241 replies to this topic

#201 Virtual

I can be dying an hour after I can be flying. Gabriel Flores

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:51 AM

Horrie, An addition..  Ken went to Pluvi & return. He was in front of go girl by 20 min when I saw him half way up Pluvi.  Brendan

Support our Australian advertisers:

#202 Brick

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:17 AM

Thrax did at least 6' Track he was coming down the hill to Caves House as I was going up.

View PostHorrie, on Aug 10 2009, 07:19 AM, said:

From the posts on this thread and my memory, I will attempt to post a finisher's list. There will probably be a few errors. So please let me know them when you see them.

Kranky 11:49
Terry 11:50 (getting used to these close finishes)
Patrick (possibly newbie paddy500) 12:02
Cookie Man
run2work 12:39
buzzlightyear 12:48
FKASM (formerly known as Slow Maniac) 12:48
djbleakman 13:06
Brick 13:15
EverReadyBunny 13:20
MQ 13:20
vstaR 13:27
Horrie 13:55
Graham Wye 14:27
Virtual 17:41
louie de fly ?
Coolwalker David ?

Party Pooper options

Long Arms Caves Rd
Shogun 6 Foot
Innes 6 Foot
Milov 6 Foot
Paul Every 6 Foot
female accompanying Paul 6 Foot
Justdidit (with son in pram) 6 Foot
RawAussieAthlete ?
Go Girl Pluvi and return
Ponkey Deviation and return

#203 TrailTrash

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

I also did pluvi return. 8.29.
Gav

#204 shogun

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

Another beautiful day in the bush.

Thoroughly enjoyed running with people rather than the lonliness generally experienced.

Never planned on running 12FT this year and I wasn't sure what I was planning on running on the day. Took it nice and easy from the start to Megalong and enjoyed a somewhat philosophical conversation with Thrax (finally managed to catch up with after exchanging a few emails over the last few months). Thrax stopped to remove some clothing and I headed off to my favourite part of the run - the singletrack from Megalong Road down to the Coxs River. Ran with Innes and was surprised how easily he dropped me on the short climbs. Hit the river in 1:26(?). Struggled from the Coxs to the top of Pluvi (~2:48) and had decided to turn around and run back to the tree. Headed back down about 1km and then decided to make a phone call and see if my wife wanted to come out to the Caves and do a tour with the kids but she didn't pick up. Saw Sean coming past and decided to run and chat while heading back up the hill reaching it in around 3:10 (from memory).

Left Sean to continue on with his knee and made a stop to call to my wife and see how my son went at soccer. Terry and Innes went passed at this stage (I think). My son had a great game and my wife told me to go and run (I'd only wasted about 5 minutes). I was waiting to see if Brick or another runner I knew would come past and I could have a run with them but after a few minutes I decided to head of and see if I could catch Terry, Innes or Sean. I was amazed how good I was starting to feel along Black Range (unusual) and I was further surprised when I quickly caught up to the runners ahead.

I walked with Sean for a while but then felt the need to start running again before my muscles locked up. Decided to open the throttle a little and passed one runner at Deviation and Innes, Terry and another runner before the road. Started feeling strong through here and had my best run to date on the section from the road down to the caves running it easily in around 35 minutes (wish I could have done that at 6FT this year).

Reached the caves in around 5 hours to strangely find no one there. Wasn't sure if I was going to keep going or not but decided to buy a coke and fill up the water bladder all the same. After about 10 minutes pfaffiing around I decided to at least head back up the hill. I always enjoy the walk up with runners coming past on their way to the turn around as it gives me an opportunity to see how others are faring. A few runners went passed and then I decided to sit on a rock and enjoy the sunshine for a while. Innes went passed and told me he was calling it quits at the cave. Sounded good and my decision was made. Walked up to the top of the climb because I felt like I needed to do something and then headed back down. Had a funny moment with Terry when he covered his eyes and commented that he couldn't believe that I was doing hill repeats. Just out having fun.

Covered 6FT plus some additional hills for about 50km and had a great day enjoying the company and conversation of others along with the awesome views. Thanks everyone. Hope all injuries heal quickly!!!

It looked like there were many great runs out there. Congrats!

#205 Ourimbah

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

Congrats everyone on there runs...

Looks like all enjoyed the day.

darrel

#206 RunMikeyRun

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the company, I managed to get through the 12 ft, finishing together with Grant "rawaussieathlete" in 15.35 after getting to jenolan in 6.20 and having 15 minutes to chat with Milov and share his hot chips.
Luckily Grant caught me on the black range or I would have walked the whole way back without any company.  It always feels more comfortable when two of you take a wrong turn!! Not much left at the finish and it was very nice to crawl into bed and stop. Michael :)

#207 CoolwalkerDavid

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Location:west of Sydney - east of the Mountains - North of Penrith

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

OK - I didn't want it desperately enough did I.

I'm afraid that amongst all the other amazing stories I ended up with the glass 7/12 full - yup I at least now look at it that way rather than 5 foot empty -

After feeling totally exhausted a few weeks ago just doing the tree to Megalong and back I knew this was not going to be the best of days - especially as the last few weeks had been stressful and virus ridden.

I had not really explained to my wife that being gone Saturday would possibly entail half of Sunday as well and this became a factor - that and the fact I am probably 8kg heavier than last year.

The strategy of leaving Megalong at 3am ( actually 3.10) would have been better if I had more than an hour's sleep Friday night - oh well I'll fine tune that next year - or whenever I decide I am fit enough to do this by myself ( after all no-one ever seems to go my speed :)) .

It took me 1.10 to get to the Nellie's Glen sign and then 50 minutes to get to the tree - hmmmm - after almost aborting until everyone else arrived at 7 I left the tree at 5.10am and after taking 36 minutes to get back down to the sign I estimated I should get to Megalong at 6.56 - and did -

however I seemed to take for ever to get my gear on for the rest of the trip and left Megalong at 7.10 - after meeting up with/being overtaken by an assortment of lovely people I opted for the bridge crossing and saw Buzz flash past for the first time. I have no head for heights and always freak out while crossing the bridge and then discovered on the steps after the bridge that the energy was gone already. I really should have trained a few days this year!!!

I wondered into Cox's at 7.10 and started the slow slog up - seeming to get slower and slower -

I had really loved the first three and a half hours - it had been perfect listening to the fauna thrashing around in the dark and the whip and bell birds and presumably finches at dawn- the eucalypts had cleared my chest and apart from stupidly taking my gloves off at Magalong and watching my hands turn blue they bacame pink again fairly quickly.  The next half an hour to Cox's wasn't too bad but things just seemed to get worse as the day progressed.

I ate better - hydrated better and had better candle power but was just too slow on any sort of incline - I got thoroughly wet feet on the 3 Alum crossings and was amazed to hear later that Just Did It had got himself and the pram and his son over them and Cox's with barely wet feet.

Anyway it became a plod with the occasional surge of minimal decrease in lack of speed. I was wondering whether to turn back at Pluvio but somehow never worked out where Pluvio was and found myself wandering along towards the deviation. It was here I heard what I was sure was somebody running beside a bicycle - doh !! I was hallucinating - it was a running pram full of son !!! We have pictures to prove the meeting and then on Kieren went - having to run through every puddle to satisfy the mini task master - absolutely bizarre and even more humbling than usual as they vanished into the distance.

Now when Lou had passed earlier I had muttered about there being no time limit and implied I would finish whatever happened and I still wanted to do this until I tried to msg home and realised that there was no signal along the range - or at deviation - (or caves road later).  This weighed on my mind and by the time I was at deviation I decided that perhaps I needed a rest and a rethink. At this point I had a chat to Horrie and a bite to eat and lo and behold missed Buzz on the way back as he flashed past the camp site.

It was great to see Thrax-veg on the first of the three little hills before caves road and to my surprise the food or something got me up the rocky and then smooth other 2 hills quite well. I wandered down towards the Caves and met Lou again on the flat stretch about 3 km out from the caves. This time I did not mention finishing - I really was in a quandary as I was now worried about keeping contact with my wife if I did decide to to the 12 foot. By the time I lurched into the carpark at 5.40 pm (it took 40 minutes to do the last bit of the footpath down) I had 2 possibilities - try to get a lift back part or all the way to the car at Megalong or probably have an hour or more rest/nap and then take another 12 or more  hours to negotiate the final 35k. If I did this not only would I be pushing myself a bit but I knew my wife would not sleep and become stressed which I really did not want to put her through. This was exacerbated by lack of mobile coverage so a lift was the best option.

Just Did It had mentioned that if he missed the bus from Jenolan he would have to contact his lovely wife to pick him up. I hardly believed they still would be at Jenolan but either I was hallucinating again or there was the pram outside the hotel.

Thanks to the lovely Megan who shared the back seat with two albeit small children I had a warm and comfortable lift. I had several thoughts about getting a lift to the deviation and finishing the last 24 or however many ks to Megalong but decided just to do the trip down from Blackheath to the car at Megalong like last year but lo and behold the pram canopy had been jettisoned by Just Did It at Megalong so in the end I called it a day at 53km - 6 foot plus Megalong to the Tree - in an unusually long 14 half hours - and was transported right to my car and in return lent JDI a torch to make the canopy easier to find.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words on the day - and especially to you Just Did It and Megan for the lift out of the caves and the very enjoyable time spent in your company

Next time !!!!! which may well be a solo effort if I ever get fit again.All the best everybody

David

Edited by CWDNN, 10 August 2009 - 02:38 PM.

#208 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

I had a cruisy day out on the trail.

Many thanks to Buzz who successfully tempted me to join the fun and offered the lift up.

My plan was to run to the top of Mini Mini Saddle then return to the tree and kick on to Katoomba Station for 43km. After hooking up with CR lurker Sarah before Megalong Valley Road, we ran and chatted together and decided on the more social option of sharing company to Jenolan where Sarah's husband would provide me with a return lift to Katoomba.  

As we passed the deviation, Sarah's knees became increasingly unenthusiastic and about the return journey to The Tree and in particular about anything that involved a descent. Following a slow and painful walk down the hill leading to the Caves, Sarah was greeted by her husband John and assorted support crew, friends and groupies at Carlotta's Arch. After about 7:30 on the trail, it was time for sense to prevail.

Thanks to Sarah and John for enabling me to enjoy a day in the mountains that was more pleasant than I anticipated.

#209 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

View PostPaul Every, on Aug 10 2009, 01:48 PM, said:

I had a cruisy day out on the trail.

Many thanks to Buzz who successfully tempted me to join the fun and offered the lift up.

My plan was to run to the top of Mini Mini Saddle then return to the tree and kick on to Katoomba Station for 43km. After hooking up with CR lurker Sarah before Megalong Valley Road, we ran and chatted together and decided on the more social option of sharing company to Jenolan where Sarah's husband would provide me with a return lift to Katoomba.  

As we passed the deviation, Sarah's knees became increasingly unenthusiastic and about the return journey to The Tree and in particular about anything that involved a descent. Following a slow and painful walk down the hill leading to the Caves, Sarah was greeted by her husband John and assorted support crew, friends and groupies at Carlotta's Arch. After about 7:30 on the trail, it was time for sense to prevail.

Thanks to Sarah and John for enabling me to enjoy a day in the mountains that was more pleasant than I anticipated.

I was surprised to see you heading into the Cave, but it comes as no surprise that you were helping out and supporting a runner to make it to their support crew. Good on you.

I am glad sense prevailed. Maybe Sarah might try for the 'return' trip next year!

r2w

#210 vstaR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Warning: long report follows (but hey, it was a long day out)

My 12 Foot race report - a story of food, feet, friends and firetrails (with a soundtrack)

While I'd missed most of the big runs on the race calendar this year, due to injury and other commitments, 12 Foot was the closest thing I had to a not-negotiable. Every discussion with vStar around plans for August was met with a "Don’t forget I'm doing 12 Foot this year!" or "on 8/8 I'm busy!". Finally getting my Achilles Tendonosis right, my training had been progressing well, moving up into 90-100k weeks and even started doing a few mid week runs with BMMC to help me lift my game. About 5 weeks ago, I developed a niggling soreness around my right knee, but it never got to an acute pain, and would generally disappear or fade after a few k's so I assumed it wasn't anything too bad and just lived with it.

Deciding in May that I really should lose some weight to make long distances easier on my body, I'd improved my diet, cutting down on cakes, Maccas, hot chips etc and only having about 6 beers in the last 3 months, I'd shed roughly 6 kilos and was the lightest I'd been in about 10 years. However, part of the fun of ultra preparation is the carbo loading in the days beforehand, where I got to eat and drink things I'd foregone, so now I was eating Honey smacks for breakfast instead of muesli, and asking vStar to buy me soft drinks, english muffins, ice cream and loads of garlic bread when she did her weekly groceries, as well as chocolate bars for the day itself.

Surprisingly, I felt very calm and relaxed on Friday, totally opposite to the day before last year's North Face 100 where I spent about 2 hours in the sick bay at work throwing up into a bucket. I took this as a good sign, that although this would be only my second run over 50k's the distance held no fear for me.

Other than organising my pack and food requirements for Saturday on Wed and Thurs night, I also decided that I'd take an MP3 player with me - the first time I've ever done a group run with one. I anticipated spending a lot of time on my own, particularly on the way back, and figured I'd be in a world of pain and suffering after the first 45k's so should grab whatever source of motivation or distraction I could get. My unit had died a few weeks ago, so I borrowed vsTar's (10yo daughter) tiny hot pink 2Gb model (it did clash with the rest of my ensemble, but who cares). Without wanting to spend a lot of time picking through the 'right' songs to download, I used the Shuffle Music option in Media Player and left the random songlist in the hands of the MP3 gods.

Indian for dinner (last carbo loading meal) and watched the Panthers get robbed by the referees while I did a final bag pack. Up at 5am next morning, applied bandaids, anti-chafe, had some toast with jam and a strong cup of tea and out the door. Normally I wear shorts on a daytime run, but a check of the BOM website on Friday arvo told me the forecast was Min 1 and Max 10 degrees, so chose to wear full length compression tights the whole day, figuring it would help with my niggly knee as well to have that extra support. So arrived at the start at Explorers Tree, Katoomba at about 6:20am, to see Kim, Long Arms and Innes there before me. Had my long tights, a short-sleeved thermal t-shirt and long-sleeved running top on, but within about 2 mins I was back to the car to get out a jumper, gloves and beanie. Ate a banana and finished a powerade. The cold coupled with all of the 'hydrating' of the last 24hrs meant I had 3 nature visits between 6:30 and 7am.

Catching up with old friends before the start there was a consistent theme. "Rob, haven't seen you for ages/since Wild Endurance/since 6 Foot" promptly told me that I'd really only done a few runs/races in the last 12 months, all of them greater than the marathon distance. Had I moved too far over to the dark side of ultra running? Am I now an ultra snob - "I don't get out of bed for less than 45k's"? No wonder I don't bother with speed work.

Flying Fist, founding member of BMMC, was there at the start and kindly offered to take my return leg/night gear to Jenolan, for which I was, and still am, hugely grateful. The problem with having a 30L adventure racing pack is that you can practically fit the proverbial kitchen sink in there, and it felt like I'd packed all that and more. Handing over what seemed like half the weight of my pack undoubtedly made my trip up Mini Mini and Pluvi so much more enjoyable.

A quick couple of photos in front of the Tree and all of a sudden we were off. It was 7am. Unfortunately, in the hubbub of the photos and chatting to old acquaintances I'd forgotten to turn on my Garmin, so started running without the GPS having picked up satellites. Tried jogging slowly then walking to no avail, and was one of the last of the 28 after the first 300m. Bugger it - keep going and pick up satellites at the bottom of Nellies Glen stairs. The stairs were wet and muddy, but made it down at a leisurely pace with no slips so a good start. Finally picked up GPS after about 2.5k's, so made mental note to keep adding 2.5k to whatever total my watch was showing throughout the day.

Ran with run2work who had come to Blue Mountains for a romantic weekend with his wife, and we took it easy to Megalong Road, with me doing a bag drop (frozen Powerade, choc bar and Salt & Vinegar chips) at the fence sty at 5k's, and again at the Road for the trip back. Got there just under 1 hour. Heeding Spud's mantra of "eat early and eat often" I ate a cheese and bacon roll as we left Megalong Rd and John dropped off just after the vineyard. Onto the single track and I caught up with SlowManiac who was boarding a bus with 3 girls (ERB, MQ & GoGirl). Clearly from the calibre of the girls, it was the morning bus to a private ladies college! After more comfortable running, there started to be a 'rumble in the jungle', and not wanting to impose last night's Beef Korma and garlic naan on anyone, I overtook ERB and took off for the amenities at the Cox's River.

Caught up to Brick just before the river crossing, slightly ahead of schedule, and saw that the water was up a bit. Brick plunged on in, but I could see a few others traversing the rocks and I wanted to keep my feet dry as long as possible, knowing that wet feet = blisters for me. Following SlowManiac's path across the slippery granite river rocks, I managed to get across ok, but decided to wait and see if I could help GoGirl across by tracing my steps. Unfortunately, despite (or possibly because of) my assistance, her foot slipped on the widest traverse and we both went down into the water. Laughter all round was a good sign at least.

Placed my 3rd drop bag under a tree and had a banana. GoGirl needed a gear change so I left her and walked ahead on the climb up Mini Mini, expecting her to catch up. I caught up with ERB and MQ just past LemonTree Yards and said I was worried that GoGirl had injured herself in the fall as she should have caught me by now. I knew Paul Every was behind so that helped allay my fears. Tried a trick I'd read of using plastic shopping bags to keep feet dry at the next creek crossing, but that was a raging failure so after the third creek crossing had soaked shoes & socks so wasn't going to bother trying to stay dry anymore. Starting the long climb up Pluviometer I was walking with Graham Wye and eating a vegemite sandwich. Feeling good I passed a few others going up Pluvi and at the top (bang on 3hr30mins for 26k's) I took out my handheld with powerade for the sugar & salt intake, and a banana. Realised I'd forgotten to visit amenities to unload some weight in all the excitement at the river.

Ran well along Black Range walking only on the inclines and caught up with Brick just past the Moorara Boss trail head. His nausea had come back with a vengeance (I so wished I had something in my pack to fix him up!). We walked/shuffled together for a while until he told me to run off ahead as he didn't want to slow me down. I think he was just being a gentleman, as within about 30 steps of me moving away from him I could hear his retching echoing through the ridgeline. Poor bugger. He caught me again just before Deviation while I was walking eating a honey & peanut butter sandwich - can't run and swallow this mix! Tried to avoid the mud puddles but sank into one which swallowed my whole shoe, to which Brick said you have to get dirty on a run like this. We ran together to Caves Rd crossing where Robimum and Flying Fist were parked waiting to aid runners. A quick chat about plans for Caves House and I was off in a group with run2work, BLY and Horrie, the 4 of us staying together until the descent into Caves House. I kicked a rock into my right ankle bone on the steep descent - I didn't know you had a funny bone down there, but that's what the pain felt like. A "WOOHOO" and a "YEEHAA" from Keith heralded our arrival at the halfway point, Jenolan Caves House. 45k's down in 5h51m (12:51pm).

Faffed around with my pack with assistance from FlyingFist, changed my top into a long-sleeved thermal, downed a can of dry ginger ale (ginger settles the nausea and excess sugar is always helpful) and went inside to buy a hot tea - strong with 3 sugars please. Caves House café is notoriously slow for service and today was no exception. Sent vStar a text message ("jenolan 10mins ahead. Tired, sore, muddy but happy!") Took my shoe and sock off to apply a bandaid to a heel blister, and went to refill my water bladder, only to find that I still had over a litre in there. Clearly not drinking enough, as even with the handheld I'd only drunk about 1.5litres for the first 45k's! Decided I'd wasted enough time so set off again (now 1:16pm so my pitstop was 25mins), sipping my hot tea while walking the slow slog back up out of Jenolan. As Shogun had dropped out at 6ft, and I was being ably supported by a BMMC brother even though I'd only recently been recruited, I wanted to do them proud, so had to get my backside into gear.

The tough climb out was a really low point for me. Sitting and standing around at Caves House had cooled me down enough that my ankle was now throbbing badly and the angle of the path meant I was feeling a few more blisters on my feet, and I had that internal debate: Should I turn back? Should I stop and look? No, keep going until Caves Rd crossing. I can get a lift from there if it gets too much worse. Another thing I found on this stretch was that my forgetting to apply lip balm this morning had resulted in dry, cracked lips, and I had a steady diet of S&V chips (extra salty) to ward off cramps. The salt stung my lips something fierce, so I had to carefully place every chip right into my mouth to avoid either the chip or my fingers touching my lips.

Except for about 5 mins in total, I was alone the whole 45k's back to Katoomba, so the return leg was mostly me, my thoughts and my music.

I had planned to get my MP3 out at Deviation if I was alone, expecting that the battery life was only going to last 4-5hrs, but was feeling so crappy and in pain that I decided I needed the pick-me-up now, so stopped at Binda cabins, topped up my water bladder at the shower block and got out the MP3. Ok, let's see what the MP3 gods have got for me. A Rihanna number was first up (thanks to vstAr, my 13yo daughter), then "the Venga Bus Is Coming". What!! OMG LOL!! (ok, Gen Y moment out of the way, won't happen again). Thought about this shocker: hmmm...eldest child 13….this song from mid-late 90's….can't really blame the kids (he writes sheepishly). Still, did make me laugh. Next song was Blackeyed Peas "I gotta feeling, that tonight's gonna be a good night". Hey, good omen! Unfortunately, was still in a black hole mentally, and was really feeling the blisters on both feet now to go with the throbbing ankle. Too much walking was helping my muscles seize up. Realised I'd forgotten to visit amenities to unload some weight in all the excitement at Jenolan, so when I got to Caves Rd I decided to continue on to Deviation Campgrounds where I knew there was a toilet block, hoping it wasn't locked.

Got to campgrounds at 3:30-ish (had planned on 3:20pm so dropped a bit of time here) and jumped the gate, doors unlocked thank heavens. Finished then sat down outside on the ramp to fix blisters and get out some nurofen. Took right shoe then sock off. Heel looked a little ugly, but the ankle bruise was only reddy-brown, not purple-green, and no swelling, so thought I'd live. Blister on heel had already burst so put another bandaid on the flapping bit of skin, popped the drugs and put the sock back on. My hip flexor cramped every time I brought my knee up to tie my laces, so I didn't bother trying to get my left shoe off. MQ and ERB had gone past while I was sitting doing first aid, and Graham went past shortly after. Pack back on and earphones in. I tried to climb back over the gate and my hip flexor seized up again, so it took a few goes before I was back on the firetrail.

Opened another pack of S&V chips - owww. That's right, avoid stinging the lips! Walked until I finished them then caught up to Graham. Ran/walked with him for a short time then realised I was better off shuffling at one speed than stop/start rhythm he was employing. I don't know whether it was the nurofen kicking in, or George Thorogood & the Destroyers with a live version of "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" but soon I was motoring along at 5:00m/k's and had lost sight of Graham behind me. Boston's "More than a feeling" (one of my favourite 'Guitar Hero' songs) was soon after and I was flying along feeling no pain heading down Black Range to the top of Pluvi. A few slower songs to calm me down then In The Air Tonight came on. It was still daylight but who cares about the fine detail. "I've been waiting for this moment….all my life" Right on, Phil! Now, I could say that I needed to stretch my arms right now, but I may have looked a bit like the Cadbury gorilla. Again, who cares. Only me and some trailbikers along here.

Got to top of Pluvi still feeling good, had another banana and got out some jelly snakes. Ran well down Pluvi but started to feel the workout I was giving my quads. No cramps though, so happy about that. Past ERB and MQ again. By the time I got to the bottom of Pluvi, my quads had taken a beating and I was feeling the blisters again. Limping along to Alum Creek after one of the little creek crossings, Bat Out of Hell came on. "and I'm lying at the bottom of a hill in the blazing sun……and I think somebody somewhere must be tolling a bell..". Now, I'm a fan of Jim Steinman epics, and it wasn't a blazing sun, but come on Mr Loaf, you're bringing me down! Revving harleys kicked in and negative thoughts were gone.

The combination of music I was getting - some would say eclectic, some would say weird, some would say horrible - but the jumping around from Guns n Roses to Pussycat Dolls to Janis Joplin to The Script meant that I never knew what to expect and it really did take my mind off the distance covered and the distance still to go. And sorry, Kasey Chambers, but Taylor Swift is my newfound country music sweetheart!

I popped a couple more nurofen, and had a few more red snakes and soon enough was shuffling along ok. Heading up the short steep section above Alum Creek campground, I had a moment of true clarity. That I knew, really knew, that I was going to finish this run and finish strong. Maybe people get it when they know they're going to ace an exam as they turn the second last page, or set a PB 80% into a race, but I'd never felt it so strongly. I mean I had planned, and expected to finish, but this was a forceful "I Know...".

Had a good run down Mini Mini, still feeling the quads but knowing I'd be resting them soon enough when I got to the Cox's again. Arrived at Cox's at 5:18pm, over 20mins faster than planned. Horrie was just crossing the rocks. Grabbed my drop bag of powerade (still frozen!), chips and chocolate bar. I was going to plunge straight in but the river looked deeper than waist high and I wanted to keep my torso and thermal top dry, so went over to the rocks. Stepped delicately through the water - don't want a twisted ankle this close to the end. Walked a little while daintily eating my chips, then crunched through a rock-hard frozen chocolate. Caught up with Horrie as he was getting out his torch. I could still see but wanted to get further along before it got too dark, and I also knew my Garmin was running low on battery life so was hoping to do one complete pitstop (garmin, headlamp, goretex jacket, beanie) rather than stop a few times. Managed to get about 2 more k's along the single track before my Garmin beeped at me. Pulled over, got out jacket, headlamp, handheld torch, beanie, gloves, emergency charger and batteries and connected it all up. Also got out more snakes to help me get through the last few hours.

Horrie, then ERB and MQ passed me again while I was faffing around with my kit. A flash of 'competitive' annoyance went through me at being overtaken due to "wardrobe issues", but then I thought about it a bit more and I was soon smiling. You see, I know what these guys have achieved in the last few years in the ultra scene, so it was actually a buzz to be near them and in a position to be overtaken 80k's into an event! On top of that, I still felt great (relatively speaking).

I hared off after them (I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm just competitive….honest) and caught Horrie before Pinnacle Hill. He'd slowed considerably and seemed to be in a low place. I contemplated staying with him but he said he'd be ok as he had a 'V' waiting for him at Megalong rd. Going over the crest of the hill I could see the headlamps of ERB and MQ ahead but I'd planned to stop at the Road to get my next drop bag and ring vStar to let her know how I was going, so I didn’t chase the girls and foolishly risk blowing up.

It was a surprised Mrs who answered my call, as it was only 6:50pm and I was about 1.5hrs ahead of what I'd told her to expect. 9k to go, and another frozen drink (note to self: you don't need to freeze your drop drinks in winter!), chips and frozen choc bar. Ate the chips,  held the choc bar inside my glove to thaw it out a bit, and was only getting slivers of drink and ice out of the bottle.

The last 8k's or so became tough. I couldn't find my last drop bag near the fence sty at the 5k mark, so I hoped that I had enough water in my camelbak (I didn't fill up at the river as I had 3 powerades waiting) to get me home. Mark Knopfler's instrumental "Going Home" was a nice touch from the music gods along Nellies Glen Rd (not totally unexpected - I have a few different versions of this on my PC so chances were good). Got to the start of the single track at 12h48mins (7:48pm) and thought that even 1 hr to do the last 2k's would still see me beat the 'double cut-off' time of 14hrs.

The stairs were hard on my battered quads, then Ben Lee started singing "Love me like the world is ending". Shut up dude! At this stage I was climbing 10 steps, stop, drink a mouthful, with a snake every 3rd or 4th stop. A couple more happy songs, then I kid you not, Kelly Clarkson's "Never again". I told her to shut up as well, with a few other choice words. Maybe I was losing it a bit, but I took it personally, as though the MP3 gods were trying to break my will, so I got angry with them (I know, not really a rational line of thought, is it?), and said to myself no more rest stops until I finish. It probably helped that my torchlight only went up about 8 or 10 steps at a time so I couldn't see how much further I had to climb. Eventually got to the railing at the top and now it was only 800m to go.

As I got to the end of the carpark, I took my (still charging) garmin out of my pocket and saw 13:26:xx. Hey, I can beat 13:30! I have no idea why 13:30 was important to me at that point, but it must have seemed like a good round number. So I shuffled as fast as my legs would carry me along the road, to be first greeted by applause and whistles, then "So, who is it?" I waved appreciatively and ran down past the cars to the tree and touched the fence. Took out my watch and stopped it on 13:27:29. Justdidit walked over to shake my hand at the Tree which was a nice touch. SlowManiac met me at my car while I waited for vStar to arrive to take me home. Too cold and painful for a cooldown stretch so after some goodbyes we hopped in the car for the drive home.

A successful day at the office!

#211 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

Great race vstaR and superb report mate next is a 100 miler.

#212 shogun

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

vstaR you've done the BMMC proud. Well done!!!!

Great report.

#213 Ponkey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

Had a great time out on the trail on Saturday. Got a call late on Friday from Milov seeking a life up to the tree. Picked Milov up early but for some reason the drive to the tree seemed to take ages and we only arrived with about 10 mins to spare.

Decided in the week leading up that I would test my recovering calf and achilles, but if I felt any discomfort I would cut short my run to live to fight another day.

I joined the group photo but hadnt sorted all my gear, so by the time the "gun" went at 7am I was still fiddling with gear and departed about 15mins late. Once down the stairs I was pretty much on my own for the first hour until I caught the back markers including Paul and Sarah.

Chatted for a while then took off for the river arrving about 1hr 50ish. Climbed steadily up from the river reeling in a few back markers that I could see way up in the distance including GoGirl and Raw Aussie. After the creek crossings I spied MQ and ERB and caught them going over onto Black range. Decided to run for 4hrs and return to the tree in 5 hrs for a total of 9hrs on my feet.

Back along Black Range I decided to get a feed before the descents to the river. Saw Paul and Sarah at the top and they said they would press on to the Caves due to knee problems hampering Sarah. They also said Go Girl had returned to the tree due to fatigue and was approx 3kms ahead. I decided to let loose on the descents as this is a weakness of mine as I prefer steep climbs. Improvements over the last few months at Sean session on my stride and with quicker, lighter steps I was able to fly down the hills. The intention was to smash the quads as much as possible as I wasnt running the full distance. I had so much fun in the sunshine, just me and the trail. I caught Go Girl near the bottom of Pluvi and we chatted for a bit, we then caught up with Ken. I pressed on ahead to the river. I was amazed to see pram and toddler heading in the opposite direction. No mean feat !

Had a 20min snooze in the sun at the river and waited for GoGirl to arrive. We headed off back to the tree. At the bottom of Nellies I took off again to try and make the climb up the stairs as fast as I could and managed it in 21 mins from the start of the climb to the tree which is the fastest time I have done in many attempts. Must have something to do with the fact I had only covered [art of the course. Stopped the clock in a time of 9hrs 30 mins with 71kms on the GPS.

Chatted with Milov and Sean in the car for a while and watched GoGirl and Ken come in. Gave Ken a ride back to Sydney and managed a meal in my local sushi bar reflecting on the day.

All up I achieved all my goals, plenty of time on my feet, decent distance, some speed work on the hills, no injuries and no aches and pains and some good company. Pulled up well  the next day and feel fit and healthy again. Doesnt get better than that. Hope to make it the full 12 foot soon

#214 RMC

all day and night that's a long run..

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

View PostVirtual, on Aug 9 2009, 11:17 PM, said:

Here's how not to do it..

* Arrive from Beijing on Friday afternoon having enjoyed the service
* No proper training since Western States in 2007
* Add 10kg since moved overseas 2yrs ago
* 17:41 finish. 5th  12 foot. Mainly rebel runs and slowest by heaps..

You crazy bugger Brendan.  :)

I must do this out and back run one day. Definitely 2010.

#215 Louie de Fly

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

Hi
My splits 8hr45m to caves 12h.20m to tree finished about 0405hrs about 20h.05m

I am into the first two weeks of training to strengthen my legs that has left me with sore legs so could not run far settled for a slow walk

Quote Virtual

Picked up Louie on Black Range, took the opportunity to tell him about my crewing experience at Badwater, but he eventually realised that I was procrastinating and told me to get running

Herd some huffing and puffing coming up behind me this runner (told me about an American knowing everything there was about ultras didn't need anything) the runner said his hands were swelling and needed salt offered him salt or magnesium tablets but he said no

Quote Virtual  
unloaded spare food on Louie as he decended, good to see him

sucker don't offer louie the crow any food he'll take the lot and more tasted real nice and a good boost to the energy don't even feel sorry

Pluvi, food gone, fists swollen, called wife.. 5km to Mini. Keep moving, cold. Keep Moving

You were not alone there are a few good moto cross riders they did patrols from devi to coxs river telling me who was left on the track they are amazed at what everyone was doing and were worried about some runners

Quote Virtual
Here's how not to do it..

* Arrive from Beijing on Friday afternoon having enjoyed the service
* No proper training since Western States in 2007
* Add 10kg since moved overseas 2yrs ago
* 17:41 finish. 5th 12 foot. Mainly rebel runs and slowest by heaps..

You crazy bugger

If someone offers you something take it, I still use one of you formulas thanks for your advice and friendship well done

To all the other runners

All the best great runs
Lou

#216 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

Updated results

Kranky 11:49
Terry 11:50 (getting used to these close finishes)
Patrick (possibly newbie paddy500) 12:02
Cookie Man 12:29
run2work 12:39
buzzlightyear 12:48
FKASM (formerly known as Slow Maniac) 12:48
djbleakman 13:06
Brick 13:15
EverReadyBunny 13:20
MQ 13:20
vstaR 13:27
Horrie 13:55
Graham Wye 14:27
RawAussieAthlete 15:35
RunMikeyRun 15:35
Virtual 17:41
louie de fly 21:05

Party Pooper options

Long Arms Caves Rd (37km)
Innes 6 Foot
Milov 6 Foot
Paul Every 6 Foot
Sarah 6 Foot
Justdidit (with son in pram) 6 Foot
Shogun 6 Foot plus hill repeats on steep fire trail section near Caves House (50km)
Coolwalker David 6 Foot and Megalong Rd to tree (53km)
Go Girl Pluvi and return (52km)
TrailTrash Pluvi and return (52km)
lastish Pluvi and return (52km)
Ponkey Black Range and return (60km)

I think I have everybody covered. Thanks for sharing in a great day out in the mountains. :)

Edited by Horrie, 11 August 2009 - 09:15 PM.

#217 grimsey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

any news on louie? is he still running

#218 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

Great reading the race reports, sounds like it was another special day in the mountains.
Well done all.

Just did it- Love your work mate :)

#219 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

View Postgrimsey, on Aug 10 2009, 08:13 PM, said:

any news on louie? is he still running

View PostHorrie, on Aug 10 2009, 07:36 PM, said:

Updated results

louie de fly 21:05

Best to read the post above yours before posting. :)

#220 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

View Postbuzzlightyear, on Aug 9 2009, 08:15 AM, said:

I estimated I consumed around 28000 Kj of food and drinks. Don't think my diet maintain the 60/20/60 (Carb to fat to protein) but they worked well.

Buzz, What's 60/20/60? Are they % of total calories? Shouldn't they add up to 100?

#221 grimsey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

oops sorry. i was a bit worried as last time i was talking to him he was thinking of a 24 foot.  :)

#222 kranky

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:00 PM

thanks to everyone for a wonderful day out on the 6 foot.  Nice to put some faces to the names i see in the website.  I had an extraordinary day, things went very well till Nellies snap froze my brain  ( hyperthermia?? dehydration? )  i swear there was ice falling out of the sky and my breath was being snap frozen on exit from my lungs... the last section from the cemetery on took well over 1 1/2 hours!  3 steps stop... wobble.. 2 steps stop wobble some more... bent over.. forearms on quads... staring at a wet step wishing you were somewhere else....... convince yourself not to sit down... what an experience... i was pretty gah gah at the end.  By the way i wasn't hugging the explorers tree... i needed the cage to stay upright!.. thanx for the pizza at finish fantastic!

reached caves house in about 5:25..probably too quick but hey.. i'm pretty much a novice at these types of distances.  Came home well  with the exception of the above section ( it would appear others did it much more effictively... thats experience for yah..). would rank the day as certainly one of my best.  took some photos on the way...  still trying to work out how to get them off the phone!.. will post more interesting ones here in due course... thanks to all...simon krantzcke ( kranky )

#223 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

I hit Caves House in 6:40 and returned in 8:55 for a 12 foot time of 15:35.

After pulling over to sleep twice during the solo drive back to Sydney, I got a total of about 6 hours sleep before heading to the start line of City2Surf.
which was to bring a new personal slowest of 92 minutes (unofficial time).
I thoroughly enjoyed the Hermann Double.
Who comes up with these challenges! :)

It's always a joy to spend time on the trail with the Fat Ass warriors one and all.

#224 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

View Postbuzzlightyear, on Aug 9 2009, 08:15 AM, said:

How my body felt throughout the run
* A few f@st5
* No Cramps
* No Low Point (except Climbing back up Nellies!)
* No Number 2s
* Lots Number 1s

I wonder if everyone ate as much as me!!

How my body felt throughout the run
* No Cramps (despite carrying way too much weight in my pack and not bringing the celery I usually munch on for sodium/minerals)
* No Low Points (just quads that didn't like going up hills)
* No Number 2s (just managed to hold on up Nellie's and to the finish)
* Lots Number 1s (at every opportunity I engaged the Paul Every pee while run/walk technique without getting wet challenge)

During 12 foot I ate about 4300 calories of dates and sultanas, mostly soaked in my water bottles. Nothing else consumed but water.
The night before I ate 1/3 of a watermelon and another 1/4 of it scoffed minutes before the official fat ass anti-climactic call of "go".

#225 Just Did It

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

Another fantastic fatass run....

Not having been doing much training I thought it might be a good idea just to do the 6ft, and take my son on a bit of an adventure.   Arriving at the Tree just in the nick of time, we managed to make the start line photo and then had to get organised.  I put Reilly in a Mac Pac kid carrier, plus backpack inside a large pocket and had a Koolstride running pram folded and strapped up so i could carry it down Nellies Glen.  After a thousand questions from Reilly, the the steps ended,  I got Reilly out of the carrier (a relief) and assembled the pram and ran with empty kid carrier to Megalong Rd.  Here I left the carrier on a tree and set off for the Coxs.

The first stile was a learing curve -I learnt is was impossible to get Reilly and a pram across in one hit, each time I had to unstrap him, go over and re strap.  The view from Pinnicle Hill was just fantastic, and the puddles weren't even frozen over. Some horses came to watch us get over the stile.  

The foot Track to the Coxs was interesting, with a few carries down sets of stairs (pram with Reilly installed). The pram handled the rocks and ruts quite well, but not multiple stairs uphill. Stopped at the "wobbly bridge" for some rock throwing and wobbling and then back on the track to the Coxs Camp ground, in a very slow 3 hours 10.  Reilly was handling the track well, and only complained when there was "driver error" in negociating surprise hidden rocks.  Got all and sundry across the river with only one wet foot to show for it, and made some bridges between boulders in the river (for fun, not for actual use).

After a bit of a rest we attacked the hill, at a walk.  The bird life on the hill was fantastic, Bell Birds chiming, Black Cockatoos and a floatilla of small red breasted birds darting through the undergrowth.  Alot of dead gum trees here, more than last year.  2 runners flashed past coming down from Mini Mini, must have been Go Girl and Trail Trash.  The haul up to Mini Mini was invigourating, and the top was  a relief. I think it took and hour. There was a couple of pinches on Mini and Pluvi where I just could not move forward due lack of traction on the round gravel and ended zig zaging across the road until there was some grass on which to tread. Down to Little River in a flash, riding the brake, 3 creek crossings without getting wet, some more rock throwing into the water.  Water refill for the Pluvi Hill.  Met Ken (lastish?) coming down, and a chat was a good excuse for a rest.  The top appeared, as it always does and we inspected the actual Pluviometer (pictured).  I am amazed how few seem to make the small effort to see it, given the massive effort of arriving.  

The Black Range was easy going, compared to the Nellies Glen, the foot track to the Coxs, and the Pluvi.  We passed Moroora Boss Fire Trail and thought of the Hellgates fatass a few months before.  We caught Coolwalker Dave on the Black Range and had another chat.  Reilly seemed to like seeing the runners coming.

We meet Simon leading out just before the Black Range camp, he flashed past, on a mission.  On arrival at the camp, and start of the Deviation, Simons father Tony was just preparing to go, but provided a beautiful selection of food and drink.  Terry scooted by as we relaxed.  I gave Reilly another rest and refreshed we headed off down the Deviation Firetrail though magnicent forest with black mud puddles - Reilly's favourite.  I had pushed the pram though every puddle for 35 km, as commanded, and so couldn't stop now.  We now started to see the 12 footers coming back. Was amazed how fresh you guys and girls were looking, particularly after the climb out of Jenolan.

I ws worried about getting the pram up the nasty pinch before Jenolan Caves Rd, since Reilly weighs 19.5 kg rugged up, and the pram another 9kg, plus bike repair stuff, spare tube, food, water blah blah blah, but there was plenty of traction, and I couldn't stop in case other runners might see me.  A dead fox, possibly a victim of the 1080 poison was the catylst for 1000 questions from the pram, and when we discussed "why is the wombat poo broken" in great detail.  

We said hello to some familiar faces like Graham, Buzz, and Everyready and some new ones Raw aussie, vstar, run2work, virtual, runmikeyrun, MQ, Brick and Slow Maniac.  I tried to get photos of everyone, perhaps you can help me getting the right name on the right photo.  

After crossing JC rd, some more stairs to negociate then some delightful smooth soft fire trail which we both enjoyed.  I thought Reilly might have had enough by then but he was still inerested in what was going on. The final terrifying decent with brakes on the whole way.  Unfortunately the brake is on the front wheel, which is fine for "normal" use, but there is not much weight on it so it skids easily (on steep loose surfaces, in defence of the pram, at running speed).

I was too tired to carry the pram down the final set of stairs so we just rode it out finishing in 8 hours 56.  At Caves House Louis was making final preparations for the long way home. We wished him luck and he was gone.  

I had managed to get a text message to my partner Meagan at the top of the hill to come and get us.  We bought some food and sat outside in the cool fading light.  The sun goes down quickly in the valley.  After we inspected some secret passages and the impressive arches Meagan arrived and we went up to the bar for a light beer which was refreshing, but not relaxing as our younger daughter Tilly terrorised the other patrons.  Caves House is full of character and worth a look around.  There is a sad but useful display of stuffed birds in the lobby.  You can see what the Bell Birds looked like that ring out around the Coxs.

Then Coolwalker Dave appeared!  50km or more down and contemplating options for getting home.  Thankfully we were able to give him a lift back to his car at Megalong rd, though if we weren't going down there, he was set to walk there from Blackheath, another 14 km, while do-able, he didnt need to.

Great run, nice to see all the fat asses out there!

Attached Files

Edited by Just Did It, 11 August 2009 - 12:34 AM.

#226 Gadfly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

Ok,
6foot - I'm in awe of anyone who does this
12 foot - even more so
Hermann Double - OMG
6foot with a pram/backpack - speechless.  :D

Love the reports, you guys and girls are amazing.   Don't think I would ever get up to this sort of thing, but love reading about it.   Well done all.  :)

#227 Just Did It

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:15 AM

Here are some more photos.......

Spud, you missed one of the best days in the mountains!

Apologies for the attachments. I think there must be another way?

Attached Files

#228 CookieMan

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:01 PM

Another great day out at 12 foot. Finished in 12:29. Not the best of runs after getting to Caves House in around 5:16, had trouble leaving – beware the chair. Wanted to break 12 hours after doing 12:12 last year but was just happy to finish in the end.

Took a long time to get back to deviation. Good to see a few runners on the way back  - keeps you going. Biggest surprise was seeing Just Did It  with his son and the pram – a gusty effort.

Made it to Megalong road just on dark and run to work caught me as I was grabbing supplies from the tree. We ran to the bottom of Nellie’s together and made good time before he powered ahead on the stairs.

Got back home just before midnight after having a sleep on the way and then up at 5 to catch trotters bus to C2S. Wanted to break 70 minutes. However finished in 73:50 after a very slow and crowded first few kms. Swim in ocean and Bondi hotel capped a good weekend.

#229 MQ

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

So who was the kind person who left the Paragon chocolate on my windscreen! That was very thoughtful!!

Had a great day out, took it easy and ERB and I still managed to beat last years time by 30 minutes of so. Was totally impressed with Just Did it - and Reilly must be the record holder for his age?? surely. Not to mention JDI with a pram, there should be a new record section for 6 foot with pram.

We were a bit suprised when vistaR passed us down the hills, he just shot out of the blue - normally fast people have spent all their energy by then and are far ahead of us at a steady pace, and that is hilarious that you saw our lights V and almost got us too! had we thought about it.....

Terry Terry Terry - always the bridesmaid. Common mate it was so close, were you mincing accross the creeks again?

nice to see Dan, Buzz and ERM do well and manage to beat us girls, there would have been tears had we passed you.

RawAussieAthlete - well done on the Hermann double, that was one almighty pack you had.....I hope there wasn't a hair dryer in there. :)

#230 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

View PostMQ, on Aug 11 2009, 02:22 PM, said:

nice to see Dan, Buzz and ERM do well and manage to beat us girls, there would have been tears had we passed you.

You can't keep on pulling the whole 'we're just girls' excuse anymore more MQ... ERB and yourself are officially Australian International track athletes now... to beat you is a priviledge that has to be earned :) Just ask the 10 or so men you beat in Brisbane a few months ago :D

However yes I would have thrown my toys out of the pram had you beaten me... If a 13hr 20mins 90km isn't trying, then you ladies are going to kick ass in Keswick!

#231 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

View PostMQ, on Aug 11 2009, 12:22 AM, said:

RawAussieAthlete - well done on the Hermann double, that was one almighty pack you had.....I hope there wasn't a hair dryer in there. :)

To paraphrase Louis who denied the chance to stash his pack before the descent to Jenolan...
"It's all good training."

...next year I plan to cut back on gear, I reckon undies, gloves and a beanie should do it.

#232 shogun

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

Great to finally meet you Grant.

Congrats on completing the Hermann Double. Awesome effort!!

#233 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:24 PM

View Postshogun, on Aug 11 2009, 03:55 AM, said:

Great to finally meet you Grant.

Congrats on completing the Hermann Double. Awesome effort!!

Great to meet you too Branden.
Maybe one day I'll be able to keep up so we can finish our conversation :)

#234 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

View PostCookieMan, on Aug 11 2009, 01:01 PM, said:

Another great day out at 12 foot. Finished in 12:29. Not the best of runs after getting to Caves House in around 5:16, had trouble leaving – beware the chair. Wanted to break 12 hours after doing 12:12 last year but was just happy to finish in the end.

Took a long time to get back to deviation. Good to see a few runners on the way back  - keeps you going. Biggest surprise was seeing Just Did It  with his son and the pram – a gusty effort.

Made it to Megalong road just on dark and run to work caught me as I was grabbing supplies from the tree. We ran to the bottom of Nellie’s together and made good time before he powered ahead on the stairs.

Got back home just before midnight after having a sleep on the way and then up at 5 to catch trotters bus to C2S. Wanted to break 70 minutes. However finished in 73:50 after a very slow and crowded first few kms. Swim in ocean and Bondi hotel capped a good weekend.

Well done CookieMan on the 'double'. I know I could not have run a step the next day.

And well done on your 12 foot. Thanks for running with me.

If we had run together earlier we might have broken the 12 hours. Thats my goal for next year anyway.

r2w

Just Did It, thanks for the photos. People don't believe I did 12 foot, so it is good evidence that I was there!

#235 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

JDI, you are now enshrined in the folklore of 6 Foot.  :)

View PostJust Did It, on Aug 10 2009, 10:39 PM, said:

A dead fox, possibly a victim of the 1080 poison was the catylst for 1000 questions from the pram,...

I hoped you explained you were running on the Sick Fox Track.  :D

Edited by Paul Every, 12 August 2009 - 11:57 AM.

#236 Just Did It

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

View PostPaul Every, on Aug 12 2009, 11:56 AM, said:

JDI, you are now enshrined in the folklore of 6 Foot.  :)

Paul, possibly, but I will never forget the year, after 89 km you overtook me in the dark going up Nellies Glen.

I hoped you explained you were running on the Sick Fox Track.  :D

I am glad you didn't try telling me this on Saturday, I think it would have done my head in......

Regards
Just Did It

#237 EverReadyBunny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:56 AM

Ahh Paul,
I love it.
I will never be able to run on the Six Foot Track now without thinking of it as the Sick Fox track. Exactly how a kiwi would pronounce it.

#238 CoolwalkerDavid

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Location:west of Sydney - east of the Mountains - North of Penrith

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

View PostJust Did It, on Aug 10 2009, 10:39 PM, said:

Great run, nice to see all the fat asses out there!

If that first photo was the one I took JDI then I am not happy with it

can we arrange to meet there again soon so I can retake it please?

:)

Paul the fox was not sick it was dead (sic)

Don't you watch Monty Python??????

Edited by CWDNN, 13 August 2009 - 02:21 PM.

#239 Just Did It

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:09 PM

View PostCWDNN, on Aug 13 2009, 02:18 PM, said:

If that first photo was the one I took JDI then I am not happy with it

can we arrange to meet there again soon so I can retake it please?

:D

Paul the fox was not sick it was dead (sic)

Don't you watch Monty Python??????

Dave, not any time soon!

Regards
Just Did It

This business with the Sick Fox Track is driving our household round the bend.  Paul, Paul...........

#240 kranky

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:59 PM

. will post more interesting ones here in due course... thanks to all...simon krantzcke ( kranky )
[/quote]

Attached Files

#241 Zappa

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:52 AM

View Postterry, on Aug 9 2009, 08:12 PM, said:

Good to see you are still running well Run2Work. By my calculations you did a negative split by 1 minute. Very impressive.

I am wondering about next year.  

There is little info on splits here and I am a novice to SFT. Is it fair to expect an even split with the combination of changes in fatigue/elevation change/temperature?

Can I reasonably expect a 45:55 split to work up some broad pacing parameters?

#242 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

View PostZappa, on Sep 25 2009, 10:52 AM, said:

I am wondering about next year.  

There is little info on splits here and I am a novice to SFT. Is it fair to expect an even split with the combination of changes in fatigue/elevation change/temperature?

Can I reasonably expect a 45:55 split to work up some broad pacing parameters?
Depends how well you pace it really.
This year I did 12' Trcak in:
5:58 to Caves House
Return trip 7:07
Finished in 13:15.

But I did close to even splits at Glasshouse 100 miler a couple of weeks ago.

Still plenty of hills on the way back and Nellies hurts at about the 87-88km mark.