26 replies to this topic

#1 Michael S

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

I've just purchased a 310XT and found the watch really user friendly. When I instal the training centre software the USB ANT stick is not reading. I followed the instructions acrefully and did not plug the ANT stick in until instructed.

When I open the ANT Agent icon in the task bar I get the message "USB ANT stick not active - no device".  Have also installed the latest software from garmin but still no luck.

I have tried installing on a couple of computers and the same result - looks like a faulty ANT stick to me and will check with supplier after Easter........ I'd like to get things setup over easter - has anyone had a similar problem or know of a work around to allow me to upload date from the watch??

The computers were all windows XP sp3

Edited by Michaelmas, 03 April 2010 - 12:04 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 wombatoutofhell

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

I had the same problem with mine-I found that you had to go to the settings in your garmin and go to "dataTransfer" and turn on the pairing and enable the transfer.  Try that.

#3 blair

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

I've had similar problems intermittently recently

#4 Michael S

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

Hi Wombat,

Pairing is enabled...the problem is that the ANT stick does not read at all when I open the Garmin ANT agent in the task bar the message is
"USB ANT™ stick: Not Active No Device. Curiously it appears in hardware under system information but says no driver installed (even though its installed through training centre and manually updated. I'll probably have to wait until Tuesady and have a chat to Rob at HTA

#5 One Good Leg

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

View PostMichaelmas, on Apr 3 2010, 02:21 PM, said:

Hi Wombat,

Pairing is enabled...the problem is that the ANT stick does not read at all when I open the Garmin ANT agent in the task bar the message is
"USB ANT™ stick: Not Active No Device. Curiously it appears in hardware under system information but says no driver installed (even though its installed through training centre and manually updated. I'll probably have to wait until Tuesady and have a chat to Rob at HTA

Michaelmas,

With your manual update have you tried going direct to the Garmin site (http://www.garmin.co...s/communicator/) and installing the update.

I have had dramas every now and then (although I use Sportstracks) with the import not working. This update seems to fix it again?

Cheers,

OGL

#6 Michael1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

Have you tried installing the stand-alone ANT Agent software?

#7 deadcat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

+ 1 for this problem recently.. i have had it running fine.  Last time i "force sent" the info, but just this morning that wasn't working.  Re installed the software to no avail.. like Michaelmas, the device just doesn't register!!

#8 wombatoutofhell

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:13 PM

I had the issue-I had it all working and then the next time I tried it wasn't there again and I had to go through it all again.  
Other than that, it's been fine!

#9 serena

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

I had this problem and ended up having to get a new ant. I did just notice that the software for the ant has been upgraded but this probably wont help with an ant that isn't registering as being plugged in. My problem started as intermittent and became permanent.

#10 Michael S

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hi OGL and all others

I wasn't aware of that communicator download, I install that but the browser could not detect the ANT stick.  I also checked that ANT agent 229 is installed. From the other comments it sounds like the wireless communication may be a bit flakey.

I'll checkout the sportstrack site also but guess I will still need the ANT working to upload

thanks

Michaelmas

#11 johnnyshoes

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

View PostMichaelmas, on Apr 3 2010, 06:05 PM, said:

Hi OGL and all others

I wasn't aware of that communicator download, I install that but the browser could not detect the ANT stick.  I also checked that ANT agent 229 is installed. From the other comments it sounds like the wireless communication may be a bit flakey.

I'll checkout the sportstrack site also but guess I will still need the ANT working to upload

thanks

Michaelmas

read down

Edited by johnnyshoes, 13 September 2010 - 06:39 AM.

#12 Sportsman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

Life was so easy with the previous method.

Back to the cradle, I say.

#13 chilliman

Hot eater, Cool Trail Runner.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

View Postjohnnyshoes, on Sep 12 2010, 07:02 PM, said:

does anyone have a solution for this problem yet? i recently changed hard drives and now i can't get the PC to recognise the ant stick.

By changing hard drives I assume you have re-installed your O/S from scratch ?
Have you installed all the updates/drivers etc ? If you can't find them on the Garmin site I have linked to them numerous times on the 310 and 405 threads
Sorry i'm too lazy tonite to find all the links for you. Don't forget to add the trusted sites if you are unfortunately using IE.

Re-paired to your Garmin from the Ant Agent ?

View PostSportsman, on Sep 12 2010, 08:08 PM, said:

Life was so easy with the previous method.
Back to the cradle, I say.
The 110 has gone back to USB, but seriously Ant+ is the way of the future, trust me. Garmin just need to sort out their web site so all software and instructions are all in the one spot and easy to follow.

The Ant sticks are now USB2 with the 310's so much better performance (480Mb/s. (You can tell on the side of the Ant opposite the FCC ID, all the originals were USB1 11Mb/s)

#14 johnnyshoes

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:47 AM

yes
yes
yes

this was the solution (hard to find):

windows xp
control panel
system
hardware tab
device manager
(find the Ant agent with a yellow '?')
right click. update driver.
done.

#15 RobGrinter

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

View Postchilliman, on Sep 12 2010, 10:26 PM, said:

By changing hard drives I assume you have re-installed your O/S from scratch ?
Have you installed all the updates/drivers etc ? If you can't find them on the Garmin site I have linked to them numerous times on the 310 and 405 threads
Sorry i'm too lazy tonite to find all the links for you. Don't forget to add the trusted sites if you are unfortunately using IE.

Re-paired to your Garmin from the Ant Agent ?

The 110 has gone back to USB, but seriously Ant+ is the way of the future, trust me. Garmin just need to sort out their web site so all software and instructions are all in the one spot and easy to follow.

The Ant sticks are now USB2 with the 310's so much better performance (480Mb/s. (You can tell on the side of the Ant opposite the FCC ID, all the originals were USB1 11Mb/s)

You will know which version of USB stick you have as it syas the words "USB1" or "USB2" printed in  ery small type on the stick.

#16 Sportsman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

Is that 11Mb/s? to 480 M/bs
That's a big difference which might make my 10 min downloads a bit quicker.
Also when it fails, or turns the watch off etc, I won't have to wait so long to try again.
I replaced my dead one a few months ago, but still on usb 1.
Looks like I'll have to fork out for another one.
Pity they are 4x the cradle price.

Edited by Sportsman, 13 September 2010 - 09:59 AM.

#17 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

Have you installed all the updates/drivers etc ?

View Postjohnnyshoes, on Sep 13 2010, 06:47 AM, said:

yes

this was the solution (hard to find):

right click. update driver.
done.

That should have been a no then. :D

#18 johnnyshoes

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

View Postchilliman, on Sep 13 2010, 12:37 PM, said:

That should have been a no then. :D

no, it was a 'yes'.

i had installed the software (2 or 3 times), but the computer was stuck in a strange world where the ant agent wasn't communicating with anything else due to another hardware issue (pci soundcard) stopping another driver from being installed.

updating through the device manager fixed this issue.

#19 Sportsman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

Just learned a lesson.
If at first you don't suceed, try, try, try, try, try, try try, try, try, try, try again.

It took 12 attempts to get last weeks runs uploaded by ant.

#20 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

View PostSportsman, on Sep 15 2010, 11:04 AM, said:

One of the support guys on the Garmin forums replied "to let it do it's thing and go and have a shower" to one user experiencing upload failures. I see the odd failure especially on larger runs over 30k, but just leave it alone and it will usually go through.

If it is a persistent issue Sportsman, perhaps look at possible interference issues from other 2.4GHZ devices such as wireless lans, cordless phones, leaky microwave ovens etc. You can't change the channel frequency on the Ant, but in most cases you can on Wlans and cordless phones if it is a proven problem.

Also plug the Ant stick direct into a chassis USB port rather than on the end of a keyboard etc.

#21 Sportsman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

View Postchilliman, on Sep 15 2010, 11:15 AM, said:

One of the support guys on the Garmin forums replied "to let it do it's thing and go and have a shower" to one user experiencing upload failures. I see the odd failure especially on larger runs over 30k, but just leave it alone and it will usually go through.

If it is a persistent issue Sportsman, perhaps look at possible interference issues from other 2.4GHZ devices such as wireless lans, cordless phones, leaky microwave ovens etc. You can't change the channel frequency on the Ant, but in most cases you can on Wlans and cordless phones if it is a proven problem.

Also plug the Ant stick direct into a chassis USB port rather than on the end of a keyboard etc.
Thanks Chilli.
I usually leave it to do it's thing, which ok unless it turns the watch off.
I will buy a usb 2.0 stick and see how that goes.

#22 miners

don't take my word for it ...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

View PostSportsman, on Sep 15 2010, 11:04 AM, said:

Just learned a lesson.
If at first you don't suceed, try, try, try, try, try, try try, try, try, try, try again.

interesting - I have 1 run that refuses to upload (or force upload).  Will see if the next run kicks it into the departure lounge

#23 ShaunL

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

I initially had issue's, just picked mine up last week.

Mine was an easy answer though, watch itself wasn't set up propertly which I found the answer to in FAQ's.

Good luck...

#24 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

View Postminers, on Sep 15 2010, 11:47 AM, said:

interesting - I have 1 run that refuses to upload (or force upload).
There is also the current "badfit" (CRC) issue with the 310's to keep in mind which pops up occasionally, more so apparently if you don't "erase data on device after a successful download" from the watch. If you do have a "badfit" file you want me to have a crack at fixing, pm it to me. If you have no idea of what I am talking about, ignore this paragraph, except for the erasing data bit in the Ant Agent settings. :D

On another Ant related issue, a couple of us are investigating a possible issue with uploading courses of 80k or more to the 310xt. The same courses work fine to a 405, but "fail" to a 310. If the 80k course is reduced to say 50k, it will upload ok to the 310.

Will report back here any progress.

#25 miners

don't take my word for it ...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:37 PM

View Postchilliman, on Sep 15 2010, 03:06 PM, said:

On another Ant related issue, a couple of us are investigating a possible issue with uploading courses of 80k or more to the 310xt. The same courses work fine to a 405, but "fail" to a 310. If the 80k course is reduced to say 50k, it will upload ok to the 310.

Will report back here any progress.
Haven't got any specific issues with that just yet.  But I'm extremely interested in finding a way to reduce 80km courses to 50km :D

#26 chilliman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

View Postminers, on Sep 15 2010, 04:37 PM, said:

But I'm extremely interested in finding a way to reduce 80km courses to 50km :D

We design all our Victorian trail courses with short cuts for locals.

Hmmm, me too.  :o

#27 Zoobie

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:18 AM

I managed to solve this issue by simply restarting my machine. (I tried a bunch of other things first) I was certain that my stick was faulty as it was not registering at all on my laptop, but had worked flawlesly till now with my 405. (I hardly ever restart my laptop - I just put it into sleep mode)

Hope this helps someone.