How To Train For Raaf Shuttle Run/beep Test

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 abrogard

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:36 AM

Hi..

I'm not a runner. Not even an athlete of any kind. I'm just as applicant to join the RAAF and I need to do a shuttle run/beep test to level 6.5 to gain entry.

Their shuttle run, like most I think, is 20 metres in length and level 6.5 means about 40 or more runs across that length, not starting until the 'beep' and failure if you can't start at the beep. And each level gets quicker.

I find I can only run the distance at best at 6 seconds and when trying to do the actual test I can only stay with it until the end of level 3. The first beep on level 4 I miss out on, I'm out.

I've only got a month to get to be able to do this.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me regarding this. I don't know how to run, how to sprint, how to breathe, how to exercise, how to train, I know nothing.

regards,

ab

#2 chapel

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

G'Day and Good Luck,

Try going to http://www.army.gov....tc/fitness.html it has some formula's to work out how often to train and other links.

Also try looking at http://www.coolrunni...mp;hl=beep test .

Try Contacting a unit near where you are and ask to speak to a PTI they may let you do PT with them.

I can't say any of this will help I just run :LMAO: .

With a very lit bit of trg 6.5 is not hard to get to.

Enjoy

#3 BigAl5000

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

Start doing a walk/run routine now! And add in some body weight exercises.
You'll need to modify it to cut it shorter, but the 6.5 is not that hard to reach. Its' been a long time since i did mine and being a CD had to do it to 10 then pushups and situps, which you don't have..
But you will need to be able to run, do pushups, sit ups and chins for yor real fitness test while in basic. Cant remember what you have to run the 2.4k in i think for blokes under 12min and the lady get 13 or 14 mins. You'll get some basic PT through EMA but some good base fitness will help, else you'll be backtracked and have to stay a RCT till you pass. Kinda sounds bad but they will help you as much as they can to get you over the line. And a few extra weeks at recruit training is not such a bad thing, youll see that there will be a few who just give up. the navy have the swim test and I saw quite a lot of people unable to do the 3m drop, tears and all. But the main Fitness test, all your oppos will help you, everyone will give you the encouragement you need.
Good luck.

PT=Physical Training
CD=Clearance Diver
EMA= Early morning activity (torture)
RCT= Recruit (rank)
oppo= yor mates

Edited by Naglfar, 17 May 2009 - 09:10 AM.

#4 catgirl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

View PostIronMan001, on May 16 2009, 08:05 AM, said:

Yeah I agree, I was a member of the AAFC not quiet a PAF member but I was in the Air Force Cadets for 2 and a half years but I got to stongly agree with Chapel. Speak to the guy in charge of your selection which will probs be a SGT or WOFF because there in charge of drill and get them to find you a PT.

Could I ask what RAAF base you're joining ?

It might help if you dont use acronyms. Telling abrogard to find a "PT" is just confusing , but recommending a Physical Training Instructor is much more helpful.

Abrogard, start embracing all forms of fitness such as running, weights, and cardio. You dont just need to pass the beep test, you need to particpate in, and pass,  all aspects of physical training in whatever form of initial traing you are going to undertake. Dont worry, its all very achievable but start now. Good luck.

Edited by catgirl, 16 May 2009 - 10:03 PM.

#5 Arent

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

Am doing the same as you.

I would strongly suggest that as soon as possible you commence a comprehensive training routine.

Just training for the Shuttle Run isn't going to serve you very well, and you will need a better overall fitness level if/when you head for 1RTU in Wagga Wagga.

Remember there is the 2.5 km run, and flex hang, push-ups and sit-ups to get ready for, plus some much longer marching distances (from what I have heard).

I just started out by walking each day and have slowly built it up gradually with a little weight work, plus the C25K program, and the push-up/sit-up routines.

If you look on the ADF recruitment website there is a section "Get fit for the ADF in just four weeks" have a look and you will be much better prepared if you follow it for your beep test. But you need to start now.

Cheers, and good luck !

#6 turtle-runner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

View Postabrogard, on May 16 2009, 04:36 AM, said:

Hi..

I'm not a runner. Not even an athlete of any kind. I'm just as applicant to join the RAAF and I need to do a shuttle run/beep test to level 6.5 to gain entry.

Their shuttle run, like most I think, is 20 metres in length and level 6.5 means about 40 or more runs across that length, not starting until the 'beep' and failure if you can't start at the beep. And each level gets quicker.

I find I can only run the distance at best at 6 seconds and when trying to do the actual test I can only stay with it until the end of level 3. The first beep on level 4 I miss out on, I'm out.

I've only got a month to get to be able to do this.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me regarding this. I don't know how to run, how to sprint, how to breathe, how to exercise, how to train, I know nothing.

regards,

ab
Hi, I just read your post....how are you going with it?

I used to be in the RAAF for 12 years - the final 3 working at a recruiting centre, and used to have to take applicants for the test all the time.

Before I joined I could not run 100metres, but I had 10kilos to lose before I could be interviewed and  I would have to have some fitness for basic training I just strated walking and running a little bit more each night - took 3 months but built it up to 10km.....nothing prepares you for basic training though.

For the BEEP test, ring up your recruiter and ask for a copy of it on CD - or I think (it used to be) on the Defence jobs website for downloading to a MP3 player / IPOD.  Take your car to an empty car park / sport field - measure out 20 metres - turn the stero up and just practice - and pactice to level 7 or above- as if you just go to level 6.5 as required - you will struggle on the day.  Also take someone with you that will push you when you want to stop.

It's not difficult if you want it....just think the police have to reach level 10+ before joining!!

Good luck and if I can be any help in any aspect of recruiting - not just the fitness - just message me.

#7 GPS

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hi,
The NSW Police have a passing score of above 5,they have a range of
fitness test's each being awarded a score.The Shuttle run scores are
5.1 = 5 points
6.1 = 10 point's
7.1 = 15 point's etc up to 12.1 and above = 40 points

I am sure if you follow the advice of cool runers you will do well
All the best
ON ON
GPS

#8 Phoenix

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

I've improved in the beep test by building a strength circuit into my running training 3 days a week.  i.e. push ups, planking, squats, lunges, bridging etc

Also found this:

Beat the beep test! From Don Stevenson head strength and conditioning coach at www.octogen.com.auwww.crossfitsydney.com.au

One of the most common fitness assessments around is the graded shuttle test or beep test. Used by police, the military and a number of sports the beep test is used to determine aerobic fitness and in the end stage anaerobic lactate tolerance. When preparing for the beep test it is important to consider the following points. 1. Any test requires specific training and practice. 2. The higher the level of aerobic fitness the longer you will be able to go with the test before you reach your lactate threshold. 3. The better conditioned you are to lactate work the longer you’ll be able to go once you get there. First up let’s look at some bad ways to prepare for the beep test. 1. Long slow running – Even at the high levels the beep test is not a 10k run. Trying to prepare by doing long runs at a moderate pace will only get you part of the way to a good score. A little bit of 5-10k running won’t hurt but don’t make it the mainstay of your program in the weeks before a beep test. 2. Sprints with rest – Sprinting is an ATP/CP activity and this energy system won’t feature prominently until perhaps your last two 20m intervals. Ok now let’s address the three main aspects of the beep test. Develop a high level of cardio fitness

There are a number of ways to develop a high overall level of cardio fitness. Naturally running is one way however to improve your overall fitness, leg strength and lactate tolerance all in one hit I suggest the following activities.

• Rowing 500, 1000 and 2000m intervals on a Concept 2 rower.
• Tough circuits incorporating running, bodyweight exercises and weight training

These activities will not only improve your beep test score but they will make you a better overall athlete. Add to this a moderate amount of running over 400-1200m intervals and the occasional longer run and your cardio will be sorted. Develop a high lactate tolerance At a certain point in the beep test your body will transition from a state where it can clear lactic acid from your muscles as fast as it is produced to a state where the lactic acid builds up and starts to impair performance. Through specific training it is possible for your body to learn to cope better with this situation however I warn you, lactate training is never fun. Here are a couple of workouts that can improve your lactate tolerance and help you go further once the beep test pace gets high.
• Tabata intervals – row or run as hard as you can for 20 seconds and rest for 10, repeat 8 times.
• Run at a 2.4 or 5km time trial pace for 10minutes and then do a flying 800m as fat as you can to finish off.
• Row 500 or run 400m x 5 repeats with decreasing rest intervals. 2 minutes after the first, 1 minute after the second, 30 seconds for the third and 15 seconds for the 4th
• Warm up with the low levels of the beep test (1-4) and then jump to a level that is one above your current best and try to go as far into the test from this point as possible (for example if your best is 8.5 go to 9.1).
• Run lots of stairs. Specific practice In any fitness test familiarity with the test is of critical importance. There is always an element of skill to fitness tests and in the beep test this can mean a number of things. Work on the following and see if you can improve your efficiency in any area.

• Practice your turns! Try not to overstep the line or carry too much momentum into the turn.
• Practice being as relaxed as possible for as long as possible.
• Know the surface you’ll be running on.
• Practice the test about once every week
• Practice some of the higher levels and see how long you can keep up.