Jump to content


2010 Hellgate Gorge Fat Ass


  • You cannot reply to this topic
146 replies to this topic

#101 Koala1

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined: 27-March 04
  • Sex:Don't know
  • Location:Upper Blue Mtns, Sydney

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

Sadly I'm out  :D

Running very tired at the moment from all the Wild Endurance training, so to make sure I make the WE start line, I will drop out of this one.

Have fun out there - will be thinking of you and the fun you will all be having.

K1

Support our Australian advertisers:

#102 RawAussieAthlete

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined: 10-November 05
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Central Coast

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

View PostNickelass, on Apr 13 2010, 12:56 AM, said:

I think the 100K runners should try and start earlier - maybe first light?

Wadeye and I will be going up on Friday night so we can make an early start.  

Any chance of you coming that night?  I can pick you up on the way through if required - I plan to head up after work.

Buzz, I believe Wadaye is up for the Bouncing off the Walls 100km option, and whispers that EverReadyBunny may join us.
I'm hoping we'll start the 100km as early as 3am or 4am.
...switchbacks down a crumbly, unrunnable surface doesn't sound like much fun in the dark.

#103 Nickelass

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Joined: 23-January 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

View PostSpud, on Apr 12 2010, 07:17 PM, said:

Grant - carry lots. Would be difficult to do without at least one water drop at the Moorara/Blood Filly Trail head, pick up on the way out and then again on the return.
There are two creek crossings (Thurat and Kanangra) on the out and back to the Walls but not sure of quality?

Good water at the start and here:
Jenolan Caves (10.3kms) tap on RHS immediately after stairs
Thanks for the tip Spud.

For the 100k runners, it looks like Thurat is about 24km from the start of the Moorara/Blood Filly Trail head.  After that there is Kanangra Creek a further 6km (or so) and Mount Kanangra (which from memory has a water tank).

On the return it will be a long distance between drinks with no potable water between Thurat Creek and Deviation.

I think for the 100k runners I will drop water at the Moorara/Blood Filly trail head on Friday night.  We can carry some water from the Trail Head to the Moorara trail turnoff and stash it for the return trip to Deviation.

It if turns out that there's no water available at Thurat and Kanangra Creeks, we'll need to carry sufficient to make the return trip (and probably not complete the 100).

To make things easier, if all the 100k runners could have sufficient water to stash at the trail head ready, I'm happy to do the drop.  (This should be fairly easy as we're all driving up in the same car).  

For the 100Km runners  I suggest you bring with you 2 stashes of water - for the 24k run (plus 24k return) to Thurat Creek.  And enough to run from the Stash back to Deviation (about 25K).

If anybody else wants me to drop water at the Trail head, I'm happy to pick it up at the Deviation campground on Friday night (10pm-ish).  

To be clear, I wont be returning to pick up any empty water cannisters (or rubbish) as I plan to carry my empty containers with me on the run out.

Edited by Nickelass, 15 April 2010 - 02:52 PM.


#104 Spud

    trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts
  • Joined: 25-March 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

Good one Nickelass,

Bear in mind the last good water at Jenolan Caves (for Hellgaters) to the next (at the finish) can be 4-6 hrs+ for some.

Spud

#105 Brick

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined: 13-November 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Pennant Hills, NSW

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:48 PM

Change of plans, Buzz has just has a last minute change for work so will not be doing Hellgate.
Any chance of a lift up/back from Pennant Hills either Friday Night or very early Saturday morning would be appreciated.

I need to leave our car with the family so they can do stuff on Saturday.

Cheers
Brick

#106 Bernie G

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Joined: 22-September 04
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Sans Souci

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

Blue Dog, Seris and I will be starting from Caves House and we'll be heading off about 8ish.  We'll see you out the course somewhere :(

#107 Innes

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Joined: 11-January 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:St Ives chase

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

Looking forward to this one.
I will be parking on Caves road at turnoff for Black range and starting at 07:00am.

Innes

#108 Will

    almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Joined: 31-March 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Bondi, NSW

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

View PostBernie G, on Apr 15 2010, 12:03 PM, said:

Blue Dog, Seris and I will be starting from Caves House and we'll be heading off about 8ish.  We'll see you out the course somewhere :(

It looks like there isn't going to be any water drop. How much would you carry for this course? I was thinking 2L water plus 1.5L energy drink.

I plan on starting at 7am to avoid the heat and not come back too late in Sydney. I am planning on hitting the caves at 8am. Hopefully will catch up with you Bernie.

who else is starting at 7am?

#109 schoey

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined: 23-April 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Newcastle

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

I'm out :(


cortisone injection on wednesday hasn't fully kicked in yet...  I tried!  :(

#110 Innes

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Joined: 11-January 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:St Ives chase

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

View PostWill, on Apr 15 2010, 12:50 PM, said:

It looks like there isn't going to be any water drop. How much would you carry for this course? I was thinking 2L water plus 1.5L energy drink.

I plan on starting at 7am to avoid the heat and not come back too late in Sydney. I am planning on hitting the caves at 8am. Hopefully will catch up with you Bernie.

who else is starting at 7am?


Hmm.
will certainly make it interesting with no water drop...

My advice :
Make sure your very hydrated at the start, take a litre and drink it to caves house and then minimum of 2 litres there.
You may run out on the black range but weather conditions should mean this is not a huge issue.

#111 Will

    almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Joined: 31-March 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Bondi, NSW

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

View PostInnes, on Apr 15 2010, 03:56 PM, said:

Hmm.
will certainly make it interesting with no water drop...

My advice :
Make sure your very hydrated at the start, take a litre and drink it to caves house and then minimum of 2 litres there.
You may run out on the black range but weather conditions should mean this is not a huge issue.

Thanks Innes! I will carry 3.5L in total. this should be enough for the 35km from the caves.

#112 RawAussieAthlete

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined: 10-November 05
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Central Coast

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:33 PM

View Postschoey, on Apr 15 2010, 10:52 PM, said:

I'm out :(


cortisone injection on wednesday hasn't fully kicked in yet...  I tried!  :(

Sending you healing wishes for TNF100, Schoey!

#113 SlowManiac

    The Running Chimp

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Joined: 11-January 07
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Dee Why

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

Looks like everyone is starting all over the place!

I am going to camp. I think because of the rally I may park at Caves Rd crossing and start 7:30 ish. But I will see when I get there.

#114 Horrie

    keeps on keeping on

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts
  • Joined: 26-April 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Little Bay

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

Our plan is to start from the Caves Rd crossing at 7am. It would be good if we saw a few people at the start. :(

#115 Spud

    trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts
  • Joined: 25-March 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

Why is everyone starting at Caves rd crossing? Should be fine to park at the turn off Caves rd to Deviation. Only 1km to the campground.
Guess it depends on when you wanna run Deviation, at the start or at the finish??

I am of course assuming people are talking about the Caves rd crossing used during 6FT.

Either way we'll all see each other out there at some stage.

#116 Innes

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Joined: 11-January 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:St Ives chase

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

View PostSpud, on Apr 15 2010, 03:44 PM, said:

Why is everyone starting at Caves rd crossing? Should be fine to park at the turn off Caves rd to Deviation. Only 1km to the campground.
Guess it depends on when you wanna run Deviation, at the start or at the finish??

I am of course assuming people are talking about the Caves rd crossing used during 6FT.

Either way we'll all see each other out there at some stage.
Spud-
ignore my last PM, you just answered it.

#117 Spud

    trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts
  • Joined: 25-March 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:49 PM

cool bananas Innes

#118 Will

    almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Joined: 31-March 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Bondi, NSW

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:57 PM

View PostSpud, on Apr 15 2010, 06:44 PM, said:

Should be fine to park at the turn off Caves rd to Deviation. Only 1km to the campground.

This is what we will be doing with Brick and Rog. Park there and start at the "official start" at 7am.

What time are you starting spud?

Edited by Will, 16 April 2010 - 03:58 PM.


#119 Ponkey

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined: 28-April 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Potts Point

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

View PostBrick, on Apr 15 2010, 10:48 PM, said:

Change of plans, Buzz has just has a last minute change for work so will not be doing Hellgate.
Any chance of a lift up/back from Pennant Hills either Friday Night or very early Saturday morning would be appreciated.

I need to leave our car with the family so they can do stuff on Saturday.

Cheers
Brick
Just PMd you

#120 Animal

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined: 11-June 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Narrabeen, NSW

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

Have a top run all, can't believe i am missing out on this one. Seems like i may be out for a few weeks, got a foot injury which needs rest & further examination.

#121 Mister G

    Kosciuszko Deprivation Syndrome since 2005

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Joined: 16-June 02
  • Location:Wentworth Falls, Blue Mountains, NSW.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

I'll be hitching a lift up with Scam and the Welsh Exchange Student for an 8am start....

#122 terry

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined: 20-August 05
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:sydney

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

I am doing 12 foot Hellgate driving up soon i will be at deviation camp ground about 7 or 7.30 see you there :(

#123 Paul Every

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts
  • Joined: 13-May 03
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

I'm another non starter. Revised plans for tomorrow.

Have fun out there, everyone.

#124 shogun

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Joined: 16-September 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Ormiston, QLD

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

Decision made to head up with Scam. Looking forward to my first Hellgate...

#125 SlowManiac

    The Running Chimp

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Joined: 11-January 07
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Dee Why

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

Great day out there today, ran mostly with Cliffold, Ponkey and friend. Awesome conditions, lots of fun, the last climb did not disappoint. Can confirm team SWEAT are showing more cracks than 500 year old Chinese porcelain.

Can anyone confirm that Brick had to get rescued?

Didn't see Terry, did he do 12gate? (that sounds like a trail running scandal)

#126 Spud

    trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts
  • Joined: 25-March 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

View PostSlowManiac, on Apr 17 2010, 05:11 PM, said:

Can anyone confirm that Brick had to get rescued?

Wtf!!??

Missed you SM, we got a jump start on you, gone are the days of 7.05am fatass starts :(
Innes took off and I followed. Stayed together most of the way when I finally caught up to him going up Oaky.
Another splendid BMs day and how good is that climb out of Hell! Nearest we have to the Bogong climb here in NSW.
Will's french mate took out line honours (so to speak for 7am starters anyhow) after missing the turn off Kanangra to Blood Filly. He caught Innes and I just before the Black Range and smashed it home, very impressive running.

Great to see so many faces out there today, the BOTW guys (Raw Aussie, Nickelass and mate?) with home made sandals and 5fingers, crazy! Martin back at it and Trailpuddin smiling her way down to the Caves.
Didn't see Terry at all, caught Blue Dog, Bernie and Seris just before Kanangra Rd enjoying the day too.

Thanks for the company Innes, looking good for NF100 mate.

2P, you are a legend for creating this classic.

Edited by Spud, 17 April 2010 - 05:31 PM.


#127 SlowManiac

    The Running Chimp

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Joined: 11-January 07
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Dee Why

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

haha I guess I should say I am joking about Brick - I believe he did have to get in a car before the finish - but only cos his lift was leaving!

#128 Ourimbah

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Joined: 10-May 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Central Coast

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

View PostSlowManiac, on Apr 17 2010, 05:35 PM, said:

haha I guess I should say I am joking about Brick - I believe he did have to get in a car before the finish - but only cos his lift was leaving!


While you were out doing your socail thing I kept an eye on the other SWEAT member.Well for 2 minutes and 5 secs because thats how long it took BUZZ to run away from me.

Hope this doesn't mean I am dropped from the WE100 team..  

Great day for you guys,well done.

#129 Ponkey

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined: 28-April 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Potts Point

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

View PostSlowManiac, on Apr 17 2010, 05:11 PM, said:

Great day out there today, ran mostly with Cliffold, Ponkey and friend. Awesome conditions, lots of fun, the last climb did not disappoint. Can confirm team SWEAT are showing more cracks than 500 year old Chinese porcelain.

Can anyone confirm that Brick had to get rescued?

Didn't see Terry, did he do 12gate? (that sounds like a trail running scandal)
What a great course, Cliffold, Russell and I kept FKASM honest for much of the day before he took off for home in the last couple of kms. THAT climb is something else ! We caught Blue Dog and his travelling party on the big descent, we then paddled about in the river for a few minutes reflecting on how good life is. 35minutes later and THAT climb had be questioning my sanity ! Good to see Brick out on the trail, although I do hope the sweep car collected him after he crossed the finish line and not somewhere on Black Range ! The 3 BOTW contenders were spotted heading the wrong way when we saw them, after a quick course correction they continued on! I do hope they make it....... another runner who had FKASM and I a little worried was a runner spotted doing the course in reverse after setting off in the wrong direction. That will make his navigation home a little tough. Home and hosed in 6hrs 6minutes and certainly know about it ! Only disappointment of the day was not seeing seeing a platypus as promised by FKASM. Whilst his running was in good shape, his promises are on rocky ground. We did see a dead wallaby floating in the top of the stream, so DONT drink the water! The boys also saw a pretty healthy Eastern Brown snake.

Something of note is that the pressure of captaining Grass is Greener in two weeks seems to playing on FKASM's mind ! Good luck on your sub 12hr course record prediction!

Will definitely be back to do this one again.

#130 Brick

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined: 13-November 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Pennant Hills, NSW

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

View PostSlowManiac, on Apr 17 2010, 05:35 PM, said:

haha I guess I should say I am joking about Brick - I believe he did have to get in a car before the finish - but only cos his lift was leaving!
This is going to end in tears.
I have my lawyers on the job already.

View PostPonkey, on Apr 17 2010, 06:07 PM, said:

What a great course, Cliffold, Russell and I kept FKASM honest for much of the day before he took off for home in the last couple of kms. THAT climb is something else ! We caught Blue Dog and his travelling party on the big descent, we then paddled about in the river for a few minutes reflecting on how good life is. 35minutes later and THAT climb had be questioning my sanity ! Good to see Brick out on the trail, although I do hope the sweep car collected him after he crossed the finish line and not somewhere on Black Range ! The 3 BOTW contenders were spotted heading the wrong way when we saw them, after a quick course correction they continued on! I do hope they make it....... another runner who had FKASM and I a little worried was a runner spotted doing the course in reverse after setting off in the wrong direction. That will make his navigation home a little tough. Home and hosed in 6hrs 6minutes and certainly know about it ! Only disappointment of the day was not seeing seeing a platypus as promised by FKASM. Whilst his running was in good shape, his promises are on rocky ground. We did see a dead wallaby floating in the top of the stream, so DONT drink the water! The boys also saw a pretty healthy Eastern Brown snake.

Something of note is that the pressure of captaining Grass is Greener in two weeks seems to playing on FKASM's mind ! Good luck on your sub 12hr course record prediction!

Will definitely be back to do this one again.
I did make it all the way back to Black range camp ground you can ask Shogun, thanks for thinking nice thought mate.
I also managed to get most of the way back to the road so extra KMs not to mention the 3.2km run at 3:55 am to get picked up and the 3.1km run home after being dropped off.
So for the day that makes:
Run 3.2+46.54+.7+3.1
And the 1km walk to Black range camp ground from the parked car at the road.

Is that enough Mr SlowManiac. :(

#131 Horrie

    keeps on keeping on

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts
  • Joined: 26-April 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Little Bay

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

Thanks 2P for creating a masterpiece. That is without a doubt the best day's running I have ever done. The views as we descended into Jenolan Valley were magical.

You are not wrong about starting promptly Spud. BlueBel and I got to the Deviation Campground just after 7.10 and only Terry was sighted after starting at Megalong Rd doing a slightly shorter 83km Twelvegate option. We started with Terry and he got away from us on the descent into Jenolan Caves. We caught back up to him after he made sure he had enough water as he would not be able to refill until getting back to Cox's River. He stayed with us until the climb up the ridge to make sure we knew where we were going. Just after starting the climb, Shogun and his mate caught us and then after the climb Tim2 caught us on the fire trail. We were waiting for Andrew Lee to run past us next to make up all the podium finishers from 2009 TNF100. As we headed up Kanangra Rd we noticed Terry up ahead. He waited at the intersection of the Blood Filly Firetrail to again make sure we knew where we were heading. We ran with him and he made sure we didn't miss the left turns that led us onto the Moorara Boss fire trail. We caught up to Martin Dugdale at this point and I commented to him it was great that he had made it this far without getting lost. :( The 4 of us stayed together until we hit the long descent to the Jenolan River. Terry finally opened up his stride and was soon out of sight as he was hoping to get back to Megalong Rd before dark. Thanks for your company Terry and ensuring we didn't get lost. We really appreciated it. We then dropped Martin as the surface of the descent got a bit looser. As mentioned earlier, the descent was great. The scenery was mystical with the afternoon sun filtering through. We hit the river, had a feed and got ready for the climb out that BlueBel had warned me about. The climb was never ending and Terry's estimation of it lasting at least an hour was not wrong. We maintained a good steady pace and were happy that we maintained a solid pace throughout. We were happy when it finally flattened out and we were able to run again. We made a pact to each other that we would run all the way back to Deviation campground. We were very happy to do this and finally got back in 7:22. After speaking to Shogun and his mate, we walked back to our car which we parked near Caves Rd to ensure the car rally didn't stop us from gettiing out. We saw Trailpuddin who was very happy with her run before heading home.

It was a shame we didn't see more people out on the trail but had a wonderful day anyway. It felt so good we can't wait to do it again. :(

#132 Innes

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Joined: 11-January 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:St Ives chase

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

View PostSpud, on Apr 16 2010, 05:27 PM, said:

Thanks for the company Innes, looking good for NF100 mate.

Ditto Spud, had a blast out there and the day seemed to fly by.
Looking good for hardrock mate after a tough week.

Hopeing Terry and the BOTW guys all get home safely.

2P - this is one of the classics.

BTW - 2 litres water from jenolan cave ran out 4 k before finish which was pretty good.

Well done Brick - see you at TNF  :(

#133 seris

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Joined: 06-March 06
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Northern beaches Sydney

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

View PostPonkey, on Apr 17 2010, 07:07 PM, said:

What a great course, Cliffold, Russell and I kept FKASM honest for much of the day before he took off for home in the last couple of kms. THAT climb is something else ! We caught Blue Dog and his travelling party on the big descent, we then paddled about in the river for a few minutes reflecting on how good life is. 35minutes later and THAT climb had be questioning my sanity !

..... another runner who had FKASM and I a little worried was a runner spotted doing the course in reverse after setting off in the wrong direction. That will make his navigation home a little tough.
Just another great weekend with Dog and Bernie. The $30 bed at Caves House has to be better than camping or driving up early.
The best part of the day was paddling in the river and drinking those beers someone stashed in the cool river water before the climb. Yep, life is good. :(
Cliffold and I had no problems with the climb..... must have been the company (or the beer?), thanks Martin. Seriously, that climb wasn't so bad?
The guy doing the reverse did ok! We saw him coming up from Caves. We also were concerned for the slip and slide he must have had down to the river, he said even if he missed the ridge, he would end up down at the river and just walk along it... smart guy, but lonely day.
Tough day, would be a really good tough day if it started and finished at Jenolan Caves...... bit lonely with no cheers and beers at the end.

#134 Martin Dugdale

    Trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Joined: 22-May 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Baulkham Hills

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

well this was a bit of a test to see how much my fitness had declined after an enforced training layoff of three months and very little since.
the results are almost in but biased by a devasting loss and then a near miraculous recovery.
set up camp on Friday afternoon, bit surprised not to see Terry there  but as I was about to set off to set up a water drop. Trailpuddin  showed up so parked and we set off in her 4wd to Kanagra rd.
back and get organised for the evening. eat and a bit later slowmaniac shows up and after a bit of chat all retire. some noise a bit later and a new tent in the morning  as the 100k crowd arrive
in the morning I break camp and drive down to the caves rd crossing point for 6ft. and start there at 7.00am
get down almost to caves house before the first early starters go past includin Spud and Trailpuddin
then it is off along the river path and then up the mountain. ho hum here we go again 43 minutes this year but its still hard work.
more people coming pas as I move out to Kanangra rd and after getting there I look to my bottle pouch and notice with a sinking heart that my car keys are no longer clipped  in the pouch. Decisions, no point in going back, no phone reception until I get onto the black range so suck it up and carry on. shared my grief wit Justdidit and pushed on very slowly, I am much less fit than anticipated. onto the BF fire trail  and start moving a bit faster, a few people come past including Tim2
eventually get tp the big descent and heres Terry whos has run from Megalong on an 83 k day, more power to you mate and soon after th Horriebel show. I try to keep up but
it starst getting painfull when I an only about halfway down the mountain so have to back off, shuffle and walk downhill. shame :(
eventually get to the river and Scambullant and MrG  and then power past and the its that bloody mountain ascent again. this year it really hurts  and it takes me 1.46 from the river to the black range.
but now I have mobile coverage so text trailpuddin to appraise her of my woes
trudge along the black range and just as I get to the Warlock trail head here is a screaming wrx with justdidit at the wheel, and he has got good news some trekkers have found my car keys but because they are heading east to the start of 6ft , they have given them to another group of trekkers heading to Jenolan.
Kieran please can I get rescued is my response to this data and it happens.  we arrive at Caves House to find that Trailpuddin has interrogated all the guides as is about to start searching all arrivals. happily the keeper of my key identifies himself and I can bin all the doomsday scenarios

many thanks to all concerned :(

Edited by Martin Dugdale, 17 April 2010 - 10:30 PM.


#135 SallyL

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined: 24-September 07
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Paddington

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:58 AM

View PostHorrie, on Apr 17 2010, 07:38 PM, said:

Thanks 2P for creating a masterpiece. That is without a doubt the best day's running I have ever done. The views as we descended into Jenolan Valley were magical.

You are not wrong about starting promptly Spud. BlueBel and I got to the Deviation Campground just after 7.10 and only Terry was sighted after starting at Megalong Rd doing a slightly shorter 83km Twelvegate option. We started with Terry and he got away from us on the descent into Jenolan Caves. We caught back up to him after he made sure he had enough water as he would not be able to refill until getting back to Cox's River. He stayed with us until the climb up the ridge to make sure we knew where we were going. Just after starting the climb, Shogun and his mate caught us and then after the climb Tim2 caught us on the fire trail. We were waiting for Andrew Lee to run past us next to make up all the podium finishers from 2009 TNF100. As we headed up Kanangra Rd we noticed Terry up ahead. He waited at the intersection of the Blood Filly Firetrail to again make sure we knew where we were heading. We ran with him and he made sure we didn't miss the left turns that led us onto the Moorara Boss fire trail. We caught up to Martin Dugdale at this point and I commented to him it was great that he had made it this far without getting lost. :( The 4 of us stayed together until we hit the long descent to the Jenolan River. Terry finally opened up his stride and was soon out of sight as he was hoping to get back to Megalong Rd before dark. Thanks for your company Terry and ensuring we didn't get lost. We really appreciated it. We then dropped Martin as the surface of the descent got a bit looser. As mentioned earlier, the descent was great. The scenery was mystical with the afternoon sun filtering through. We hit the river, had a feed and got ready for the climb out that BlueBel had warned me about. The climb was never ending and Terry's estimation of it lasting at least an hour was not wrong. We maintained a good steady pace and were happy that we maintained a solid pace throughout. We were happy when it finally flattened out and we were able to run again. We made a pact to each other that we would run all the way back to Deviation campground. We were very happy to do this and finally got back in 7:22. After speaking to Shogun and his mate, we walked back to our car which we parked near Caves Rd to ensure the car rally didn't stop us from gettiing out. We saw Trailpuddin who was very happy with her run before heading home.

It was a shame we didn't see more people out on the trail but had a wonderful day anyway. It felt so good we can't wait to do it again. :(
Hey Horrie,
We were out there but hardly saw anyone either! Tony G, Adi, Andy, Tony C, Scott and I started from the camp ground at 8am. There were a few other Coolrunners heading off at that time including Keiran and Martin D. I was looking forward to catching up with Cliffold after missing him at Skinny Arse last week.
It took Tony G, Adi And I just over 7 hours including a 20 min lunch break just before the loose descent.
Wow, what an amazing run.
Sallyl

Edited by SallyL, 18 April 2010 - 08:07 AM.


#136 Spud

    trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts
  • Joined: 25-March 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

View PostMartin Dugdale, on Apr 17 2010, 10:27 PM, said:

..... happily the keeper of my key identifies himself and I can bin all the doomsday scenarios


Never a dull moment at the Hellgate for you Martin!

#137 Brick

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined: 13-November 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Pennant Hills, NSW

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

I never added a time I finished in 6:38 which I was happy about.
The PF hurt a bit going down the steep hill to the river and again up the other side but stopped hurting again as I got onto Black Range which all makes me still want to do TNF100 in 4 weeks time.

To back up today at SMC with a sub 45 minute 10km and no pain is also a good sign that the PF is getting better.
Still feel an ache but not pain any more.

Thanks Rog/Will for the company for most of the day and the lift up and back.

#138 trailpuddin

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Joined: 14-April 08
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:The shed! at the overpriced campground

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

I have a friend who has a bit of a reputation for getting lost.  I think some of you might know him.   :(
At the campsite the night beforehand I took the opportunity to ensure the directions were firmly drilled into his memory - all lefts after blood filly (now named the Thomas Turn)...etc.  All seemed ready to go.  This year he was going to throw the jinx of getting lost.  Little did I know he would be taking his skill to a new level.  JustDidIt caught up with me going up the big hill and told me that Dugdale had lost his marbles  ..oops I mean car keys.  Fortunately the bush telegraph worked wonders and through a series of chain messages through runners, walkers and a little kid with an icey pole, the keys were eventually located.  Next year I will duct taping everything to Martin before he leaves the carpark.

Apart from all that martin - WELL DONE!!! - great come back tour.  Knocking over hellgate after 3 months off is a mighty fine effort and a good sign of things to come.  

I had a mighty fine day out.  It was a good plan starting out ahead of the pack.  I got to see a lot of the later runners as they over took me.  Also seeing Tim2 et al effortlessly cruise up the big hill was quite inspiring.  I don't usually get to see that sort of stuff at the back.

Spent a short time running with the BOTW's just before the Moorara turnoff.  After they reassured me for the 50th time that they were well prepared for what they were heading into I let them on their way. They promised to post as soon as the got back, has anyone heard anything?

I've contemplated whether Hellgate or Solitary is the best run in the Blue Mtn / Kanangra region.  I've got to say Hellgate wins out (better run and hide from Terry after making such sacrilegious comments :().  The boulders, vegetation, changing environment, sweeping views, mega-hills.  This run has everything and the tourists are confined to a very small area.  Wish the same could be said about the dirt bikes.

Back to my car in 7.5hrs with plenty of time spent chatting and taking in the views.  A full hour quicker than last year.  I was quite happy about the result after 6ft where I had a rubbish run and wondered if I had managed to build any strength in the past year.

See you all at Wild Endurance in 2 weeks!

K

#139 cliffold

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Joined: 03-November 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Launceston Tasmania

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

Thanks 2p, that was indeed a great route for a run
Ran with Brick, Rog & Will to the bush bash start then Ponkey & Russel with FKASM handling the navigation  
Got see MartinD then Trailpuddin guarding her stash of drinks
Loved that incredibly long downhill to the river with stunning views of the gorge
Good to see Dog & Bernie out there & the walk up the other side with Seris passed quickly

Pity to miss Horrie & Bluebel, always figured they were in front
SallyL, sorry to miss you once again, there's no way the guys I was with would let me have a 20 min lunch stop :(

Guess I made it back in about 6:30 but unusually struggled the last few km

Would also like to know the 100kers made it back ok

#140 terry

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined: 20-August 05
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:sydney

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

Its good to see so many people enjoying this run it really is some nice trail running. As a few have said i started and finished at megalong rd and have named it 10 foot Hellgate 83km in 13.5 hours.
Enjoyed running with Horrie and Bluebell and good to see Martin back on the trail.
I dont mind you saying you like this run TP it is my second favourite.

#141 Martin Dugdale

    Trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Joined: 22-May 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Baulkham Hills

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

So still no news on the BOTW  trio. has anybody heard from them or are they still out there?

#142 Will

    almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Joined: 31-March 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Bondi, NSW

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

Great day out in the mountains. This run is really one the if not the best I have done. Tough, beautiful scenery, and perfect weather. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Early start, with a wake up at 3am to make it to deviation for a 7am start.

I think about 10 of us started at 7am. Spud and Innes took off like rabbits and I told my friend Sylvain to stay with them if he didn't want to get lost.

We settled into a comfortable pace with Brick & Rog. We stayed together for most of the way. We crossed the Jenolan river and started up the hill. After about 500m, I almost stepped on a nice 1.5m eastern brown snake. I think I jumped about 1m up high in the air...Brick just walked past it without seeing it. Nice to way to get the heart going. From there to the finish, I was paranoid about every stick and branch on the ground. We passed Blue Dog, Bernie and Seris going up the hill. I felt pretty good at that stage and pulled away along the climb and finished on my own.
The black range section was really tough and I ran out of water about 3km from the finish. I still ram most of the way. I was happy to stop the watch just before 6:15 at the deviation camp ground. I drank about a litre at the tank and ran back to the car.

Thanks to Ponkey and his friend for the pizza slice. That was awesome!

Blue Dog, Sylvain gave me a call and asked me to thank you for putting him back on the right track. He really appreciated it! He finished in 5:30 after doing a few extra km, it is looking good for him at NF100.

Thanks to Rog for the lift and Brick for the company.

#143 ScamBullant

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Joined: 16-May 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Blue Mts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

Certainly a most enjoyable section of the Mountains to head out for a run, matched equally on this day for the weather provided. Drove up with Shogun and Mr G for the original 8am start out of the camp ground (will offer multitudes of praise to anyone who can persuade Mr G that an early start is a good idea).

Shogun and Justdidit soon departed our company as they shot out in front and SallyL et al spent much of the day floating behind and in front. At times some were even in front but behind failing taking the time to check out extra parts of Kanangra Rd. A brief moment of co-clarification of a tight left turn lead to a moment of perplexion. As a floating head appeared from behind a log reassuring us that it was in fact the right way and that having completed his nap he too would rejoin the run in that very direction.

Through all this spent a most enjoyable 4hrs and a bit talking to Mr G as we made our way round to the start of the descent to Jenolan River. The surrounding ridge lines and gully's made this a remarkable section, with Mr G pointing out the incredible nature of the gorge given it's creation through wear and tear applied by the little creek we had seen 3hrs earlier just out of Jenolan Caves.

Paced it individually to the creek were I found Martin contemplating the suitability of the river side for lunch. Joined him in digestion as I briefly awaited Mr G and having regrouped settled into a phase of Vstar inspired walk with purpose back out of the gorge. Two more regroups and shortly back onto the black range for the final section home.

Following the disaster of the Black Range in 6ft I mentioned to Mr G I may run a bit. To be met with the most enlightened reply of "ok you go ahead I might just think about things a bit". Happy to have redeemed myself along here managing a comfortable run all the way back to the cars.

Very happy with the day out for both the nature of the course and the confidence of a descent long run after a couple of off weeks. Learnt masses about pacing early thanks to Mr G and am now filled with story's of Ultra courses the world over. Also glad Shogun only spent 20mins to find the stashed keys as my 6hrs 53mins would have had him sitting around for a long time cold in wet clothing.

#144 Nickelass

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Joined: 23-January 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:48 AM

View PostMartin Dugdale, on Apr 18 2010, 07:43 PM, said:

So still no news on the BOTW  trio. has anybody heard from them or are they still out there?
RawAussieAthlete and I finished up at Jenolan about 10:30pm on Saturday.

The short version (more to come later):
  • Wadeye ended up completing the Hellgate and opted out of the BOTW
  • Made it to Kanangra in just under 9 hours
  • RawAussieAthlete going slow up hills on return due to injury
  • Missed track on return and ended up on Kanangra Rd
  • Returned to Jenloan - avoiding hellgate due to time constraints

Had a great run with great company.  The run out to Kanangra was a dream almost perfect running conditions.  Ended up with about 95-100K for the full run.

Looks like somebody else will get the chance to crack BOTW.

Edited by Nickelass, 19 April 2010 - 09:49 AM.


#145 Twopennys

    Attention to detrail

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Joined: 09-December 01
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Concord

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

Ahhh does me spirit good to read all these reports - well done everyone.

Cheers, 2P :(

#146 EverReadyBunny

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Joined: 08-September 07
  • Sex:Female

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

Nickelass glad to see you guys made it out !

#147 RawAussieAthlete

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined: 10-November 05
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Central Coast

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

View PostNickelass, on Apr 18 2010, 07:48 PM, said:

RawAussieAthlete going slow up hills on return due to injury

Not an injury. More a glute malfunction.
I'd never run more than 3 hours in 5Fingers before, and had no feet issues whatsoever...
even with several creek crossings on the out and back that mandated wet feet.
Didn't use any tape, bandaids or blister prevention other than the Injinji socks and 5s.
With 5s (or true barefooting) some muscles need more development than shoes will require. Until the muscles develop they do more work than they are used to.
My glutes weren't quite ready to smash out a solid 100km.
Thanks to Nickelass for being patient as I took it easy up the hills on return from Kenangra so my glutes didn't cramp, allowing me to run most flats and downs.

Our alternate 100km course took 15h 40m.

Running down the switchbacks of the road into Jenolan Caves was interesting in 5Fingers after a day's running! My feet were so stimulated by the endless massage. Quite an amazing experience. Can't wait to do more ultras in 5s or similar.

As always, navigation in the dark using directions in reverse is easy to mess up.
Absolutely beautiful run on all accounts.
I'm definitely keen to complete BOTW next year.

Grant

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 07 May 2010 - 03:14 PM.