245 replies to this topic

#151 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:02 AM

Hi - I went out for a short run on the course yesterday, finishing at Binda Cabins having run most of the way with Undercover Brother (and the last part with Sir Runalot, B1&B2 and Ted).

I made a great mistake in crossing the Coxes River.  This was the coldest water that I have ever been in  :D and gave great pain for the next few kms - only to get a pain again at Little River.

The cold weather made for some interesting scenery - with some areas of frost covered ground - especially at the bottom of Nellie's Glen and around Megalong Valley Rd - where it got so cold that the water in the camel back froze and would come through the straw.

Undercover Bro - thanks for the company - it was great to run with you (and I was picking up on some of your running techniques for longer runs).  I hope that you finished well.

Sir Runalot and B1 or B2 - well done.

Cheers, David

Support our Australian advertisers:

#152 Innes

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:10 AM

13:10 for me, an hour and 20 outside of of PB but very happy with the run.

Ran most of first half with Dan, who decided not to continue back at Caves.

Graham and I duelled for most of the way back.

Good to see so many faces old and new out there yesterday.

Felt good all day, legs were great and feel amazing this morning haveing "taken it
easy".

Nellies however was another story, struggled up those never ending steps this year :D

Hope Keiran's ankle gets sorted and he is able to continue running.

Thanks Graham, Dan for the great company.

Innes

#153 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

Arrived safely back at the tree at 1:37am!!! ...finishing the last 12km with Ken Smith.
I stuck to my plan of going slow, treating it like a 100 miler to practice my pacing for GNW100s (I always go too fast too early for my training level).
6:51 to caves house and a long slow trip back to the tree.
I was getting sleepy, but it was nice to still have the legs to bound up Nellies.

So 6:51 out 11:46 return for a total of 18:37!

Ken Smith came home in 19:37 from his 6am start.

Great to see all the usuals out there and Spud coming home so strong.

- Grant

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 08 August 2010 - 09:47 AM.

#154 Brick

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

Had lots of fun at 12' Track yesterday.
Plan was for a nice eays day at 100 miler pace and come home strong.
Had an idea the following splist could work:
Plan Out 6:15
Plan Break Caves 10
Plan Return 7:30
Plan total 13:55 for the elusive sub 14:00 12' Track

Actual splits:
Out 6:12
11 minutes at caves house so left Caves at 6:23
Return 7:15.
Finished 13:38.

Felt so good this morning had a nice 5km Recovery run in 27:26, so very happy with the weekends training.

Just Did It
Give my regards to Keiran hope he repairs quickly.

#155 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

Forgot to say MQ got a bad hole just below her knee and UCB had a look at it and told her to go to the doctor ASAP.
Hope it is OK MQ.

#156 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

what a nice part of the world!
not often i have to get frost off the windscreen before driving to a start-line.
wish i could say i had a nice easy trot but will a few races coming up decided to push this one.
finished in 14.52 (6.43/8.09) which means my plan A of 6.20-30/7.30-40 splits for a sub-14 was clearly a delusion.
the strength was gone by mini on the way back and you know you're legs are shot when your walk is faster than your run :D
still managed a 3.15 walk up from the river.
the good thing about nellies is you know it's coming and you know it's going to be shit.
the bad thing is it how shit it is! :)
was so shagged at the end i left the key to my room in leura in the lock outside.

nice to chat with dave in the first half and the to and fro-ing with TP kept me going in the second.
nice to see old mates keiron t and jan out there as well as the usual ultra nutters: best of luck at UTMB jan.
hope everyones injuries heal up ok!

#157 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

The Ridler.

Could you please say thank you again form me to Jo for the travelling aid station.

B1orB2
Thanks Brian for the Pluvio Aid station is was great to see a friend and get some coke/water.
And I did manage to get two slices of cold Pizza at the end which was still beautiful.

Thanks to Luis/Sarah for the shower/beer and dinner.

#158 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

If I ever come up with a silly idea like that again can someone please, please throw a bucket of cold water over me.  I don't think I can honesty say I loved this run, its all still a bit too raw at the moment, but it was an amazing challenge that I'm very happy to have conquered.

Talk about the agony and the ecstasy.  It was one of the most stunning days you could ever ask for in the Blue Mountains and I chose to spend it inflicting major amounts of pain on my body.

My goal was to finish, I secretly hoped to do 16 hours.  So to touch the tree at 15 hours was way beyond my expectations.  

The highlights:

• Seeing the sun come up to a frosted landscape - talk about a winter wonderland
  • Arriving at Jenolan fresh as a daisy, or at least the wattle in my hair hadn't wilted at that stage
  • Brian and the aid station at Pluvi (THANKYOU!)
  • Jo and the aid station at Megalong Rd (THANK YOU!)
  • Turning a corner at the top of Pluvi and getting that first glimpse of the megalong on my return journey
  • The incredible support and encouragement for all the other runners
  • Seeing all the ultra legends in action, being completely in awe and feeling somewhat of an imposter
  • Tick-tacking with UCB in the afternoon and into the night (I'm glad to read you were buggered I'd hate to think you got off lightly  :D )

All was going well until a few KM's after Cox's.  Night had set in and my brain started playing games.  A few timely words of encouragement from Brick got me through to the 10km marker and from then on it was a battle of mind over body (or was it the other way around?).  I had no doubt I would get to the end I just wanted to still be breathing on arrival. I broke the rest of the run down into small milestones and celebrated every achievement.  There was a lot of gate and sign hugging going on.  Any excuse to take the weight off my legs if only for seconds. I was more excited about facing the stairs at Nellies than I probably should have been.  While they are long and hard the fact is they were the only thing between me and my car.  I counted everyone of them and gave a cheer every time I did 20.  An outsider would have thought I was an escapee from psychoville.

For all the stunning scenery in the Blue Mountains, all the sweeping views and escarpments,  I can now conclusively say that the most beautiful sight in all of the Blue Mountains is the post and rail barrier at the top of the Nellie Glen stairs. They got a big hug. And perhaps a tear or two. I not sure if they were tears of happiness or just sheer exhaustion.

Overall I'm happy with how the day went.  It was my fourth "proper" ultra and I'm starting to get a better understanding of how to run them which is making it that bit easier.  Still a LOT to learn and looking forward to the next challenge.

Keiran I hope you have a speedy recovery, its a sobering reminder of how easily accidents can happen.  And has there been any more news on MQ?

Thanks again to everyone I feel very privileged to be able to spend time with such an incredible group of people.

Kirrily

#159 Graham Wye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

Had a most enjoyable day out in the mountains. Thanks very much for the great suppport of Jo and Brian and others which made the day the best 12 Foot I have done (in 4 years). Got to Jenolan in 5:46, spent 9 minutes there and came back in 7:04 for a 50 min pb 13:02, so quite happy with that although it would have been nice to have done 2 minutes less. It was great to get to the river on the return trip well before dark this year, so Horrie and I had a bit of a look around before rejoining the track! Hopefully next time I can do the last section from the river to the finish in less than 3 hours. It's great to spend time running with such great company as Innes, Dan, Horrie (briefly), R2W and to meet The Ridler and Simon for the first time. MQ, I hope your leg gets better quickly I've never seen such a deep cut like that, right to the bone!

#160 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Had a great day. Ran 11.47.02 according to Garmin. 3859m ascending and 3859m descending. Time included 28 min of stoptime. I was surprised considering I stopped briefly at Caves road twice and Caves House once of course, had some time for ablutions.

Time was about 50 minutes quicker than last year, but last year I had about half an hour of accidental detours! I think I may have finished with second quickest time. There is so much walking involved that surely one can finish faster given more running and less walking.

Assistance from family was invaluable. I was fed and watered at the appropriate and needed times. Thanks guys.

Enjoyed some time running with others, albeit briefly. Well done fellow crazy people. :D

Most of the time i ran/walked solo. It is a wonderful place and time for solitude, especially as the sun goes down the light reflects off the mountains.

All the best to Keiran and his ankle. A bad blow. May you be running again in a few months, following rehab.

Attached Files

#161 Chelbub

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

Well done to all who competed in this monumental event...you are all success stories.  A special shout to Trailpuddin', I  always feel better when i see a post by you after these events so that I know you are still alive and kind of kicking!  (I am sure the posts enjoyed the hugs along the way!)

#162 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

Also a quick recovery for MQ.

Did any others get hurt?

I did not get hurt but I almost drowned at the Coxs River much to the amusement of Dan Bleakman and Innes just ahead of me. The phone in my pocket I think has died since. My gloves got saturated, and being cold blooded, I froze until my crew supplied with replacement gloves.

Determined not to repeat the mistake of clambering over the stepping rocks only to fall in anyway; on the return I planned to go directly through the river using the rope, only to get in and not be at the bit with the rope :D . Got across safely with water only to nipple line at deepest. I love that river crossing. It feels me with dread and uncertainity.

John

#163 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

View Postwalshy2, on Aug 6 2010, 08:36 PM, said:

have fun out there you nutters

I missed running with you for your ability to run and not walk!

Next year you should........

r2w

#164 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

Great work everyone, really enjoying the reports, keep them coming.

Not good to hear about the broken ankle.

MQ, hope you are ok ???

#165 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

What another beautiful day for 12ft, I never grow tired of this run, truly magical time of the year in the BMs.
I decided on an early start, had a hot date with the missus. :D I think there were about 5 of us starting just after 6am.
Great to see numbers were healthy with a few newcomers out there. Thanks heaps to Brian for the Pluvi aid station.
Sorry to hear about Kieran and Meredith, hope you guys recover well!
I finished in 11.39 with a halfway split of 5.05. 2nd half was ugly at times with plenty of Hardrock still in the legs but held it together to
run fairly solidly from the river, a pleasing training run for the silly season. Joined the masses today for the C2S finishing in 68mins. Might be my last though, I really wanted to sleep in this morning and it's just way too busy out there these days.

Oh and that new bridge they installed just before Megalong...couldn't quite get my head around it... why bother?

#166 walshy2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

View Postrun2work, on Aug 8 2010, 04:32 PM, said:

I missed running with you for your ability to run and not walk!

Next year you should........

r2w

I am certain there would be lots of walking for me in a 12ft track R2W

......mmmmmm the dark side, it is a bit tempting, so you never know, I guess  :D

Edited by walshy2, 08 August 2010 - 06:51 PM.

#167 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

View PostSpud, on Aug 8 2010, 06:44 PM, said:

Oh and that new bridge they installed just before Megalong...couldn't quite get my head around it... why bother?

I think the bridge will have approaches built up to it eventually. There is a similiar one in a gully near where I live, and it looks like a 'pimple on a pumpkin'. I climb onto it when I run that way, just because it is there. I could go round quite easily, but I figure it is there so I may as well use it.

r2w

#168 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

I ran around it both times. Interesting use of funds though.

#169 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

View Postwalshy2, on Aug 8 2010, 06:49 PM, said:

I am certain there would be lots of walking for me in a 12ft track R2W

......mmmmmm the dark side, it is a bit tempting, so you never know, I guess  :D

Ahh the 'dark side'. I think it is calling. The pleasure.... (and the pain). I have not really entered into the hard core stuff like Spud, Brick, Graham Wye, Milov etc. Some of the longer ones do beckon however, but I am ignoring the call at this stage.

r2w

#170 rodthehornet

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

View PostSpud, on Aug 8 2010, 06:44 PM, said:

I thought the same.  It really is a minor creek crossing and the bridge would be worth a packet.  For the cost of the bridge, could have spread the improvements over the track - maybe better signage, improve the stairs on Nellies Glen, some on course history/information maps etc.

Must be some logic to the exercise.....

#171 EverReadyBunny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Shame to miss this one but have enjoyed reading all the updates and made the right choice as I tried to run saturday and couldn't run a step.

Well done to more girls getting out there, Trailpudding, Dutchie and B1 all making their 12 foot track debuts and doing sensational.

Clare and Sailaway finished together in 14.50 and 15.50 (different starts times).

and MQ tough as nails. I can't believe you ran on and then later found out stitches were required.

Edited by EverReadyBunny, 08 August 2010 - 07:35 PM.

#172 KeiranHogan

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Hi all,

many thanks to the runners and supporters who helped yesterday when I managed to break my leg.  

The accident happened at the new little bridge just before the Megalong rd.  I approached the bridge not realising it was not finished, and slipped on the grey wet clay just ahead of it.  I kind of speared feet first into one of the bridge foundations.  I saw the leg break and heard the crack which was not encouraging at all.  

Fortunately I had a good signal (Telstra, I am sorry for all the things Ive ever said about you) and within a couple of minutes had contacted 000 and had help on the way.  Two ambulances and a helicopter arrived in about 25 minutes, bringing experts and morphine (the left leg had 25% bend where there should not be a bend).   A few runners arrived shortly after and gave excellent support thanks Louie, Jan, Dan, Martin and the ones whose names I forget. (Louie, I have $2 for you for the space blanket :D)

Ironic that the only man made thing I came across could be the cause of my misfortune - (yeah there were a few stiles and they are a bit dangerous too!).  And what would that bridge be for?

The emergency support was fantastic and when I got to hospital they quickly and cheerfully straightened the bent bits and re-aligned the broken ends, and plastered the leg pending surgery.  But now, 26 hrs later, Im still in hospital, waiting, waiting, waiting, on a drip, fasting, in pain .....  etc. etc.   There are life & death case bumping me and Ill eventually get pinned and screwed when they are all looked after.   Id strongly recommend not having accidents on weekends.

Anyway, thanks again for the support and the best wishes,

Keiran Hogan

#173 SMC42K

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

View Postrodthehornet, on Aug 8 2010, 07:12 PM, said:

I thought the same.  It really is a minor creek crossing and the bridge would be worth a packet.  For the cost of the bridge, could have spread the improvements over the track - maybe better signage, improve the stairs on Nellies Glen, some on course history/information maps etc.

Must be some logic to the exercise.....
Rod, I thought you would understand beaurocracy, "the money is there, it isn't coming out of my pocket directly, so it MUST be spent otherwise they might cut my budget."

#174 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

View PostKeiranHogan, on Aug 8 2010, 08:47 PM, said:

Ironic that the only man made thing I came across could be the cause of my misfortune - (yeah there were a few stiles and they are a bit dangerous too!).  And what would that bridge be for?

Keiran Hogan

May the operation proceed soon.

I understand there is an undercover band of runners heading for the megalong road, to dismantle a certain bridge. :D

r2w

#175 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

View Postrun2work, on Aug 8 2010, 09:28 PM, said:

May the operation proceed soon.
ditto!

from weatherzone...
temp/apparent temp
6am: -0.4/-3.0
7am: -0.9/-4.7
8.30pm: 1.2/-1.7
peaked at 10 degrees at 3pm

#176 ratdog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

You guys are awesome and so inpiring.  Did anyone do the hermann (sp?) double?

Best of luck with the Leg Operation and subsequent recovery.

#177 Louie de Fly

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:02 AM

[quote name='KeiranHogan' date='Aug 8 2010, 05:47 AM' post='592373']
Hi all,

many thanks to the runners and supporters who helped yesterday when I managed to break my leg.  

I have $2 for you for the space blanket :D)

Anyway, thanks again for the support and the best wishes,

Keiran Hogan

Hi
Glad you got support so quick
You owe me nothing I have recieved great support from all the ultra runners it's one of the great things i like the people support each other no matter what

Could not see you lying in muddy water waiting for help not knowing how long it would be, when you told your wife that you were warm your leggs told me you were lying I was cold just standing there

Hope you're recovery goes well see you on the trails someday just take your time

Ps
Your foot was bent at 90 degrees not a 25% bend not nice I think you need glasses
All the best
Lou

Edited by Louie de Fly, 09 August 2010 - 07:54 AM.

#178 MQ

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

Oh poor Keiran, that totally sucks I hope you recover well.

This is definitely one of my favourite runs, had a great time running with all you CRs, particuarly Gareth and Matt who were lucky enough to witness me having a "fall" haha. Too much track running evidently, I was on the way to Coxes, ended up on my ass, not before ripping a massive hole in my leg. Nice work. If it was not for my long skins I probably would have had ANOTHER dnf......what you can't see can't hurt you. The two trips through the coxes river were not the ideal way of cleaning the wound either, although made it nice and numb - nature's anaesthetic.

Gareth and I ended up finishing 13:47, which was pretty good considering we were kidding ourselves that we did not need head torches at the end of the mini hill down to the river. It was apparently due to some recent carrot consumption that helped Gareth make it to the river before donning the torch. We made up for it at the other side though and did a 2:40 to the end. So it ended up as 6:28 to Jenolan, 12 minutes stop and then 7:07 to the end, not a bad split.

Thanks B1 and B2 for that fabulous aid station at Pluvi!!! awesome. Oh and the Megalong road aid station - how great was that!

Like Keiran I also turned up to hospital at a bad time, I got there at 10:30 and did not see a doctor untill 3am, and didn't get out of there untill 9:30am - most of the time being on Nil by mouth......bit of a killer when you know what you have been up to all day and have had no dinner haha. The amazing thing was that the gash did not hurt at all, the aderenilin was still coursing through my body and they were able to clean it out without a local, The nurses kept asking me, what is your pain level out of 10....um 0? (No brain no pain) I am usually a real whimp with these things too. Although certainly needed a local when it was sewn up!

#179 TooKeen

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

Had a great time out there on Saturday and even managed to aviod the male ego by sticking to my plan and not whiping myself out by doing the whole run, even though the thought of chasing Kirrily down was very entising! :D

Ran to Caves House then back out to Caves Road in bang on 8 hours, exactly what I thought I would do, so very happy.
Great fun running & chatting with Meridith & Gareth most of the way, Gareth will kill it at Glasshouse!
Hope the knee get better soon Meredith, it was quite spectactular to watch.
Nice to meet other "crazies" as my better half calls me!
Huge thanks to Jo for the ride down & the support, and to Kim for the ride home, well done Riddler, hopethe C2S wasn't too ugly!

Hope the leg gets better soon Keiren, really bad luck!
See you all next year for the full run.

Edited by TooKeen, 09 August 2010 - 09:09 AM.

#180 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

View Postratdog, on Aug 8 2010, 11:39 PM, said:

You guys are awesome and so inpiring.  Did anyone do the hermann (sp?) double?
I believe Spud and Horrie both completed the Hermann Double

If alls good, Me and GoGirl (and her mate) could be heading up for our fatass's fatass 12Ft.
I think I will pick up an EPRIB just to be sure...

#181 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

I also did the Hermann, I swear C2S was harder!

I had a awesome day - felt really good and just enjoyed the whole run. Really enjoyed running with Matt and MQ. One tough cookie MQ is  - when I saw her 'grazed' knee I felt a little ill. And wow the runner who broke his ankle hope you recover well too.

Thanks for the roving aid stations, they really were great.

#182 TheRidler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Hi all,

I'm a bit late calling in, but better late than never. I had a great day, met some fantastic people and the scenery was breathtaking. This very different to the Six Foot and it was good to stop and look around every once in a while.

My times were;

Six foot 6.12
left caves 6.30
Finish 15.26

Everything was good untill it got dark and I lost my way a bit at the river. Then with about 12km to go I felt a twinge in my right calf. I was unable to run from about 8kms out. As I write this I can't straighten my leg properly ( I don't think it's serious though). I decided not to try the C2S though.

Yes my wife Jo is fantastic, but thanyou all for your kind words. I bet you are all a little jealous and wish you had one just like her. I certainly appreciated her support.

See you all at the GNW

Ridler :D

#183 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

There is something really special about 12 Foot day and this year proved it yet again. Getting out there with about a dozen or so like minded people enjoying a nice trail in perfect conditions. It absolutely doesn't get any better than this. Sorry to hear about the accidents to Keiran an MQ. I hope you both recover well so you can get out there soon.

I started in the second wave at 6.30 as I arrived around 6.15 so missed the early starters. When I thought about the prospect of standing around in the cold for another half hour, it was really the only option to take.

An uneventful run down to the river saw me pass Dutchie and Lastish just after entering the single track. Not long later I came across Trailpuddin's brother who held one of the gates open which allowed me to pass. I then caught Trailpuddin not long before Cox's River. She was in 2 minds whether to wait for her brother or not. When I told her he was a fair way behind, she decided to keep going. Knowing how cold it was I was not looking forward to crossing the river so tried to clamber across the rocks to try and remain dry. I failed dismally and ended up falling in the water anyway. Trailpuddin then proceeded to take a direct route across and scampered away from me. I then sat down and emptied the rocks out of my shoe picked up while crossing the river and pulled out a honey fruit bread sandwich and proceeded to climb towards Mini Mini saddle. I soon caught back up to Trailpuddin and then had another early starter in sight. His identity was blown as soon as I caught a glimpse of his walking poles. It had to be Undercover Brother as only a Mellumite would use poles on the 6 Foot Track. He stopped at Mini Mini to take off a layer of clothing as once out in the openness you start to feel the warmth of the sun. As the only extra layer I had on were my gloves, my removal of a layer was quicker than UCB's and I bade him farewell. I then caught a glimpse of another early starter and could not identify him from a distance but as I was not making much ground on him, knew that he was a handy runner. It turned out to be David C who has run about a dozen 6 Foot Track races. I caught him as we approached Allum River. He said he was only going as far as Binda Cabins. We crossed the 3 creeks together but I left him as we commenced the climb to the Pluviometer. I arrived there just before 3 and a half hours and ran into B1 or B2 (I don't know who is who in that relationship!) who informed me he had just set up the aid station and I could help myself to anything I wanted. I declined, popped a couple of Cliff Shot Blocks and an S Cap and proceeded to run the Black Range. Once there I bumped into Pommie Jo who asked if I needed anything. I didn't at that stage but told her I was looking forward to some coke at Caves House. I decided to refill my bladder at the Deviation Camp Ground for the run down and climb back out of Jenolan Caves. I thought I might have some company soon as I was waiting for these greyhounds from Wave 3 but did not see anybody until Just Did It passed me a couple of kms after Caves Rd crossing. Not long later I bumped into Spud climbing out of Jenolan Caves. I arrived at Caves House in 5:56, took a couple of cups of coke which Pommie Jo had laid out for everybody, took a vegemite sandwich out of my pack, bade Just Did It farewell as I commenced the long and arduous climb out of Jenolan Caves. This is the beginning of the tough sections you face on the way back. Soon there were Wave 3 runners passing me frequently. B2 or B1 with Sir Runalot, then Run2Work, then Cookie Man with Steve Guest, not long later Graham Wye, then the 2 English gentleman Innes and Chair Boy Bleakman who once again showed how soft he is by dropping at Caves House. So much for giving me a pat on the bottom as you passed me CBB.  :) I then got a surprise when UCB and Trailpuddin were closing in on Caves House a lot sooner than I had expected to see them. Then there were a steady stream of runners crossing paths. Dutchie, Lastish, Brick, Sailaway and Raw Aussie Athlete before Caves Rd and finally Louie de Fly in the Deviation. I once again stopped at the Deviation Camp Ground to refill my bladder for the return to Cox's River. B2 or B1 must have passed while I was in here as I was caught by Sir Runalot at the start of Black Range who asked if I had seen her. Then it was a lonely plod back to Cox's River as I did not see another runner in this section. I did make use of the Pluviometer aid station on the return and indulged on a chocolate chip muffin washed down by 2 cups of coke. When I arrived at Cox's River I filled my bladder for the climb to the finish. Graham Wye had arrived just as I was putting my pack back on so we crossed the river together. We were both happy to see each other and proceeded to make the climb up from the river together. While we were chatting, we missed the turn to the lower correct trail and proceeded to climb up towards private property. We were both feeling really good, were discussing how we were both on target for PBs and because of this made a few basic mistakes until Graham said this part of the trail didn't look familiar. Whilst running back I realised none of it looked familiar because it was the wrong trail. Graham then took off with some downhill bush bashing and left me in his dust. By the time I had rejoined the proper trail he was out of sight. I had realised that we had added at least a km to our journey and cost ourselves at least 10 minutes. I then set about running as much of this section as I could before complete darkness closed in. I probably got to within 2 or 3 km from the end of this single trail when I had to get my torch out. It is amazing how much slower it is when you lose the natural light. This section of trail is quite technical and you just start to trip and stumble the more you try to run. When I reached the 10km to go marker I realised that if I could do it in 2 hours I would still get a PB. So once the trail smoothed out I started running again. I soon got to Megalong Rd where Pommie Jo was waiting again. She kindly showed me where she stashed my can of V and Salt and Vinegar chips. I thanked her and set about getting back to Explorer's Tree as quick as I could to beat my PB. I was running as much as I could and as the trail started going uphill I was using a run/walk strategy to keep myself moving as quickly as I could. By the time I got to Nellie's Glen I was feeling pretty stuffed but just kept willing myself to climb as strong as I could. The watch kept edging towards my PB and I was running out of time. I finally got to the gate at the top of Nellie's Glen and realised that the worst was over. The only problem was that I only had a few minutes left to get my PB. So I again tried to run/walk as much as I could. I finally hit the road and ran to the tree as best as I could to touch it in 13:48 which I thought equalled my PB. However a check of my records now tell me I missed it by 1 minute. So close yet so far. I was happy enough with my 3rd sub 14, realising I am nowhere near the shape I was in when I ran my PB. Experience in this caper must be a wonderful thing.  :p

Thanks to Pommie Jo and B1 or B2 for the fantastic support with aid stations and taking my stash to Megalong Rd. As Louie said, the ultra community is always so willing to support each other.

As for the Hermann double, I did run the City 2 Surf with Timmeister in 2 hours and 7 minutes which was a big PB for him. :D

#184 emdee

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Hey, there are too many injured Cougars out there. I hope the one remaining fit and strong Cougar will be able to carry the rest of us round the Oxfam!

#185 LongDistancePictures

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

Great reports everyone. Sounds like a hoot (except for the bits that sound really painful and difficult!).

Sorry about your fall MQ - hope your leg's healing well.

Cheers

Sue

#186 nite_time_runner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

Great reports people - very inspiring. I admire the comradierie and sense of adventure that comes across in fatass trail runners.

I hope the injured recover well and fast!! Atleast you have stories to tell!

View PostSpud, on Aug 8 2010, 02:44 AM, said:

Joined the masses today for the C2S finishing in 68mins. Might be my last though, I really wanted to sleep in this morning and it's just way too busy out there these days.
I took no real pleasure from passing you in the C2S yesterday, given what you did the day before!! Funny though, you were definatley struggling with the masses - I could see from a distance as I approached, that your body language, and slightly defensive elbow positioning, showed that the crowd was an issue!!  I am sure you had no problems like that on Saturday!

Edited by nite_time_runner, 09 August 2010 - 11:33 AM.

#187 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

well that was fun, even though I only went halfway.  Finding Kieran flat on his back with his legs on the bridge was the low point but the rescue seemed to go well. hope you recover soon.
there is a curious connection that keeps popping into my mind.  Teddy bear's picnic?
from the start at the tree all the way to the caves I was just plodding along wondering who would be the first to return, it was of course Rod and then some time later a flying Spud. and then the crowd including a fiercely determined trail pudding
MQ you must either have no nerves or nerves of steel, get well soon.

I am still stiff and may take a week off

#188 Neo

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

Sounds like an awesome day - what an adventure.

A speedy recovery to those injured.

View Postgogirl, on Aug 5 2010, 10:46 AM, said:

I can't make it this weekend to 12ft so I will be running it next saturday if anyone is interested.

we can call it "Nat's 12ft fatass..."

Hey gogirl, are you still running 12ft this Saturday? I would love to run it with you, a perfect lead up to GH100 next month.

Anyone else keen?

#189 Running Angel

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

As for the Hermann double, I did run the City 2 Surf with Timmeister in 2 hours and 7 minutes which was a big PB for him. :D
[/quote]

Saw you guys run past at the bottom of Military Road, Timmeister was looking very comfortable! Awesome run, well done to you both

:)

#190 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

View PostHorrie, on Aug 9 2010, 10:44 AM, said:

Chair Boy Bleakman who once again showed how soft he is by dropping at Caves House. So much for giving me a pat on the bottom as you passed me CBB.

No chairs for me on Saturday Horrie... someone forgot to put them out for me.

Edited by djbleakman, 09 August 2010 - 02:22 PM.

#191 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

View PostHorrie, on Aug 9 2010, 10:44 AM, said:

While we were chatting, we missed the turn to the lower correct trail and proceeded to climb up towards private property. We were both feeling really good, were discussing how we were both on target for PBs and because of this made a few basic mistakes until Graham said this part of the trail didn't look familiar.

I would have words to Graham about this, as while we were running together towards the river, I thanked him for reminding me of this mistake that can be made, as he had made it previously. :D  Are you sure it was not a deliberate attempt to exhaust you. You never know with Graham, the 'silent assassin'.

r2w

#192 Louie de Fly

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

View PostNeo, on Aug 8 2010, 09:22 PM, said:

Sounds like an awesome day - what an adventure.

A speedy recovery to those injured.

Hey gogirl, are you still running 12ft this Saturday? I would love to run it with you, a perfect lead up to GH100 next month.

Anyone else keen?

I'am tempted if I do I'll be at the back of the pack 7.00am start

Had a great day finished in about 18h.50min never expected to do better than finish
Arrived early and decided to start at seven starting and finishing in the dark was not an option besides I thought it would be warmer not so it was cold in the shade
My main aim was to lose some weight and run as slow as I could and get ks in my leggs
After turning around at pluvi last year getting to the halfway point would have been an achievement talking about the support from the other runners spud stopped about 1 to 2 ks after deviation on his return to ask how I was going after he and tim pulled my sorry arse off the track at last years race and slowing down to make sure I was moving then to make matters worse I pulled out of GH 100 on the Thursday before the race due to illness not a good year/
Was tempted to get a lift back with martin would have been nice to sit in a warm car instead of run walking
Went well till I got to coxs then got slower and slower the stairs at nellies glen were not appreciated I was one of the sooks who went over the bridge on the return ran in a tee shirt and shorts over and back the water in coxs was warm until you got out. Last year I put my thermals on before then went through the water bad mistake.
Talking about sooks since when do fatass runs have their own mobile iga stores
Glad with my run used half a can of coke and one litre of water due to the cold
Looking forward to  GH100 different race different strategy
Did a 10k run walk Sunday morning about 30min out 50min return
Apart from my leggs feeling sore I feel good thanks to everyone who was there
Just finished an 80min bike ride instead of 8km monday run tp rest my leggs

All the best
Lou

Edited by Louie de Fly, 09 August 2010 - 05:27 PM.

#193 Graham Wye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

"I would have words to Graham about this, as while we were running together towards the river, I thanked him for reminding me of this mistake that can be made, as he had made it previously.  Are you sure it was not a deliberate attempt to exhaust you. You never know with Graham, the 'silent assassin'.
r2w"

Thanks R2W. No, I just thought Horrie might have known a short cut. A silent assassin doesn't usually shoot himself!

After seeing you fall into the river I decided to just walk through myself rather than try to balance on the slippery rocks and I think it worked out much better that way!

By the way, great effort in surpassing your goal time that must have been very satisfying. Also first in your age group!

#194 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

Was tempted to get a lift back with martin would have been nice to sit in a warm car instead of run walking

Lou
[/quote]

Well then I am glad that I did not tempt you when we last met. well done mate

#195 Animal

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

Well done on epic run all, sounds like a must do at some stage. Haven't run more than 45k in any race thus far but that might have to change soon cause these ultras sound hard-core.

2011 i am going to have to commit to something big, probably Great Nth Walk 100 to start with.

#196 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

View PostTooKeen, on Aug 9 2010, 09:07 AM, said:

even though the thought of chasing Kirrily down was very entising! :D

You cheeky critter.

That's quite funny - coming up from the river I saw a single head torch gaining and thought if that's TooKeen I'm going to be cranky!  Fortunately it was Brick - happy to be overtaken by a legend. You wait 'til GNW.

MQ you've confirmed something I have suspected for quite a while - you are actually superwoman and made of steel.  You weren't even limping...

And also forgot to mention - JustDidIt - you'll be happy to know my "wattle" made it home in one piece - the same couldn't be said for my "waddle"...aahh the hours of amusement a misunderstanding can deliver...

Hopefully will have some photos to upload very soon.

#197 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

Just read through the thread to collate results and realised this is probably the first time Joggerkev has not been on a 12ft thread forever.  :D
Meantime, results can be found here. Some blanks for halfway splits etc. Let me know and I will complete the list.

Cheers

#198 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

View PostSpud, on Aug 10 2010, 07:50 PM, said:

Just read through the thread to collate results and realised this is probably the first time Joggerkev has not been on a 12ft thread forever.  :D
Meantime, results can be found here. Some blanks for halfway splits etc. Let me know and I will complete the list.

Cheers
you can add me in for 6ft in about 8 hours

#199 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

Some photos from the early morning taken by my brother.  Who are the softies using the swing bridge?  Also Keiran beware there is a photo of "that" bridge.

Attached File  12ft_2.jpg   167.63K   81 downloadsAttached File  12ft_3.jpg   95.15K   44 downloadsAttached File  12ft_4.jpg   130.52K   43 downloadsjpg]Attached File  12ft_5.jpg   132.62K   52 downloadsAttached File  12ft_7.jpg   197.05K   52 downloadsAttached File  12ft_8.jpg   194.2K   51 downloads_8.jpg]Attached File  12ft_9.jpg   144.49K   55 downloads

#200 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

Sorry Martin, done. Nice photos TP, including the rather odd new bridge.