• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 sapz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:04 AM

Hi everyone,

I need to try and explain this problem without making it sound worse than it really is!

When I run during the cold months of the year, I find that I get really bad chest pain which I know for a fact is not my heart, but I actually think it could be related to my breathing. It causes considerable discomfort (but I never feel as though I am going to pass out or anything) and has on occasions radiated to my upper back. I do get very mild asthma so that could also be a potential cause.....The pain caused is fairly intense and feels like I am putting a 'heavy load' on my lungs.

I am really keen to get to the bottom of this because it is decreasing my enjoyment of running immensely and makes a difficult time of year to train even harder.

As I mentioned, it is ony during cold weather, in warmer weather I have no such condition.

I will be going to see a doctor, but I would be really interested to find out if anyone has had similar problems??

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Brownie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:14 AM

Steve,
This could stem directly from your asthama, I often have chest spasms during cold weather.  This occurs when you excercise and start to breathe more heavily/deeply and suck in cold air which in turn can cause the bronchiols (sp??) to contract.  The sudden contraction can cause pain and difficulty in breathing.  

I often resort to running at lunch so as not to get the cold morning or evening air or at last resort turn to the treadmill!!!

#3 Cam-er-run

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:46 AM

sapz,

It sounds as if it is a spinal related problem if you are getting back pain as well, as the chest pain. If the spine is not functioning as well as it can then movement is decreased through this area and also the rib cage.
The reason why it maybe only occurring in the winter months is because the muscles surrounding the area haven't warmed up as much and are also tighter then normal. You would still have the problem in summer but the body is better able to disguise the symptoms.
I am a chiropractor so know a little about function of the spine, and body. A good indicator of whether it is spinal related is to stand in the mirror at home and look to see whether one of your shoulders is lower than the other. Other symptoms you may be getting is tightness in between your shoulder blades during long periods of sitting, inability to take a full breath in.
If you want to contact me or post another message with any other related symptoms please do. I am also available on my email if you want more advice.
Just a note also on the benefits of chriopractic in helping asthma please check out this website www.ozchiropractic.com/../Research/asthma.htm

Cam-er-run

The body can achieve, what the mind can perceive.

#4 jph

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 09:02 AM

Sapz,
I also have a similiar problem and am sure it relates to Asthma, I think that asthmatics lungs are super sensitive and the sudden cold air causes some constriction. I find it tends to go after a few km's, maybe the key is a longer warm up, so it is less of a shock to the system.

#5 ralph

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:48 AM

I agree with JPG. I also suffer from mild asthma and have slight chest pain on cold days. I have found that a longer warm up before pushing myself and being about to get my breathing into a strong pattern, stops the on-set of chest pain. I also have one puff of ventilon before each run, purely as a preventative. Start of slow and easy and your body will probably get used to the workout more easily.

#6 Tambo

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 02:59 PM

Sapz,
I experience the same problem in the colder weather, which I've always attributed to asthma. I just increase my preventative inhaler (seretide) during winter, which seems to do the trick. My asthma is only mild, so I don't have any problems in summer.
Of course, it would be best to check with the doc before you altered your dosage.
Good luck!
T