Run For Your Life Magazineissue 29 - Has anyone got this issue yet?

• You cannot reply to this topic
147 replies to this topic

#51 sunny1

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

Pg 81 - CRs Backpacker and Ramone, Greenbelt 1/2 marathon. (Ramone is wearing the Yurrebilla shirt).

#52 RHCP26

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

View Postbalri, on May 27 2010, 08:21 PM, said:

So if I didn't receive an email (not sure if you have my email address) and I didn't keep the cover sheet from the last magazine I received how do I find out if my subscription has expired?

At the start of the month no mag has hit your letterbox and there are new editions in the local newsagent??

#53 Lindyk

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

First running magazine I've bought for 6 yrs - something to read on the train home from Canberra on Friday. I really enjoyed it but became disgruntled  :Praying:  when I read that a "number of disgruntled runners" ran a fat ass version of the Canberra 50k. We were not disgruntled runners but extremely enthusiastic & positive runner/walkers who had a wonderful weekend!   :)  Written by a CR too! Apart from that minor "disgruntled" moment it helped the time pass very pleasantly.

Lindy

#54 chilliman

Hot eater, Cool Trail Runner.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

Gee that Brettsrun fella gets around, too much sightseeing and not enough running. :Praying:

And agreed Sunny1, nice to see some SA content in the results section, well done Dopey.

#55 KatieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

I have just purchased RY4L,the last running magazine I purchased was probably 15 years ago.
I saw John Willcocks on Saturday at a community event and he said that he was featured in  the magazine.It was a great story on John and his achievements.I met John when I have participated in the St Marys Fun Runs that he coordinates.He does a fantastic job.To read that he is completing his 40th City To Surf this year in addition to his long term efforts in Marathons and Half Marathons is impressive. :Praying:
I was interested to read the other articles in the magazine also.

#56 RUN 422

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

Two things, one I've mentioned before.
Some of the text is way too small, probably 6pt
and,
white text over the white areas of pics is impossible to read.

#57 skarabrae

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

View PostRUN 422, on Jun 10 2010, 11:17 AM, said:

Two things, one I've mentioned before.
Some of the text is way too small, probably 6pt
and,
white text over the white areas of pics is impossible to read.

Totally agree, that's why I didn't renew my subscription. At night, really the only time I have to read, the small text and shiny pages make it impossible to read even under the best light. Shame really, it's a good mag.

#58 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:13 AM

I thought the small text problem was just me .

Some of the text over pics is very dificult to read !

:rolleyes:

#59 bjs1965

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

What pages are you guys referring to? I don't have the best eyesight, but do wear glasses, and have no problems reading the text throughout the magazine ...

The magazine's use of text over images is minimal, compared to most other sports magazines going around ...

How about some of the positives the magazine has brought, and is bringing, to the Australian running community ...

#60 RUN 422

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

Sure, when I get home from work I'll have a look and let you know which pages. As for positives I'll make up another list if you want but the purpose of my post was to point out a couple of things that I thought needed attention drawn to, and hopefully taken notice of. No-one makes me buy the magazine and I'm not going to keep buying it if I can't read it. Why would I? If no-one ever made a constructive criticism then nothing would ever improve.

OK, page 51 bottom left under heading 'Wednesday April 14th', white over white.
page 74 bottom middle pic, again, white over white, should be black type (I realise there's an attempt at a drop shadow but it isn't working)
and too many pages requiring a magnifying glass to list here.

Edited by RUN 422, 12 June 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#61 Jimboy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

View PostTRAVY, on Jun 11 2010, 09:13 AM, said:

Some of the text over pics is very dificult to read !

Well,well! When I mentioned this and other problems some few editions of R4YL some time ago no one reponded in kind.I too find the shiny pages,sometimes smaller type and type over stuff disconcerting and hard to read.
So now that I know some of you young 'uns are having the same problems I feel a little younger. ;)
It must be cheaper to produce a less fancy style magazine surely? It is the athletic facts that I enjoy,it is a very good read and I think serves a different readership to the old favourite,Runners' World.

#62 danieljohngreen

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

Hi guys

Just quickly. Thanks for the feedback, we really do like it, as we want to keep on improving. Although in future, would definitely love to hear from you by email, to make sure that we don't miss any of your comments.

We are working on these issues as we speak. We often are faced with problems of trying to fit as much content as we can into 100 pages, so that is often why we have to go with some smaller fonts.

I take your point regarding that most people buy the mag for the content, rather than the design, but I have always really wanted to make sure we had a nice combination of both. We will keep trying to improve on it.

Regards
Greeny

#63 wunforfun

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

View Postdanieljohngreen, on Jun 21 2010, 10:32 PM, said:

Hi guys

Just quickly. Thanks for the feedback, we really do like it, as we want to keep on improving. Although in future, would definitely love to hear from you by email, to make sure that we don't miss any of your comments.

We are working on these issues as we speak. We often are faced with problems of trying to fit as much content as we can into 100 pages, so that is often why we have to go with some smaller fonts.

I take your point regarding that most people buy the mag for the content, rather than the design, but I have always really wanted to make sure we had a nice combination of both. We will keep trying to improve on it.

Regards
Greeny

Please don't go to the other extreme of Runner's World where they have one sentence filling 1/4 of a page in a big coloured box with big coloured text written for 3 year-olds telling us that eating 3 serves of fruit a day is healthy.

The thing that went missing from Runner's World and its predecessors was the content - they used to have really interesting in-depth articles on training, the elites, and so on but have lost that.  

Some feedback on the current issue of R4YL:
- Great to read what the elite's do; the more of this the better;
- Where are they now is interesting also though a bit sobering at times when you realise how quickly the top athletes who put in years of work are forgotten;
- Agree with comments re: small text.   4 pages on treadmills vs overground was too long for me to bother reading.   Some of these scientific approach articles go over my head;
- City to Surf training guides were very useful; I like the way Runners' world personalises their training programs by having articles on a 'case study group' of athletes of a variety of levels that follows their training and progression.   I think it is the progression that makes running interesting not just the end result, and it's fascinating to know how other athletes (of all levels) cope with the highs and lows of preparing for an event;
- on this note, the article on Ryan Gregson wa excellent, current, informative, insightful.   If the magazine was just a training diary of a few athletes I would buy it.
- Perhaps these two points could be combined to expand the adirunners sction.
- philo's training articles are always logical, informative and relevant.   thanks philo for sharing your expertise and knowledge;
- no offence to the city to surf legend, but unless you know this guy it's not really that interesting reading;
- Not interested in club profile unless i run for that club; sorry, harsh but frank;
- Race reports are not interesting to me unless I was in the race and in any case there are way to many; i could tear out the back section of this magazine and still be happy.
- above all, the best thing is having real runners on the cover instead of choosing models for their sex appeal that clearly don't run. I only bought the last issue of Runner's World for the cover! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your great work on an excellent magazine I thoroughly enjoy reading.

#64 crouton

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

I had never heard of R4YL until I met Doug with a copy at the yumigo 6/12 in Adelaide. I then bought one and was really impressed. I had been kindly given a years sub to runners world by a friend but found it lightweight and more a "lifestyle" magazine. I do not need a recipe for salad but I do want to read about 6FT. I shall be subscribing and getting a gift sub for my friend. More power to your pen.

#65 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

View PostTRAVY, on Jun 11 2010, 09:13 AM, said:

I think Louise and I complained about the text size and colours many moons ago after the 2nd edition or so from memory. Since then I've got some reading glasses. :rolleyes:

crouton said:

I had never heard of R4YL until I met Doug with a copy at the yumigo 6/12 in Adelaide.
Who know's crouton, you may even see a shot or 2 from the Adelaide 6/12 in next months mag.

#66 Quinkin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

I really love the magazine, for its content, the design issues don't worry me. I guess it is the sense of being involved in one big running comunity is what I like most about the magazine. The running community can contribute to it, and I feel that I am a part of it. The race reports are probably my favourite section, but I also enjoy the inspiring stories of runners out there who have done amazing things, and the elite runners and how they trained in the lead up to the biggest races of their lives..

#67 Marvo

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:17 PM

I love the race reports because it's interesting to know what's going on around the place.  The articles on the young (and not so young) stars of Australian athletics are fantastic and R4YL seem very good at keeping us up to date on the talent that is out there. It also helps the youngsters in the sport know more about the athletes they look up to.

From a coaches perspective it's also helpful to see what others are using in their training as there are plenty of gems of information in the magazine.  Also, as a parent of a couple of kids who love to run, there are also plenty of useful tips that I use to show my kids and say "see, R4YL are printing what I've been telling you for years, so I must be right (again)"...  :rolleyes:

My kids love the magazine so much that when my youngest daughter (12) won a race on the weekend and one of the prizes was a free subscription to R4YL, she wanted to get her own copy, even though we already subscribe.  ;)  I guess there won't be any more arguments over who reads the magazine first next month.

Great mag Daniel, keep 'em coming.  B)

#68 Biscuitman

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

Saw the latest issue in the newsagent on Friday but haven't received mine in the mail.   Has anybody received theirs yet?

#69 aDrain

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

View PostBiscuitman, on Jul 31 2010, 10:14 PM, said:

Saw the latest issue in the newsagent on Friday but haven't received mine in the mail.   Has anybody received theirs yet?

Yep ... Monday perhaps

#70 thomo

Take off looking less safe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

View PostBiscuitman, on Jul 31 2010, 10:14 PM, said:

Yes.

#71 grimsey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:39 AM

No. I hate seeing it on my local newsagent shop when i'm still waiting to receive it.

#72 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

I got mine in the mail on Friday.  There's a few CR photos in there including myself.

#73 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

View Postgrimsey, on Aug 1 2010, 06:39 AM, said:

No. I hate seeing it on my local newsagent shop when i'm still waiting to receive it.

picked one up on Tuesday. i didn't expect it in so soon.

#74 thomo

Take off looking less safe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

View PostAndyP, on Aug 1 2010, 08:45 AM, said:

I got mine in the mail on Friday.  There's a few CR photos in there including myself.
Saw Nando

#75 DontStop

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

I like the small font sizes. Means you get more words for your $$. Runner's World, you can read the whole damn thing in 10 minutes. R4YL has heaps of great reading.

I also enjoy the science of training sections. Like it all, really.

#76 bobble

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Got mine Friday. (Tassie)

#77 ramone

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

Got mine on friday in Adelaide. Also got my photo on the ultra news pages!
photogenic ramone

#78 Suzy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

Saw it at the newsagent on Friday, but still waiting for my copy in the letterbox :)
I thought one of the advantages of being a subscriber was that you got your copy before it hits the shops.

#79 Biscuitman

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

Was waiting for me when I got home from work last night.

#80 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

What edition are we talking about here?

#81 Sportsman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

View PostSpud, on Aug 3 2010, 01:10 PM, said:

What edition are we talking about here?

#82 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Thanks Ron, bugger i haven't received that copy either?

#83 grimsey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

Still waiting,waiting,waiting. Greeny are you out there.?

#84 Jimboy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

Got mine last Friday(Aug/Sept issue).Another great issue,good article on Kurt  Fearnley.
Hope you blokes have all rcd copy by now.

#85 Em00

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

View Postramone, on Aug 1 2010, 10:25 PM, said:

Got mine on friday in Adelaide. Also got my photo on the ultra news pages!
photogenic ramone
Gee are you a sponsor of the mag or something ramone?? You seem to get that pretty face of yours in every edition lately  :)

#86 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

View PostEm00, on Aug 4 2010, 01:41 PM, said:

Gee are you a sponsor of the mag or something ramone?? You seem to get that pretty face of yours in every edition lately  :D
It's not the pretty face I assure you. :D
I did submit one of you also Em from the Adelaide 6/12hr, haven't seen this months yet, but let me guess ramone has his r4yl cap on ? :)

#87 ramone

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

Ouch! That hurts Chilliman. I've been thinking it was a combination of good looks and beautiful running style that gets my photo in r4yl.
Em00, how's that calf going? Improving I hope.
deflated ramone

#88 grimsey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

Still haven't received mine. Starting to get pissed off especially now that i know jimboy got his last friday and he is in newcastle as well

#89 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

Same here, unusual I normally receive it first thing?

#90 grimsey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

I think because of the lateness on the delivery of the magazine we deserve a new R4yL  hat. :)

#91 Perseus

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

Mine arrived Friday too. Maybe you guys should pick up the blower and check your subscription?

#92 undercover brother

horny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

View Postgrimsey, on Aug 4 2010, 05:05 PM, said:

Still haven't received mine. Starting to get pissed off especially now that i know jimboy got his last friday and he is in newcastle as well
mine arrived friday too.
is your postman a runner?

#93 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

View Postramone, on Aug 4 2010, 04:34 PM, said:

Ouch! That hurts Chilliman. I've been thinking it was a combination of good looks and beautiful running style that gets my photo in r4yl.

Alright Ramone i'll fess up, I heard that the 3 day growth got you the gong as r4yl are looking at sourcing ad revenue from Campbell's. :)

#94 Em00

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

View Postchilliman, on Aug 4 2010, 03:07 PM, said:

I did submit one of you also Em from the Adelaide 6/12hr, haven't seen this months yet, but let me guess ramone has his r4yl cap on ? :D
Clearly I am not as photogenic as Ramone Chilliman!  :)

View Postramone, on Aug 4 2010, 04:04 PM, said:

Em00, how's that calf going? Improving I hope.
deflated ramone
Calf is average but improving I think Ramone.. physio taped it up tonight and told me to see how I go with a short run tomorrow and then Sunday and if that is OK then the marathon should be OK if I really must do it  :p

#95 ramone

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

Hey, that's good news Em00.
ramone

#96 CCor

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hmm
I still haven't received mine in the mail yet. I only subscribed a few weeks ago. I probably put down the wrong address or something and some other punk is reading my copy :D
I bought it from the newsagent today, i got sick of seeing it and not being able to read it.

#97 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

great cover on the latest "Souvenir Edition" r4yl mag. 40 year race reports on c2s is exceptional.

#98 Lyonsytas

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

View Postredbackrun, on Sep 25 2010, 11:25 AM, said:

great cover on the latest "Souvenir Edition" r4yl mag. 40 year race reports on c2s is exceptional.

Great read the latest issue. The old photos are great!!! I love Chris wardlaws beard top stuff!!

Well done rfyl for getting the collection of old photos and articles on the city to surf. Sydney should be proud to have this iconic event in their city!!!

Has to be one of the best mass participation events in the world!! Well done Australia. Sounding emotional now!!! Lol

Lyonsy

#99 Biscuitman

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

Mine still hasn't arrived :-(

#100 Narred

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

View PostBiscuitman, on Sep 29 2010, 06:31 PM, said:

Mine still hasn't arrived :-(

Sent off an email & they are having mailhouse problems this issue. It has been in newsagents since last week