8 replies to this topic

#1 FreeDickland

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:48 AM

Local Sports med doctor has suggested I have Synvisc injections for arthritic pains in left knee - was referred to him following an "interesting" fall over Christmas period - steep downhill in Sturt Gorge (Adelaide) ACL and quadriceps damaged.  As this happened a couple of days before returning to Canada was not practicable to start any treatment for a couple of weeks.  

Had physio treatment with stretching, strengthening and various electroninc & acupuncture treatments - running again, a bit slower and not particularly far yet - and losing some of the accumulated weight.

BUT - the break helped me forget the continual knee soreness I had become adjusted to over past few years - as soon as I got back to a reasonable level of running it returned with a vengeance so I sought advice - suggestions included, anti-inflamatories, physio, cortisone injections, wearing a spiderman style brace and Synvisc injections.  

On basis of information provided by clinic and google searches the Synvisc option seems best option and numerous other local runners here attest to its effectiveness.

Was wondering if any Aussi CRs had any experience or views on this treatment.

(not sure if this is on PBS schedule in Australia; there is no general scheme for pharmaceuticals in Canada but it is covered by my health cover, health cover here being dependant on what your employer has bought into!)

#2 Bryan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:44 PM

I know someone who was prescribed this. Its not cheap but did give some releif. However now she is looking at a surgery option.

I have also had Synvisc suggested also by a local sports doctor but at the moment things are going OK so I haven't persued it.

An MRI scan a year or so ago when I was experiencing some relatively constant knee pain just towards the inside of the knee cap has shown that my days of pain free running may be somewhat limited. However, a bit of an alteration of running style (including much lighter footwear) and making sure the body weight stays as low as possible (currently 57kg, was more than 85 when I started!) have been a bit of a saving grace in my case I think. At least thats how it appears for the time being .......

#3 FreeDickland

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:38 PM

Quite belated update - had the Synvisc course - has worked wonders, able to sleep without being woken by knee pain for first time in years - this within 3 dqys of first injection.  Did get carried away and trie to run 5 k the first day, it got slightly swollen & a trifle painful.  Since last of the 3 weekly injections in late May spent a couple of weeks in Austria  walking up Alps most days, no pain when walking just some stiffness next morning which is gone soon after getting moving.  

Now back in Canada (back to Oz in a couple of years) and running around 60k per week and increasing - did run over rather stiff trail (12k or so) last weekend and survived quite well.  Targetting a 25k race over same course early October  (Run for the Toad - check the web site - not a cane toad, just local variety which are quite small).

Happy to share more on Synvisc with any CRs with creaky hinges.

#4 thefatdork

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

View PostFreeDickland, on Aug 4 2009, 12:38 PM, said:

Quite belated update - had the Synvisc course - has worked wonders, able to sleep without being woken by knee pain for first time in years - this within 3 dqys of first injection.  Did get carried away and trie to run 5 k the first day, it got slightly swollen & a trifle painful.  Since last of the 3 weekly injections in late May spent a couple of weeks in Austria  walking up Alps most days, no pain when walking just some stiffness next morning which is gone soon after getting moving.  

Now back in Canada (back to Oz in a couple of years) and running around 60k per week and increasing - did run over rather stiff trail (12k or so) last weekend and survived quite well.  Targetting a 25k race over same course early October  (Run for the Toad - check the web site - not a cane toad, just local variety which are quite small).

Happy to share more on Synvisc with any CRs with creaky hinges.

HI FD,
I have had knee probs too and not getting better. Sports doc suggested synvisc treatment.
Was wondering how things going with you? Are you still running OK? Are benefits still there? Would you recommend it?
I am keen to get running properly again.
Thanks

#5 FreeDickland

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

View Postthefatdork, on Jun 2 2010, 08:44 AM, said:

HI FD,
I have had knee probs too and not getting better. Sports doc suggested synvisc treatment.
Was wondering how things going with you? Are you still running OK? Are benefits still there? Would you recommend it?
I am keen to get running properly again.
Thanks

Had 2 more Synvisc courses - November 2009 & last week.  Very pleased with outcomes -

Did tend to leave it too long before "relubing" in November - let it get to stage where was unable to sleep for knee pain; came good 2-3 weeks after final of the 3 injections & was back on track; did manage the Toad run; not great time but coming on for 70 & having 400-800 background this is probably to be expected - kept on keeping on until return to Oz for Christmas, severe overconsumption & concentrated reunions etc combined with asthma playing up & did not get much running done; back to Canada via London & Barcelona arriving overweight & feeling blobby; ran 1/2 marathon on cold (2-4degrees C) wet & hilly course in just over 2 hours - 4th of over 60's & only 2-3 minutes slower than 4 years ago;

A month after marathon knee silted up again & returned to doctor; he seemed to think I was doing well at around 6 months intervals between treatments - they do last up to 1 2months with most people but only small % of patients run - so I was quite pleased - tis time I opted for the single injection option (less fuss than 3 visits a week apart) but this may not have been wise - knee was OK after injection apart from feeling rather tight & swollen (it also looked swollen)  was instructed to avoid putting too much stress on it for 3 days or so (compared to the 1 day off after each of the series of 3 option) - all OK until next day when I spilt some coffee on the kitchen floor & knelt down to swab it up - felt as if I had stabbed myself in the knee -  suspect he larger volume of injected fluid in the space behind my kneecap was squashed up a bit & caused this sensation - possibly skinny runners knees have less scope for comfortably containing the larger volume -  had an extra day off before running which was a bit uncomfortable until warmed up; have since run up to 8k each day (a week so far) cycled 20k on one day & spent a couple of days paddling a canoe down the river (entailing kneeling for extensive periods) knee now feels OK & should be back to normal activities next week - -

the standard is that it takes 6-8 weeks for the Synvisc to take full effect & the effect normally lasts longer with successive treatments - - have spoken to several runners in late 50s & early 60s who have use dit and all have similar tales - collective opinion leaning toward the series of 3 shots over the single larger volume shot.  Have also spoken to lady who has had both knees replaced & is adamant that the second procedure had been deferred for at least 4-5 years by her having had Synvisc treatment - far cheaper option for health system & far better for her quality of life - she is definatly NOT and never was a runner.

Hope this helps - Good Luck.

#6 sunny1

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

Take care of those knees FreeDickland, we need you to do the Summit to Sea again one day!  :Praying:

#7 thefatdork

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

View PostFreeDickland, on Jun 2 2010, 11:59 AM, said:

Had 2 more Synvisc courses - November 2009 & last week.  Very pleased with outcomes -
Hope this helps - Good Luck.

Thanks for getting back to me FD.
Have ordered the Synvisc - Sports doc wants to go the one shot treatment, so will go with this and see what happens. The alternative was to have a knee scope, but I figure that if synvisc works OK then won't need to go through scope for a while. Who knows, they might be able to grow my knee cartilage back in a few years time.
I have been cross-training a lot but not running for a while now - and REALLY miss it.
Cheers

#8 FreeDickland

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

View Postsunny1, on Jun 2 2010, 12:55 PM, said:

Take care of those knees FreeDickland, we need you to do the Summit to Sea again one day!  :Praying:

G'day Sunny
Once more trotting along, 12k yesterday (Monday), 30k on bike to-day, more running termorrer then canoeing & run again Friday - seems better if I do not run 2 days in a row - - will be in Adelaide around Christmas time & hope to S&S - upwards hopefully - - great to be able to keep up with the running world in Adelaide on CR, lots of good stuff happening,
See you all in a few months,
Dick

#9 karinefit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

i am only an amateur runner... i have been running on and off for 20 years, i was planning on doing the city to surf this year (2012) but this is all going pear shape with my knee injury. previous ACL surgery (15 years ago), however now graft distorted due to a recent injury (on same knee again). i was recommended to do a serie of 3 synvisc injection into the joint. i am after a sport physician doctor in the sydney area who has experience doing them. after doing some research on the product, apparently it is a tricky injection which needs some experience to be done accurately to be the most effective. can anyone help?