221 replies to this topic

#151 GraeGrae

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

I have an ankle problem which is restricting my running but walking is no problem so I am taking a leisurely strole and starting with the 8am walkers.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#152 Paul Every

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

Many thanks to Wozza, Pudding and all the other generous CRs who have offered me lift. I am now organised, (except for the training).

#153 Tuttle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

Best of luck to everyone for Saturday's run.  It's been a couple of years since I've run the W2B, and I'd hoped to come down from Brissie for this one.  But the logistics proved a little too tricky.

Enjoy yourselves,

Chris

#154 MichaelGarvan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

Not long to go now.

If you want to contact me it will be best to do that by phone after 8am tomorrow as I cannot guarantee that I will be back at this computer again before the race!

On Saturday morning I will be at the course by 6am so ringing me before that would be cruel. :D

My phone # is 0429 329 169.

If you cannot contact me on race day then ring the Bilpin Fire Shed on 02 4567 1394 and someone there will help you or contact me by radio.

Looking forward to seeing you all then.

cya

Michael :)

#155 rrrach

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

View PostGraeGrae, on Aug 18 2010, 12:29 PM, said:

I have an ankle problem which is restricting my running but walking is no problem so I am taking a leisurely strole and starting with the 8am walkers.

Aha! That means I have a chance of beating you this year....!!   :D

Should be a nice day for it. Enjoy the stroll, and I'll see you out there somewhere!

#156 walshy2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

quite a shame that I will miss this

Since the GC Mara I have had a ongoing hamstring Tendon problem and have had to back right off

Really enjoyed this last year so am not happy :-(

#157 GraeGrae

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

View Postrrrach, on Aug 19 2010, 07:22 PM, said:

Aha! That means I have a chance of beating you this year....!!   :D

Should be a nice day for it. Enjoy the stroll, and I'll see you out there somewhere!
Propbably on that last long hill if everything goes to plan.  I shall watch you skip away.

As for beating you, that 6ft time of yours is my secret goal!

#158 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

View PostGraeGrae, on Aug 20 2010, 09:05 AM, said:

As for beating you, that 6ft time of yours is my secret goal!

Not any more! :D

#159 slowmo

1000-club old-dated SlowRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

I'm a non-starter - overtaken by forced house moving that we have to get done in the next few days.

Best of luck to everyone. I'm sure it will be a great day.

slowmo

#160 doddsy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

View Postslowmo, on Aug 20 2010, 12:41 PM, said:

I'm a non-starter - overtaken by forced house moving that we have to get done in the next few days.

Best of luck to everyone. I'm sure it will be a great day.

slowmo

Sorry to hear was looking forward to checking you run in your hauraches, hope all goes well with the house moving.

Doddsy

#161 slowmo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

View Postdoddsy, on Aug 20 2010, 01:58 PM, said:

Sorry to hear was looking forward to checking you run in your hauraches, hope all goes well with the house moving.
Thanks Doddsy.

I think you'll enjoy running the course in your VFFs. Last year's event was my first W2B and also my first substantial trail run wearing huaraches and I had such a great time :Talking Ear Off:

slowmo

#162 EverReadyBunny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

Wonder how everyone went. No reports yet ??

#163 MichaelGarvan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

What a great day. Congrats to David Criniti winner in 2.15.43 Liz Miller 2.37.29.
Race results will be posted later tonight through the www.bilpinbushrun.com.au/links.htm
Last competitor is going through around now. Everyone accounted for which is great.
Will update in the next couple of days.
As always we are looking for feedback so we can improve the runners race.

We had around 350 enter the race and 288 run it. Large number of no shows but I'll put that down to the Federal Election.

Pictures should be up in a day or two for your free download.
cya

Michael

ps there was a runner by the name a Chris who found someone's car key on the course and carried it in his hand for 30k's. The owner was most grateful. Well done Chris.

#164 Chelbub

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

Great spirit Chris...I hope all had a great day out there..

#165 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

View PostEverReadyBunny, on Aug 21 2010, 03:09 PM, said:

Wonder how everyone went. No reports yet ??
All I know is Big Balls Bleakman is a complete CLAIMTENDER. Tells me how I will need to go quicker than 2:49 to beat him. Well I did go quicker than 2:49, but didn't need to  :Talking Ear Off:

Hopefully he now won't keep banging on about how his 6ft debut was 6 minutes quicker than mine now that my Willy2Billy debut is 20 minutes quicker than his.

Really enjoyed the run, especially the first half with a few testing ups and downs, some awesome single track that I just couldn't help but give a flogging. When I got to the road section I decided to take it down a notch and run to the finish in fun mode and take in the scenery. Finished in 2:43 by my watch. A few sore muscles which is to be expected as I haven't gone that distance at a decent speed for a few months.

#166 SallyL

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

View PostWilly2BillyOrganiser, on Aug 21 2010, 04:14 PM, said:

As always we are looking for feedback so we can improve the runners race.

Fantastic race!!! (my first :Talking Ear Off: I cannot think of one way to improve it. The organisation was superb!!
Well done Michael and everyone else who made today possible.

#167 rodthehornet

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

One bit of advice:

Put a speed limiter on the 2nd last bus up to the start.  Anyone that was on the bus will agree the bus driver set a PB that I would rather he attempted with an empty bus.  I had my 2 year old holding my hand comforting me.  :Talking Ear Off:

Looked like a nice day out there.  Wish I was running.  Mrs. Hornet enjoyed the race.

#168 B2orB1

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

View PostMick, on Aug 21 2010, 06:03 PM, said:

Finished in 2:43 by my watch.

So much for your injuries and talking yourself down Mick. It is the last time I take your comments seriously. And you almost beat all the the girls home.

On a serious note it is good to have you back in competition mode.
Horrie, thanks for your advice on ultras, however I don't think you should become a PR officer for the sport as you are too honest.

Really enjoyed the race. Will make it a regular run for August in future years. I just hope my body recovers for next Fridays training run.

Edited by B2orB1, 21 August 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#169 walshy2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

All I know is Big Balls Bleakman is a complete CLAIMTENDER. Tells me how I will need to go quicker than 2:49 to beat him. Well I did go quicker than 2:49, but didn't need to  :D

Hopefully he now won't keep banging on about how his 6ft debut was 6 minutes quicker than mine now that my Willy2Billy debut is 20 minutes quicker than his.

Really enjoyed the run, especially the first half with a few testing ups and downs, some awesome single track that I just couldn't help but give a flogging. When I got to the road section I decided to take it down a notch and run to the finish in fun mode and take in the scenery. Finished in 2:43 by my watch. A few sore muscles which is to be expected as I haven't gone that distance at a decent speed for a few months.

Good to see you are back Mick. Giving it to DJB must be a very satisfying bonus too :Talking Ear Off:

#170 doddsy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

Wow what a great run, My first trail run and what a run to start with, I had a great day fantastic such a friendly run had a great chat to a few people the only person who's name i can remember was niary(sounds like diary). Wil definitely be back net year. Geat effort by all the vollies and great drinks stops, fantastic scenery and nice cool day. Trail running has been sold to me with this one event. Now lookign forward to Fitzroy Falls marathon. Hope everyone pulls up well, I am currently rehydrating with a longneck in preparation for the Pub 2 Pub tomorrow.

Slowmo..
As you said was a good trail run for VFF's and i had no problems with them.

doddsy

#171 ScamBullant

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

Another super day to be out and about in the mountains. In simple terms for a race report:
  • Felt better than expected
  • Ran harder than planed
  • Finished much quicker than thought possible
  • Hurting more now than hoped

In mathematical terms was planning a 3hr n a bit training run that due to feeling great, particularly on the uppish bits turned into a 20 minute PB on the course for 2hrs 51mins. Still found time to enjoy the sensational scenery on the way round, with the valleys to our left over the opening 10km some of my favourite.

Having said all this places, times and people beaten means nothing if can not be reproduced at 6ft 2011.  :Talking Ear Off:

Edited by ScamBullant, 21 August 2010 - 09:15 PM.

#172 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

All I know is Big Balls Bleakman is a complete CLAIMTENDER. Tells me how I will need to go quicker than 2:49 to beat him. Well I did go quicker than 2:49, but didn't need to  :Talking Ear Off:

Such a SANDBAGGER!!! Mick, ''I havent done any training", yeah whatever... took it easy in the second half too? Well done Mick, you deserved your time and ran very well.

#173 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:10 AM

THANKYOU!!!  RFS & Vollies.

This is my favourite "short" course event on the running calendar.  I love it. The trail, the people and the wonderful community atmosphere.  Even the folks at the Mt Wilson polling booth were wishing us good luck.  In my mind W2B is eclipsing 6ft as the premier mountain outing and that's no mean feat because 6ft is a great day out too except it doesn't have a sausage sizzle at the finish line and is gradully losing that relaxed "for the love of it" attitude. The other really great thing about W2B is the diversity of runners.  It was rewarding to see some of the battles waged and won on that hill.

Run of the day goes to our Lynda who absolutely smashed the last 10km.  She overtook me toward the top of the hill and looked like she has plenty left in the tank. Well done!! :Talking Ear Off: Great to see the return to form.

#174 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

View Posttrailpuddin, on Aug 22 2010, 10:10 AM, said:

In my mind W2B is eclipsing 6ft as the premier mountain outing and that's no mean feat because 6ft is a great day out too except it doesn't have a sausage sizzle at the finish line and is gradully losing that relaxed "for the love of it" attitude.
I know what you are saying. Fitzroy Falls also has that great "relaxed" "runner camaraderie" feeling. Time to exchange a few words along the way, etc.

#175 Uncle Dave

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

I hadn't been back since 2003 and I was glad to get back there yesterday. Good to see the race getting bigger and better.

Electronic timing - tick!

Course was better marked too - tick

- The blue line through the paddock was brilliant for keeping us on track.

- The pink ribbons were great and the time and effort taken to lay these out over the whole course was appreciated.

The only places I had any uncertainty occurred within a couple minutes of each other - not long after getting through the paddock, just after the blue line ended, there was a divide between two grassy paths....ended up taking the path to the right, rather than the left downhill path, and thankfully a ribbon a hundred metres or so further on indicated  this was the right choice.

Not long after that, there was a bit of confusion at the  closed gate, but it seemed we obviously made the right choice there too.

Chairs / blankets / hot showers with towels / drinks / food at the end were all great too.

Saw results up last night, which is another plus.

Thanks again to everyone for all the work that goes in to making this an awesome event.

Hope to be back next year,

Dave

#176 MiniMani

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

This is a great run. Great organisation ( 30 mins late start just gave me second helping on the scones! haha! ), great people, fantastic drink stops and hell I even saw a guy who resembled Jesus who ran the race!! ( Note - Must tell mother ).

A five minute improvement on last year. This race is bit of a brute but I just can't stay away!  :D My insistence on doing squats on the wednesday didn't help greatly during the run. Owwww! Great race from fellow woodstocker, Billybob. Nice to The Doc come steaming in the top ten, the man has serious energy - after he finished the race he flashed past me on his bike back the other other way to encourage a friend!

Next trail - start of the Running Wild race series. Nice.  :Talking Ear Off:

#177 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

Minimani, not exactly Jesus I say but I think they were tryin to look more like Anton (though the paced might have disappointed him a little bit)

Here sums it up the day out

* perfect weather
* awesome company  (CRs, striders, NRG were all out in bus loads)
* Absolute crazy bus driver (Bus that departed at 9.05 was VERY close to become a "bus load" of stats on the bells line of road)
* Timing chip
* hot runs by lots ppl, esp Liz miler

drafted Dan for 19km and made my move as we were on the road section. I knew for me to have a win over him, it have to be on a road section. An untimely stitch after drink stop number 5 slowed me down significantly. It was nice though as we pushed each other for a good 4km or so. Then I lost him up the trails. Gareth too, ran a fantastic race - A massive improvement from 3.15 last year to a 2.50! Wicked! Awesome shape for Glasshouse

MMM  - well you sure aren't injured with the way you ran..

Running great Paul Every dismissed his pre-race performance ("I will be happy with a sub 4 performance...) and showed big signs of a major come back, ran an awesome 3.19 in his debut.

Mark Emr, too, smashed a sub 3.30hrs on his debut, and is good shape for the Glasshouse race in 3 weeks. His lady was a little unlucky, but we all are sure she will come back stronger in GH too.

Clare  came in 4th in her age group. She is still peaking after many fantastic runs this year

Tough Cookie Lou STILL got it, coming in strong under 4hours with many minutes to spare

All up, everyone had a good day out. It seemed a little unusually hectic by michael and team but I blame it on the election day!!
Back for my fifth year cap in 2011

#178 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Finished yeaterdays run but had to walk a lot. Lesson to be learnt check the length of your toenails prior to running mine were a little long and I paid the price very dearly, all the downhill to the creek was extremely painful.
There seemed to be less slower runners at the BOP and so was slightly lonely though ran with Lee-Anne, Bec and Lou who were great company, for a period of time.
I was amazed to see Tim C just before the creek crossing riding his bike what on earth was he doing there? Not to mention he had finished the race and was now riding his bike. He turned around and rode along with me but as I was having my toe problems he surged on ahead.
With about 3km to go and met Tim C and Emjay they had walked down the road to meet me, wow. They walked with me back to their car.
I knew 9toes would be waiting with about a km to go poor man he had a very looong wait.
He met me and I said I would see him at the finish, at the finish Lotsahare and Bert were also waiting wow. I felt quite humbled that Tim C, Emjay, Lotsahare and Bert had all waited to cheer me on and it certainly was a long wait
Thanks to all the volunteers and I hope you raised lots of money. I really like my T-shirt as it shows how long the race was and mentions CR on the back.
I actually thought my shoe could have been full of blood but to my childrens disappointment it wasn't, but it is extremely tender.

#179 enduro

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

It's not that often your treated to Scones and Coffee at the start  of a run :Talking Ear Off:...thanks heaps to all the volunteers.

Had a great run yesterday and happy with my time of 3.11. Really enjoyed that long downhill section to the creek and the uphill which was relatively easy going.  Good luck to everyone doing Glasshouse...starting to wish I would be joining you.

Thanks Martin for the lift

#180 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

I never get tired of this event. Love the pre-race atmosphere and enjoying the scones and hot chocolate. Then you get to run a great trail run with lots of variation. Short sharp climbs to begin with followed by some nice smooth downhill trail. I slowed down here as this was where I came undone a couple of years ago Then along the single trail that is slightly technical. Taking it easy along here as well due to coming undone here as well. Was moving well and my right big toe found a rock along here and slammed into it. I managed to stay on my feet but my toe was throbbing. I backed off a bit further and ran the rest of the race without ever putting the hammer down. Ended up finishing in 3:10 which was 5 minutes outside the PB which I was happy with considering I wasn't ever really pushing it. Toe is still a bit sore. Hopefully it will be alright for Trailwalker on Friday. Thanks to the RFS for putting on another great W2B. Their enthusiasm and cheerfulness from start to finish is quite infectious and helps maintain a great feeling amongst everbody involved. Will definitely be back next year for my annual dose of W2B.

#181 slowmo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

View Postdoddsy, on Aug 21 2010, 08:56 PM, said:

Slowmo..
As you said was a good trail run for VFF's and i had no problems with them.
Excellent - well done Doddsy !

slowmo

#182 WallyGator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

A PW of 4:06:03.  But with it only being my 2nd there was a 50/50 chance of that.  11 min slower than last year, and I still recon that I have never run better since then.  Good things were:  no cramping (maybe because I was slower?), ankle held out (thanks to 2 nurofen at 27k), fantastic drink stations, great track (except for the up hill bits), great scenery (luckily I was walking at the best bit near the top after the bridge).  I ran well enough on the flats and downs, but the up hills killed me.  Even at 12k my back was in agony and I almost had to stop walking, and my good foot started to go numb!  For some reason today there are sore bits that I have never had before.

Fantastic runs buy Lynda, Flying Emu and Lotsahare ("I hope to do 4:30"), and it was great to meet some more CRs.

Thanks to the firies for putting this on and providing my favourite running event.  All the volunteers were fantastic and the chance to have a sausage or steak sandwich at the end is great.  As per last year, the apple pie for dinner (bought on the way out of Bilpin) was fantastic.

Silly me had to mention Mudgee Marathon to the other half (who loves wineries).  So, If I can keep my big trap shut, she might forget about it and therefore I will see you all in Bilpin next year.

#183 Johnbo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

Not my day yesterday. I was feeling good at the start line.

Didn't take long...bad foot strike at about 3 km, sharp pain and Plantar Faciitis flared again, almost saw me pull plug at 5 km. But I just couldn't do it....so I re-joined after a couple of minutes, and then spent next 13 km stop starting, gradually realising that the worst thing i could do was to pound down the big hill and then up the other side. So I pulled plug at Mt Irvine.

Some surprised faces when i cheered in a few 2.45 / 2.50 finishers at the finish line, who were all sure they had left me behind!

Unfortunately I have spent yesterday hobbling with swollen second toe and sore underfoot, so i made the right call. Looks like enforced rest and treatment for me.

Beautiful day though and perfect running conditions otherwise. And those wonderful sympathetic faces in Mt Irvine holding up the tray of oranges. Great to see these wonderfull old ladies up on a chilly moring with beaming smiles, encouragement and cut oranges!

Johnbo

Edited by Johnbo, 23 August 2010 - 07:56 AM.

#184 Louie de Fly

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

[quote name='buzzlightyear' date='Aug 21 2010, 11:35 PM' post='596517']
Back for my fifth year cap in 2011

Hi
Keeping records for how many runners have finished 5, 10 or 15 races is hard because of name changes and different directors running the event and not having access to all the records

One thing I liked about this years event was the smile on the runners that got their 5 year cap and Michael saying  bugger the records if anyone has done 5 races you can have a cap just be honest

It was the intention of the organizers to have a different cap for every 5 races completed some have not got their 10 year caps all I can is stiff ? if your were not there at the presentation to collect it you probably don't deserve one and then there is the cost of providing one

If you think it is a good idea let the people that run the race know how you feel

All the best
Lou

Edited by Louie de Fly, 23 August 2010 - 08:35 AM.

#185 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

REsults are up.

http://results.au.ev...a...&RaceID=RUN

Well done on all who ran.

Sounds like an event that will only get bigger.

#186 GraeGrae

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:30 AM

Interesting doing this run from another perspective.

Started out with a group of five other walkers.  There was no opportunity to do a leisurely strole.  We all took off at a fast walking pace and I was wondering if I could keep up without running.  However, managed to settle into it and had the very pleasant company of Lowana and Michael Bailey.

You see a lot more scenery walking.

The first runners caught us just after Mt Irvine and I can now say I was passed by Dave Criniti in a race. :Talking Ear Off:

On the big hill Lowana left us when her husband caught us.  That hill takes its toll.  Looking at the results, the finishing order of a number of runners was different from the order they passed us.  Glad I was walkng it.

Dutchie caught us at the top so I decided not to let her walk by running with her to the finish.

Thank you to Michael and the others for putting on this event and allowing the walkers to start early.

#187 MichaelGarvan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

Firstly thanks for all the feedback and keep it coming as it is of great encouragement to all our supporters.

Did you miss out on ordering a t-shirt? Well you can back order but going to http://www.bilpinbus...SHIRT_ORDER.pdf down load the PDF.

Orders will close next Tuesday 31st August.

Photos will be available on website this evening.

cya

Michael

#188 B2orB1

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

I preordered an XXXXXS T-shirt this year and when I got home and tried it on it was more like a nightie.

Are clothing suppliers slowly increasing the sizes of clothes without changing the labels accordingly? It is making it very hard to pick a shirt size for event T-shirts.

#189 MichaelGarvan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

View PostB2orB1, on Aug 23 2010, 11:38 AM, said:

I preordered an XXXXXS T-shirt this year and when I got home and tried it on it was more like a nightie.

Are clothing suppliers slowly increasing the sizes of clothes without changing the labels accordingly? It is making it very hard to pick a shirt size for event T-shirts.

Send me an email so I can get details and follow it up.

Michael

#190 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

View PostJohnbo, on Aug 23 2010, 07:53 AM, said:

Didn't take long...bad foot strike at about 3 km, sharp pain and Plantar Faciitis flared again,....
Some surprised faces when i cheered in a few 2.45 / 2.50 finishers at the finish line, who were all sure they had left me behind!
I beg to defer Johnbo, you were looking VERY strong even as you were keeping me honest from 5-13km (I think)
Sorry bout your PF - I am sure the post race recovery process will psych you up stronger for the next race...

Edited by buzzlightyear, 23 August 2010 - 11:15 AM.

#191 Johnbo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

View Postbuzzlightyear, on Aug 23 2010, 11:13 AM, said:

I beg to defer Johnbo, you were looking VERY strong even as you were keeping me honest from 5-13km (I think)
Sorry bout your PF - I am sure the post race recovery process will psych you up stronger for the next race...

Buzz

Easy to look strong at 5 to 13 km...the real challenge is to look strong at 34.4, and actually make it!

Both you and Dan ran well to come in under 3. And Mick will be unable to hold on any more to the underdog tag, however implausible that ever was!

I now need a recovery hibernation, but intend to come back fighting!

#192 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

Talking about running well and strong, there were a few people who used this race to (hopfully) qualify for Six foot track.

I (abd rest of CRs) are keen to hear of your experience - If you made the 4.05hours cut off (or 4.30hrs + a letter to 6FT Race director?)?
Do share your Wily to Billy experience for potential Sixfootrtackers newbies..

#193 flyingemu

it's Sir emu to you...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

View PostWallyGator, on Aug 22 2010, 08:36 PM, said:

A PW of 4:06:03.  But with it only being my 2nd there was a 50/50 chance of that.  11 min slower than last year

That's a few runs this year Wally where you've been slower than last year, or have been well off your aim or pb. Are you doing too much training, not enough, training too fast, too slow, too much cross training or not enough? Not sure of what you're doing but perhaps a re-think is required? Just a thought.

#194 Running Angel

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Unfortunately this run just wasn't happening for me right from the start for various reasons. Just as I was starting to get into it around the 23k mark I took a big tumble and ended up with a bump on the head and bruised swollen hand which I guess I must have landed on. A bit shaken up but managed to walk the 3k or so to aid station #6. Was pretty cold by this point but the ladies at the station wrapped me in blankets and took good care of me until I was able to get a lift back to the finish with one of the volunteer firies.

So a big DNF for me. I will have to return next year to settle the score!

A big thanks to all of the volunteers for giving up your Saturday. And also to Emjay and Tim2 for taking care of me at the end - I don't think Tim is used to patients who talk back :D

I always have a bad race the one before a biggie so hopefully this bodes well for GH100k, fingers crossed. At least I came out of it with only bumps and bruises, no  broken ribs, dislocated shoulders or missing teeth!

:Talking Ear Off:

#195 Lynda

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

Hi Michael,

Is there anywhere we can see what the T-shirt looks like?

#196 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

Another fantastic W2B under the belt - unfortunately the scone PB did not get a shake as I was too busy socialising to make a real go at it. Next year I will find a quiet corner of the field and give it a real scare.

#197 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

View PostLynda, on Aug 23 2010, 12:54 PM, said:

Is there anywhere we can see what the T-shirt looks like?
I second that. Technical fabric ?

Might be worth getting one so I can wear it in front of Dan !!!

#198 Hallac

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

Back for my second W2B.  Last year it was on my list for the simple reason of qualifying for 6ft which I duly did with a 3.34.00.  But I never felt well during the run last year and struggled up the hill and was ill after finishing.

So thought with the great set up, relaxed starting time (didn't realise it would be quite that relaxed  :Talking Ear Off: ) and great course I'd come back and enjoy myself this year whilst cruising to an easy pb.

No such luck.  Calves started cramping half-way down to the creek and that meant the long climb up was painfully slow.  I reckon I must have been overtaken by close to 50 people over those last 8kms, but personally was just happy to manage to keep going to the finish line.  Mixed emotions at the finish, just ducking under 3.25 was still a pb, but disappointed that I missed a real shot at 3.15.

Still unable to walk comfortably, but I guess you have these days, and just means I'll have to go back again next year!

Well done to all the support and good luck to Michael for the future.

Andy

#199 Chub

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

Stunning course, great aid stations, enthusiastic volunteers - Perfect day. My time was rubbish but fffttt ...

Saturday's run uncovered a nugget for myself and running friend. On the way home we dropped into The Apple Bar thinking we'd find a mum & pop apple pie shop but instead walked into a buzzy restaurant/bar. It's on the Bells LoR back towards Richmond. The best woodfired oven pizza i've had in years and Bulmers cider on tap.

I saw the t-shirt yesterday. It is fine 'tech' weave material, seemed quite light, short sleeved, graphic was Ok, would be good for sun-safe summer runs. A good buy at only $25 too.

Well done Lynda, what a PB!!!

#200 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

View PostSlowManiac, on Aug 23 2010, 12:54 PM, said:

Another fantastic W2B under the belt - unfortunately the scone PB did not get a shake as I was too busy socialising to make a real go at it. Next year I will find a quiet corner of the field and give it a real scare.

That's because you were too busy checking out the competition to see how many of us you could smash on the course... SANDBAGGER. Watch out for this guy at Glasshouse in a few weeks time... His new nickname is PPP... I'll leave you to guess what that might mean.