#51 Sir Runalot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

View PostTrailTrash, on Jun 11 2010, 02:50 PM, said:

Innes & Graham, have a great run, fair to say we wont see you out there given we are giving you an hour head start.

It's only an hour, over this distance you never know.....

Ready to rumble, see any starters in the AM. 

SR

Support our Australian advertisers:

#52 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

I'll be arriving by train at 6:49am for a 7am start.
Ooh...race starts in 7h25m.
Doesn't look like much sleep tonight!

#53 Graham Wye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

A perfect day for runnning. Disappointed to hear there weren't many starters this year. Innes and I started just after 6am as our driver had to get us to Gosford early so he could return to Sydney to catch a plane and we didn't really want to wait around for nearly an hour. We ran together until Innes drew ahead of me coming into Berowra and he disappeared from view and I didn't see him again. Innes, I hope you had a good strong finish. I went through a bad patch for about an hour but once on Kuringai Chase Road, the nausea went away and my strength returned and I didn't have to walk much after that. After hoping to get to the finish in 10:30 I realised that wasn't going to happen and set my sights on just getting there in under 11. Once on the bridge I ran as fast as I could to beat the clock to nudge just under 11 and after a good sprint at the end (well it felt like a sprint, but probably didn't look like one!) I finished in 11:00:00 – one second less would have been good! Still, a 26 minute PB is still an improvement, looking for more improvement next time.

#54 Innes

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

Had great run yesterday.
Ran with Graham till Berowra at decent steady pace.
hit the marathon mark in 4 hrs and had a 15 minute dodgy spell
until mt kuringai and felt great after that and ran the entire bobbin head loop...

turned right at lane cove rd to head home and ran the last 10 k in 1:03 which was very pleasing.

92k in 9Hr 35 , excellent training run.

Thanks for the company Graham and well done on a good pb.

only worry was very sore ankles for most of the day?

#55 EverReadyBunny

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

Driving home from a run in the Blue mountains with Buzz and Beaver and who  do I spot running along the road. Trailtrash on his road to glory for Poor mans Comrades.

I couldn't help myself and parked the car and jumped out for a brief run with him. He also had  Rivz keeping him company. Although he said his time would be slower than last year he seemed to be powering on. From my memory much faster than I was running in the same spot when I did this one a few months back.

Well done to Trailtrash, Innes, Graham, RawaussieAthlete and Sirrunalot. It is not an easy run.

#56 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

Runners (of the full course) on the day that I'm aware of:
   6am start: Innes, Graham Wye
   6:15am start? Ken Smith
   7am start: Sir Runalot (Noel), Trailtrash (Gavin), RawAussieAthlete (Grant) and lastish (Simon?) who left Gosford aiming for 14-15 hours.

We also had runners doing the final legs of the course including:
- Les Bryce from the north Turramurra gate from Bobbin Head, and
- Trailtrash's crew who gave us support for the first 60km.

Trailtrashes support crew (Mark and Declan) was superb providing support for most of the runners. I felt pretty well looked after having water bottles run to me as I approach the vehicle. Please accept the Fat Ass award for crew of the day and a HUGE thankyou!

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 14 June 2010 - 01:24 PM.

#57 Sir Runalot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

Started as one of the 4 on the line at 7:00am. We knew there were some others ahead somewhere. Had woken with a bit of a sore throat but decided to give it a go anyway. Ran with TrailTrash and RawAussieAthlete for the first couple of k's but pulled away when we hit the climb out of Gosford. I had a solid first 30km in 2:45, feeling OK but a bit sore in the feet and legs which came from the constant rough hard surface of the road and probably the 60km at Manly two weeks prior. Caught an ran with Dave C and Ted from Berowra Bushrunners for a short time but otherwise ran alone most of the time. Pete T, another BBR joined me at Mooney Mooney for the climb out of the Hawkesbury which I managed without walking. Through the marathon in 3:56 I was in good shape heading to Berowra. Lots of traffic on the Old Pacific Highway made the running here a bit unpleasant. 4:45 for 50km and soreness in the quads was starting to bite. The run down into Bobbin Head was just painful - you know you're having difficulty when you start walking downhill. Reached the bottom (65km) in 6:25 and decided to stop and get an icecream, take a break and see how I felt after 10min. When it came time to move I looked up the hill out of Bobbin Head and simply couldn't face the bitumen, with the legs barely functioning I made the difficult decision to head home. Having no car or support I walk/shuffled along the Gibberagong track back to Nth Wahroonga and home, another 10.5km giving me a total of 75.5km in 8:05. 

Obviously I would've liked to get into the city but today wasn't the day. A few lessons learned (like, you can't expect to run 90km at the same pace as 60km) and all in all I'm not disapointed - one day I'll get there.

Thanks to TrailTrash for the lift up and to Mark and Declan for crewing to Berowra, Dave, Ted & Pete for the company. TrailTrash made it all the way with a 12:14, pretty happy with his performance, well done mate!

SR

#58 Ourimbah

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

Well done guys,even though it was pretty good running conditions 92km's is a bloody lot of tar to cover.

Edited by Ourimbah, 13 June 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#59 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:32 PM

I had a cruisy day. Beautiful weather. No injuries. No troubles.
I finished in 11:36, my welcoming party were tourists who had just arrived from South Africa, excited to be at the opera house :rolleyes:

I enjoyed the company of Trailtrash for the first 16km or so (I think he slowed up with a stitch and came good later?) and after passing Ken a few km later, it was a solo journey to the finish.

Roadkill count over the course = 10 (possums, cat, bush rat, a few others)
P-plate count: Must have been over a hundred magnetic and plastic P-plates lining the roads.

A beautiful race as always; well balanced between an abundance of nature, scenic views, and personal challenges ;)

Here are my race stats for those interested in such things:

Distance covered: 92km (57mi)
Duration: 11hr 36min

Morning intake (pre-race):
  700ml water (40 min before race start), no food needed

Consumption during race:
  30 x medjool dates (1956kcal) (each date: 23.52g, 65kcal)
  26 x medium bananas (2720kcal) (each banana: 118g, 105kcal)
  5 litres water (5.3qt)

Race intake (total):
  Intake (food+water): 8.8kg/19.4lb
  Energy: 4676kcal/19573kJ
  Water:
    - total: 7.45l/7.9qt
    - from drinking: 5l/5.3qt
    - from food: 2.45l/2.6qt
  Carbs: 1230g, 4427kcal/18531kJ
  Protein: 46g, 155kcal/650kJ
  Fat: 11g, 94kcal/392kJ
  Sodium (from food): 37.74mg

Race intake (per hour):
  Speed (avg): 7.93km/hr (7.57min/km), 4.93mi/hr (12.17min/mi)
  Intake (food+water): 756g/hr
  Energy: 403kcal/hr
  Water: 642ml/hr
  Carbs: 382kcal/hr, 106g/hr
  Protein: 13kcal/hr, 4g/hr
  Fat: 8kcal/hr, 1g/hr
  Sodium: 3.3mg/hr

Sleep:
  - Night before race: 4.5hr (oops!)
  - Avg per night in days leading up to race: 8hrs

Post race:
  Slept 1hr on bus ride home (CityRail trackwork=no trains)
  12.5hr sleep after arriving home

Body type: Male, age 37, 72kg (158lb), 195cm (6'5")

Who's ready for another run! B)

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 13 June 2010 - 06:54 PM.

#60 lastish

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

In brief
Departed Gosford 6:15am  Arrived Opera House 8:21pm

#61 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:37 PM

Good to see a few hardy souls got out there yesterday to keep this great run going.
Well done all.

#62 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

SUGGESTED UPDATES TO COURSE DIRECTIONS
(for those who have such updating powers)

1) The direction:
"Continue into Strickland Ave; and on into Hill St and past Roseville Station"
should be updated to:
"Continue LEFT into Strickland Ave; RIGHT into Rawhiti St; RIGHT into Clanville Rd; LEFT into Hill St and past Roseville Station"
The problems with the current directions are that Strickland goes both left and right at the end of Lindfield Ave, and the directions leave people looking for Hill St when they come across Rawhiti St.

2) The directions need to be scaled back to 92km if that is a more accurate measurement than 96km. It creates a lot of confusion.

3) Would also be useful to mention continuing past the Albert St intersection as a direction before turning right at Mowbray Rd.

#63 lastish

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

Further update to course directions:
Delete the reference to the Mooney Mooney service station; it is closed with a fence around the site, so no longer a water source.

#64 Rivz

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:09 AM

To everybody who ran yesterday congratulations on some fANTASTIC runs.

View PostRawAussieAthlete, on Jun 13 2010, 03:59 PM, said:

Trailtrashes support crew (Mark and Declan) was superb providing support for most of the runners. I felt pretty well looked after having water bottles run to me as I approach the vehicle. Please accept the Fat Ass award for crew of the day and a HUGE thankyou!
Declan and I had great day and feel privileged to have been a part of it.  If, in some small way, we managed to help some of you achieve your goals then that is just great. ......and what better way to provide some positive role models for an 11yr old boy than introduce him to you guys........

View PostSir Runalot, on Jun 13 2010, 04:39 PM, said:

Thanks ......... to Mark and Declan for crewing to Berowra
Sir Runalot - we are just sorry that we weren't able to do a better job for you......your amaizing speed meant we often had to leave you unattended for much longer than we would have liked......

To TrailTrash another great run for the second year in a row. Brilliant!  ..........oh yeah ........and sorry for leaving you unsupported for the 13k from Berowra to Bobbin Hd.......

Cheers
Rivz

#65 CaptainSmeg

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

Congratulations folks!
It sounds like you all breezed it in. :rolleyes:
Hope the recovery is pain free.... hope to be joining you for this run sometime soon!

#66 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

2010 PMC Results

92km finishers:
1) Innes 9:35
2) Graham Wye 11:00
3) RawAussieAthlete (Grant) 11:36
4) Trailtrash (Gavin) 12:14
5) lastish (Ken Smith) 14:06
6) Simon Lauer 14:10

Partial course:
Sir Runalot (Noel) 65km in 6:25 (+10.5km home for 75.5km in 8:05)
Dave C (Berowra Bushrunners)
Ted (Berowra Bushrunners)
Pete T (Berowra Bushrunners)
Rivz (approx 30km)
Les Bryce (final 25km approx)
Declan (a few km all up as support crew for the competitors)
EverReadyBunny (couldn't resist a brief run on return from the Blue Mtns!)

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 21 June 2010 - 01:18 PM.

#67 durianrider

CoolRunner

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

Raw Aussie Athlete..are you telling me you ran 92km with NO STIMULANTS? What about coffee, dexy's, coke (both types), ephidrine etc? How on earth do you go that far on a vegan diet when your average citizen needs 4 cups of coffee a day to control the car, remote, key card and key board?

#68 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

View Postdurianrider, on Jun 14 2010, 01:58 AM, said:

Raw Aussie Athlete..are you telling me you ran 92km with NO STIMULANTS? What about coffee, dexy's, coke (both types), ephidrine etc? How on earth do you go that far on a vegan diet when your average citizen needs 4 cups of coffee a day to control the car, remote, key card and key board?

DurianRider
Like a whipped horse, stimulants might have gotten me to the finish faster, but I still plan to be running ultras 50 years from now.
stimulants=burnout+injury
I don't have time in life for injury or long recovery periods.

I'm looking forward to enjoying a 10km sand dune/trail run tomorrow morning around Norah Head, followed by swimming a few laps of the bay.

#69 TrailTrash

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

What a great day Saturday was for a run.

I was very happy with my result – 12.14.
1 hour 15 mins slower than last year. I think that is a fair reflection of my current fitness.

I commented to some friends the other day I seem to really like the lower key events & they don’t come much lower key than this years PMC.

Great to run with Grant for a few hours. I had hoped I would real him in towards the end, but that was not to be. Great run mate!

Sir Runalot took off before the first hill and by all reports was looking very strong up to his alternate route decision. Sorry to hear you didn’t get to the opera house, still a great run all the same.

I was very fortuitous to have Rivz and Declan drive me to the start line and offer myself and all other 7am starts support, which allowed me to run all day with a hand held bottle only.
Thanks so much guys, we may be related but it’s still a huge commitment to give up your Saturday.

I also got a huge boost from having some mates join me for varying distances, Rivz pulled on the runners and joined me from Bobbin Head to the finish, Les Bryce ran with us for 8K after waiting for me for over an hour in the cold and ERB joined us from Killara to Chatswood, it was just the motivation I needed to get to the finish.

Thousands of people around the harbour foreshore looking at the light show on the Opera House sails and surrounding buildings that slowed the last few k’s.

I have not pulled up well, both Achilles are very swollen and sore and now with my ungainly gait my right knee is playing up – it must be all the stimulants I used to get me from Gosford to Sydney… :rolleyes:

#70 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

View PostTrailTrash, on Jun 15 2010, 01:48 AM, said:

I have not pulled up well, both Achilles are very swollen and sore and now with my ungainly gait my right knee is playing up – it must be all the stimulants I used to get me from Gosford to Sydney… :rolleyes:

lol B)
But seriously Trailtrash, without trying to "diet bash" the forum, in my experience, a good balance of omega 3 to omega 6 EFAs (as required for effective inflammation response) only comes from a diet of raw fruit and veg. I know Dean Karnazes has found the same.
Omega 3 fats are seriously heat sensitive, so any cooking destroys them, and there's way too much omega 6 in any processed food.
Every other diet I tried, meat&veg home cooked meals OR vegetarian OR cooked vegan all left me with sore knees, ankles, etc that led to recurring injuries. Now, I don't get those problems. This morning I ended up running 5km (my friend cut it short of the 10km) around local beaches, up steep sanddunes, steps and apart from feeling a little sluggish up the hills...which is pretty normal for me anyway ;) I felt awesome. No soreness at all.
I'm looking forward to 500m interval training tomorrow.

#71 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

5) lastish 14:06

Unknown result:
Ken Smith
Ken Smith is lastish.

#72 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

Respect the vegan diet (a vego for more than 20yrs myself) but for me my recovery from long ultras depends largely on the amount of mileage/training I am putting in prior to said ultra. Nutrition certainly helps recovery and plays a part but not as proportionally as training does.

My 2c

#73 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

View PostSpud, on Jun 15 2010, 03:25 AM, said:

Respect the vegan diet (a vego for more than 20yrs myself) but for me my recovery from long ultras depends largely on the amount of mileage/training I am putting in prior to said ultra. Nutrition certainly helps recovery and plays a part but not as proportionally as training does.

My 2c

I think you're selling your input short at 2c Spud. You have a tonnes of experience with diet, running AND posting! An ultra effort all round.

My 2c: Anyone who increases their regular consumption of raw fruit and veg and gets enough sleep/rest will recover faster and consequently be able to train harder.

I agree that mileage is a significant factor. But I think fresh F&V nutrients are the dominant factor. I think its limits people's ability to continue to do the miles in training without injury.
I'm not a good example to demonstrate this as I don't consistently do high mileage weeks.
But Mike Arnstein is.
He is from New York and recently ran 100km in the US Nationals on nothing but tangerines (18kg!). He came 5th in 7hr 27m and was running 160 miles per week for 2 months leading up to the race!
He's a long term competitive triathlete and only adopted a 100% low fat raw vegan diet (ie. fresh F&V) in the last 2 years. In the first 12 months of diet change, his marathon time came down from a long standing 3 hrs to 2hrs 29min!
He attributes the benefits to the diet and more sleep, allowing him to recover so much faster and effectively that he can train a lot harder and achieve better results.
i-ran-100km-62.2miles-fast

#74 kolya

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

View PostRawAussieAthlete, on Jun 14 2010, 01:34 PM, said:

2010 PMC Results
(Please advise if I got any wrong)

Unknown result:
The 4th 7am starter who was planning to go slow (was his name Simon?)

His name is Simon Lauer and he told me he finished in 14:10.

Cheers,
Kolya

#75 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

View Postkolya, on Jun 20 2010, 10:43 PM, said:

His name is Simon Lauer and he told me he finished in 14:10.

Cheers,
Kolya

Thx Koyla!
I've updated the original results post.

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 21 June 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#76 lisa1979

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

Raw Aussie Athlete, I have been eating a lot more fruit since I met you at Manly-Palm beach. Thanks for the inspiration. I certainly found in the 24hr race that fruit went down so much better than any other type of food. Well done on your PMC!

#77 Graham Wye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

I have just gone through and amended the measurements on the instruction sheet (PMC Down) according to the measurements on the Gmaps Pedometer.
We knew the course is 92kms and not 96, so these updated distances should avoid the confusion of the distances along the way.

When we arrived at the Pie in the Sky Shoppe we had assumed it was about a marathon but actually it is just under 40kms from the start!

I have also taken into account RawAussieAthlete's comments.

The new instructions are attached here. If anyone has any comments please let me know.

If they are OK, can someone who knows how, upload them to the Fatass website please.

I'll try and do one for the up version before next year!

Attached Files

Edited by Graham Wye, 21 June 2010 - 07:58 PM.

#78 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:59 PM

View Postlisa1979, on Jun 21 2010, 12:11 AM, said:

Raw Aussie Athlete, I have been eating a lot more fruit since I met you at Manly-Palm beach. Thanks for the inspiration. I certainly found in the 24hr race that fruit went down so much better than any other type of food. Well done on your PMC!

Lisa,
Glad to hear your race food is working for you.
PM me a race report for the 24hr if you have one.
I'd love to hear your results.

View PostGraham Wye, on Jun 21 2010, 05:54 AM, said:

I have just gone through and amended the measurements on the instruction sheet (PMC Down) ...

Nice job Graham!