15 replies to this topic

#1 AaronR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

This is it people, I have done the C2S ( http://www.coolrunni...showtopic=24008 ) and am going to commit to the half this year. God Help me. Now I do need a little more advice on this. The farthest i have run is 17kms, which is a round trip from my house down thru parramatta, through Carlingford, to north rocks and back to my house. Now this is pretty much one big hill. I can do this run on lets say a saturday and be feeling well enough again by wednesday to do a 5k. I have been just working on 3 x 5k runs a week with a long run every 2 or 3 weeks. Now i know that there are plenty of training programs out there, but half of them are talking in another language that i just don't understand at all. All the specialty words for wiz bang approaches to your training. Can Some of you give me a rough idea as to how to get myself up to Half mara distance. Keeping in mind that I am mainly aiming at finishing and if i can manage it in 2 hours.

My training can't be too regimented, I can manage 3 runs a week and I am sure i could get an extra 4th run in every other week. So what are peoples suggestions.

Thanks in advance peoples

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Melruns

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hi AaronR, congratulations on your C2S adventure.  Sounds like you've done really well in a pretty short time!

I'm no expert at all but have done a couple of HMs so I'll have a crack at giving you some advice...

I'm hoping that you're able to spend a little bit more time running on your 3 runs a week than your current 5ks?  If you've only got 3 sessions to commit to, I reckon make one some kind of fartlek or interval or hill session, one a bit longer (up to 10k if you have the time) and a relaxed run of about 8k.  Again, this is all time dependant.

Then there's your longer run you are able to do every 3 weeks.  IMHO, if you are doing 17k at the moment on Saturday and suffering until Wednesday, you might be going a bit far for what your body can handle?  I take it you only have 2 of these extra long run sessions available before the HM?  How about make one a 15k or so, then the next one 18.  You don't "need" to do 21.1k to race 21.1k (although yes I prefer to) but again, you might be a bit short on time.  The extra training by working up to 10k more regularly should see you through.

The area that probably gets complicated for you if you are looking at online programs are the interval sessions.  There are heaps of different ways of doing interval training but one I like to use if I don't have any way of mapping out distances is a 5-10min warm up then 5min a bit faster than race pace, 5 min jog, 4 min faster, 4 jog, 3 min faster, 3 min jog etc down to 1.  5 min cool down.  Takes about 40 min or so.  If you have more time available, add a 6 min to the start.  The experts are probably shuddering but I found it worked for me to get a bit more speed and doesn't rely on measured distances or heart rates etc.

Just some ideas, good luck.

#3 monnsqueak

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

Hiyas!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you - I started running late last year, and just did City to Surf yesterday. I'm also training for half marathon now, the Sri Chinmoy in Centennial Park (Sydney) in November.

So I've got 3 weeks of just taking it easy, 3 runs a week, and then I start my 3 month Hal Higdon program, which will lead me easily into November. Works out very well timed!

You can find the novice Half Marathon program at http://www.halhigdon...thon/novice.htm - I find the Higdon programs nice and easy to follow and understand, and they make sense! This one aims at 4 days a week running with a bit of other stuff thrown in. Have a peek and see if it might suit you. He does say that the program is easily juggled (scroll down the page for details on this), which I really like.

Good luck, and maybe I'll see you at Centennial Park in November? :) http://www.srichinmo...nts/sydneyraces for if you want to have a peek, if you haven't already plotted where you first halfer is going to be hehe

Monica

#4 flyingemu

it's Sir emu to you...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

View PostAaronR, on Aug 10 2009, 08:10 PM, said:

This is it people, I have done the C2S ( http://www.coolrunni...showtopic=24008 ) and am going to commit to the half this year. God Help me. Now I do need a little more advice on this. The farthest i have run is 17kms, which is a round trip from my house down thru parramatta, through Carlingford, to north rocks and back to my house. Now this is pretty much one big hill. I can do this run on lets say a saturday and be feeling well enough again by wednesday to do a 5k. I have been just working on 3 x 5k runs a week with a long run every 2 or 3 weeks. Now i know that there are plenty of training programs out there, but half of them are talking in another language that i just don't understand at all. All the specialty words for wiz bang approaches to your training. Can Some of you give me a rough idea as to how to get myself up to Half mara distance. Keeping in mind that I am mainly aiming at finishing and if i can manage it in 2 hours.

My training can't be too regimented, I can manage 3 runs a week and I am sure i could get an extra 4th run in every other week. So what are peoples suggestions.

Thanks in advance peoples
Just do a long run, like 15km or the same 17km but on consecutive weekends. Then, just do it. Another 4km may seem like a lot, and you'll be sore afterwards, but the euphoria will be worth it. Sign up and go for it I reckon. I ran a HM after only going 17km, and it was awesome.

#5 AaronR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:21 PM

View PostMelruns, on Aug 10 2009, 09:40 PM, said:

IMHO, if you are doing 17k at the moment on Saturday and suffering until Wednesday, you might be going a bit far for what your body can handle?

Hi There,
I thought i should clarify this bit.
I can run the 17k, and could run again 2 days later, BUT, I have been erring on the side of caution so as to not over train and not injure myself. Does that make sense?

All my runs are hills based, there isn't any flat area's around me sadly, I really wish there was....
So from that point of view i think i am ok with that side of things.

The 5k run's I intend on extending, but I am trying to decide how much to add each week. I have two 5k runs i can do. One is a long steep downhill climb, followed by a long STEEP(think heartbreak) hill climb back up. The other is less steep, but more up and down. I can add to this and make an 8k easy enough. Or Combine the 2 5k together to make a 10k.

In regards to interval fartlek hoover watsits, it doesn't make much sense. I know i need to do some study i guess.

#6 Melruns

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

Yes that totally makes sense AaronR.  So, just build up the 5s into some 8s and 10s and you'll be fine.  I'd say add 10% to your weekly kilometreage (mileage?) each week but I can see your eyes glazing over from here with the maths :) !  If you can get to 17 in training you can get to 21.1 on the day, for sure.

You can honestly do some pretty simple interval fartlek hoover doover whatsits.  That pyramid I explained is seriously easy to remember - just run a faster than your regular speed for a period, then slower for the same period, repeat, taking a minute off each time.  Start at 5 or 6 minutes.  There's heart rates and rates of perceived exertion and all sorts of complicated explanations involved but basically, if you can finish the "interval" and not have to stop or spew, you're not going too hard.  If you're not running faster than your usual run, you're not going hard enough.  Then take it real easy for the same amount of time.  Rinse.  Repeat -1  min.

Some people love 'em, some hate 'em but they are great for getting your body used to speed and discomfort.

I'd love to take you for a run to demonstrate but you're not in CQ and I don't think my unborn child would like intervals!

#7 Sharp

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Aaron - I'm also in the same position as you; signed up to do the half with my brother this morning!  The Sydney Running Festival website has training programs on it.  All you need to do is log in and it will get a few details off you, then you're away!  Give it a look.

Just need to make sure I don't get myself injured in the last few games of soccer this season...

#8 AaronR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

Well, I have registered. Bib #05897
I think the hardest part of this one is going to be getting up for a 6.20 start, it's killing me already!
I'll have a look see at the training programs and see what we can find.
At this stage I am going to say I'll get it done in 2.05, but I would like to think I can crack 2 hours. We will see i guess.

#9 flyingemu

it's Sir emu to you...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

View PostAaronR, on Aug 12 2009, 07:53 PM, said:

At this stage I am going to say I'll get it done in 2.05, but I would like to think I can crack 2 hours. We will see i guess.
Sounds about right. My city 2 surf last year was 78:29, and then I did my first ever HM in November in 1:59. So your 80:49 in the C2S might translate to a 2:00-2:05 HM, depending on the course. Good luck!

#10 AaronR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

Official C2S time ended up being 81.15, but I did have to stop three times(see my c2s thread for the reasons) and pass about 40ooo people. The course is supposedly pretty flat, which being all i train on is hills hills and more hills should make a 2.05 achievable and 2hour possible if i put in a bit of effort this month.
But, I guess it is more about completing it this year. If I can manage that, then I will have to set myself the goal of the m7 Mararthon after that.... scary though that is.

#11 AaronR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

Interesting run this afternoon for me. I ran a not so hilly run, still a good amount of rise in the run and came in at 50'15" for 10km. I felt reasonably good most of the way, but felt the effects of an empty stomach in the latter period of the run. Running without the crowds of city to surf and a more flat course seems to have given me more pace than I first thought.

It begs the question as to how hilly is the Half and going on a 10k time what would that work out to be as a Half marathon time? Anyone got ideas as to what that would work out to be ROUGHLY?

Cheers
Aaron

#12 AaronR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

Well i ran it....
Bit of back story to the event, I have been on a 3 run a week plan doing two 10k and one long run, ranging from 14 thru to 25ish. Worked well, felt good, niggles were even non existent. The plan was to run the Half in less than 130mins. But I corrected that to 120mins as the event came closer. I secretly hoped to come in at 110-115...
Anyway, the Mrs was in Melbourne for the brownlow tomorrow night so I shipped no1 son off to grandma and grandpas for the weekend. Spent the day saturday picking up tickets etc for the Half. Came home relaxed and had dinner and was ready for bed, because of the 4am rise, at 8.30pm. I thought that would probably be as early as i could get to sleep. Anyway, after watching indiana jones and the crystal skull I found my nose was twitching and my eyes starting to itch... uh oh! We have had fires round here all day saturday and it hadn;t bothered me at that point. Straight to the cupboard and grabbed the telfast which normally knocks it on the head in about half an hour.... not this time, my nose and eye's became taps, i sneezed myself silly. So my 8.30 bedtime finally ended up at a 2am bedtime...... with a 4am rise things weren;t looking good.
When i became conscious again with the alarm blaring, I jumped right up, thinking positivity, Who needs sleep, who needs rest. Thats for the dead right. Problem when your so tired you forget things, my etag for one, my breakfast the other and of course my obligatory b nana. Best I was able to manage was a coffee and an apple from the servo, which was the only thing open and the only thing they could get me. Coffee helped pep me up, but certainly not good(i guess) for the run.
Got the the event with an hour to spare, lined up for the toilet, and had 15 mins to spare before the start..... Wow, i thought that was worse than C2S!!! and thats saying something. Off we went at the start, lacking in motivation and major dip of energy.I thought to myself, get in front of the 120 bus and stay there. It seemed to work, a few points i just couldnt run anymore, Breathing was ok, just sapped of energy. Had to stop for the loo too at the 15k mark, damn coffee...
16 k, wanted to stop, 17k really wanted to stop, 18k and 19k points i saw a few people being attended by the ambo's and i thought to myself, thats gonna be me any minute now.
BUT, you know what? The funniest thing happened. It all settled, my breathing wasn't laboured and my legs and body just felt great. I checked my pace on the Ipod and I was doing what i expected, So i upped the ante. Dropped an extra 30-45sec per K off my pace and went for it. Fo rthe first time in the race i was passing people, which i quite enjoyed as i passed a few thugs that enjoyed barging past me earlier.
Anyway, I finished and kind of wished my race had started at the 19k mark for me. My time, well I am happy, I should complain, but i do feel i have a much better half waiting for me. I crack the 2 hour mark with a 1'57"30ish matt time. 1'58"20 gun/clock at the end time.
So yeah, the newby managed the distance and managed to crack 2hours, i'm happy.
Now whats next..... Im thinking of a run to windsor for brekky. 32k from my place. Anyone wanna go for a run? :LMAO:

#13 Crunchie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

well done AaronR, great effort!

#14 shrek

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:36 AM

Well done Aaron, your first HM and you broke 2hrs.

My first HM as well, did it in 1'53". Very happy with my result considering i had a cold all week and didn't do as much running as i hoped.

#15 AaronR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

Thanks guys and congrats to you.
I have come back pretty well and will be going for my first post Half run tomorrow and will be back to a std 3 run week for a bit. I need to find now an event to Aim for. I'm looking at another half or two and then Maybe a full 1st to 2nd qtr next year. There is alot of talk about melbourne, but it seems it is only a full marathon and I am kinda bummed as i would have been keen to run that event too. Will run the 8 k on sunday at the orange blossom, which will be nice to just potter along in. What events are worth doing 10k thru to halfs in the later stages of the year?

#16 shrek

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:41 AM

My legs (especially quads) feel a lot better today than they did on Monday. I want to find another event to aim for as well, maybe not another half just yet. There's a 10km run at Olympic Park in Homebush in November (8th) that i would've liked to do cause you finish in ANZ Stadium but my daughter has her dancing concert that morning and with Sydney's public transport and traffic there's no way i'll get there in time.