Videos Of Australian Races From Years Gone ByLooking for old videos from Melb Marathon, C2S, GCM etc

• You cannot reply to this topic
62 replies to this topic

#1 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

I am looking for any old videos of Australian running events from years gone by.

I am particularly after Melbourne Marathon footage from the late 1970's and 1980's or any similar Melbourne running events from the last millenium. I do recall seeing the Olympic Dream televised on the ABC from the early 90's also. If anyone has any old tapes and would be able to copy them for me then it would be much appreciated. I am hoping to add them to my youtube channel. Digger has been good enough to share a lot of footage of old races on youtube but I am hoping to upload entire races, broken up into various parts as youtube only allows 10 minutes per upload.

I would also be seeking any old C2S or Gold Coast Marathons from the 80's and 90's.

Please let me know if you might be able to help.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Digger

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:35 PM

View PostGrechy, on Jan 21 2010, 07:20 PM, said:

I am looking for any old videos of Australian running events from years gone by.

I am particularly after Melbourne Marathon footage from the late 1970's and 1980's or any similar Melbourne running events from the last millenium. I do recall seeing the Olympic Dream televised on the ABC from the early 90's also. If anyone has any old tapes and would be able to copy them for me then it would be much appreciated. I am hoping to add them to my youtube channel. Digger has been good enough to share a lot of footage of old races on youtube but I am hoping to upload entire races, broken up into various parts as youtube only allows 10 minutes per upload.

I would also be seeking any old C2S or Gold Coast Marathons from the 80's and 90's.

Please let me know if you might be able to help.

I just remembered that I have the video's of 'Host City Marathon', and the 2000 C2S somewhere.  Must dig them out.

#3 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:53 AM

So far I have managed to get hold of the 1986 Melbourne Marathon and I have began uploading it.

Here is part 1:

Here is some footage of a well known Melbourne running identity from back in his heyday:

Here is a scene from movie set around the Victorian athletics scene from the 1950's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfftNYUws9A

#4 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

Grechy,

You have actually motivated me to do some more converting to DVD.

Email me your address, so I can start to send you some DVD's.

digger@ozemail.com.au

#5 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

View PostDigger, on Apr 13 2010, 07:29 AM, said:

Grechy,

You have actually motivated me to do some more converting to DVD.

Email me your address, so I can start to send you some DVD's.

digger@ozemail.com.au

Thanks Digger, as you know I would kill to get my hands on any old MM videos. Hopefully soon I will have more youtube clips of people we know back in their heyday.

I am now making a habit of recording every running event that is shown on TV just for my collection. I even recorded the Stawell Gift!

#6 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

Here is part of the project Grechy, myself and others are working on, by loading as many 'Australian Running Video's' as possible up to youtube:

Click for the 1983 Canberra Marathon :Praying:

So if you have some video's somewhere, get them to us, or load them up yourself.

#7 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

Hey, I think I saw Bob Fickel in Part 1 at about 4.23 minutes.

What number marathon was that Bob.

r2w

#8 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts
    Annecy, France

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

Subject, no doubt, to the laws of copyright.

After all, Grechy old chap, you wouldn't want any more 'take down' notices from youtube, would you?

#9 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

View PostBellthorpe, on Jun 8 2010, 04:52 AM, said:

After all, Grechy old chap, you wouldn't want any more 'take down' notices from youtube, would you?

What has Grechy been posting on youtube?

I thought my youtube channel was sailing a bit close to the wind, but I am custodian of all known MM video's, and I do have copyright approval to use Comrades material.

#10 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

View PostDigger, on Jun 8 2010, 10:01 PM, said:

What has Grechy been posting on youtube?

I thought my youtube channel was sailing a bit close to the wind, but I am custodian of all known MM video's, and I do have copyright approval to use Comrades material.

Digger dont take any notice of him, Bellthorpe has wayyyyy too much time on his hands.

I have never had any take down notices actually. I have had audio disabled once or twice due to a song being included in a clip but that happens to everyone.

There will always be someone who wants to spoil the fun for everyone else. As mentioned before, this is a running forum, not a copyright forum. Sadly there are some people who give cool running a "cool whinging" reputation.

#11 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts
    Annecy, France

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

So Grechy, you posted this in February:

Just an update on this, I have already had a request to remove this video from youtube so I will have to remove it within a few days. Please have a look during the next 48 hours while you have a chance.

and you posted this today:

I have never had any take down notices actually

I will leave it to other readers to draw their own conclusions.

Digger, Grechy has the view that copyright law does not apply to him. He posts commercial videos into the public domain illegally.

#12 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

View PostBellthorpe, on Jun 9 2010, 10:06 AM, said:

So Grechy, you posted this in February:

and you posted this today:

I will leave it to other readers to draw their own conclusions.

Digger, Grechy has the view that copyright law does not apply to him. He posts commercial videos into the public domain illegally.

Bellthorpe, get a life will you.

The request to take that video down came from the person who created it. It was not an official request from youtube or anything like that.

Dont you have something better to do? I created this thread to generate interest in old running videos, not to start up an argument about copyright.

Please Bellthorpe can you go somewhere else? How about you start your own thread about something? We are here to talk about running videos.

#13 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

About 18 months to 2 years ago, youtube used to disable copyright audio tracks, and send me severe warnings about copyright TV programmes I have uploaded sections on, but now I just get a reminder that I maybe have loaded something somebody copyrighted.

This is a mine field, but providing we are not making a profit from it, it will be difficult to prove 'Loss of Revenue', and if anything, the new youtube approach of giving an itunes link to the audio actually gives the copyright holder more exposure and a chance to make more money if people like what they hear and buy it.

So we are actually providing a service to the copyright holders.

I also never cut the 'credits' etc, so there is no way others can believe that I am representing the copyrighted material as my own original work.

And if the credits don't exist, in the description, I include the original source.

Yes, in my real life, I have had to defend(successfully), a plagiarism case.

So the question is:

Do we want this thread to deteriorate into the pro's and con's of the International copyright laws?

Or

Do we want this thread to show case the proud running history of Australia, unknown to most CR members younger than 30yo, or who only took up running in the last few years.

:Praying:

#14 jpol3692

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

keep it up with the old videos, fascinating stuff. Though the running shorts in the 'old days' were a bit naff I must say...

#15 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

Bellthorpe said:

Nearly all the videos I was talking about on the Canberra 1983 thread were recorded from TV programs and not surprisingly most feature Bruce McAvaney as the lead commentator. I made my offer assuming that copyright was now a non-issue given that it seems to be that "anything goes" with the internet. I'm not a YouTube "surfer" at all so have no idea what's already been put there.

Grechy's replies haven't exactly filled me with confidence that everything's going to be all right. Also, I did send him a PM a couple of days ago and haven't heard back.

#16 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

View Postcrowpower, on Jun 10 2010, 08:18 AM, said:

Nearly all the videos I was talking about on the Canberra 1983 thread were recorded from TV programs and not surprisingly most feature Bruce McAvaney as the lead commentator. I made my offer assuming that copyright was now a non-issue given that it seems to be that "anything goes" with the internet. I'm not a YouTube "surfer" at all so have no idea what's already been put there.

Grechy's replies haven't exactly filled me with confidence that everything's going to be all right. Also, I did send him a PM a couple of days ago and haven't heard back.

Hi Crowpower, sorry for the late response to your PM. As mentioned in it, Bellthorpe is just trying to spoil our fun. We are doing no harm in uploading old videos as they are not available in stores so we are not exactly ripping off anyone. Digger has uploaded several old videos and I bet he has never upset anyone in doing it. I also bet he has never had any law enforcers knocking on his door about copyright relating to these videos. If he was uploading the latest movie or something that is commercially available then perhaps it might get taken down but old running videos will do no harm and several of us will enjoy them.

As previously mentioned, this is a thread about old videos, not a thread about the laws of copyright  :rolleyes:

#17 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

View PostDigger, on Jun 9 2010, 11:07 AM, said:

So the question is:

Do we want this thread to deteriorate into the pro's and con's of the International copyright laws?

Or

Do we want this thread to show case the proud running history of Australia, unknown to most CR members younger than 30yo, or who only took up running in the last few years.

:rolleyes:

Very well said.

#18 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

I have on my desk a video, which purports to be:

The 1982 Commonwealth Games Marathon,

In Full.

Can't wait to get it home and check it out, and see how complete it is. :rolleyes:

#19 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

View PostDigger, on Jun 10 2010, 03:46 PM, said:

I have on my desk a video, which purports to be:

The 1982 Commonwealth Games Marathon,

In Full.

Can't wait to get it home and check it out, and see how complete it is. :rolleyes:

that be great too watch again. i was one of many whipper snappers in the opening ceremony holding the placards up & watching Matilda going around. great memories

#20 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

View Postredbackrun, on Jun 10 2010, 12:15 AM, said:

that be great too watch again. i was one of many whipper snappers in the opening ceremony holding the placards up & watching Matilda going around. great memories

I have the lot, I'm now watching it, and they are approaching halfway.

ABC telecast, commercial free.

Commentators, Tim Lane, Herb Elliot and Dave Power.

#21 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:12 PM

Digger said:

I have the lot, I'm now watching it, and they are approaching halfway.
I know who won but I won't give it away!

A mate had that 1982 marathon on video and I recall borrowing it about 10 years ago to watch. Recently I asked him if I could borrow it again and he said he'd taped over it, something about his daughter needed a soapie taped urgently. Can you believe that?

Anyway, I've arranged to send to Grechy the 1988 City to Surf. What a great race that was, just weeks before the Seoul Olympics and featuring most of the greats, Steve Monaghetti, Andy Lloyd, Brad Camp, Jim Andrews, Lisa Martin, Tani Ruckle plus some overseas runners and you get to see Chris Wardlaw around 49 minutes and some old footage of a scruffy bearded Deek winning in 1977 I think.

#22 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

Deeks is closing at the 30km mark.

#23 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

Bonus,

Not only has the tape got the Marathon in Full, plus the Medal presentation, but it has the 3 heats and final of the Mens 1500metres

#24 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:56 AM

Have received some great footage courtesy of crowpower.

A great video of the 1983 MM featuring interviews with the punters on their way to Frankston by train. There is probably someone we know being interviewed but as its 27 years old, people look a bit different these days.

Also an awesome entire broadcast of the 1988 C2S with Moneghetti winning in style. I will be sure to put some of that on youtube.

Amongst it all was some news footage of the Adelaide Marathon from 1988 with crowpower finishing in third place behind two Victorians!!

Thanks for sharing Crowpower  :rolleyes: ;)

#25 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:37 AM

I'm glad you like them Grechy. What is interesting are the different aspects of everyday life in 1983 - the cars, people's dress and hairstyles, absence of mobile phones and IPods and also the runners themselves (apart from being much younger).  :rolleyes:

I remember that 1988 Adelaide Marathon well as I was in about 10th place at halfway and kept on getting reports from spectators who knew me that they were dropping off like flies up front and at 38km I was in fourth place and knew I'd pass the guy not far ahead. Nine minutes behind second place is a bit embarrassing but I'll take it anytime!

#26 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

I have uploaded them already.

Here is part 1 of the 1988 C2S

Here is part 1 of the 1983 MM

Here is the news footage of the 1988 Adelaide Marathon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwtAu3XMF3A

Make sure you let us know if you recognise yourself or any of your friends.

If you have any old running videos that you would like to have uploaded and you are unsure of how to do it, please send them to me and I will do it!!

#27 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

Excellent editing Grechy. It's amazing to see the quality of the images, just like on TV. The 1988 C2S and Adelaide Marathon were on at the same time so Grechy got all the ads as well.

I'll get to work on the list of other tapes I have.

Edited by crowpower, 20 June 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#28 YumHallucinogens

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

Wonderful stuff, guys. Much appreciated. Keep them coming.

#29 DrJH

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

I liked that '88 City to Surf. Pity I couldn't hang on a bit longer!

#30 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

I also have the 1990 City To Surf, all five of the Sydney Australian Marathons (variously WANG, Budget, Westfield) 1983-87 and a couple of track runs by Deek in 1983 - the Zatopek 10000m (great event) and soon after he ran a 5000m in Adelaide. Also a video produced of the 1984 Festival City Marathon for the SARRC, which I had forgotten about and some other mid 1980s footage of marathons in Adelaide, usually won by interstaters.

Grechy this list is taking me a while because I tend to whack it into my elderly VCR and watch it all!  ;)

Duh - it's not the list I watch of course :rolleyes:

Edited by crowpower, 22 June 2010 - 09:15 AM.

#31 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

View PostDrJH, on Jun 21 2010, 05:13 PM, said:

I liked that '88 City to Surf. Pity I couldn't hang on a bit longer!

I'm glad you enjoyed it Jamie, hopefully I will upload some more stuff with you in it soon.

The main aim of all this is to not only show some great runners like yourself and Moneghetti from back in your heyday but also try to find a few weekend warriors from their younger days. In my opinion if you have been running for more than 20 years then your best days should be remembered regardless of what standard you were at.

I would love to upload some footage of Digger from his glory years! It was great to upload a video featuring crowpower from 22 years ago.

Hopefully soon I will have some more footage uploaded that will make someone smile. Crowpower look forward to receiving some more stuff in the future, would love to upload it.

#32 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

View PostGrechy, on Jun 21 2010, 11:27 PM, said:

I would love to upload some footage of Digger from his glory years! I

TV wasn't invented in my glory years.

#33 BEN-HUR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the videos guys - inspirational stuff. Good editing also  :rolleyes: .

#34 TrackRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

Thanks Grechy for sending me the evolution of running dvd. I got a lot out of it and appreciate your time and postage, very kind of you  :yahoo:

This thread and the sharing of knowledge/resources just makes me want to be a better runner.
And to the small minority who feel the need to pick holes in people that are just trying to help  :diablo: get a life

#35 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

I just received the DVDs made from the VHS tapes I sent to Grechy. The system works, not that I had any doubts!

#36 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed your DVDs guys and I am also glad that the youtube viewers have enjoyed the uploads.

Last year a guy on cool running kindly sent me a DVD of the Gold Coast Marathon as he noticed a post of mine saying that I missed the TV coverage of that. I thought it was such a nice thing of him to do that I made a note to myself to always offer to copy a disc for someone on cool running if someone was after something.

Its a real shame that someone had nothing better to do than to come on to this thread and try to spoil everyone's fun by preaching copyright laws. Fortunately he has taken the hint and has now realised we are interested in running videos.

I am sure there will be some more great stuff to be uploaded before too long. I actually have a short interview with ex-Collingwood footballer Tony Shaw talking about how he ran the 1983 Melbourne Marathon. I will have to make sure I upload that.

As I wont be running this years MM, I will certainly be making my own video of the race. Should be something to look forward to!

#37 superflake

Crumbling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Grechy for putting the races up on Youtube.

DrJH certainly had his hands full in 88 C2S chasing Monners, Lloyd and Brad Camp.

I did see a couple of Striders tops just can't make out who. I've only been a member for 5 years.

Was pretty sure that Jose Carvalho ducked in front of the camera when Larry Emdur was talking on Heartbreak Hill.

It was great to see that in 88 and now 2010 we still have the tradition of throwing off your old tops just before the start.  :diablo:

#38 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

I've just been watching the 1983 Wang Australian Marathon in Sydney and it's a pretty good coverage, helped by having Deek in the commentary box with Adrian Metcalfe. It's the first time I've watched it since 1983 and it's really weird to have the TV reporter Harry Potter running the event and giving his experiences of the marathon at various stages. Just keep on breaking out in fits of laughter!  :diablo:

I'm sending it to Grechy. I'm sure he'll put up some of the funny parts.

#39 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

I also have, but haven't viewed:

-Gold Coast Marathon 1985
-Chicago Marathon 1985
-London Marathon 1989

#40 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

More on the 1983 Wang Australian marathon, the quality of the TV coverage slipped a fair bit at the end, with the TV reporter shoving a microphone at winner Ron Tabb's face the instant he crossed the finish line in 2:10:53. To Tabb's credit he gave dignified answers while gasping for breath. Second placegetter Dave Murphy, only 24 seconds behind Tabb, was completely missed and the those in the studio had no idea what was going on. They thought third placed Dave Edge (2:14:25) was second as the interview with Tabb was over at that stage.

The reporter kept on wanting to interview the top finishers and one of them was sick all over the microphone. Poetic justice I thought.

The coverage of the female race was virtually non existent but when they were able to cross to the TV car near the end all the commentators could talk about was leader Anick Loir-Lebreton's rather "ample build" rather than her ability. Fortunately Deek was able to steer the comments towards the actual performance. Anick won in 2:36:54 and Megan Sloane was a minute behind in second place. Although this isn't the fault of the TV coverage, it was embarrassing to see the female finishers being manhandled by the male officials. Megan soon put a stop to that and the bloke looked quite offended! Unfortunately that seemed to be common practice in athletics up until the mid 80s. I saw it a lot.

#41 Paulawannabe

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

I love looking back at all this footage - thank you so much for putting all this up.

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the 1984 Womens Olympic Marathon?

#42 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:54 PM

You could whet your appetite by clicking here, till we find a copy.

#43 Paulawannabe

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

Ready for seconds!
I have (but currently loaned to a friend who hopefully still has) Video copies of the marathogs since 1988 (the womens) and various bits of pieces of golden league, world champs since 1997.  Pretty sure I have memorised the commentary by Ron Clare and Bruce from the 88 womens marathon.

#44 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

View PostPaulawannabe, on Jul 11 2010, 03:08 AM, said:

Ready for seconds!
I have (but currently loaned to a friend who hopefully still has) Video copies of the marathogs since 1988 (the womens) and various bits of pieces of golden league, world champs since 1997.  Pretty sure I have memorised the commentary by Ron Clare and Bruce from the 88 womens marathon.

Beware, from experience, friends have a nasty habit of taping over or not returning 'old tapes'.

When you get them back, get them to either Grechy or myself, so we can convert them to DVD and share them around.

#45 Paulawannabe

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

View PostDigger, on Jul 12 2010, 03:08 PM, said:

Beware, from experience, friends have a nasty habit of taping over or not returning 'old tapes'.

When you get them back, get them to either Grechy or myself, so we can convert them to DVD and share them around.

Will do - have asked for them back already. Will keep you informed.

#46 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

I have received some more great footage from Digger and Crowpower that will be uploaded shortly.

There is a fantastic Zatopek 10km from 1983 where Deek runs his 10km PB!

There is also the 1990 City To Surf (ABC broadcast, much better than channel 10)

And of course the old Melbourne Marathons from the 80's and early 90's. I haven't had a chance to look at these but I am sure they will be great and I should be able to find some footage of people we all know.

If you ran any Melbourne Marathons back then and were wearing something distinctive then perhaps let me know and I will try to find some footage of you and upload it. AV runners wearing their club singlets always stand out.

#47 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

Here is part 1 of the Zatopek 10k from 1983: definitely worth a look.

#48 mb2326

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

View Postcrowpower, on Jun 21 2010, 11:57 PM, said:

I also have the 1990 City To Surf, all five of the Sydney Australian Marathons (variously WANG, Budget, Westfield) 1983-87 and a couple of track runs by Deek in 1983 - the Zatopek 10000m (great event) and soon after he ran a 5000m in Adelaide. Also a video produced of the 1984 Festival City Marathon for the SARRC, which I had forgotten about and some other mid 1980s footage of marathons in Adelaide, usually won by interstaters.

Grechy this list is taking me a while because I tend to whack it into my elderly VCR and watch it all!  :)

Duh - it's not the list I watch of course :D

Crowpower,  do you happen to have footage from the 85,86,87 and 89 Adelaide marathon's of 2:50 - 3:00 runners?

Could you PM me if you do?

#49 Perseus

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

View Postcrowpower, on Jun 22 2010, 12:27 AM, said:

Crowpower, I've sent you an email re. Sydney marathons

#50 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

View Postmb2326, on Oct 27 2010, 01:47 PM, said:

Crowpower,  do you happen to have footage from the 85,86,87 and 89 Adelaide marathon's of 2:50 - 3:00 runners?

Could you PM me if you do?
I have the TV coverage of the 1985 event, so it's possible the runners in that range would be seen somewhere. That tape is also memorable for the (naughty but nice) antics of some female runners!

By 1986 TV had largely lost interest in the event, except for their news coverage. I may well have such footage of those other years but you'd be lucky to see any particular runner unless they were near either John Bannon or the fastest females.

mb2326 - I don't think a PM will work for you until you have posted five times. However feel free to email me -  hillij (at) hotmail (dot) com.