of the course. We had a loose group of five runners and about this stage I was successful in dropping them all off except one, who remained stuck to my rear.

On reaching the next uphill I was somewhat 'miffed' to find Sarge once again go past and put a healthy gap between us as we ran into a clearing of open farmland and through the 15km checkpoint. Grrrr.

Sarge is a big unit, in the mould of Mr G, and can really run hills. Strong as an ox, and just as smart, too.

The course took us into a short stretch of scrub, which exited onto a pleasantly winding bitumen road. Early on here I had a few glimpses of Sarge some 200-300m ahead, but soon lost all contact.

We followed the road surface to the 21km point, a U-turn which denotes the beginning of the long downhill fire-trail to the river bridge, a continuous descent of about 6km.

Running this section solo, I tried to relax and concentrate on putting in some big ones. I managed to pick up two places here but alas, no Sarge, until at the very bottom of the valley at the river crossing I saw him paused at the drink stop.

He didn't stay long, because as he lifted his melon and saw me, he took off up the hill, running like he'd stolen my wallet. At this stage I really considered that he may be out of touch: as I said, he's strong on the hills.

My only consolation was that I was hurting, so I knew he would be also, and there was a tiny question mark about his 30k+ endurance, so what the heck, I just kept pushing and hoping. On a few occasions I suspected I may have stolen back 100m or so on him, but then it would seem to lengthen again at the next 'viewing'.

Probably about halfway up the hill I got a big surge of joy as I knew I had definitely drawn closer; to 150m or so, and at that time he had a little peek over his shoulder and I chuckled as I saw the 'rabbit eyes' thing happen; an absolutely golden moment.

Damn, there's nothing like a hard earned catch  to heighten the senses and fixate one's attention and focus. I finally caught & passed him at around 31km, with about 4kms to go; the poor bloke seemed really spent. Too bad, so sad.

This made me feel a whole lot better and I ran home quite strongly from there for an 11 minute reduction on last years time. Very happy.

Hot showers, steak sandwiches and a few cold beers at the finish with fellow runners topped off a great day.

Congratulations to the various winners, including Emma Murray, whom we are all so proud of; PB'ers, 6ft Track qualifiers and finishers. Particular mention to CR Sportsman...a big tough effort, get well soon.

Sarge, one helluva run mate: thanks. Your cruelty to animals knows no bounds. Behind my smug
exterior, I am very, very sore today.   B)

#40 queen_bee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:05 PM

Great reports from everyone so far.

When I ran this one last year, it made it to the "must do every year list" and I was happy to bring my close friend Lisa up for her first shot at it as well. (This was the longest distance she had run ever, and after months of many injuries, so I was hoping she too would love it)

Started out with the aim to go anything under last year (3:44) and check on my marathon fitness for Sydney.

What a beautiful morning as Lisa, CR Matt and I headed up to Bilpin. The start was like a piece of CR/Striders fairy bread (man, those colours do not go together!) and many others of course.

Loved the organisation and exceptional friendliness of the firies again this year. Loved the scones, the chat & company at the start line. Loved it when the sun came through and there was a hint of warmth in the day.

As for the run, I admit to feeling a bit of doubt about my ability after a solid few weeks of work taking place of training, so I started out easy - on the tail of Professor and Kevin. The 'undulating' at the start is really just nasty short sharp hills and technical descents. They keep you honest, and not noticing the distance passing. Kev & Professor dropped me not long after the single track section. As I got to about 15km I was feeling some pain in my hip on the descents, so was taking it slow on the downhills and picking it back up on the flats and hills. Knowing the course more this year made the whole thing seem a bit faster, and I tended to enjoy the scenery less and concentrate on legspeed more this time round.

After the fabulous stretch through the houses and trails, the long down hill started. A few CR chicks passed me here which wasn't my favourite part of the race - but I knew there was the big hill to come and I was looking forward to nailing it again this year (mad I know, but I actually like this hill). I checked my watch and realised there was a good chance I would go sub-3:30.

Only got one or two of the girls on the hill, but was happy to hear Action call out 2ks to go and start speeding up for the finish line.
Very happy with a finish of 3:23 - 21 minutes off 2004. And definitely a good omen for Sydney.

Great runs by so many people - Blue Dog and Sarge with sub-3's, O Runner, Belinda and Bernies' debut, Emma Murrays' 3rd overall... too many to mention (Unc's 15km!) and Lisa, who finished in 3:48 and loved every minute of it.

Of course, special mention to the Sarge and Blue Dog Hospitality Blanket at the finish line - fantastic work guys.   :D  

And as always - great to meet more CR's at every race.

:D   I did wonder what it would be like to turn around and run back to the start (there is definitely a FatAss W2B2W to be had).

#41 Miss Gazelle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:12 PM

quote:

Originally posted by KevinTiller:
I drove up the F3 from Wahroonga about 3:30pm yesterday and saw a female in the passenger seat of a blue 4wd-thing pajero? was that you myrtle ? whoever it was was wearing their CR cap.

Yep that was me! Wow, the CR hat certainly stands out from a crowd. Maybe we should all have CR scarves to hang out the windows on the way home from a good race...bit like footy fans.  :D

#42 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

I was going to wave, but then you'd think I was a freak or that you had a puncture! Anyway I was a driving a pack of kids and that's hard enough.

#43 Blue Dog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:54 AM

More kudos for Margaret and the W2B organisational team.... results are up already .

This is an outstanding effort.  :)    :D    :)  

This sets a new standard upon which other race directors may be judged....take note. Not just finishing times, but halfway splits as well. Too good.

Fantastic stuff, and the new-look website has all the info you would ever want to know.

I'll stick my neck out now and predict that this race will attract increasingly bigger fields over the next couple of years, particularly with the 6ft 'partnership'.

Well done, well done, well done.  B)

#44 Blue Dog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:54 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Myrtle the Turtle:
[QB] Saw Emma Murray at the start. Wow, she looks so fit. Really wanted to go up and congratulate her for her recent World Championship title but I’m not that kind of “chatty” person, one of my character flaws! Now I feel terrible for not saying something. /QB]

Yeah, I congratulated Emma on her World Championship win with a handshake and a peck on the cheek just after the awards presentation. Heck, I thought she was some sort of running super-goddess  before that with her 6ft Track win!

She just looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo (then again, perhaps she knows me).

No offence taken Emma, but you will have to get used to the fact that average punters like the rest of us love to see fellow Aussies like yourself take on the world's best and beat them.

It simply makes us all so proud of you.

Cheers, Blue Dog.    B)

#45 expozay

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:24 PM

First time I'd run this race and it was an interesting experience.  

Great organisation and just as important, great scones at the start.  

Happy to finish in 3:21 but I'm definitely suffering from the downhill segment which seems to have had an adverse effect on my left hip and is now too sore to run on.  

Nice to see lots of other coolrunners and striders out there.

#46 John Keeble

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:54 PM

As the "photographer" and webmaster for the Bilpin Bush Run (I'm the bloke in the yellow uniform with the big video camera on a tripod) I would like to thank everyone for the positive comments on this website. I have copied a lot of them and will make sure that the right people see them. Some of the remarks on accomodation are interesting and I have ideas that I might try and implement for next year. I had 2 other video cameras on the course this year plus the one at the finish and also 3 more people with high definition SLR digital cameras. I am now sifting through approximately 1000 photos that I will put on a CD and include with the video and or DVD when it is posted out. The DVD this year will be on 2 discs again and will be better than ever because of the extra cameras around the course.  One point I would like to make is that the results could have been on the website a lot earlier if a small number of people had not had their race numbers covered. We had to scour the videos and pictures to identify a few people before we could finish the final results. I intend to email some of the photos to people I have email addresses of in the entrance forms as a complimentary thing but the people that we can't identify because numbers are not showing obviously wont get any photos. I hate to see you all as numbers but it really is the only way I can identify you. Margaret Tadrosse however can recognise faces and she helps with that.
  Thanks again for coming to Bilpin.
              John Keeble.

#47 Dave

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:36 PM

I'd like to add my positive thoughts on how the race was managed. An excellent course with a little bit of everything thrown in to keep you honest. I've blogged excessively about my run and won't bore the masses with another regurgitation here. Suffice to say very happy with a 15:42 PB and only a tad disappointed that I missed the 3:00 barrier, dying in the last couple of km.

John, great to also see you and your team out there. One thing for certain you picked some good positions and it was always heartening to see the camera because it usually meant I had got to the top of yet another one of those nasty steep climbs  :)

Special thanks to Blue Dog and Sarge for the sherbets afterwards!

#48 Miss Gazelle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:23 PM

quote:

Originally posted by John Keeble:
I am now sifting through approximately 1000 photos that I will put on a CD and include with the video and or DVD when it is posted out. The DVD this year will be on 2 discs again and will be better than ever because of the extra cameras around the course.

John, how do we get a copy of this/these DVD/s if we didn't pre-order one.

Also, one little grump....was I hallucinating after the race or were the T-shirts selling for $10 after mugs like me prepaid $25 for one?   :unsure:  

Cheers,
MtT

#49 downunder runner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:40 PM

how long is this event?  I have not heard of it, but love bush and trails runs !!

well done to all cool runners!!

#50 errorfilenotfound

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:05 PM