• You cannot reply to this topic
451 replies to this topic

#1 bobbys

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

My apologies if this topic already exists but whilst feeling sorry for myself this morning due to my ITBS (see ITBS Suport Group thread), I was thinking about the strangest things I've seen whilst running.

The 2 that standout are as follows:

1) 2 Wednesday mornings ago, I saw a meteorite in the sky at about 5.30am (no - not on medication - rang Sydney Observatory to confirm). Initially I thought it was a flare but it was horizontal rather than vertical and had a purple and White colour. I'm told it was probably the size of a grain of sand and it lasted about 2 sec. Just happened to look at the right place at the right time.

2) a groom left stranded by his mates after a bucks night - drunk in a park in an area far away from where he lived (didn't know where he was).

ANyway - enough from me - has anybody else encountered anything strange????

(the lap dancing girl at the SMH half this year doesn't count - afterall - it is Sydney).

Bobby S

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 virtualkerri

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

A dog being 'walked' on his back.

Not exactly while running, but it was out in a park after BFs soccer game and definitely qualifies a pretty strange to me. Woman walking along with lead stretched out behind her - little dog was on his back being dragged along on the grass. Woman says 'don't worry he just likes a back scratch'. Dog hopped up and jogged a few metres, then sure enough he rolls over again and it was pretty clear the dog was quite happy!

(Dog was on body-halter lead, not collar!)

#3 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

I was running home last night - heard a awful sound of car tires screeching and looked up to see a black dog flying across the tarmac. Ran up and went to get the guys number plate who hit the dog in case he just drove off. Hang on, that number plate is familiar - its my mate!! Poor guy just hit a dog (not his fault) and I happened to be running past.

#4 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

I thought you were going to say Ourimbah's little "lets have a dummy spit and throw my pack in the bush".

Nah, that wasn't strangest, it was funniest ....

Just dead and nude bodies for me, all completely normal.

#5 crowpower

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

A ribbon hanging down from a car door with keys attached to said ribbon in lock, parked outside a house early on a Sunday morning. Car just waiting to be stolen. What do I do?

Do I?

1) Ignore it

2) Take the keys and run

3) Wake up the householder

4) Tell the police

5)  Steal the car

I knew option 1 would just leave me with a guilty conscience. Option 2 would be just plain naughty and option 3 seemed unfair. I had no means for option 4 (I mean - who carries a mobile phone while running? - well not me anyway) and the police would just laugh. There was no point doing option 5 as I wanted to finish my run. :D

In the end I took the keys out and just dropped them over the (solid) front gate onto the driveway where they wouldn't be seen from the road and ran away thinking of the puzzled reaction of the householders later in the day!  :D

#6 Rock Doctor

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

Running down through the Lane Cove national park this morning on my way to work, there were 2 guys walking in the other direction wearing what very much appeared to be bullet proof vests. They didnt look like police and didnt appear to be wearing uniforms.

A bit further along there was a National Parks guy walking also wearing what I assumed to be a bullet proof vest. I run through the twice a week on my way to work and once on the bike. I am no longer concerned about drop bears, but now my greatest fear is Ranger Danger

Edited by Rock Doctor, 13 July 2010 - 01:06 PM.

#7 batavia

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

Last Friday, speed repís after dark, met a large snake scurrying down the road in front of me.  Donít know which of us had the biggest adrenalin hit!

#8 Phanta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

Few weeks back - running along a suburban street about 9pm. Wasn't brilliantly lit - came up on a cat having a snooze on the footpath.

Cat didn't have a clue i was there until a few steps away, then freaked and bolted out onto the road. A car locked up all its brakes and the cat managed to somehow stop and do a u-turn - surprised it didn't leave a noseprint on the alloy wheel!!!

The car driver and I were just staring at each other and couldn't believe the cat didn't get cleaned up - I spent the next hour of my run wondering how I would have doorknocked the neighbourhood to tell some poor kid I'd scared their cat into getting run over!

#9 MrUniqueName

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

View PostPhanta, on Jul 13 2010, 02:57 PM, said:

Few weeks back - running along a suburban street about 9pm. Wasn't brilliantly lit - came up on a cat having a snooze on the footpath.

Cat didn't have a clue i was there until a few steps away, then freaked and bolted out onto the road. A car locked up all its brakes and the cat managed to somehow stop and do a u-turn - surprised it didn't leave a noseprint on the alloy wheel!!!

I wasn't so lucky. A few months ago I was running home along my street when I passed this small (but fairly old) dog. We looked at each other in mutual acknowledgement then I kept running. A few seconds later, I heard a screech of brakes and when I turned around, I saw that the dog  had run onto the road and was now under the tyre of a large truck. To make matters worse, the dog's owner then run out from her house and saw her dog under the truck and proceeded to cry hysterically.

It was a pretty sad situation all round.

I'm just glad that the dog hadn't run onto the road because I'd scared it, that would've just been horrible.

Dave.

#10 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

dave,
there are some stories that should remain untold
bro

#11 LukeF

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

Anyone else in St Kilda East seen an old bloke trying to climb trees backwards (i.e. head-down & feet-up) in Alma Park? Haven't seen him for a while, but used to see him regularly when I ran through there. He also used to practice no-hands head stands a lot :diablo:

#12 MrUniqueName

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

View Postundercover brother, on Jul 13 2010, 05:52 PM, said:

dave,
there are some stories that should remain untold
bro

Bro, you're probably right, but I just couldn't help myself after reading about the cat.  

On a lighter note, I saw a lady running one morning not too long ago in a pair of jeans. Unless 2XU have just brought out a new denim range, I couldn't imagine anything worse!

Cheers,

Dave.

#13 photogirl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

View PostRock Doctor, on Jul 13 2010, 10:06 AM, said:

Running down through the Lane Cove national park this morning on my way to work, there were 2 guys walking in the other direction wearing what very much appeared to be bullet proof vests. They didnt look like police and didnt appear to be wearing uniforms.

A bit further along there was a National Parks guy walking also wearing what I assumed to be a bullet proof vest. I run through the twice a week on my way to work and once on the bike. I am no longer concerned about drop bears, but now my greatest fear is Ranger Danger

Could have been plain clothes cops - does make me wonder what was going on.

#14 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

View PostMrUniqueName, on Jul 13 2010, 07:00 PM, said:

Bro, you're probably right, but I just couldn't help myself after reading about the cat.
oh no now i have to read about the cat :diablo:
via relay from my other halfs workmate: they were hiking up at mt nebo in brisbane forest park and saw a nude cyclist.
i guess for people who know mt nebo its really not that strange though.

#15 mgi11a

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

Cruising along the side of the road one afternoon recently I came across 2 good quality AA rechargable batteries, wondering what they came out off had me curious. It only took me another 1/2 dozen steps and my question was answered. There glistening in the sun was a highly polished chrome vibrating type object with pink hearts on it.
Still can't imagine how it got there. hehehehe

Cheers

mgilla

#16 LukeF

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

View Postmgi11a, on Jul 13 2010, 08:21 PM, said:

Cruising along the side of the road one afternoon recently I came across 2 good quality AA rechargable batteries, wondering what they came out off had me curious. It only took me another 1/2 dozen steps and my question was answered. There glistening in the sun was a highly polished chrome vibrating type object with pink hearts on it.

Cheers

mgilla

Who knows why it was abandoned, but at least they were thinking of the environment and using rechargeables :diablo:

#17 MrUniqueName

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

View Postmgi11a, on Jul 13 2010, 08:21 PM, said:

Wasn't out running but a while back, a mate and I were coming down Mt Tibrogargan and decided to go off the usual route to explore a bit. Came across an area which was very secluded and there in the middle was a pair of panties. As much as I'd rather not, I CAN imagine how they got there!  :diablo:

#18 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

what were you and your mate doing there? :diablo:

Edited by undercover brother, 14 July 2010 - 12:24 PM.

#19 MrUniqueName

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

View Postundercover brother, on Jul 14 2010, 12:23 PM, said:

what were you and your mate doing there? :yahoo:

Looking for the pair of panties I'd left behind last time hahahah

:diablo:

#20 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

touche! :diablo:

#21 Hoski

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

Great topic and some super tales.
I'm sure other runners who competed in this year's Docklands Dash will verify this but at the drink station at the turnaround point on the docks, there were two very lovely lingerie models being photographed in the evening sun. Seemed to be a professional shoot of some kind. Dunno if the photographer used any of us in the background. :D  
And yes, I did stop for a drink!

#22 Scarlett

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

View PostLukeF, on Jul 13 2010, 06:23 PM, said:

Anyone else in St Kilda East seen an old bloke trying to climb trees backwards (i.e. head-down & feet-up) in Alma Park? Haven't seen him for a while, but used to see him regularly when I ran through there. He also used to practice no-hands head stands a lot :D

I haven't seen him, but a couple of years ago they found a body down at St Kilda beach one morning. It was the same morning I would usually head out for my regular long run along the beach, and exactly around the same time, 6am or so, and just that morning I'd decided not to go out and delay it a day. Thinking I could have been the one who found the body on the beach is a little unnerving.

#23 Peterhorse

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:06 PM

Found a recently deceased this year on my birthday of all things... It was my first run on a few months at the time and since i was the one who first encountered the poor chap, and it was only 3k into my run, i had to wait a good 30mins for the police to turn up and then give statements etc.

I know it sounds terrible but instinsctively i pressed the pause on my watch.... not the first time i've done that for such an event (saw a guy on a bike get hit by a car at 60k and again first on the scene, later realised i'd paused my watch... wtf?)

Actually these things aren't the strangest thing at all... pretty normal really...

#24 TynoMite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

Sure, no dead guy or cops, but I thought it was odd that I saw a dunny brush on the side of the road this morning.

#25 jasegroom

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

View PostPeterhorse, on Aug 15 2010, 08:06 PM, said:

I know it sounds terrible but instinsctively i pressed the pause on my watch.... not the first time i've done that for such an event (saw a guy on a bike get hit by a car at 60k and again first on the scene, later realised i'd paused my watch... wtf?)
Hey, these things are just ingrained once you're used to doing them. The one time I've been involved in a car crash as a driver I realised after I'd got out to inspect the damage that the car I had been driving (a manual) was still ticking over - I'd obviously engaged the clutch and popped it into neutral at some point during all the fun. Probably not the best instinct in this case - you don't really want an engine still firing when there could be petrol spilling out somewhere.

#26 FakePlasticTrees

Orange Juice is for losers

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

Probably time to provide this link again. A 2007 article courtesy of The Onion.

#27 pullmyfinger

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

Iíve worked out that if I keep running I will probably not have to visit Bunnings again. Iíve just started this list so I will probably think of some more. What have you found?

Things Iíve found on the road:
Octopus straps (approx 30)
Ropes
Tent
Menís clothes
Womenís clothes
Childrenís clothes
Hats/caps
Spanners
Adjustable spanners
Screw drivers
Sockets
Circular Saw
Hand Saw
Range of other tools
Ground Sheets
Cushions Ė tie on ones for flat chairs (3 approx 50m apart)
Money Ė Probably a couple of hundred bucks over the years
Street/workmanís signs
Bikes
Car parts
Torch
Bike lights
Toilet Bag Ė complete with aftershave & various other things
Fishing equipment
Boogie Boards
Golf Balls
Range of Sporting Balls
Melways
Jumper Leads
More to add:
Bags of concrete
Lots of bits of really useful wood
Many L and P plates (enough to supply all the nieces and nephews)
Safety vests
Wallet with cards but no money - dropped it into police station on my next run
Abondoned and burnt cars (a few) - around Police Paddocks/Churchill NP (Vic) is a popular dumping spot
Books
Magazines (some not appropriate to take home)
Pliers
Knives
Saw a sex toy once - didn't want to take it home
Sun Glasses - Probably into double figures now - have also lost a few as well
Thongs - have seen many but they are never in pairs
Toys - including a plastic gun that was popular
CD's - picked up a good one of "The Commitments" soundtrack just the other day
Bouys - as in the boating kind (not strictly on the road but in some places in Australia the beaches are registered roads)
Silver Reflective protective thingos for your car windscreen and steering wheel
Number plates
Several times have seen 2 cars with people only in 1 (sometimes moving and I don't mean forwards or backwards) - Jells Pk is a pop spot
Young lovers doing their thing beside the bike track in Coomber Park
Table tennis bat
Electrical Tape
Knickers (tend to leave these alone too)
Phone books
Needles

#28 Gone2thepack

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

Books
Washing machine
Dryer (2 days later)
Condoms  Used and unused (wife found packet tonight when running)
Dog lead
Cans of Beer
Cow
Hub Caps
Some sensational legs :D

#29 brewer

will get it right one day...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

View Postpullmyfinger, on Aug 16 2010, 07:35 PM, said:

Keep pickin' up the singles and you'll have a pair before you know it!  :D

#30 ninjette

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:09 PM

:D  Ran along a stretch of road recently that gets very few runners because you have to take your life into your own hands to run it: 80km/hr speed limit through bush surroundings, with very narrow verges (close to non-existent at a couple of bridges) and a number of blind bends. You don't even get that many cyclists on this stretch of road, even fewer runners and no casual pedestrians. Consequently it was virgin territory for L and P plates. I picked up 10 magnetic ones in near-immaculate condition on my one and only run (15km) along here: gave them to my son and his friends.

#31 funky1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

Did a fun run through Melbourne about 1-2 years ago and on the first lap there was a fully naked guy bailed up against a building and on the next lap around, the cops were there escorting him away. (Sorry can't remember which one, but may have been the Nike Great Human Race in 2008. The one where everyone ran in those cheap and nasty red t-shirts).

#32 Hoski

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

Iíve worked out that if I keep running I will probably not have to visit Bunnings again. Iíve just started this list so I will probably think of some more. What have you found?

Things Iíve found on the road:
Octopus straps (approx 30)
Ropes
Tent
Menís clothes
Womenís clothes
Childrenís clothes
Hats/caps
Spanners
Adjustable spanners
Screw drivers
Sockets
Circular Saw
Hand Saw
Range of other tools
Ground Sheets
Cushions Ė tie on ones for flat chairs (3 approx 50m apart)
Money Ė Probably a couple of hundred bucks over the years
Street/workmanís signs
Bikes
Car parts
Torch
Bike lights
Toilet Bag Ė complete with aftershave & various other things
Fishing equipment
Boogie Boards
Golf Balls
Range of Sporting Balls
Melways
Jumper Leads
More to add:
Bags of concrete
Lots of bits of really useful wood
Safety vests
Wallet with cards but no money - dropped it into police station on my next run
Abondoned and burnt cars (a few) - around Police Paddocks/Churchill NP (Vic) is a popular dumping spot
Books
Magazines (some not appropriate to take home)
Pliers
Knives
Saw a sex toy once - didn't want to take it home
Sun Glasses - Probably into double figures now - have also lost a few as well
Toys - including a plastic gun that was popular
CD's - picked up a good one of "The Commitments" soundtrack just the other day
Bouys - as in the boating kind (not strictly on the road but in some places in Australia the beaches are registered roads)
Silver Reflective protective thingos for your car windscreen and steering wheel
Number plates
Several times have seen 2 cars with people only in 1 (sometimes moving and I don't mean forwards or backwards) - Jells Pk is a pop spot
Young lovers doing their thing beside the bike track in Coomber Park
Table tennis bat
Electrical Tape
Knickers (tend to leave these alone too)
Phone books
Needles

Wow, pullmyfinger, that's some collection. When's the garage sale? :D
Everything but the kitchen sink. Maybe you'll find that next week!

#33 Pasty

CoolRunner Admin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

Running along the pitch black Warby Trail late on a Friday night (about 1am in the morning) in the pouring rain.  We were training for Trailwalker and getting used to the solitude of running at night.   The 3 of us were pretty miserable, and just wanted to finish the long training run, get warm and dry and then eat.   Conversation stopped a long time ago.

Walking down the trail, hand in hand, were 2 very cool teenagers.  She had pink fuzzy boots you find at nightclubs, flouro clothing, and he was more punk than goth looking.  We didn't see them until about 5m away (all of us were totally zoned out, it was pitch black, raining and foggy).  They didn't see us until about 3m out.

We both looked at each other and thought "what the hell are THEY doing out here?".

We ran another 100m and then burst out laughing about it.  Suddenly the rain didn't matter.  Certainly a very cool experience.

#34 chilliman

Hot eater, Cool Trail Runner.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

View Postpastyboy, on Aug 18 2010, 10:59 AM, said:

We both looked at each other and thought "what the hell are THEY doing out here?".
You need to hang out at Warby more pasty. :D

#35 Davo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

View Postpastyboy, on Aug 18 2010, 12:59 AM, said:

Running along the pitch black Warby Trail late on a Friday night (about 1am in the morning) in the pouring rain.  We were training for Trailwalker and getting used to the solitude of running at night.   The 3 of us were pretty miserable, and just wanted to finish the long training run, get warm and dry and then eat.   Conversation stopped a long time ago.

Walking down the trail, hand in hand, were 2 very cool teenagers.  She had pink fuzzy boots you find at nightclubs, flouro clothing, and he was more punk than goth looking.  We didn't see them until about 5m away (all of us were totally zoned out, it was pitch black, raining and foggy).  They didn't see us until about 3m out.

We ran another 100m and then burst out laughing about it.  Suddenly the rain didn't matter.  Certainly a very cool experience.

I think I can guess what they were doing out there. A bit of rain doesn't stop the course of true lust.

#36 bigbaz

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

View Postninjette, on Aug 16 2010, 09:09 PM, said:

:D  Ran along a stretch of road recently that gets very few runners because you have to take your life into your own hands to run it: 80km/hr speed limit through bush surroundings, with very narrow verges (close to non-existent at a couple of bridges) and a number of blind bends. You don't even get that many cyclists on this stretch of road, even fewer runners and no casual pedestrians. Consequently it was virgin territory for L and P plates. I picked up 10 magnetic ones in near-immaculate condition on my one and only run (15km) along here: gave them to my son and his friends.

Keep off my road, there are very few roads that meet that description in sydney, and i am willing to put money that you are running on wakehurst parkway.

Whilst i was running along there the other day, i saw a squashed ladder and then about 10m up a squashed hardhat, thought it could of been from some sort of tragic accident.

#37 maryclaire

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

View PostFakePlasticTrees, on Aug 16 2010, 04:48 PM, said:

Probably time to provide this link again. A 2007 article courtesy of The Onion.

I'm left speechless.  

"We joggers have lives outside of finding violent-crime victims," said jogger Elizabeth Riccardi, who recently stumbled upon the remains of a double-pickax homicide  while jogging around the Bartlett Reservoir near Scottsdale. "We're willing to cooperate with law enforcement, but we don't all have the time to be consoled with a blanket and a cup of coffee while some cop asks us the same tedious questions."

"I just want a good cardiovascular workout," Montgomery added. "I never asked for this, not during an intense incline push or even a slow cooldown."

I bet the dead guy didn't ask to get murdered, either.

#38 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

View Postmaryclaire, on Aug 18 2010, 03:35 PM, said:

I'm left speechless.  

"We joggers have lives outside of finding violent-crime victims," said jogger Elizabeth Riccardi, who recently stumbled upon the remains of a double-pickax homicide  while jogging around the Bartlett Reservoir near Scottsdale. "We're willing to cooperate with law enforcement, but we don't all have the time to be consoled with a blanket and a cup of coffee while some cop asks us the same tedious questions."

"I just want a good cardiovascular workout," Montgomery added. "I never asked for this, not during an intense incline push or even a slow cooldown."

I bet the dead guy didn't ask to get murdered, either.

I think there may be a small element of satire in the article

#39 ninjette

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

View Postbigbaz, on Aug 18 2010, 02:48 PM, said:

Keep off my road, there are very few roads that meet that description in sydney, and i am willing to put money that you are running on wakehurst parkway.

:D Too true! Well, I always wanted to run it, did it once, but don't think I'll do it again unless I am feeling tired of life! Sorry if I took your L/P plates. I left the porn and the roadkill though....

#40 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

View Postmaryclaire, on Aug 18 2010, 03:35 PM, said:

I'm left speechless.

View PostSlowManiac, on Aug 18 2010, 04:28 PM, said:

I think there may be a small element of satire in the article...

Slightly. :D Another classic Onion running article for you to read MC. And another.

#41 aDrain

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

Anyone seen the ghost of Wakehurst Parkway?  :D

#42 ninjette

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

At the risk of rendering your secret private road even less so, I've often thought that the Wakehurst Parkway would make a perfect half marathon course. You'd close it completely to traffic; the course could start at North Narrabeen, you'd run up to Warringah Rd, then back down again. So two consistent inclines on the way up to the turnaround, then a faster downhill second half. There are minimal side-streets that would need to be closed, and a perfect alternative route for traffic in Pittwater Rd. And for competitors a lovely road run through bushland settings.

Don't know anything about the ghost... :D Is there a story there?

#43 Kato

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:48 PM

I saw a dingo this evening.  Not that dingoes are strange, just out of the ordinary.  It slid off when it saw my blinking collared dog and my jiggawatt headlamp.

#44 aDrain

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

View Postninjette, on Aug 18 2010, 09:50 PM, said:

Don't know anything about the ghost... :D Is there a story there?

For many (many) years there have been stories of a ghost on Wakehurst Parkway. Typically car/bike/horse & cart would be zipping along and see someone lying on the side of road, who then wouldn't be there.

My cousin claims to have seen it ....

#45 StillGettinThere

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:24 PM

Somebody's freezer must have shat itself so they dumped it and its contents out in the bush.

Smelt it loooong before I saw it.

Cheers
keith

#46 BlueBel

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

An early morning training run at local park,i saw this animal about the size of a medium dog but it had a VERY bushy tail it started to chase me and i bolted. This animal was staking it's territory.I think it might of been a fox.
Apart from this i have seen a shark, elephant and weird people but these things were seen during ultramarathons, and were hallucinations so i dont think they count do they.?

#47 StillGettinThere

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:06 AM

View PostBlueBel, on Aug 25 2010, 09:21 PM, said:

An early morning training run at local park,i saw this animal about the size of a medium dog but it had a VERY bushy tail it started to chase me and i bolted. This animal was staking it's territory.I think it might of been a fox.
Apart from this i have seen a shark, elephant and weird people but these things were seen during ultramarathons, and were hallucinations so i dont think they count do they.?
Hey... Musta thought you were a bit foxy....

cheers
keith

#48 benny85

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

Was on a trail yesterday and saw what I thought was a partially decomposed baby... Second look it was a partally decomposed baby doll :Talking Ear Off: . From my lactate blurred vision it looked real for one extremely disturbing moment...

#49 John Dawlings

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:09 PM

I love the diagram shown in the article that FPT refers to at http://www.theonion....ad-bodies,2145/

I don't seem to be able to paste in the diagram but it shows the people who report slayings on the USA.  90% are joggers - fair enough. I can understand campers and dogs chasing frisbees in the diagram too.  But Russian fishermen and drunken teenage couples?  Why would they be finding dead bodies?  One of life's little mysteries.

#50 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

View PostJohn Dawlings, on Sep 1 2010, 04:09 PM, said:

But Russian fishermen and drunken teenage couples?  Why would they be finding dead bodies?  One of life's little mysteries.

You need to get out more John. :D

Back on topic, the amount of good "stuff" put out for council collections in suburbia.

Some of the strange things and good booty I've seen the last couple of nights have been significantly impacting on my tempo runs, turning them into fartlek sessions slowing down and stopping to have a gawk. Scored a very nice underground sprinkler system with brass pipe fittings and heavy duty solenoid valves. :D

I have been up bush too long where people only throw out crap. :Talking Ear Off:

There was another similar thread to this in the past, where I posted that I spotted an old rusty 8ft two person cross cut saw in the middle of the forest, ran home with it under the arm, must have been a sight to passing cars.