80 replies to this topic

#51 lisa1979

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

I'm gonna buy some gaiters on my way home! I ran 50km last weekend with sopping wet feet and it wasn't very nice by the end.

Still, skin is waterproof. I'll see you all there - 7am sharp.  :Praying:

Support our Australian advertisers:

#52 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

Running in the rain is fun though - its the wind that can be the problem along the coast, but I'm sure we will all be fine.  Its a beautiful run no matter what the weather.

See you all there bright and early  :Praying:

#53 Sir Runalot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

I've got a ride - yee ha! See y'all in the morn. SR

#54 seris

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:28 PM

View Postbrewer, on Apr 15 2010, 09:18 AM, said:

Can you leave a key under the mat for us then?
no problem

View Postfrankie17, on Apr 15 2010, 09:27 AM, said:

...card table with drinks, perhaps?
absolutely

View Postbuzzlightyear, on Apr 15 2010, 10:17 AM, said:

Ok Seris, I will be the guardian of your place and make sure the boys and girls take only things that you place out for us and only enter marked rooms that we can do so!)  We certainly will...make ourselves comfortable on your balcony that looks over the water...AHH...
just keep out of my bath Buzz......

View Postsailaway, on May 25 2010, 11:24 PM, said:

Just sorting out some logistics issues and may be in the 30km one way option.   I was looking forward to Seris' drink station along the way though. :)
you know where the beer fridges are Luis. Hint... kitchen and garage... :Praying:
Seriously peeved that I can't do this run. Have fun everyone. Think of me in Williamstown :)

#55 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

It was a wet day - Ted West and I did the half run (ie, one way) and had a great time, finishing in 3.13.

We passed Sir Runalot and Hamburgler on the way back from the turn around point - looking as if they were running steady.

A good morning.
David

#56 Juzz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

Thanks so much to the ladies that ran with me today...........It was so nice to have you all around me
I did 19km then turned around and made my way back to the Manly so total 38km.
I finished in 4 hour 35mins i am very very happy with this as its my longest run ever
Hope everyone had a much fun today as i did

#57 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

A wonderfully wet day causing lots of laughs on how wet we all got so quickly!  

Such a good run this one, with all the fantastic views and beaches along the way, with the trail sections around the headlands giving me my trail fix too!  I felt great the whole way and could have just kept going and going today, even with all the rain.  Almost considered running back too when we reached Palm Beach, but having asked Mr Koala1 to come and pick me up, I didn't really have the heart to then say I would be running back......

I think we ended up with about a 25 - 30 min PB up to Palm Beach, although I'm not too sure of the exact time, as I didn't run with a garmin today.  Stopped at the end for brekkie, then headed home to dry out.

Great to meet and run with you Juzz - thats an awesome effort for your longest run ever!  Great stuff - you will find the Gold Coast a breeze  :Praying:

Hope everyone else had as much fun out there today as I did.
K1

#58 GarthMc

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

What a fantastic run!

Did the the 30k option, ran most of the distance with Lisa and AussieAthlete. First big run since Gorgeous Garie in Dec.

Legs feeling pretty good all things considered. I think going out and standing in the surf for 10mins after the run did them the world of good!  :Praying:

See you all out at the next one hopefully :)

#59 Dutchie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

ERB and I set out at 8.40am this morning, after taking forever to find a parking spot.
We ran at a steady pace, thoroughly enjoying the views and the wild beaches.
Saw Hamburgler and SR at 18.7km into the run they were on there way back, they said there were about 10 runners ahead of us so we looked forward to seeing them on their way back but only met RunMikeyRun at Avalon.

We were very baffled at Palm Beach as we couldn't find the "Summer Bay" SLSC, was it a joke?
We ran past the North Palm Beach SLSC and kept going heading for Barrenjoey lighthouse...well almost.
We looked at the map again and decided it must have been the North Palm Beach SLSC.

Anyway then we ran all the way back, even sprinting the last km to the Manly SLSC and making sure to touch the wall.
Our time for the record was 7.55hrs with a few extra detours thrown in just to do the extra kms.

We had a great run, thanks for your company ERB :Praying:

#60 EverReadyBunny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

The pleasure was all mine Dutchie, except I thought you promised me a nice slow run as my first longish run since France.

I knew I was in trouble from just before Palm Beach when you said lets just touch the surf house and head back. No mucking around. You just got stronger and stronger on the way back and that sprint at the end was great. We had that guy. Sure he stopped but he was gone before that.

Great to see Hamburglar and Sirrunalot looking so cool and yet smoking the course and then later to see runmikeyrun although I was confused about your maths. You started at Mona Vale finished at Mona Vale and I think you said that would give you 60km. Did you run to the start before 7am?

Rain was not too bad and the views on that course are always lovely.

#61 BlueBel

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

No such thing as slow for Dutchie, getting plenty of practice at SWEAT. It would be great to have Bunny hopping around in the park as well   :Praying:

#62 Hamburglar

Shooting for sub 3

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:57 PM

Great day out there today, although standing in the toilet block watching the rain and wind just before 7am, I wasn't so sure. Sir runalot and I picked up sailaway after 500m and we all ran together to Mona vale before sailaway turned around. Sir runalot and I reached the turaround in 2.46. For the record summer bay SLSC is nth Palm Beach SLSC! After a quick break we headed back home. We made good progress before I started to struggle with 5k to go. Sirrunalot left me to suffer alone and suffer I did! Was very happy to finish and jump in juzz's car which was parked 10m from th finish. For the record, I finished in 5.53 and sir runalot finished a few minutes in front of me. I am currently in a world of hurt and reaching for the panadols.

I counted 17 people out there doing various distances which was a good turnout in the conditions.

Post your times and distances and I will update the webpage.

#63 Sir Runalot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

Had a great run this morning despite the rather wet and cold conditions.

10km splits - 52:42 / 54:49 / 57:51 / 59:10 / 59:24 / 60:58. So, under 3 hrs for the return journey, pretty happy with that given the course and conditions.

Finished with 5:46, 25 minutes better than last year.

Thanks Hamburglar for the company along the way.

Thanks for the lift and for waiting around at the end Juzz.

Hope the weather is better for PMC. SR

Edited by Sir Runalot, 29 May 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#64 lisa1979

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:26 AM

Had a great 60+ km run out today. It was nice to spend time running and talking with Raw Aussie Athlete. I learned a lot about nutrition, life and happiness. We ran together almost all the way. Our time for Manly-Palmy-Manly (plus 2.5km extra for an accidental detour!!) was 7:35. The last 10km hurt quite a bit, but only because I've been bashing the legs for the past few weeks. Luckily my ankle held off. The rain was light but steady and the surf was pretty rough today. My feet look like I've been in the bath for 7 and a half hours.

Thanks to Hamburglar for the excellent maps and every brave soul who turned up in frankly poor weather. You're all champions!!!

#65 RunMikeyRun

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

For a wet and woolly day it was actually a good day for running.  I started in the early wave at 5.30am at a very wet and dark Mona Vale headland and ran the Mona Vale, Manly, Palm Beach, Mona Vale option.  From a cold and wet start the day actually improved as the legs got slower.  Finished the 60km in 7hr 18min.  Enjoyed the run but was very happy to stop.
Michael

#66 sailaway

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

An excellent turn up given the gloomy conditions. Well done to those that completed the 60km in a tough course with some nasty hills. I arrived at the northern end of Manly just on 6:45am with enough time to park the car in a back street which gave me 2 hrs of free parking from 8:00am. I figured that I'd run for 15km and turn around for a 30km round trip. As I was heading out to the start I could see every one starting with Sir Runalot and Hamburglar leading the pack. Decided to join both and take it easy for the first 15km. I run with a light rain coat but still managed to get saturated from the heat and sweat created from running. At times had to open my steeves to let out the water. At the Monavale Hospital(1:19min for 14.56km) I left Sir Runalot & Hamburglar and headed back to Manly. Decided to push harder on the way back for a split of 1:13min for a total of 2hrs 32. Only ste back on the day is to find no proper showers of the famous Manly Beach with the showers at the volley ball courts providing just a trickle of water.

#67 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

View PostDutchie, on May 29 2010, 07:30 PM, said:

We were very baffled at Palm Beach as we couldn't find the "Summer Bay" SLSC, was it a joke?
We ran past the North Palm Beach SLSC and kept going heading for Barrenjoey lighthouse...well almost.
We looked at the map again and decided it must have been the North Palm Beach SLSC.

Yes, it does exist - here is a photo I took on the first year we ran this - if you go to the ocean side of the SLSC, you find this sign:  hopefully photo is now as part of this postAttached File  Summer_Bay.jpg   62.9K   32 downloads  (- if nothing appears, well, perhaps there really isn't a summer bay SLSC!!)

#68 lisa1979

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

P.S to all you Manly starters - I am pleased to report that my clever 'plastic bags on feet' idea kept my feet dry for all of 12 minutes.  :Praying:

I predict Injinji knocking on my door any day now.....

#69 EverReadyBunny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

12 minutes ! That's 10 minutes longer than mine were dry.
I should have tried them too :Praying:

#70 lisa1979

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hamburglar - have you got that start-line photo mate?

#71 Hamburglar

Shooting for sub 3

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

I do have the photo. I need to work out how to get it off my phone and on to CR. Let me try tonight.

P.S. Went for a run today. Legs felt like tree trunks!

#72 EverReadyBunny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

Hamburglar you must have saved the suffering for long after we saw you.
You had done well over 2/3 of the course when we came across you looked really comfortable. Just cruising with a big smile. When we got back to the same point we realised just how far it was :Praying:

#73 Hamburglar

Shooting for sub 3

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

Results:

Sailaway (2:32) – Mona Vale return
David C (3:13)
Ted west (3:13)
GarthMc (3.31)
Briony (3.31)
Koala1 (3:41)
Anne Victor (3:41)
2 x other non CR's (3:41)

38k – Newport return
Juzz (4:35)

Sir Runalot (5:46)
Hamburglar (5:53)
RunMickeyRun (7:18)
Lisa1979 (7:35)
RawAussieAthlete (7:35)
Dutchie (7:55)
ERB (7:55)

Good to see seven 60k finishers - especially in those conditions. One day we will see glorious weather as we did in 2007!

Tattiebingers course record of 4:59 lives another day. I wonder how long it will last?

See ya next year!

Edited by Hamburglar, 01 June 2010 - 07:43 AM.

#74 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:53 PM

Hi HB - Anne Victor & I did 3:41 for the 30K, as did the 2 others with us (non CRs)

#75 frankie17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:59 PM

View PostKoala1, on May 31 2010, 09:53 PM, said:

Hi HB - Anne Victor & I did 3:41 for the 30K, as did the 2 others with us (non CRs)

I managed a happy snap of koala1 powering past seris' grassy knoll.  No sign of trailpuddin.

http://farm3.static...._94694c2277.jpg

How is that chafing shaping up?  Ouch!

#76 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Hey Frankie - great action shot.  I think you might've got the wrong Koala though as I certainly wasn't that dry  :Praying:

#77 frankie17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

View PostKoala1, on May 31 2010, 10:09 PM, said:

Hey Frankie - great action shot.  I think you might've got the wrong Koala though as I certainly wasn't that dry  :Praying:

I saw another koala going the other way.   Maybe this one was you...

Attached Files

#78 GarthMc

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:37 PM

Briony (non-CR) and I made it up there in 3:31

Really happy to make it, was my first run over 20k since the Gorgeous Garie just after Xmas. It was also Briony's first run ever over 20k! Not just that but when she hit the flat of Palm Beach she took off like she was running a 100m sprint! :Praying:

#79 lisa1979

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

Yeah- nice to meet you both, Garth. When I saw Briony bolt at Palm Beach rock baths I thought - nah... let her go. She was like a whippet!

#80 Anne Victor

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

Another great run from Manly to Palm Beach with Koala1 and co. We seem to get faster every year which is good.

Good to catch up with some of the usual suspects on the day. Lisa - thanks for the plastic foot bag report - I think the idea has merit but it might need some more work.  :Praying:

Hamburglar - thanks very much for organising the run. Already looking forward to next year.
Regards,
AV

#81 Hamburglar

Shooting for sub 3

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

Here is the start line photos - pretty average quality though.

Posted Image