3k Time For Beginner?

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 mickb

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

Hi all, started running 6 weeks ago.  Have gone from a carton of fags and slab of beer a week to running (well, run/walk) daily.  Feeling great.  Am working toward my first fun run (3k at Marysville).  What time should I be aiming to achieve?  At the moment, I do the 3k in just under 20m (appalling, but it's a start).

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Jaybe

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

Thats actually not that pathetic Mick! When I first started out running, I didnt really run anything over 6.5min/k's (which is equal to the time youre doing currently).

Its a big thing to go from 6.5 to 5.5 min/k's, or even to 6 min/k's - how long till your run in Marysville?

#3 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,174 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

You should probably be aiming to do just under 20 minutes.

It's not appalling.

All the best for the run! Enjoy it. Do more of them. Run more. Run further. Have fun!

#4 bennie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

View Postmickb, on Oct 27 2009, 08:25 PM, said:

Hi all, started running 6 weeks ago.  Have gone from a carton of fags and slab of beer a week to running (well, run/walk) daily.  Feeling great.  Am working toward my first fun run (3k at Marysville).  What time should I be aiming to achieve?  At the moment, I do the 3k in just under 20m (appalling, but it's a start).

whooaaaa. now that's the best news i've heard all day! Darn exciting!!!! :-)

I know exactly where you are right now mate! because I was in the same place 7 months ago!!!!

I reckon 3k in 20 minutes is perfect for where you are right now! Go out and enjoy the fun run!!!! See if you can make a 'regular melbourne - training run' one day. particularly when it's at the Tan... 1 lap = 3.872 km... I'm more than happy to do a lap with ya! :-)

Take care and keep us updated on your progress!

again congrats!
Bennie

#5 atsipootes

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:10 PM

I think that 18 minutes can be a goal for you.
It's 6minutes/1km :LOL:

#6 mickb

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I just broke the 19m barrier yesterday, so I'm stoked.  I think 18m is achievable soon.  For a 36 yr old heavy smoker/drinker who has only just started running, I'm feeling pretty good.  And good to have some support online as well, cheers.......