Leg Feels Like It Is Going To Give Out

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heapsfun

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

I am new to running. Have been cycling for about 12 months, longest distance 150km. About 5 months ago I started outdoor group personal training which incorporates a lot of running. And now I am following the training prgram for the City to Surf.

My question is, while I wouldn't call it pain, every so often I am getting this sensation in my left shin which makes my leg feel like it is going to give out and sometimes it almost does! It might last on and off for up to a week. I have experienced shin splints and I wouldn't really call it that - just  wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what is causing it...

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 chacha33

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

View PostHeapsfun, on Jun 28 2009, 01:32 PM, said:

Hi,

I am new to running. Have been cycling for about 12 months, longest distance 150km. About 5 months ago I started outdoor group personal training which incorporates a lot of running. And now I am following the training prgram for the City to Surf.

My question is, while I wouldn't call it pain, every so often I am getting this sensation in my left shin which makes my leg feel like it is going to give out and sometimes it almost does! It might last on and off for up to a week. I have experienced shin splints and I wouldn't really call it that - just  wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what is causing it...

i used to get a similar feeling in my left leg and i bought some cheap orthotics (bout $40) and ive been running pain free for months now. Worth a try - some orthotics offer your money back if they dont help

#3 Jason M

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:32 AM

i used to get a similar feeling in my left leg and i bought some cheap orthotics (bout $40) and ive been running pain free for months now. Worth a try - some orthotics offer your money back if they dont help

If you don't have an understand of the underlying cause, then I would suggest the risk with self prescribing off-the-shelf orthotics is a risky move. Yes it may work, but if they don't work then they will probably cause other problems.

There are quite a few reasons behind the feeling "legs giving out" as described. They include, possible shin splints as mentioned (but possibly affecting different muscles, tendons or even the connective tissue between the tib & fib). You may have a muscle imbalance where some muscle are overcompensating for others but are reaching the end of their ability to do so. There may be functional mechanical problems such as poor movement in joints in the foot or a leg length difference. You may have some rotation occuring at the pelvis affecting things. It could be as simple as the structures of the lower leg simply are strengthened/conditioned enough to the load yet.

Essentially my point is get it checked by someone qualified and with an understanding of how it applies to running. It may be nothing, but if left untreated or innapropriately treated, then it may cause ongoing problems that limit the fun in running.

#4 ashpowell

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

View PostJason M, on Sep 29 2009, 08:32 AM, said:

Essentially my point is get it checked by someone qualified and with an understanding of how it applies to running. It may be nothing, but if left untreated or innapropriately treated, then it may cause ongoing problems that limit the fun in running.

As a physio student & sports trainer I second this - almost always it is a combination of factors causing running injuries. Maybe tell everyone your general location and people can shout out professionals they recommend?

I'm a melb girl and I won't go past the Peak Physio boys (Kew) and Dr Fuller at Lifecare Ashwood

#5 DoggieDoctor

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

I was going to ask a similar question and was checking the forums not to double up. This may be exactly the same as Heapsfun described. I can be running completely pain free and I get a very slight tingle in my leg (can be either side) and moments later for no more than 2  secs, I get a feeling of numbness just like when one gets pins and needles and my leg gets weak and gives out slightly. Might happen over a period of up to 5 mins and it looks like I am running with a lameness. Then gone as quickly as it came on. No pain but a tingling like pins and needles. Doesn't happen repeatedly. Next run can be perfiectly ok. How can one describe that to a physio? And what would they look for. Tempted to talk to a back cruncher. At least they can make up some crap and tell you how good they can make you feel if you continue to go back 3 times a week for a year and pay $40 a pop!

DD