#1 OscarZarate

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:52 PM

Hi people,

Does anyone know what do I need to become a pacer?
Do you think that having 4 marathons run (from 3:14 in 2007 to 2:59 last year MM) and one Ironman (3:49 the marathon a few weeks ago) I could be a pacer?

I know I can run 3:30 o 3:40 quite consistent!

Thanks,

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 bennie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:12 PM

View PostOscarZarate, on Apr 10 2010, 10:52 PM, said:

I know I can run 3:30 o 3:40 quite consistent!

hey Oscar! :-)

Firstly congrats again on the Ironman mate!!! :-) Bloody grand effort!

re: the pacing!! mate. i'd follow you any day if you were pacing!! How about the 3:50 pacer for this year at MM!??? :-) Grin!

Re: Your pacing request I know Digger had a lot to do with the MM pacers and probably still does... drop him a PM.. he 'may' be able to help you out there!!

cheers.
bennie

#3 DrJH

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:25 AM

Why would you want to be a pacer?

#4 undercover brother

horny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,203 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

View PostDrJH, on Apr 11 2010, 06:25 AM, said:

hahaha here we go again :D
where did that thread go to by the way?

#5 FreeDickland

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

Because I would rather be a horse ---

#6 greydove

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:53 AM

View PostFreeDickland, on Apr 11 2010, 07:46 AM, said:

Because I would rather be a horse ---

Then shouldn't he hoof it to the Muesli thread instead & get his nose into oat recipies?

#7 OscarZarate

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:52 AM

View PostDrJH, on Apr 11 2010, 06:25 AM, said:

Am I missing something? Is there anything bad on that? Is there any thread I should read before asking?

If you're asking seriously, let me tell you that I'm a big believer of "giving back to society".
If you're being sarcasty. then sorry mate, but my English is not good enough for that.

Cheers,

PS: Bennie: You're a GREAT mate!

#8 greydove

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:47 AM

View PostOscarZarate, on Apr 11 2010, 08:52 AM, said:

Am I missing something? Is there anything bad on that? Is there any thread I should read before asking?

If you're asking seriously, let me tell you that I'm a big believer of "giving back to society".
If you're being sarcasty. then sorry mate, but my English is not good enough for that.

Cheers,

My apologies Oscar,

Welcome to Australia (and the Aussie language with all its little quirks)

A 'pacer' is a horse that races pulling a very basic little cart.  They aren't allowed to gallop but must trot the whole way.  What are they called in your own language?

The fun is certainly not directed at you, but just a bit of sport with our language.  Perhaps you've noticed such goings-on in other threads you have read.  Please feel free to ask for explanations, as we tend to forget that only part of the world speaks English as their first language, and an even smaller part speaks Australian (Strine) - same goes for this website.

You'll also notice that many others on this website believe in giving back to society.  Without people like you, many runs/races would be too expensive to afford.

Judging from the comment you received earlier, you're probably well on the way to being a pacer of the foot-race kind.

Cheers

Edited to remove odd word left over from somewhere

Edited by greydove, 11 April 2010 - 09:53 AM.

#9 OscarZarate

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

Thanks greydove, that was really nice from you.

I'm originally from Argentina (Spanish speaker) but I became an Aussie as soon I could (I mean, citizenship), I should be able to pick these things but my-self  :D  

Cheers,

PS: I hope I can be out there and help a few people as I was helped out there before!

#10 greydove

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

View PostOscarZarate, on Apr 11 2010, 10:23 AM, said:

PS: I hope I can be out there and help a few people as I was helped out there before!

Oscar, I bet you're helping people already.  Of course, pacing is only one way, but how wonderful to get to that level of running!  (oops, some horsey puns have slipped in there!)

I'm still grappling with C25K after a long absence from running, but they say life is what happens while you are making plans.  For now, my level of helping is with packing race-bags, but as I get more into running I'm looking forward to getting more involved in the behind-the-scenes work too.  There's a lot to learn, and its those who are involved who get to learn it!

greydove

#11 runningrupert

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

OscarZarate,

I was involved with organising pacers last year for the Melbourne Marathon and Half Marathon. Keep an eye on the event website. Generally there is a call for interested people to pace. Fire off an application nice and early and get your hat in the ring. I'm sure they would appreciate your interest.

Rupert

#12 OscarZarate

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

View Postgreydove, on Apr 11 2010, 11:23 AM, said:

Oscar, I bet you're helping people already.  Of course, pacing is only one way, but how wonderful to get to that level of running!  (oops, some horsey puns have slipped in there!)

I'm still grappling with C25K after a long absence from running, but they say life is what happens while you are making plans.  For now, my level of helping is with packing race-bags, but as I get more into running I'm looking forward to getting more involved in the behind-the-scenes work too.  There's a lot to learn, and its those who are involved who get to learn it!

greydove
Good on you mate!

#13 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:48 AM

Hi Oscar,

I am also considering being a pacer this year if I am not in PB form when October arrives. There is plenty of time at this stage and the demand for pacers usually means there will be a spot for anyone who is interested. As Rupert said just keep an eye on the website.

I am also considering turning my attention to Ironman Triathlons over the next few years. Well done on your grand effort at Port Mac.

#14 Gasher

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

View PostOscarZarate, on Apr 11 2010, 08:52 AM, said:

Cheers,

Oscar there is a thread that you should be reading Bit of a contentious issue amonst CR's, probably worth a reply from you just to get this baby back on the front page  :D

#15 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

View Postgreydove, on Apr 11 2010, 09:47 AM, said:

A 'pacer' is a horse that races pulling a very basic little cart.  They aren't allowed to gallop but must trot the whole way.

That's not quite correct.

A pacer paces.

A trotter trots.

Pacing and trotting are entirely different gaits of a horse. As anyone who's ridden a pacer under saddle will attest.

Although one speaks of 'going to the trots' to see mainly pacing, reflecting the history of the 'sport'.

#16 DontStop

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

You need to be able to prove to race organisers that you can run 42 kilometres with a balloon. I'd suggest maybe using one in training, just to get used to it.

#17 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:34 AM

Ah, but which colour balloon to train with?

Decisions, decisions

#18 OscarZarate

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

View PostGrechy, on Apr 12 2010, 06:48 AM, said:

Hi Oscar,

I am also considering being a pacer this year if I am not in PB form when October arrives. There is plenty of time at this stage and the demand for pacers usually means there will be a spot for anyone who is interested. As Rupert said just keep an eye on the website.

I am also considering turning my attention to Ironman Triathlons over the next few years. Well done on your grand effort at Port Mac.
Thanks mate. But just as an "off topic", the only thing similar between Marathon and the Run in the IM is the distance, nothing else :D

View PostGasher, on Apr 12 2010, 09:09 AM, said:

Oscar there is a thread that you should be reading Bit of a contentious issue amonst CR's, probably worth a reply from you just to get this baby back on the front page  :D
Thanks, but no, it's OK. They have their opinion and I have mine. It's not worth it to discuss that. I'm going to do it anyway (if MM organization let me). So, it's not important to discuss it.

View PostDontStop, on Apr 12 2010, 10:56 AM, said:

You need to be able to prove to race organisers that you can run 42 kilometres with a balloon. I'd suggest maybe using one in training, just to get used to it.
Or a Flag :Party:
If I'm not wrong, the balloon if for the half and the Flag is for the full.

#19 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:04 PM

Great to see you putting your hand up for the role Oscar. I have paced 4 times in marathons and it is a very rewarding experience. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :D

#20 mgi11a

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

Hi Oscar, I always enjoy doing pacing gigs, and im sure you'll have the same experience.

If your conifident you can do the time you have on your flag or balloon I think thats the main thing you'll need to worry about.

I've done both methods, flags in drink bottle holders and balloons tied to my back, either way you soon forget there there as your more consumed with your times and chatting to those on your bus.

Cheers

mgilla

#21 DoggieDoctor

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

Not to mention what you did with that flag during twilight! Still have nightmares.