11 replies to this topic

#1 Autumn

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:50 AM

I'm just getting my kms back up after injuring my back last year (at work, not running) and am aiming to do my first half marathon at the end of March.

At the end of last week I did an 8km run (2 x 4km, with a strech and walking recovery in the middle). When I stopped for this mid-run breather I noticed a funny metallic taste in my mouth but it seemed to go away once I started running again and I didn't notice it during my cool down.

Yesterday I did my first 10km run since my injury (yipee!!!!) and when I took a breather at the 5km mark to strectch out my calves I noticed the same metallic taste. Again it wasn't present after the run.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm wondering is it a sign of some nutrient deficincy or similar?

#2 Prozac

CoolRunner

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

View PostAutumn, on Jan 18 2010, 08:50 AM, said:

I'm just getting my kms back up after injuring my back last year (at work, not running) and am aiming to do my first half marathon at the end of March.

At the end of last week I did an 8km run (2 x 4km, with a strech and walking recovery in the middle). When I stopped for this mid-run breather I noticed a funny metallic taste in my mouth but it seemed to go away once I started running again and I didn't notice it during my cool down.

Yesterday I did my first 10km run since my injury (yipee!!!!) and when I took a breather at the 5km mark to strectch out my calves I noticed the same metallic taste. Again it wasn't present after the run.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm wondering is it a sign of some nutrient deficincy or similar?
Hi Autumn,
I've had a similar experience after running, but not while running. I find it happens when I am really dehydrated. I cannot tell you what causes it, but hopefully someone knows. Good luck with your return.

#3 Jason M

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

Autmun, do you take any medication? Possible side effect of a few meds.

#4 Louise

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Hey, another Bendigonian!  I wondered if it might be a detox symptom of some sort, so I googled "metallic taste in mouth" Lots of interesting stuff in the results...

(you're not pregnant are you?)

#5 Autumn

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

No, I'm not taking any medication and am not pregnant. Will have to check out that link - thanks Louise   :good:

#6 runningaway

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

I always thought it was lactic acid (or blood) that had made its way up from my lungs- I always get it after I have REALLY exerted myself.
(not preggers either!)

#7 FatboyCsaba

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

View PostAutumn, on Jan 18 2010, 07:50 AM, said:

At the end of last week I did an 8km run (2 x 4km, with a strech and walking recovery in the middle). When I stopped for this mid-run breather I noticed a funny metallic taste in my mouth

Carbon water filters are impregnated with nano silver. The nano silver is leeching into the water you drink in a quantity. Is this your problem?

#8 Autumn

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

I just drink tap water so I don't think a water filter is the issue either. I had some dental work done a few weeks ago but looking online they say that shouldn't cause a metallic taste. It is weird because they only times I've noticed it is when I stop for a stretch mid-run.

#9 Jonnoo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

I'm so glad someone finally raised this thread and issue, thanks Autumn.  I did a search a few weeks ago of CR for something about this metallic taste - without success.  
I definitely get it, but only after a hard session or race.  Normal tempo training I don't get it.  It will last for about 5 minutes after stopping and then go away. I never get it during running, or not that I notice anyway.  It's such a strange phenomenon and a "metallic taste" is the best way to describe it.  

If anyone has any possible explanation I would love to hear it!  I'll also look at the google search results as linked above.

#10 maryclaire

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

I only ever had a metallic taste in my mouth in the early stages of pregnancy - and having been there 10 times, I can definitely attest that it is a sign of impending parenthood.  

Maybe something to do with zinc levels??? (that's a wild guess)

#11 Emrun

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

View Postrunningaway, on Jan 18 2010, 03:10 PM, said:

I always thought it was lactic acid (or blood) that had made its way up from my lungs- I always get it after I have REALLY exerted myself.
(not preggers either!)

Same here, I only get it after I've pretty much exerted myself to the max, mostly after I've done a 1500 and I am coughing up a lung so I've always assumed it was blood, Lovely huh!

#12 Autumn

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

I just did a 5km fartlek session and noticed the taste again but this time during the cool down. The consistent thing over the last week seems to be that the taste appears at about the 25-30 minute mark of my workout but I don't notice it whilst running, only when I stop to stretch or cool down. Very weird. I've never experienced this when running in the past, it seems to be a new development since having 7-8 months off running with a back injury.