• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

#1 queen_bee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:56 PM

Anyone have an idea how long we can expect the drive up to W to B to take from the CBD?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:29 AM

Queen Bee,

The information that we received from the organisers suggests that it would take approximately 2 hours.

#3 Barney

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:35 AM

Queen Bee, I'm guessing, but if you go from the CBD then join the M2 and get off at Windsor Road, around 2 1/4 hours should be more than comfortable from the CBD to Mt Wilson. I know from experience that it takes 90min max from Pymble to Bilpin and then another 30min to Mt Wilson.

#4 Action

Run away, run away, run away....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:16 AM

QB
From Lilyfield up the M2 for the last couple of years it has been 1:20 to Bilpin (the finish), and another 25 to 30 minutes to Mt Wilson - I knew I had put the timing in my diary for a reason!

:)

#5 Dave

There is life, death and 6ft track....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:59 AM

I notice that they moved the time for the buses from Bilpin to Mt Wilson from 8:30 back to 7:45. Sounds like a long time to spend at the other end waiting for 10am to tick over!

So to be safe I'll probably aim for 7:30 arrival which would see about a 6:15 departure from Ryde.

#6 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 05:21 AM

Here seems a good time & place to see if there is anyone out there who could give me a lift to the start. I live in the extreme north of Sydney. I could probably travel a short distance for a pickup.

Please email me if able to help ...

#7 queen_bee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:34 PM

We have two spare seats leaving from the inner west at a sickeningly early time....

#8 MISWEN

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 16 July 2004 - 04:02 PM

Just a question for those that have previously run this one. Is this a run that you can do a combination of walk & running or is it a serious running race? I have run the 15km Nosh last Sunday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is the closest thing I have found to it but am I way over my head? I have only done 1 half marathon and i'm in training my 2nd one (Blackmore's half). Would I need to have done a lot of increased mileage to cover the 35km successfully?
At my current pace a guess being I would finish this at the earliest 4 hours, longest time 5 hours.

Cheers  :)

#9 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:43 PM

With the longer bush runs, you will find that a lot of people walk the big hills, so to a certain degree you can do a run/walk strategy.

Although it is 35km, the times are reasonably similar to what people expect to do a marathon in (maybe 10-15mins quicker than you would run a marathon in).

If the idea of running a marathon is way outside what you think you can do, then it is probably quite ambitious - most of the runners are serious runners ie I would expect that 80%+ of the field have previously run at least one marathon before.

It is a great run with a great and supportive atmosphere.

#10 Action

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 06:12 PM

Like the NOSH in terrain, but triple the effort... The last 5k or so are seriously up.  Lovely run, lot's of bush, great scenery, but definitely close to marathon effort....   :D  Last year the back of the pack was just under 5 hours, and just over 200 finished.  The winner (our Uncle Dave) was in 2:19, so about 15-20 mins quicker than marathon time would be about right.   :)

#11 plu

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 06:17 PM

Hi,

If considering running should we have experience with running with a backpack and some provisions?
Plu

#12 Action

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 06:44 PM

plu,
nope, no backpack needed.  The RFS provde good drink stops and munchies along the way.  You are very well looked after.  Given the ups and downs, the less weight you carry the better!
Action   :)

#13 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 07:24 PM

yes I would 2nd what Action said - no need to carry anything. A number of people take a small drink bottle in a bum bag but most of the fast people don't take anything - it is well catered for.

#14 Mister G

Kosciuszko Deprivation Syndrome since 2005

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:29 PM

My two fastest times at Bilpin (a few seconds difference)- one was set when I didn't carry anything and relied on the aid stations, the other I carried a 3 litre Camelbak and didn't stop at one aid station. Caveat Emptor.

The last 7km climbs from 410m ASL to 640m ASL and the last mile is pretty level (along the shoulder of Bells Line of Road)- so not that steep unless you've gone out too fast. It's quite possible to run all of it, and usually you pass a bunch of people if you do.

#15 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:24 AM

I have spent spent a couple of hours putting together a list of best times ever, fastest in each age group etc.

You can check it out here

#16 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:14 PM

I'm still trying to encourage the missus to not run this weekend (so that I can).

Just checked my previous times:
1996 3:11:12
1997 3:22:48
1998 3:43:23
1999 3:51:42

Clearly if I run I will want to redeem myself and at least run faster than 3:51. I think I would also be due one of those "I have run willy Billy 5 times" caps.

#17 vat

Watchless. Repeat, watchless.

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:03 PM

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the event now - a sudden personal matter has arisen that I will need to travel to Melbourne for a few days to assist in dealing with.

#18 Corsta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:30 PM

crikey - I knew that Damo from the running centre was quick but I can't believe his pb is the course record over such legends as Paul Arthur and Andrew Lloyd!  Must be a mountain machine.

#19 RLS

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:30 PM

There seems to be an error in the winners list. In previous results for 2000, Paul Arthur won the event with a course record 2:10:42

#20 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:49 PM

yes you are right. we have sacked the guy that made the mistake. will correct his work later today ...

#21 plu

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:00 AM

Enjoy the run this weekend those going.  I have this mental picture of the race.  Eventually I will get to see it, but alas not in 04.

Plu

#22 Action

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 11:39 PM

Striders trifecta with a Cool Runner amongst them:

1. Glenn Guzzo - course record as well,
2. Chris Truscott,
3. Darren Benson.

More results as they come to hand...

#23 James M

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:00 PM

Another great event by the Bush Fire Brigade, well organised, fantastic course and the best weather you could imagine. I have some pics i will post if i can get a hang of the thing.
Coolrunners everywhere and some great stories no doubt.  :D    :D    :D

#24 superflake

Crumbling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:19 PM

What are they feeding those striders.
Congratulations on a course record by Glenn.
I was at least a 100ks away from that running in royal np.
Hope all that ran had a good run and did their best.

#25 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:30 PM

Well, it was a fabulous run on a fabulous day.

Very well organised run by the Rural Fire Service.

Plenty of Cool Runners and Striders out in force and that was a great sight indeed.

Congratulations to all who took part. You really did make this a day I will always treasure.

#26 Sarge

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:05 AM

I want to thank the organisers for a well run event. Beginning with the meeting at Bilpin to be transported to the start by bus, the scones and hot drinks on arrival, the RFS who looked after us with drinks,jelly beans,fruit and encouragement,the finish with hot food,showers and massages.

I also thank Lonewolf who I ran with for all but the last 3 or four k's. Our strategy was to run conservatively and walk the major hills. This left us with enough at the end to finish strong and in one piece. I had a great day running and talking about running with you and if I can get a little misty I reckon we will always have this day to remember. Congrats to all the other runners you are all champions.

Blue Dog - top effort,  :)   under 3 hours. Keep going strong and dragging me along for the ride.

#27 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:28 AM

James M's pics are here

I was aiming for 3:45 to 3:50 and so was pleased to come in 3:24. I was pushing reasonably hard, and ran well. My weakness is on the uphills, and the wheels fell off at the top of the big hill. Lone wolf and Sarge took out 12 mins from me in approx the last 3 or 4km !

It was a great day for running and enjoyed hanging around. The run was great as always.

#28 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:01 AM

Kevin,

That's me with Frank and Jim Cryer.

Can you please update?

Horrie

#29 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:18 AM

Isn't it good to get know people's names ? I took my camera but didn't get it out - too busy talking (as always).

#30 Blue Dog

CoolRunning's Ambassador-For-Life

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Location:Sans Souci, Sydney's small southern sparkling sapphire suburb.

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:53 PM

Thanks to all who organised and assisted in this special day. You certainly set a standard for co-ordinating a great event.
How tough are some of those hills?
Kind regards to the others in that fantastic group of six that I ran with for the 10k or so before the bridge. We really had 'swarm mentality' happening & fed off each other by 'hunting in a pack.'
Well done Sarge & Lone Wolf and you've got to admire Glen Guzzo.....crikey, what sort of a time is that? Congratulations, truly superb running.
Great to associate with all the Striders and CR's. I will definitely make this run an annual.
Next....PB (I hope) at Striders North Head  B)

#31 pbcity

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:03 PM

This is such a good race!! Spectacular scenery and the weather conditions were perfect for running good times. First did the "billy" in 2001 with a time of 3:59. In 2002 did 3:44, had a DNF last year due to chest infection withdrawing at 28km but this year ran a PB 3:27. Planned the race carefully splitting it into three sections; the first 21km of ups and downs, the long 8km  downhill and finally the run uphill from the bridge to the finish. Worked a treat!! Thanks to all the bush fire brigade for their fantastic organisation and everything that goes into making this such a great race.

#32 Dave

There is life, death and 6ft track....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:50 PM

A great day and spectacular race. It certainly was on the warm side as well.

For a first time effort I'm pretty happy with 3:18:10. First up question for me is the accuracy of the measured course and markers. Wearing the Timex GPS the first distance marker was about 1km short and that km stayed with me for the rest of the run, finishing up at 33.98km according to the Timex. Did anyone else measure the run?

Decided to aim for around 3 hours and thus planned for 5min/k pace, pick up the pace on the downhill to compensate for the climb. Things were roughly on target until the downhill where the legs refused to run too much faster.

The uphill was a great learning experience, doing a run walk and a few people went past. Probably felt my worst just as Sarge and Lone Wolf cruised past and then James M and DJL also overtook me. At that point I was seriously considering changing my handle to O Walker. Then somehow I got a new burst of energy and ran back past James M and DJL and ran the last couple of km at 5min/k pace again!

Probably went out a little too hard (especially if my GPS measuring was wrong) but that does seem to be my style, just under an hour from the bridge at the bottom to the finish is certainly an area to improve!

#33 Don Juan

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:04 AM

A very scenic run, and well organised. The scenery  constantly changed and kept the run interesting.

Being the first attempt, I went out easy for 2-3km just wanting a good work out, and then got into a rhythm.

I was surprised at the hills starting so early up until after 15km. I then felt ordinary during the flat stretch in the middle, enjoyed the long downhill, and just plodded up the long ascent which at least was easier than six foot track.

Drink stations were well placed and some served up  performance-enhancing local plum juices. I ran 2.59. Overall a great day.

#34 James M

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Don Juan for your info

"Drink stations were well placed and some served up performance-enhancing local plum juices."

I have been wondering what that was since Saturday.  :unsure:  

Well done O Runner, I couldn't keep up with you when you got your second wind. Still managed a 5 min PB so very happy with the result.

#35 Jeremy_B

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:18 AM

I just heard of a race each year from Mt Wilson to Bilpin in the Blue Mountains. 32km offroad?
Any Cool Runners have any info on this event? Interested in training for it?
After running my first Six Foot I have a trail run appetite to indulge.

#36 vat

Watchless. Repeat, watchless.

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:33 AM

Indeed - something on  this very site.

#37 Action

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:45 PM

... and scroll down in the calendar to the 27th June for the Woodford to Glenbrook 25k bush run

#38 djl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:03 PM

Jeremy

Highly recommended.  I've done 2 and it's one of my favourite races.  Very scenic and extremely well-organised.  Supposed to be 35 km (I think) but it seems a bit shorter to me.

cheers
djl