1352 replies to this topic

#1 Ewen

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

I have split this topic away from the original topic here. Why ? Discussing the 2010 Race Director/Owner relationship is very important to have buried in the middle of a separate topic (A Current Affair beatup from the 2009 race)

Kevin, CoolRunning Admin.

View PostColin, on May 18 2009, 02:00 PM, said:

Yes it is his race, and he is entitled to any unilateral action on a runner without explanation to anyone else (other than perhaps a court if legal action were taken).

However, if you claim that the DQ was due to breaking an IAAF rule, and some serious accusations btw, then don't actually apply the IAAF (nor Australian Sports commission/CAS etc) 'due process' of disciplanary action , hearings etc then it becomes the right of all stakeholders (i.e. running in general, other entrants) to ask why that wasn't followed.

Colin, the Canberra Marathon is not his race. The event is owned by the ACT Cross Country Club (ACTCCC) who have had a 5 year agreement with Cundy Sports Marketing (CSM) to organise the marathon. This agreement expired with the 2009 event. There was a review of this arrangement, and outcomes are available here.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

View PostEwen, on May 19 2009, 02:30 PM, said:

Colin, the Canberra Marathon is not his race. The event is owned by the ACT Cross Country Club (ACTCCC) who have had a 5 year agreement with Cundy Sports Marketing (CSM) to organise the marathon. This agreement expired with the 2009 event. There was a review of this arrangement, and outcomes are available here.

It is a bit ambiguous, but I read that to be that Canberra Marathon is part of the ACTCCC program and that ACTCCC is a sponsor of the marathon, which is a commercial venture operated by CSM, i.e. if they are not satisfied with the marathon they may not continue their sponsorship of it and/or remove it from their program...but the marathon would no doubt still be held by CSM.

Can you clarify.

cheers

#3 Ewen

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

View PostColin, on May 19 2009, 02:23 PM, said:

It is a bit ambiguous, but I read that to be that Canberra Marathon is part of the ACTCCC program and that ACTCCC is a sponsor of the marathon, which is a commercial venture operated by CSM, i.e. if they are not satisfied with the marathon they may not continue their sponsorship of it and/or remove it from their program...but the marathon would no doubt still be held by CSM.

Can you clarify.

cheers

No, the ACTCCC doesn't sponsor the marathon. It's an ACTCCC event and CSM is the contracted organisation to run the event. I can't tell you what's happening next year - whether CSM's contract has been renewed or if any other organisations are in the market to run the event.

#4 Ewen

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

View PostColin, on May 19 2009, 02:23 PM, said:

Can you clarify.

cheers

Some breaking news on this matter...

Originally the ACTCCC "owned" the Canberra Marathon, but now an open letter has been sent to members of the ACT Cross Country Club about a dispute with CSM about ownership of the event.

#5 rohan

rassum brassum msblsssl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

View PostEwen, on May 21 2009, 04:27 AM, said:

actually it seems to have very little to do with the story exposed by ACA...

but yes it could be a very interesting little fight between the club and the organizers of the canberra marathon.
sounds like showdown time there.

#6 Lame

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

View PostEwen, on May 20 2009, 09:27 PM, said:

Originally the ACTCCC "owned" the Canberra Marathon, but now an open letter has been sent to members of the ACT Cross Country Club about a dispute with CSM about ownership of the event.

The letter is titled "CANBERRA MARATHON - IMPORTANT OPEN LETTER TO ALL CLUB MAMBERS"

Is this letter only addressed to people with boobs?

I would be wrapped to return to run Canberra marathon if the race was organised by ACT Cross Country Club and not the "other mob".

Edited by whiter hole, 21 May 2009 - 06:04 PM.

#7 Barefoot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

View PostEwen, on May 20 2009, 10:27 PM, said:

Hope the matter is solved soon.

Meanwhile, the ACT Cross Country Club has a link directly to the Canberra Marathon showing the following dates of future Canberra Marathons;

11th April 2010, 10th April 2011, 15th April 2012 and 14th April 2013.

So the dates are set, just need to find out who will be in charge.

Edited by Barefoot, 01 June 2009 - 03:16 PM.

#8 Ewen

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

View PostBarefoot, on Jun 1 2009, 03:15 PM, said:

Hope the matter is solved soon.

Meanwhile, the ACT Cross Country Club has a link directly to the Canberra Marathon showing the following dates of future Canberra Marathons;

11th April 2010, 10th April 2011, 15th April 2012 and 14th April 2013.

So the dates are set, just need to find out who will be in charge.

From the most recent open letter to members, the ACTCCC is going ahead with plans to organise the 2010 Canberra Marathon.

#9 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

Ewen - a fascinating read and thanks for passing it on.

Its really worthy of a separate thread as it doesn't have a lot to do with the "A current Affair beat up" as dispute & issues pre-date even this year's marathon.

Keen to see how this plays out - I feel for Dave as he has personally been involved with the event for its entire history - more than 30 years, thru thick & thin. However in one way that's almost a recognition that its time to move on. Wasn't he involved with the very start of the event ?

#10 Action

Run away, run away, run away....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

View PostJoggerKev, on Jun 27 2009, 05:03 PM, said:

Ewen - a fascinating read and thanks for passing it on.

Its really worthy of a separate thread as it doesn't have a lot to do with the "A current Affair beat up" as dispute & issues pre-date even this year's marathon.

Keen to see how this plays out - I feel for Dave as he has personally been involved with the event for its entire history - more than 30 years, thru thick & thin. However in one way that's almost a recognition that its time to move on. Wasn't he involved with the very start of the event ?
The marathon was started in 1976 by the ACTCCC, Dave took over as Race Director in 1980.  I believe Dave was on the ACTCCC Committee at that stage.  Interesting times.  Yep, separate thread please!

#11 Ewen

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

Action, Dave was Vice-President of the ACTCCC in 1980 and President from 1985 to1993.

#12 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

When you look at the Big-5 Australian Marathons - Melbourne, Gold Coast, Sydney, Six Foot and Canberra, only Canberra and Six Foot are relatively speaking "organised by the running community". I like the idea that people who compete in races put back in and help organise rather than just schlep some schekels to a big commercial outfit.

I think Ewen posted this previously about Canberra:
http://www.canberrar...p...wNews&id=93

Dave Cundy has a response here:
http://www.canberram....php?pageid=118

and it even made the paper here:
http://www.canberrat...te/1558895.aspx

#13 Bull

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

I must say that I was a little disappointed this year at the hard & fast application of the rules attitude of the current race organisers. I wanted to send off my entry application the day after early entries closed. I had been struggling with a shin tendonitis injury and wanted to test it racing over 30 km's on the Sunday 4 weeks out from the Canberra Marathon race. I was quite happy to pay the late entry fee, but the organisers would not make any effort to allow my entry for the Australian Masters Marathon registration to go through. That alone was nearly enough for me not to bother entering. It's not like we're talking about the Boston Marathon either with tens of thousands of entries here. Some times it's the little things that matter.

I can't help but get the impression that the Canberra Marathon is just a business for profit, rather than an event for runners. Just read the refunds policy and you'll possibly agree. I do admit though that it's well organised & Canberra is a lovely place to run a marathon in April.

In comparison, this year I had planned to run a marathon in New Plymouth NZ but injury didn't allow. I emailed the organiser out of courtesy. I wasn't expecting a refund but they offered anyway. I simply asked them to donate it to the race charity which they did. Again it's the little things.

I hate to be critical of anything or anyone, but have wanted to get this off my chest for a while now. Not a big deal, just an observation. I still plan to return in 2010.

Bull

#14 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

I do not want to get invloved in the specifics of the argument as I know nothing of the background to each side.

However on a more general note there is usually two versions with each often promoting only those facts thatsupport thier conclusion. The reality is that both versions need to be fully laid out and tested before a decision can be made. Also quite oft en the real reasons for the arguments are not expressed just those that the parties wish to assert are the issues in dispute when in reality another issue is really the point of the disagreement.

Lawyers will usually only assist in obtaining an outcome and that does not necessarlity mean that the problem is solved just determined.

Edited by Eagle, 07 July 2009 - 03:04 PM.

#15 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

Well said Eagle.

In the background there appears to be quite a bit of 'lobbying' for support from one side in particular.

[Cynic in me says]...If the issue was a clear cut legal ownership then that would be unnecessary...whereas if it was more a case of 'ownership by virtue of possession' then it helps to have other stakeholders supporting you.

We'll see what pans out, but either way not a good thing for road running in Australia...hopefully there is an amicable resolution.

And wrt to what Bull said...Canberra may have been in past a 'runners event by runners'...but that is no longer the case given some of the stringent 'commercial marathon type' rulings that have been enforced.

cheers

Edited by Colin, 07 July 2009 - 02:08 PM.

#16 Vurt

1.21 Jiggawatts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

View PostColin, on Jul 7 2009, 02:07 PM, said:

And wrt to what Bull said...Canberra may have been in past a 'runners event by runners'...but that is no longer the case given some of the stringent 'commercial marathon type' rulings that have been enforced.

cheers

I think it is pretty obvious by their website there is more focus the business side of the event than the running community. An example is their "refund policy" http://www.canberram....php?pageid=139

Very different to other races refund policies, i.e. Six Foot

#17 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

View PostColin, on Jul 6 2009, 10:07 PM, said:

cheers

Colin, I ran the GC half on the weekend and I must say that I was very impressed with their commercial rulings, as a result of another runners inability to run in the marathon, he was able to transfer his entry to me and I was able to downgrade to the half. It is these small things that help to make a marathon event great.

I am happy to recommend the GC marathon and the associated events to anyone based on my dealings with them.

Having said that I am sure that there are a couple of things that they can improve on.

#18 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:33 AM

View PostHillsAths1, on Jul 7 2009, 05:26 PM, said:

Colin, I ran the GC half on the weekend and I must say that I was very impressed with their commercial rulings, as a result of another runners inability to run in the marathon, he was able to transfer his entry to me and I was able to downgrade to the half. It is these small things that help to make a marathon event great. .

Perhaps you misunderstood me...

I said 'stringent' commercial marathon "type" rulings (see Vurt's post)...I didn't say all 'commercial marathons' did that.

cheers

#19 1409th

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

Is it incredibly selfish of me to only hope that whatever happens - the entry fee doesn't go up dramatically and the essense of what is a fabulous day on the marathon circuit remains?

I guess the Cundy's and the other crowd are essentially fighting over who gets the bucks from the event?  I am not sure why that would overly affect anyone other than the warring factions subject to the entry fee remaining reasonable and event remaining intact?

Imagine for a moment that the AATTCCCAATTA got hold of the event and short measured the course or forgot to have baggage storage! Oh how Coolrunning would light up with glowing memories of the "Cundy years" and vitreous condemnation of the ACTTATAATTA.

Note I am not sure that "vitreous" is actually the word I am after but it's something like that. That's probably by-the-by though and shouldn't affect the outcome of deciding whether the Cundy's keep the race...

Whatever happens I reckon I will be "schlepping some schekels" with reckless abandonment come Feb / March next year!

For what it's worth I reckon the Cundy's will keep it (on the devil you know basis ) and will put my fiver with Sportsbet later tonight.

#20 wobbly man

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:00 PM

Any more updates on the stoush?  Is it still heading to court?

#21 deadcat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

well, from what i last read on the various websites, BOTH parties are planning to hold next years marathon.. CSM is probably well on the way to organizing "their" canberra marathon, and the ACTCCC is advertizing for people with knowledge and skills in various event managaement areas.. are we going to see 2 competing canaberra marathons?
If CSM want to hold a marathon i'd suggest the ACTCCC would be hard pressed to stop them.. they may have rights to the name though.. anyone for the "canberra city marathon"? or perhaps the "canberra classic"?
If the ACTCCC want to hold a marathon, more power to them!  That'd be great.. as long as they don't try and compete by holding it  around the same time..

#22 ratdog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

View Postdeadcat, on Aug 30 2009, 09:15 AM, said:

well, from what i last read on the various websites, BOTH parties are planning to hold next years marathon.. CSM is probably well on the way to organizing "their" canberra marathon, and the ACTCCC is advertizing for people with knowledge and skills in various event managaement areas.. are we going to see 2 competing canaberra marathons?
If CSM want to hold a marathon i'd suggest the ACTCCC would be hard pressed to stop them.. they may have rights to the name though.. anyone for the "canberra city marathon"? or perhaps the "canberra classic"?
If the ACTCCC want to hold a marathon, more power to them!  That'd be great.. as long as they don't try and compete by holding it  around the same time..

I say they should hold them 6 months apart.  Giving everyone the oppertunity to do one or both.  Sounds like a win/win for everyone.

#23 blkbox

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

I hope they sort this out quickly - I have Canberra as a goal race for next year

#24 sfGnome

Why not?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

View Postblkbox, on Aug 30 2009, 11:04 AM, said:

I hope they sort this out quickly - I have Canberra as a goal race for next year
Look on the bright side. Now you have two goal races for next year...  :rolleyes:

#25 blkbox

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:35 PM

View PostsfGnome, on Aug 30 2009, 05:44 PM, said:

Look on the bright side. Now you have two goal races for next year...  :rolleyes:

Good thinking "99"

If there are two races, it will be interesting to see if they use the same course.

#26 flyingemu

it's Sir emu to you...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

View Postblkbox, on Aug 30 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

Good thinking "99"

If there are two races, it will be interesting to see if they use the same course.

I like the idea... 6 months apart, same course, but one in reverse!

#27 blkbox

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

View Postflyingemu, on Aug 30 2009, 07:40 PM, said:

I like the idea... 6 months apart, same course, but one in reverse!

Sounds like fun, as long as you don't have to run in reverse - I have enough trouble running forwards.

#28 Rico

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

Same day back to back.

#29 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

http://www.abc.net.a.../02/2673889.htm

http://www.canberram....php?pageid=118

What makes Canberra Marathon good is that its the right time of year and everyone is up for it, I can't see it working with 2 marathons.

#30 seris

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:54 AM

View PostJoggerK, on Sep 3 2009, 07:16 AM, said:

What makes Canberra Marathon good is that its the right time of year and everyone is up for it, I can't see it working with 2 marathons.
I can  :rolleyes:

#31 brewer

will get it right one day...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

One before and the other after lunch?  :rolleyes:

#32 seris

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

View Postbrewer, on Sep 3 2009, 08:35 AM, said:

One before and the other after lunch?  ;)
Don't be silly. I was thinking one Saturday and one on Sunday. :rolleyes:

#33 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

Back to seriousness...there is no room in the calendar for another big marathon (i.e. where we are going to get big numbers other than those keen on a 42.2km training run every week).

As it is the Cities Marathon is looking to move away from the congested timeslot it is in.

#34 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

Perth found 800+ Marathoners last week-end and 1,600+ half runners, and both Melbourne and Gold Coast are on an upward trend.(I haven't checked the Sydney numbers.)

#35 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:16 AM

Digger...I wasn't saying they won't get the numbers at one Canberra marathon...in fact, Canberra had the biggest field since 1984 when used as trials I believe.

I was saying there wasn't much room for another big race, considering that others such as Cities are finding a squeeze where they are slotted in at present.

cheers

#36 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:21 AM

It would of been interesting how a dispute that occurred in the last marathon would of been handled by an athletic club compared to what took place by the management organisation.

Transparency in the decision making would of gone a long in this publicity war, now being played in the courts, the media and on coolrunning.

#37 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:27 AM

View PostColin, on Sep 2 2009, 06:16 PM, said:

I was saying there wasn't much room for another big race, considering that others such as Cities are finding a squeeze where they are slotted in at present.

cheers

That's because they all want to run in a tight 6 weeks window, rather than sit down together and work out a rational marathon Calendar.

#38 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:05 AM

View PostDigger, on Sep 3 2009, 09:27 AM, said:

That's because they all want to run in a tight 6 weeks window...

Bit of a slight side track but...

..."they all" probably refers to Hunter Valley, Bush Capital and Cities coming within 4wks of GCM....but Cities has tradionally always been on the last Sunday in July. With Hunter and Bush Capital clashing now, there is no room to move Cities later into season (too close to Sydney...then  into heart of summer) and moving it earlier will mean late May (oh...SMH) etc.

...as I said, not a lot of room to move...so where are you going to find place for another Canberra Marathon, which was my point...nothing to do with irrelevant numbers of entrants you posted.

View PostDigger, on Sep 3 2009, 09:27 AM, said:

... rather than sit down together and work out a rational marathon Calendar.

Oh...who's been harping on, and shouted down, about having a national road running body comprising of state bodies with affiliated clubs, the whole lot being semi autonomous from AA.

Neither AA (who call it recreational running), nor state bodies, nor most clubs or most runners want an affiliation...so maybe AA is right they are recreational runners who just at their whim want to run ad hoc as they please in any colours, without recognition that collaboration could bring better organisation and cheaper races.

So who are you thinking has to "sit down and work out (this) rational marathon calendar"?

Actually this is on topic..because it is the main reason you now have a fight over a major marathon.

cheers

#39 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

View PostColin, on Sep 3 2009, 10:05 AM, said:

....but Cities has tradionally always been on the last Sunday in July.

Are you sure, Colin?

I seem to remember it being "traditionally" held in mid to late August for most of its twenty odd years.

Back on topic, (slightly), perhaps the staging of a second Canberra Marathon could see the resurrection of the old National Capital Do It Yourself Nocturnal Marathon, (yes, that was the event's real name), held from 1979 to the late '80s.

Staged by eccentric race director Brian Lenton on the Saturday night closest to the December full moon, the event kicked off at 9pm outside the High Court. The course was a one mile stretch along the bike path beside the lake, out and back, completed 13 times, then followed with a final 385 yards.

Brian offered only an official time over an accurate, certified, traffic-free course, and shunned the usual expectations of a race director to provide drinks, aid stations, toilets, finishers' medals or certificates, results, marshals, race numbers, t shirts, entry form or entry fee. Having recieved a finishing time, you could honestly say you were given way more than what you paid for.

Indeed, the course didn't even have much in the way of lighting, and fast times were largely dependent on a lack of cloud cover.

Still, the event managed to occasionally attract stellar runners, (including, from memory, Rob de Castella) all of whom would withdraw, usually after 2 miles. With DNF rates sometimes over 90%, the list of non-finishers was rather more impressive and illustrious than those who completed the race. Not that you were ever provided with such a list.

Edited by Paul Every, 03 September 2009 - 11:44 AM.

#40 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

View PostPaul Every, on Sep 3 2009, 11:38 AM, said:

Are you sure, Colin?

I seem to remember it being "traditionally" held in mid to late August for most of its twenty odd years.

Thanks Paul...I stand corrected, given my limited time is Sydney (the last couple of races on old course was definitely last Sunday of July)...but it doesn't change the fact that there is now little room for Cities to move into.....or room for a second 'big' Canberra marathon...barring full moon night loop races in the heart of summer

#41 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

Colin, I believe Paul may be on to something, as the M7 has lighting all of the way along the bike track(Course) the race could be held late at night. and a time of the year that would be generally too warm for holding a marathon in daytime. How about a marathon on the 1st January, Midnight start? Might mean that some runners may have to forego their usual merryment at that time of the year.

#42 deadcat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

maybe it depends on how they are going to treat CSM.. they may WANT to go head to head time-wise, though I doubt it.  The calender is crowded but they may just have to pick their date and damn the consequences of clashing with bigger, more established races.  They can start low key.. there will always be local runners ready to have a crack.  I'd rather run two local marathons than one local and one interstate, provided the course was right..

#43 Bandanna

runs on Tooheys New and Heinz baked beans

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

View PostHillsAths1, on Sep 3 2009, 12:20 PM, said:

How about a marathon on the 1st January, Midnight start? Might mean that some runners may have to forego their usual merryment at that time of the year.

And then carry on and do the Black Stump run  :rolleyes:

I for one think that the April weekend is perfect, with the Saturday afternoon 5/10km and then Sunday the marathon.  And like Colin said, the calendar is congested enough. Seems more a case of bickering between two parties.  

Who owns the right to the Griffin Club?

#44 Supersam1979

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

View PostHillsAths1, on Sep 3 2009, 12:20 PM, said:

Colin, I believe Paul may be on to something, as the M7 has lighting all of the way along the bike track(Course) the race could be held late at night. and a time of the year that would be generally too warm for holding a marathon in daytime. How about a marathon on the 1st January, Midnight start? Might mean that some runners may have to forego their usual merryment at that time of the year.

This is very interesting. I had exactly the same thoughts and actually did this by myself last year. I did one marathon distance on December 31 and one marathon distance on January 1. The Jan 1 run I set out early and beat alot of the heat. Funny also to see the bodies dragging in off the streets. I am up for this again this year if anyone else is?

#45 Rico

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

Run them simultaneously over the same course?

#46 Supersam1979

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

No mate it was two different courses, but I made sure that I took in interesting areas of sydney and surrounds.

#47 Action

Run away, run away, run away....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

View PostPaul Every, on Sep 3 2009, 11:38 AM, said:

Back on topic, (slightly), perhaps the staging of a second Canberra Marathon could see the resurrection of the old National Capital Do It Yourself Nocturnal Marathon, (yes, that was the event's real name), held from 1979 to the late '80s.

Staged by eccentric race director Brian Lenton on the Saturday night closest to the December full moon, the event kicked off at 9pm outside the High Court. The course was a one mile stretch along the bike path beside the lake, out and back, completed 13 times, then followed with a final 385 yards.

Brian offered only an official time over an accurate, certified, traffic-free course, and shunned the usual expectations of a race director to provide drinks, aid stations, toilets, finishers' medals or certificates, results, marshals, race numbers, t shirts, entry form or entry fee. Having recieved a finishing time, you could honestly say you were given way more than what you paid for.

Indeed, the course didn't even have much in the way of lighting, and fast times were largely dependent on a lack of cloud cover.

Still, the event managed to occasionally attract stellar runners, (including, from memory, Rob de Castella) all of whom would withdraw, usually after 2 miles. With DNF rates sometimes over 90%, the list of non-finishers was rather more impressive and illustrious than those who completed the race. Not that you were ever provided with such a list.
I ran that and was one of the few finishers - a 90% DNF rate was seen as a huge success, it was usually much more.  Your recollections on starters and support are spot on.  Those 25 U-turns took their toll.  Always hot and humid.  A really stupid thing to do mid summer!  It was great.

#48 Tuttle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

View PostHillsAths1, on Sep 3 2009, 03:20 AM, said:

A midnight marathon was held on the Gold Coast, for a few years - on NY Eve.  It wasn't the most exciting course, and certainly not a pb event, but it was lots of fun.  

We certainly elicited some curious looks from those engaging in more traditional NY Eve activities. . . .

#49 Jimboy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:13 PM

I have not raced Canberra for many years,but have fond memories of the race and of the work put in by Dave Cundy and others to make the race popular in those early years.It did not surprise me that Dave,a very professional organiser in my experience of him,should pick up the major role in race promotion when the need arose.One has to agree that the race is now a very successful
weekend of running,covered fully in the legal and practical sense required these days.
If Dave and his company made a few quid out of it well good on them.It would have to be a massive profit to pay for the work Dave has put in to this race and the sport of distance running over many decades.
One would have thought some compromise such as a 5-10 year extension of the previous "agreement" could have satisfied all parties.What a pity.
Let us hope that the lawyers are not the only winners out of all this.
Jim Beisty

Edited by Jimboy, 05 September 2009 - 05:14 PM.

#50 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:53 PM

This is becoming a great read. I have just read Dave Cundy's response re the "Ownership"of the race.

My reading of his comments would lead you to believe that the race would have ceased to exist without his determination etc.

While he shows that the event was his from 2002, he is quite keen to continue with the history of the event(see Griffins).

I am sure there may be some issue about one person taking hold of the event and building it up to be a successful event and then being told, thanks for that but we want it back.(Would they have asked for it back if the event was losing money?)

Either way I hope it gets resolved soon.