9 replies to this topic

#1 chonky

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 25 July 2003 - 05:40 PM

can someone tell me about the group that meets in the domain on tuesdays at 12.50pm
what would a typical session involve?
exactly where do they meet?
and what group would i be in,i am about 37.30 10km runner?
regards chonky

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Gem

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:04 PM

Hi Chonky

"Pain in the Domain" is a group of regulars who meet at 12.50pm at the top of the Domain.

There are 4 groups of runners who run a 6 (and a bit)km fartlek.  On a sunny day (pre-C2S) we get up to 100 runners. We try to restrict the groups to about 25-30 runners each.

There are 14 "sprints" in all with the longest being about 730 metres.

The groups run according to ability - the first group is the fastest and so on.  The third group completes the session in about 28-29 minutes.

I recommend that you go in either the first or second group.

It is free and we meet just behind the State Library in the far North-West corner of the Domain at the top of the path.  Get there a little earlier for a stretch and be ready to run by 12.45pm

Happy running.   :D

#3 Action

Run away, run away, run away....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:38 PM

Gem has summed it up nicely.  A little more info - the sprints are a mix of tarmac, grass, hills, and even a few stairs.  Their lengths vary a little depending on who is leading each group, but give or take a few metres are:
- 150 (path flatish)
- 200 (grass down then up)
-  90 (grass up)
- 130 (grass down)
- 150 (flat path)
- 100 (grass flat)
- 170 (grass very up)
- 130 (flat path)
- 700 (flat path waterfront)
-  75 (stairs!)
- 140 (glass flat)
- 235 (mainly up grass)
- 200 (path uphill)
- 200 (path flat/up)
for a total of 6k.
You should go with Group 2 to start with... enjoy.

#4 Joecole26

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 07:47 PM

I've been going to pain in the domain for about 6 months and its unreal. I've improved dramatically and can really feel and see the benefits. Its probably best to start in Group 2. And then move up to Group 1 after you get a bit more comfortable. The only real difference between the groups is the rest time you get after each interval. With group 1 they've really started flying around the course in under 26mins, whereas group 2 will do it more in the 27-28min range.

I highly recommend it to everyone I talk to about running   :D    :D    :D    :D

#5 BOOF

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 08:10 PM

my mouth is watering  :P  
Pity were stuck in North Ryde  <_<  
solid a nasty session -
;)  enjoy chris

#6 HazBean

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 08:43 PM

Actually that 730 is a bit longer than that. While out on a walk with a measuring wheel (not my normal pastime I might add) I measured the gate to gate section. It's actually around the 900 metre mark - I can't remember the exact number now but it's 900+. Will post the accurate measurement if I can find where I put it! If you carry on up to the steps it's 1036m.

#7 JodieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 11:57 PM

I've often wondered how you guys who run every lunchtime, or seems like it, get away from work for long enough to eat lunch, run, and shower afterwards. Do you start early or stay later to allow for a long lunch break?
Just curious. I have never had longer than half hour lunch break (until a few years ago when i bought my own business - now i have NO lunchbreak....LOL)

#8 Gem

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 12:22 PM

Hi Jodie

I work pretty long hours (usually about a 12 or 13 hour day).

If I don't get out at lunch or don't get my run in before work I go a little bonkers.

Work is pretty flexible - as long as I am doing the work and meeting the expectations they really support my running.  I guess I am lucky.

I tend to make my lunch in the morning and eat it at my desk.  I figure if I am working past 8pm or 9pm I am entitled to some fresh air at lunch.

Pain in the Domain is also an excellent way to get rid of any unspent tension (of which I have plenty)!!

See you at the Bay Run    :)

#9 Action

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 12:48 PM

Hazbean, the long one is not gate to gate.  It starts at a "change in the bitumen" - one of those locations your learn about when you run Pain.  I have measured it a couple of times, the first time when measuring the Olympic Triathlons back in 2000, then with a wheel when the path was resurfaced and the "old" start point (which ws 730m) was lost, and the most recent with a GPS.  The exact measure is 702m, but as mentioned, various leaders start it at slighly different points now, so it is give or take.   ;)

#10 Action

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 12:52 PM

... and JodieR - not EVERY lunchtime, Pain is once a week, but like Gem says, "9 to 5" doesn't seem to exist much any more, so a flexible start/finish combines with flexible lunches, and so long as the job is done well I am lucky enough that it is not a problem - then again, I am the boss here   ;)