925 replies to this topic

#1 Hermie

Old Miniac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

Entries have opened but I can't download an entry form.

Is it me or a fault on the GNW website?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

View PostHermie, on Jul 26 2009, 08:55 PM, said:

Entries have opened but I can't download an entry form.

Is it me or a fault on the GNW website?

Apparently queenslanders need special consideration so you have probably been blocked. :)

It worked fine for me. B)

After today I'm not sure I want to see an entry form though.

#3 Hermie

Old Miniac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

View PostWhippet Man, on Jul 26 2009, 09:22 PM, said:

It worked fine for me. :)

Yeah well not for me. But God does hate Queenslanders.Can somebody who can email it to me PM me so I can give you my email address.I know Blue Dog couldn't because he's not barking at me because I've spoken harshly about him

#4 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

Herm sent to your gmail. Hope it is still active, haven't used it for a while.

#5 glenda

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

Peoples out there who have done the 100km GNW and the Gold Coast Kokoda Challenge...how does the terrain compare? Now I've started down the ultra trail I may as well continue

#6 djbleakman

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

It hurts - a lot :) But it's a beautiful course... Train on it if you can. If you can't, become very good at map reading and judgin distances...

Edited by djbleakman, 27 July 2009 - 10:06 AM.

#7 BillyEssexBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:10 AM

I have sent in my entry for the 100miles, now i am worying about getting lost etc. Iam seeking reassurance :)  B)

#8 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:32 AM

haha, the CoolRunning webiste must have a self defense mechanism.

When you say nasty things about Mick it goes into self destruct and removes them and goes into meltdown.

Now remember, you have to be NICE to Mick.

PS Thanks to the CoolRunning IT team that got the site going again.

#9 MQ

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

Mick/Gareth - I cut the crusts off my sandwhiches, have entered the 100 mile and am a girl (in the literal sense). go figure.

#10 otisr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

Mick,

I am sure i read yesterday that you were contemplating the 100km as a fast record attempt, instead of the 100 miler option.  Now it's gone.  i tried to respond but it did not work.  Can't work it out today...

If that is still the case, i agree with your thoughts, go for the 100km.  I was thinking same, do i repeat the 100km and do a faster pb or go the whole way - this year i am planning the full monty, as it is another challenge and not a race that i am after.

Go for it...

Billy - don't worry we all get lost at some point, I thought i knew the track well and had a 5km detour in the wrong direction last year at 0100 in the morning !!  But i did not let it get to me and got back on track.  The best thing is to train on the track, or at leats do the tougher sections before.  If not, try to keep with others that have run the course before. You will love it.

#11 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

View Postotisr, on Jul 28 2009, 09:18 AM, said:

If that is still the case, i agree with your thoughts, go for the 100km.  I was thinking same, do i repeat the 100km and do a faster pb or go the whole way - this year i am planning the full monty, as it is another challenge and not a race that i am after.

I agree this event is more of a challenge for most of us rather than a race. I DNF'd the first and will always remember that feeling that stayed with me until I was able to finish then next year. My view is that this event is all about getting to the finsih line before the cut off time and good time is a bonus. For me the main aim is always to finish.

As far as I am converned the last few hundred meters run along Patonga Beach to the finish marker is the best feeling ever and beats any other finish or feeling I have experienced.  :)

#12 seris

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

View PostBilly, on Jul 28 2009, 04:10 AM, said:

I have sent in my entry for the 100miles, now i am worying about getting lost etc. Iam seeking reassurance :)  B)
Billy from narrabeen all nighter?
I'm in for the full monty again... :D
Train on the course if you can.

#13 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

This is the finish feeling :

GNW finish - Oh what a feeling !!!!

#14 Beaver

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

GNW Entrants list is up

No prizes for guessing why no.5 has been skipped.  :)

#15 Beanie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

I have sent my entry today.

Still nursing a broken thumb and toe. The bruised ribs are better though  :)

Looking forward to it.

#16 Bandanna

runs on Tooheys New and Heinz baked beans

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

View PostEagle, on Jul 28 2009, 09:46 AM, said:

As far as I am converned the last few hundred meters run along Patonga Beach to the finish marker is the best feeling ever and beats any other finish or feeling I have experienced.  B)

It is a life defining moment, I totally agree.  My run along the beach was more akin to my avatar: dead man walking, with soles of feet that were totally battered raw and bruised.  But what joy it is to kiss that little marker.

View Postseris, on Jul 28 2009, 09:47 AM, said:

I'm in for the full monty again.

Yeah !

I have downloaded the entry form  :)

Edited by Bandanna, 28 July 2009 - 05:24 PM.

#17 Bernie G

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

View PostEagle, on Jul 27 2009, 09:53 AM, said:

This is the finish feeling :

GNW finish - Oh what a feeling !!!!

One of my favourite running memories :)

#18 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

Tim HorrieBel have signed up for the 100 miler. Can't wait!

#19 knoddie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:55 AM

My entry for the 100 miler is in.

#20 Innes

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:12 AM

All -

Sorry for being dumb but is there an online entry?
I could of sworn I entered online last year?

Innes

#21 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:14 AM

View PostInnes, on Jul 29 2009, 08:12 AM, said:

All -

Sorry for being dumb but is there an online entry?
I could of sworn I entered online last year?

Innes

No online entries for GNW Innes. You must be thinking about another event.

#22 BillyEssexBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

View Postseris, on Jul 28 2009, 09:47 AM, said:

Billy from narrabeen all nighter?
I'm in for the full monty again... :)
Train on the course if you can.

Yes I did the Narrabeen all nighter, Iam just not sure how much of a trail runner Iam. However 100miles it is.

#23 Innes

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:34 AM

View PostHorrie, on Jul 28 2009, 08:14 AM, said:

No online entries for GNW Innes. You must be thinking about another event.

Hmm...
never mind.. will get my entry printed off and posted this week in that case.
can't wait to tackle this monster again.

#24 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:38 AM

View PostInnes, on Jul 29 2009, 08:34 AM, said:

Hmm...
never mind.. will get my entry printed off and posted this week in that case.
can't wait to tackle this monster again.

You can sort of enter online, but printing off the form, scanning it in and emailing it to Dave Byrnes, and then transferring the dollars over t'interweb banking... genius...

#25 TheRidler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

It looks like this silly race is getting popular. I'm in for the full 100 miles this year and I need some help. I did the 100km last year and suffered with terrible blisters. There is no way I could have got past Yarramalong. I have dodgy feet and need to wear orthotics which cause friction. If anyone has any suggestions for blister control or the right socks I'd appreciate it. B)

Also if you are thinking of racing enter, because it is filling up fast. Miss Gazelle tells me it is a third full already. :)

#26 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

View PostTheRidler, on Jul 29 2009, 09:52 AM, said:

It looks like this silly race is getting popular. I'm in for the full 100 miles this year and I need some help. I did the 100km last year and suffered with terrible blisters. There is no way I could have got past Yarramalong. I have dodgy feet and need to wear orthotics which cause friction. If anyone has any suggestions for blister control or the right socks I'd appreciate it. B)

Also if you are thinking of racing enter, because it is filling up fast. Miss Gazelle tells me it is a third full already. :)

I think you've answered your own question there... rip out those orthotics and run how you're meant to run. On a serious note though I can relate as I've suffered with shin splints chronically over the years and physios and those feet poeple I forget the name of keep telling me to get them and I flately refuse, and intead work on building up the muscles where the issue is. Anyway, not wanting to start a debate on the virtues of runnign with orthotics on here as this thread is in celebration of Australia's best ultra.

For blisters, tap your hotspots on your feet that you know cause you trouble, some Leuko tape from the chemist should see you right. I use bridgedale socks too, love them and dont wear anything else, but again it's trial and error and down to personal choice. try out a few brands and see what works best for you.

#27 Bandanna

runs on Tooheys New and Heinz baked beans

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

I did the 100km last year and suffered with terrible blisters. There is no way I could have got past Yarramalong. I have dodgy feet and need to wear orthotics which cause friction. If anyone has any suggestions for blister control or the right socks I'd appreciate it. :)

Vaseline the soles of your feet and heels at the checkpoints. I wear Asics Kayano socks, they wick really well. I used a couple of  pairs on the run.  And also, I changed shoes a few times.

#28 alec

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

I've entered for the 100 miler. My first effort at the distance. Really looking forward to it.

#29 Blue Dog

CoolRunning's Ambassador-For-Life

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Location:Sans Souci, Sydney's small southern sparkling sapphire suburb.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

Dog in. #5.  :)

#30 gingerfox

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever done as I've only just completed my first (50km) ultra,
but I've just entered the 100mile. Gulp. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

#31 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

View Postdjbleakman, on Jul 27 2009, 10:03 AM, said:

It hurts - a lot :) But it's a beautiful course... Train on it if you can. If you can't, become very good at map reading and judgin distances...

I don't think it is at all necessary to be good at reading maps to stay on course at GNW. I think the perpetuation of the myth that the race requires superior navgation skills is misleading to those considering entering the event for the first time.

The course directions that are provided are excellent. Provided you follow the directions, giving aforethought as to when and how far your next turn will be, you should not get lost.

For example, if directions say you are at 100 metres altitude and the next turn is on the right, 1.4km away, at 300 metres altitude and onto a single track, think about the info given. "I will gaining 200 metres in 1.4km, so it is a big hill, so i'll be walking at about 10 minutes/km. This will take about 14 minutes. It is now 1:33am, so I should expect the turn at about 1:47am. Must look for a single track, on the right, and look for a GNW signpost".

Yes, knowing the course certainly does help, but for me it has lead to complacent mistakes on a couple of occasions.  

I think staying on track at GNW is more about assiduously following instructions and maintaining attentiveness over a protracted period, rather than being a good at interpretting a topo map.

#32 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

I have been caught up in the rush to enter and have ticked the only box - the 100 miler.  As the Dog has said I am not a sprinter  B) Entry posted today.

Hoping to make it 4 finishes at Patonga out of 5 starts. That DNF still haunts me. :)

Edited by Eagle, 29 July 2009 - 12:42 PM.

#33 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

My entry went in via E mail today.

I want to be in Jan's Category M40-46 not the M40-49 lots of people already in the M40-49.

#34 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:23 PM

View PostPaul Every, on Jul 29 2009, 12:27 PM, said:

I don't think it is at all necessary to be good at reading maps to stay on course at GNW. I think the perpetuation of the myth that the race requires superior navgation skills is misleading to those considering entering the event for the first time.

The course directions that are provided are excellent. Provided you follow the directions, giving aforethought as to when and how far your next turn will be, you should not get lost.

For example, if directions say you are at 100 metres altitude and the next turn is on the right, 1.4km away, at 300 metres altitude and onto a single track, think about the info given. "I will gaining 200 metres in 1.4km, so it is a big hill, so i'll be walking at about 10 minutes/km. This will take about 14 minutes. It is now 1:33am, so I should expect the turn at about 1:47am. Must look for a single track, on the right, and look for a GNW signpost".

Yes, knowing the course certainly does help, but for me it has lead to complacent mistakes on a couple of occasions.  

I think staying on track at GNW is more about assiduously following instructions and maintaining attentiveness over a protracted period, rather than being a good at interpretting a topo map.

That's actually what I meant to say, Paul puts it far more eloqently that I :) The instructions provided by Dave are actually very good... only problem for me last year was that I only bothered to get them out at 61kms when I proceeded to miss a turn and go 3kms down track...

So in answer, just be good at reading in general B) And don't follow those bloody green arrows up the hill as you approach the Basin.. just follow the sign that says, 'The Basin'!

#35 EXE

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:30 PM

View Postdjbleakman, on Jul 29 2009, 10:21 AM, said:

I think you've answered your own question there... rip out those orthotics and run how you're meant to run. On a serious note though I can relate as I've suffered with shin splints chronically over the years and physios and those feet poeple I forget the name of keep telling me to get them and I flately refuse, and intead work on building up the muscles where the issue is. Anyway, not wanting to start a debate on the virtues of runnign with orthotics on here as this thread is in celebration of Australia's best ultra.

For blisters, tap your hotspots on your feet that you know cause you trouble, some Leuko tape from the chemist should see you right. I use bridgedale socks too, love them and dont wear anything else, but again it's trial and error and down to personal choice. try out a few brands and see what works best for you.

I agree with djb.  I've been taping across the forefoot (and up/over the sides) and also big toe for last two years for all runs and have all eliminated blisters.  Regular taping prevents hot spots and subsequent build up of callus keeping your feet comfortably soft.  Try the 1 inch wide Leuko tape in the orange roll dispenser.  This type is stretchy and follows the contours of your foot.  I use two slightly overlapped strips across the sole.  I also use Eulactol Heel Balm Gold on toes and otherwise taped areas on a regular basis.  Vaseline between toes is great on any long training or race day.  Double socks (thin and thicker) work for me.  Field tested on 100K ultras and 24-HR Rogaines.

These helpful techniques were kindly passed onto to me by other caring/sharing CRs when I put out a call for help in 2007.  BTW - don't wait until November to start this procedure.

Also note that some runners prefer toughened knarly feet!

EXE

P.S.  Why am I looking at this thread?  :)

#36 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:44 PM

Mine just went in via email - Not doing the 100miler but the 100km.

Don't need to go for a triple clown in my first year of a hundred miler - I think 100 miler (and more) is a different monster than a 100km. My sword is only big enough to slay two for 2009! (so is my wallet)

Good luck to those on the 100 miler list - I will sit at patonga and enjoy my lemonlimebitter waiting for your arrival.

#37 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

For feet I reckon I have a couple of things that work better than Leuko tape and vaseline. Therafix tape is a physio underwrap tape - its thinner, stickier, more waterproof and slipperier. Finally I reckon Blistershield works better than Vaso - its basically powdered wax.

As for following directions  - as Paul says its easy, I did it on the 100k last year without getting lost once and did not look at the maps. BUT, it is pretty time consuming.

#38 EverReadyBunny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

I don't know what drugs I am on but I read Paul's statement

"I think staying on track at GNW is more about assiduously following instructions and maintaining attentiveness over a protracted period, rather than being a good at interpretting a topo map"

as ... "maintaining attractiveness over a protracted period" and thought this gets worse.

Not only do I need to read gnarly directions, stay on course, under cut off and out of the path of snakes and some leeches but also maintain my looks while doing it. Phew no wonder they call it a tough event.

#39 TheRidler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for all the help and info on blisters. I'm writing all this stuff down and will try it all out, but don't stop. If you have a good idea I'll listen, I'll even listen to the bad ideas.

As for getting lost and reading maps and directions; I got lost last year and arrived at the Basin 180 degrees off course, why? because I assumed I was on course. Don't assume. Read the instructions and follow the signs with the little man on (I call him little Dave). :)

#40 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned what I believe BlueDog did last year.

Fixomul and adhesive spray.

He has it down to an art form, no skin can be seen and very neat.

#41 Ourimbah

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

Well I have entered..

I think getting lost isn't a problem if Beaver could leave some bread crumbs along the way..

Sounds so easy..

Darrel

#42 Beaver

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

View PostOurimbah, on Jul 29 2009, 02:53 PM, said:

I think getting lost isn't a problem if Beaver could leave some bread crumbs along the way..

I plan on being the Lanterne Rouge this year so they will not be my breadcrumbs you will be following.

#43 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

View PostBeaver, on Jul 29 2009, 03:07 PM, said:

I plan on being the Lanterne Rouge this year so they will not be my breadcrumbs you will be following.
That will not work Beaver all eyes will be on you this year for another amazing effort.
Maybe even top 5 mate.
No pressure at all.

#44 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

View PostBrick, on Jul 29 2009, 03:16 PM, said:

That will not work Beaver all eyes will be on you this year for another amazing effort.
Maybe even top 5 mate.
No pressure at all.

This is true, all eyes on Beaver and the challenge he'll lay down to the Dog at the pointy end of the field.

#45 Beaver

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

Dan - you just concentrate on finding CP3 this year.

#46 Blue Dog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:29 PM

View PostMick, on Jul 28 2009, 10:53 PM, said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned what I believe BlueDog did last year.

Fixomul and adhesive spray.

He has it down to an art form, no skin can be seen and very neat.

Please, shut-up! Everybody should learn the hard way.

There are many valuable 'learning experiences' to be had at Great North and each abundantly enriches the soul.

I have two words for first-timers - "Ha Ha".

Cheers, Blue Dog.  :)

#47 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

Oh crap!

I was hoping to wait until the week beforehand to sign on --- hoping this latest fad of ultra idiocy would have passed by then and I could make the rational decision not to go.

#48 Blue Dog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

I hope it's hot. "2006 hot."  :)

#49 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

View PostBlue Dog, on Jul 29 2009, 05:29 PM, said:

Please, shut-up! Everybody should learn the hard way.
Ridler did learn the hard way ...

This book has been mentioned before also Fixing your feet

#50 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

View PostMick, on Jul 29 2009, 05:59 PM, said:

Ridler did learn the hard way ...

This book has been mentioned before also Fixing your feet

Best advice I can give get the book and read all of the Blogg and the information given by John.

All blisters can be fixed during the event (you just have to know what to do) and if you do it correctly it is likely they will give you no further trouble and you will be able to finish the event. John fixed Jan Hermann's blisteers in the 2008 Death Valley run at about mile 30 or so and Jan went on finish the remaining 100 miles. It is knowledge on prevention and treatment you need and carry the right equipment.

Edited by Eagle, 29 July 2009 - 06:19 PM.