Bathurst Half Marathon & 10k Sunday 26 April 2009Bathurst Half Marathon & 10k 26 April 2009

• You cannot reply to this topic
104 replies to this topic

#1 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

Bathurst Half Marathon and 10k Sunday 26 April 2009.

Quick , flat course.
Online entry now available $30.
Famous free sausage sizzle for all runners. Lots of lucky draw prizes. New main sponsor, Charles Sturt University, so we must know what we’re doing.

Get to Bathurst for a great low key event. Enjoy a weekend away. Civilised 9.00 start.
Course map on web site.
http://www.bathurstrunning.com.au/

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Brimmy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

looking forward to the run Frosty it is always a good day out and the atmosphere is very friendly. Could be a perfect spot and temperature for people to look at PB's. I see CSU are sponsoring the run now and the Mayor is in training should be good watching him run round in all those robes and chains.

See you there for sure.

#3 Orangerunners

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

Hi Frosty, just wishing you the best for what is always a very low key and well organised event. Many thanks for coming up to Orange with a lot of entries and congratulations to the Bathirst Runners contingent with so many top finishers. For those from outside the Central West, give the Bathurst run a go, it is certainly a PB event with few undulations and normally run in cool conditions, sometimes cooler than cool. Assured that Orange will once again support your runs, unfortunately I will be in Victoria recovering from the Canberra Marathon if I make it, trying to get my mind set on getting to the start line for an endurance test of over 4.5 hours for me.

#4 crazycatwoman

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

I would like to do this HM but I'm a bit worried about the cut off time. It will be close! This will be my first HM but I have run further, all be it very slowly  :good:

CCW

#5 Gadfly

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

CCW, You will still be ahead of me!   I figure that my watch will still keep going after the 2hr 20min and I don't think they will pull you off the road... The presentations start at 12 I think, so hopefully will be back by then!    

I am a little concerned that there might not be a lot of water left for the back of the pack, so am re considering my water options....and maybe taking more than I planned.....and also maybe leaving a bottle with Mr Gadfly and Gadfairy at the start so I can pick it up on my way through at the end of the 10km loop (are you allowed to have stuff handed to you?  Might need to check on this one).

Looking forward to it (and dreading it al at the same time!).
:good:

#6 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

Gadfly
Not that far off really. I know you have been focused on this for a while. i hope the training has been going well.  :good:

#7 snickpreview

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

In it for sure! Just got my CR visor too!

#8 Fred

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

Is the cut off time really 2:20?

#9 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

View PostFred, on Mar 25 2009, 11:14 PM, said:

Is the cut off time really 2:20?

The 'waiver' on the online entry states that all course support will cease at 2 hr 20min.   I emailed late last year when I was thinking about going, and got a reply that "Cut off is normally about 2.5 hours. We need to pull the marshalls off the course around that time and start presentations by 12"

So I suspect it's somewhat flexible.....lets hope so!
Are you going to be there Fred?

:vava:

#10 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

We start to pack up start/finisharea about 11.30 for presentation at 12.00.

Can't leave runners out on course all day. Drink station at turnaround (approx 15k) is the last maned point.

Keg was last home last year under 150 mins (sorry keg you said you were not at your best on the day). We did pick up one person on the backend of course who was very grateful. They were struggling.

So while we say a cut off, flexibility and duty of care are both factored in.

No worries in picking up water at 10k Gadfly. It will quite possibly be cool (and very windy last year) so shouldn’t need a lot of water.

This event is run by runners for runners so we try to be as helpful as possibly in that nice country way.

Hope to see you all in a month.

#11 THE KEG

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

View PostFrosty, on Mar 26 2009, 11:42 AM, said:

We start to pack up start/finisharea about 11.30 for presentation at 12.00.

Can't leave runners out on course all day. Drink station at turnaround (approx 15k) is the last manned point.

Keg was last home last year under 150 mins (sorry keg you said you were not at your best on the day). We did pick up one person on the backend of course who was very grateful. They were struggling.

Yes I finished in 2hrs28xx last year and was well looked after.Was hoping the bloke that pulled out finished to avoid last place.. .Will be there for the 10k this year but hopefully will be fitter next year. Will see you all there.

#12 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

My son Nath and I are looking at this one, the Half that is, as he is gotten keen lately with his running. I think Six Foot Track inspires him.

Will probably enter on the day, but will email organisers if we are coming. Two hours fifteen minutes from Dubbo usually, so will leave hear at 6.00am. Hmm early start for a teenager.

rtw

#13 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

Thanks so much for your reply Frosty...all concerns and questions answered in one!   Much appreciated.    

Look forward to seeing you there - I'll be one of the last ones in I suspect!

#14 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

View PostGadfly, on Mar 26 2009, 01:23 PM, said:

Thanks so much for your reply Frosty...all concerns and questions answered in one!   Much appreciated.    

:)

Local runner Justin Motion is my tip for last home this year. He really is pathetic.

#15 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:01 AM

We have the Bathurst mayor in training for the 10k this year. Got to keep the council on side these days.
Paul is a primary school teacher. A PHD student at Charles Sturt University is doing lab tests and training program with Paul.

Article from Tuesdays Western Advocate.

http://www.coolrunni.../f0/BA2404C.pdf

#16 moondust

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

View PostGadfly, on Mar 26 2009, 01:23 PM, said:

I've decided to throw my hat in for this one as my first HM. Looks like I'll be joining you there at the back after all Gadfly.  

md :o

#17 Mudguts

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

Great choice for your first half marathon. Flat course and almost always cool conditions, pleasant scenery, plenty of points where you pass other runners so the atmosphere is great. Would urge anyone considering their first half marathon to make it Bathurst 2009!

#18 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

View Postmoondust, on Mar 31 2009, 02:03 PM, said:

I've decided to throw my hat in for this one as my first HM. Looks like I'll be joining you there at the back after all Gadfly.  

md :)

Oooh, Oooh, great news!  :vava:  No going back now (have to remind myself of this too) :o

#19 moondust

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

Do people usually go up on Saturday and stay overnight? Any recommendations on where to stay? Ta.

md

#20 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:31 AM

It's official...I have just entered online  :vava:    All systems go  :o

#21 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

View Postmoondust, on Apr 1 2009, 10:45 AM, said:

Do people usually go up on Saturday and stay overnight? Any recommendations on where to stay? Ta.

md
Great range of accommodation available. Depends on home much you want to spend.
Full details on great council site:
http://www.visitbath...hp/rest-a-relax

Knickerbocker Hotel spiritual home of Ba-Thirst Runners has value accommodation and excellent food.

Motel Kelso Hotel/Motel. Good pub food.

Apartments such as Charlotte Apartments in heart of town.

BB such as Bishops Court is very classy, top end stuff.
Lachinvar on Mt Pan is excellent.

Don’t forget big Soldiers Saddle horse racing the day before at Tyres Park.

#22 moondust

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'm in. I got over my superstition and entered online. Did I say that out loud?  :vava:

Have booked a B&B for the Saturday night.

md

#23 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

Article in today’s Western Advocate on alliance between CSU and race organisers. Big plans for the future of the event. We are looking at a revamp with start/finish on campus and new courses. A lap of My Panorama is being considered. Won’t be flat! Challenging but a potential huge draw card.
What do you think?

http://www.westernad...al/1482900.aspx

Keep the entries coming.
http://www.bathurstrunning.com.au/

#24 snickpreview

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

View PostFrosty, on Apr 9 2009, 09:09 AM, said:

Article in today’s Western Advocate on alliance between CSU and race organisers. Big plans for the future of the event. We are looking at a revamp with start/finish on campus and new courses. A lap of My Panorama is being considered. Won’t be flat! Challenging but a potential huge draw card.

What a fantastic and exciting idea. It would even be a funny thing just to see if it attracted the rev heads to try and do the mountain (just don't tell them you can't use a car). Whilst bathurst HM is well known to have a fairly quick track it could be a gamble to incorporate such a big hill but I do think it would generate a bigger crowd just for the tourists sake. I did see that the article mentioned it as incorporating " sections of the circuit" which got me thinking if people think its too hard maybe just a turnaround on conrod straight or something.

Just last night I was contemplating doing a 20k with Mt Panorama incorporated in it to see how I would fair. Looks like I've now got my run set for me on saturday...

Edited by snickpreview, 09 April 2009 - 10:49 AM.

#25 osmo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

snickpreview a good loop I used to do start at the gaol, run down the freeway to hen and chicken lane follow it to the end turn left run toward bathurst go left up past the army barracks run around the mount, down boundary rd turn right and return to the gaol great little 30 something k long run! :vava:
Unfortunately due to work commitments I wont be there however I can vouch for the organisers that it will be a well run great event..
I heard a rumour Justin Motion was having his achilles replaced with a south sydney jersey tied at both ends? Will this make him a favorite?

#26 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

View PostFrosty, on Apr 9 2009, 09:09 AM, said:

What do you think?

Hmmmmm, I'm very glad that this year there's no Mt Panorama to run up, as I'm fairly allergic to hills!   But, I can see the attraction of running it.     Looking forward  :vava:  to coming down in 2 weeks for my first half......see you there  :o

#27 crazycatwoman

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

Ok, now I'm committed, or should be.  Entered to HM and accommodation sorted. Eek.

CCW

#28 snickpreview

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

Thanks very much for the advice osmo. I've been told about hen and chicken lane and will definitely add that run in to my marathon training after the SMH HM. I tried running Mt Panorama this weekend by also adding in "the bold" (out around CSU and boundary road then looping back around the golf course and back in to town (rough version but it would accumulate to around 25k once i start from my place in kelso)) but as I was cruising down to the track I noticed that it was taken up by all the vintage/sports cars racing the entire weekend! Of all the damn times to finally make the decision to try out running the track and it got occupied!

#29 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

Have decided to go and run. Nath also going, my middle son whose enthusiasm for running has picked up lately. He has discovered the joy of running slow and long.

Now, I have to decide whether to run flat out and try for an age placing, or run with him in his first half. He is looking at about 2hours and I am looking at about 90min. If I run fast I will start a taper today, if not I will do my long run this afternoon.

Decisions, decisions.  My own ego or my sons welfare. Tricky. :hi:

rtw

#30 Nath

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

View Postrun2work, on Apr 18 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

Have decided to go and run. Nath also going, my middle son whose enthusiasm for running has picked up lately. He has discovered the joy of running slow and long.

Now, I have to decide whether to run flat out and try for an age placing, or run with him in his first half. He is looking at about 2hours and I am looking at about 90min. If I run fast I will start a taper today, if not I will do my long run this afternoon.

Decisions, decisions.  My own ego or my sons welfare. Tricky. :hi:

rtw

Yes dad, what will you do?

Will you run with your loving son Nathan and support him in his 1st 1/2 marathon (the 4th he has trained for but the first he hasn't got injured before).

Or, will you be a selfish father that makes their sons cry, and run it all on your own fast (for an old man).

Nath

#31 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:33 PM

ooh...tough decison Run2work  :hi:  

Nath, look at it this way - if your Dad goes for a fast race - then he'll be there to cheer you over the end!

See you both there!    ;)

#32 moondust

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

I'm betting Run2work's long run got done this afternoon. There's always another race to go fast in, but only one first HM for Nath. Which is the same one as mine.  :hi:  ;)

Last long run done this morning with Gadfly, which went really well. So now I'm in my first taper - is there no end to the new experiences?

Hope to meet you both there.

md

#33 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

A week out from the big day and preparations on song.
At 9.00 this morning it was 11 degrees, perfect conditions, a beautiful day in paradise. 1500 bike riders doing B2B tomorrow. 70 k or 110. Think I’ll sleep in.

For an event that has traditionally been “enter on the day” we already have over 60 online entries, mainly out of town.

The mayor is in, good article into days local paper, unfortunately not online. Went to the rugby today and even coach of CSU is running his first half.

The organisers are running the course Saturday morning in lieu of Sunday. All welcome of course from 6.00.
Bring it on.

#34 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

View Postmoondust, on Apr 18 2009, 05:22 PM, said:

I'm betting Run2work's long run got done this afternoon. There's always another race to go fast in, but only one first HM for Nath. Which is the same one as mine.  :hi:  ;)

Last long run done this morning with Gadfly, which went really well. So now I'm in my first taper - is there no end to the new experiences?

Hope to meet you both there.

md

You won the bet md. Yes I went for my long run. No taper this week.

Next week I will enjoy running with Nath on his first Half.

We will be both wearing coolrunning singlets. See you there and all the best to you and gadfly in the race. Hope you finish meeting your expectations or learning from the experience or both.

rtw

#35 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:16 PM

View Postrun2work, on Apr 18 2009, 09:08 PM, said:

You won the bet md. Yes I went for my long run. No taper this week.

Next week I will enjoy running with Nath on his first Half.

We will be both wearing coolrunning singlets. See you there and all the best to you and gadfly in the race. Hope you finish meeting your expectations or learning from the experience or both.

rtw

Yay rtw, I'm sure Nath will appreciate your support.    

Team 'MoonFly' is all set.   I'll be in my CR cap and md may have some CR tats I believe.   See you there.  :hi:

#36 Nath

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

Yes, Hooray, dad (run2work) is running with me on my first half.

I did enjoy riding my mountain bike with him as he ran long today, knowing what it meant!!!

See you all there.

Nath

Edited by Nath, 18 April 2009 - 09:35 PM.

#37 runslikeagirl

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:37 AM

Really, Really, really hoping to be there for the Bathurst 10k, injured my knee 2 weeks ago, so willing myself to get better. Unable to run or walk at present, but keeping up my fitness on stationary bike, bike riding and swimming. Not looking too good at this stage but you never know. Seeing physio on Tuesday hoping he will say go for it!! :hi:  MMMMM........ Trying hard to convince the family to join me. May end up DNF. Maybe will need to carry large backpack for the crutch :o. Is it really only next weekend? Bummer  ;)
Hoping to be there running like a girl.

#38 crazycatwoman

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

Looking forward to my first half and looking forward to catching up with some coolrunners, although I suspect (know) I won't be catching up to Nath or R2W :hi: . Hopefully will be able to keep up with Moondust and Gadfly after all their training.  Have a nice taper week and see you all at Bathurst!

CCW

#39 crazycatwoman

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

Oops, hope you recover runslikeagirl  :hi:

CCW

#40 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

View Postcrazycatwoman, on Apr 19 2009, 12:04 PM, said:

Looking forward to my first half and looking forward to catching up with some coolrunners, although I suspect (know) I won't be catching up to Nath or R2W ;) . Hopefully will be able to keep up with Moondust and Gadfly after all their training.  Have a nice taper week and see you all at Bathurst!

CCW

I think we'll be trying to keep up with you CCW - you have the experience of running the distance before!    A quiet week ahead and see you on Sunday!  Stay safe  :hi:

#41 runslikeagirl

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:59 PM

Well we are in  ;)  but only for the 10k, walked the distance today only as no running allowed as yet. Hubby and second son joining me. Hope to be able to run some of the distance by then, although hubby walks faster than I can run. Expecting to come last but at least hope to finish for the experience. Still loving this site, still learning heaps, thanks for the good wishes for the knee.
I'll be the one with knee braces last in the 10k pack. :hi:

#42 Wedged

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

I'm in. Should I enter online or just do it on the day?

#43 runslikeagirl

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

View PostWedged, on Apr 19 2009, 11:20 PM, said:

I'm in. Should I enter online or just do it on the day?

I just entered everyone online quick and easy, did the same for Orange and had no problems.

#44 Cactus

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

Looking like good weather for the event next sunday - cool and fast!  Lots of local promotion so there should be an excellent field mixing locals and runners keen to come and see Bathurst on foot!

Enter online and skip the rego queue on the day....don't forget to hang around from 12:00 for the draw prizes (about 1:10 runners) and the famous sausage suzzle!

#45 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

Confirmation that women’s half title holder Verity Tolhurst, yesterday’s winner of 50k in Canberra, is running Bathurst on Sunday.

Watch out for bib No 1. What a champion to support country running.

She has been warned not to be late (ask her about Orange).

#46 moondust

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

I don't know how many CRs will be in Bathurst on the Saturday evening, but would anyone be up for a cheap and cheerful dinner somewhere? Not that I have any idea where yet.

Otherwise I'm likely to be taking apart my hotel room looking for spiders.  ;) (It's a stress thing. I don't eat spiders.  :hi: )

md

#47 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

Article from paper about 72 year old local competing in the 10k.
http://www.westernad...on/1494313.aspx

Amazing 95 entries already received for Sunday. In the past we were lucky to get 30 prior to the day.

Online entry closes 4.00 Friday.

Entry available on the day.

Defending Half Champs Verity and Rod Draper both running.

Beautiful day here today. Forecast probably wrong.
http://www.weatherzo.......loc&lc=4939

Edited by Frosty, 23 April 2009 - 10:28 AM.

#48 rachinaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

Gettng in early with my good luck wishes for Sunday's runners - with particualr mention to those Bay run regulars Moondust and Gadfly....hope it all goes well - Moondust, having opted for the 'no spiders' diet I'm sure it will

Cheers

#49 LittleFeet

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

Hi Everyone,

It's been great to read what everyone has to say on this event. I'm very new to running (or should I say in my case 'jogging') and have really only been gradually building up from a walk for 4 months now. About 2 months ago, when I hit my first 5km without stopping to walk at any point I decided that my goal would be to run this 10km in Bathurst - can't believe that it is this weekend!

I did my longest yet last weekend, 9km, but that took me just over an hour... hoping to get under 1 hour for the 10km but that might be a bit of an ask at this point!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me for the run and maybe an ideas on a good pre-race breakfast?? I usually get up and run at 6am on an empty tummy but figure I should probably eat something for this one...

Cheers - LittleFeet (my excuse for being so slow!!)

#50 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

All the best Littlefeet  for the 10km.  Not really any advice, but have fun!

Frosty, is there much shelter around the start/finish area?   Thinking of my husband and daughter waiting for us to come through (popped out and got some gumboots for Gadfairy today (grown out of her old ones) - so she is really wanting it to rain now so she can go splashing!).

Unfortunately not in for a CR dinner on Sat night as we are staying with friends, but definitely keen to see familiar and new CR's Sunday morning.

Safe travelling all,
:hi:

Edited by Gadfly, 23 April 2009 - 03:24 PM.