91 replies to this topic

#1 HalfDayDave

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

Only 3 weeks to go until the mother of all 100milers and I am excited/petrified to be one of the lucky runners accepted for this years tour through the Alps.  Good luck to all the other Aussie runners, I hope your training has gone well and that you have a good race - see you in Chamonix!
Cheers,
Dave.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

Good luck Dave, I'm sure you will have a blast over there, it truly is a remarkable location and wonderful experience.
Save some for day 2!

Registerd Australians for the 100 miler.
4283 CAMPBELL  Mickey V1 H - AU AU Registered
2694 COOMBS  David SE H - AU GB Registered
4244 GOERKE  Damon SE H - AU AU Registered
2740 HERRMANN  Jan V1 H - AU AU Registered
3210 THOMPSON  William V3 H - AU AU Registered

Go hard Aussies!
Special mention to the Herrmannator, have a great run mate!

#3 GLASSMAN

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

View PostSpud, on Aug 1 2010, 10:33 PM, said:

Good luck Dave, I'm sure you will have a blast over there, it truly is a remarkable location and wonderful experience.
Save some for day 2!

Registerd Australians for the 100 miler.
4283 CAMPBELL  Mickey V1 H - AU AU Registered
4244 GOERKE  Damon SE H - AU AU Registered
2740 HERRMANN  Jan V1 H - AU AU Registered
3210 THOMPSON  William V3 H - AU AU Registered

Go hard Aussies!
Special mention to the Herrmannator, have a great run mate!
Bill Thompson flies out for FRANCE on Thursday so he can spend some time pre race checking out the course.

#4 HalfDayDave

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

View PostSpud, on Aug 2 2010, 02:33 PM, said:

Save some for day 2!

Cheers Spud.  I enjoyed reading your inspiring report from last year, its really useful to get a perspective on the race from someone who has run before.  I've decide to run without poles though - may regret this decision when I hit the first hill!

#5 AndrewC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

You can add Jim Villiers to the list again this year - he's an Australian living in Switzerland.  His race number is 13 (which was his finishing position in UTMB 2009).  He's been living away for quite some time now, but I think Jim is still pretty well known to the Sydney running community.  It will be a bit of a reunion for Jim and Damon, as they both competed in MdS 2008 where they finished not too far apart and lived in nearly neighbouring tents. Both nice guys and great competitors.  Should be an interesting race.

- AndrewC

#6 cnoble

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

View PostSpud, on Aug 2 2010, 02:33 PM, said:

But what is the GB next to your name Dave?

#7 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

Indeed Andrew, Jim ran a blinder last year, will be keen to see how he goes this time round with yet another year of mountainous training behind him.
Good luck to Bill Thompson too, what a blast he'll be having pre-race training on the course.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how the race unfolds up front. Killian and Roes back at it after their WS tussle and with Jurek and Meltzer in the mix..? It's about time the male US competitors stepped up and made the top 10. That said there will be plenty of very talented European runners looking to have a say.

Edited by Spud, 03 August 2010 - 08:41 AM.

#8 Brick

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

View PostSpud, on Aug 3 2010, 08:41 AM, said:

Indeed Andrew, Jim ran a blinder last year, will be keen to see how he goes this time round with yet another year of mountainous training behind him.
Good luck to Bill Thompson too, what a blast he'll be having pre-race training on the course.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how the race unfolds up front. Killian and Roes back at it after their WS tussle and with Jurek and Meltzer in the mix..? It's about time the male US competitors stepped up and made the top 10. That said there will be plenty of very talented European runners looking to have a say.
I agree spud.
I have been reading Geoff Roes blog and his Training Log since before WS100 and he is still in really good form.

Also would like to add.

Go for it Jan and Bill will be watching your progress closely.

#9 AndrewC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

View PostSpud, on Aug 3 2010, 06:41 AM, said:

I somehow doubt he'll challenge those guys at the end, but, if he is fit, even at the age of 63, Marco Olmo (bib #2004) will keep them more than honest for at least, let's say, the first 120km. :)  He's won this event twice in the recent past, so he knows his way around the course. He is both a gentleman and a beautiful runner.  I'll be cheering for him.

#10 HalfDayDave

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

View Postcnoble, on Aug 3 2010, 08:39 AM, said:

But what is the GB next to your name Dave?

Hedging my bets!

View PostSpud, on Aug 3 2010, 08:41 AM, said:

I can't honestly see anyone getting near Killian, that is unless he decides to run to the start line from his home in Spain...

#11 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

I tend to agree Dave, he is just that good over mountainous terrain. Would love to see him race Hardrock.
I actually bumped into him at Denver airport recently, he was on the same flight to London. Had a good ole chat. He had been training with Krupicka and Jurek in Boulder post Western States. Great guy, extremely humble and with an infectious enthusiasm for alpine running.
Personally hope he takes it out again.

#12 Beaver

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

Spud, thanks for telling Killian Gnw entries open next week.

#13 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

Actually I was telling him about the Alpine100 miler too, he was interested, would love to come downunder.

#14 walker1st

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Killian has booked Jindabyne motel for C2K breakfast

#15 Ironfrog

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hi Spud,

How do UTMB and Hardrock compare?

#16 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:33 AM

View PostIronfrog, on Aug 5 2010, 09:36 PM, said:

Hi Spud,

How do UTMB and Hardrock compare?

I've had a bit of time to think about this. I would place Hardrock marginally ahead of UTMB in terms of overall toughness.

The average elevation (over 11,000ft) of the Hardrock course just makes it that bit tougher. I was in the best shape of my life at Hardrock but the altitude still knocked me about. I couldn't train for this.
I only had 8 days prior to race day to acclimatise, 3 weeks would have been better.

UTMB has a different set of difficulties, similar amount of accumulative ascent but at a lower average elevation.
6.30pm start guarantees 2 nights. This definitely made for a tough 2nd day/night.
Only 1 drop bag possible at UTMB at halfway. Not too big a deal as there are plenty of aid stations but could be a hassle for some.
I had to carry way more stuff at UTMB, more stringent gear/food requirements.

Hardrock climbs are simply tougher because of the lack of oxygen. Hardrock is 'rockier' with far more running above the treeline on loose scree etc. Add the possibility of having to traverse large snow fields and adverse weather, you got the ingredients of a tough mother. Some of the descents on Hardrock have to be seen to be believed, way more gnarlier than UTMB (and way more fun too, glissading is a hoot)

Interestingly, I was definitely more smashed after UTMB than Hardrock. I think that was down to being fitter for Hardock and not having to run through a second night. Oh and I used trekking poles at Hardrock which helped heaps.

Both fantastic experiences I will cherish forever.

Have fun at UTMB guys, wish I was there..

#17 Unlikelyrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

Ive managed to climb Mt Blanc, via the difficult traverse route.  

But run 100 miles up in the mountains, at altitude, in what can be blistering heat and freezing cold all in the same blink of an eye, amazingly tough.  I dip my hat to the lot of you!

#18 Gazman

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

View PostHalfDayDave, on Aug 2 2010, 09:05 PM, said:

Cheers Spud.  I enjoyed reading your inspiring report from last year, its really useful to get a perspective on the race from someone who has run before.  I've decide to run without poles though - may regret this decision when I hit the first hill!

Good luck Dave and I hope you have a great event. You are in form based on your GCM time, even though the terrain will be different :D . It will be great to hear your story when you get back.

Also thank you for your work on my calf. Started back running and things seem to be going well, but taking it slowly.

Go for it.

#19 HalfDayDave

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

View PostGazman, on Aug 6 2010, 12:35 PM, said:

Good luck Dave and I hope you have a great event. You are in form based on your GCM time, even though the terrain will be different :D . It will be great to hear your story when you get back.

Also thank you for your work on my calf. Started back running and things seem to be going well, but taking it slowly.

Go for it.

Cheers Gary - I'll definitely let you know how it all goes.  I'm glad to hear your calf is ok and you're back running again, what is the next target?

#20 Jords

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:19 AM

View PostHalfDayDave, on Aug 2 2010, 01:31 PM, said:

Only 3 weeks to go until the mother of all 100milers and I am excited/petrified to be one of the lucky runners accepted for this years tour through the Alps.  Good luck to all the other Aussie runners, I hope your training has gone well and that you have a good race - see you in Chamonix!
Cheers,
Dave.

UTMB is for pussies.  :D

Just kidding obviously... fire up Dave - you're gonna kill it mate. You're a machine. To quote John Conner on the Terminator "can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with and will not stop until you're dead" - well that could be taking it a bit far but you get the sentiment. haha.

Happy travels
J

#21 walker1st

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:55 AM

interesting situation :
the regular checkup of the glacier showed, there is huge amount of cold water trapped in the glacier,
noty able to flow out, the volume is estimated at 20 olympic size pools and is building huge presure.
lasttime this happened was around 1890's and the break and flood and avalnche following killed about 200 people, butthese day it is likely more poeple and building to be in danger.
Mayor of StGervais said they are going to attempt to pump the trapped water out, the operation starts second part of AUG and could last 3 months.
I do not have link to info in english

#22 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

View PostAndrewC, on Aug 3 2010, 04:12 PM, said:

I somehow doubt he'll challenge those guys at the end, but, if he is fit, even at the age of 63, Marco Olmo (bib #2004) will keep them more than honest for at least, let's say, the first 120km. :D  He's won this event twice in the recent past, so he knows his way around the course. He is both a gentleman and a beautiful runner.  I'll be cheering for him.

Its hard to find much about Marco in english webpages, but he seems to have struggled with injury over last few years. Its still  a safe be that he'll be the first over-60 to the finish line, and that's about as inspiring as it gets for an older runner like me who'd like to do the UTMB one day.

Killian seems a nice guy and obviously a top athlete, but is it Killian's Quest or just another promotional vehicle for a gear manufacturer? Marco's story is much more like real life (read about him here: http://runtrails.org/articles/?p=754)

Race date is Friday 27 August starting in the afternoon and running through Friday night.
Website is http://www.ultratrailmb.com
Does anyone know how it works on the day if you want to follow progress?

Edited by Greg_Waite, 18 August 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#23 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Greg, there is usually a 'live' update page on the website once the race has started, least there was last year. You can follow runners by name or bib# usually.
I see the website has been revamped too, much better English version.

#24 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

Some good UTMB coverage at trailrunningsoul.com. Interviews with Roes, Jornet, Meltzer and Sherpa amongst others here.

#25 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:48 AM

View PostSpud, on Aug 19 2010, 12:59 PM, said:

Greg, there is usually a 'live' update page on the website once the race has started, least there was last year. You can follow runners by name or bib# usually.
I see the website has been revamped too, much better English version.

Can't see anything on the site about results - any tips anyone? Should have started by now, NZ time. PS I checked name Roes mentioned above, he's from Alaska won Western States this year in a new race record ahead of Anton Krupicka and Kilian Jornet, so its a very competitive field this year, will be interesting to see how they go.

Also to see if the debate from earlier years re-emerges, about cutting corners in trail races. Now that races are so big it seems we have to stick to the trails these days, we can't be seen to damage the environment if we want approvals for big events. For those with an orienteering or fell-running background, it seems a shame though - the appeal of the optimal route!

#26 gingerfox

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

View PostGreg_Waite, on Aug 21 2010, 06:48 AM, said:

Can't see anything on the site about results - any tips anyone? Should have started by now, NZ time.

Greg, I think you're a week early - it doesn't start till the 27th.

#27 Greg_Waite

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

View Postgingerfox, on Aug 21 2010, 08:44 AM, said:

Greg, I think you're a week early - it doesn't start till the 27th.
Oops, so I am  :Talking Ear Off:

#28 bill thompson

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

Woof from Chamonix,
Been around most of the course. Rained, hailed and snowed on but the $40 tent took it all.
Definitely pretty hilly but great scenery.
Weather perfect now which doesn't herald well for the start.
All the froggies walk around with poles - look like praying mantis. Maybe they still think its winter. Have nearly had my eyes guaged out a few times.
Went up Mont Buet yesterday and the views on Mt Blanc exceptional - highly recommended for anyone coming over. If nothing else made the trip worth while.
Haven't seen anyone I know as yet. Chamonix is one crowded town. I am camped up at the treeline with better views than the peasants in the valley.
Haven't had time to read rest of messages. One more hard day then 3 days rest. Hope the old body can then make the grade.
Cheers from the Chamonix valley. Bill
They have a great free train and bus service here that means you can stay just about anywhere and get around.

#29 Kato

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

Bill
You're a legend.  Live the dream, and don't forget to give us a good race report.  You're a master of beating the cut-off, so I know you'll do well!
See you at Glasshouse two weeks later  :Talking Ear Off:

#30 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

I'm sure you'll enjoy the odd drop of wine at the aid stations too Bill.   :Talking Ear Off:

Bon courage!

#31 Skin and Bone

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

View PostKato, on Aug 22 2010, 06:25 PM, said:

Bill
You're a legend.  Live the dream, and don't forget to give us a good race report.  You're a master of beating the cut-off, so I know you'll do well!
See you at Glasshouse two weeks later  :Talking Ear Off:

Bill, ditto to what Kato posted, bloody marvellous.  Looking forward to seeing you at GH - hopefully this year you won't overtake me during loop 8a (in fact make that no overtaking at all??)  :D

Definitely a legend mate - all the best for next weekend. :D

#32 Virtual

I can be dying an hour after I can be flying. Gabriel Flores

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

My money is on you Bill. Rien ne va plus. Good luck mate.

#33 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

More pre race interviews here. Most tipping Killian to take it out again.

#34 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

View PostSpud, on Aug 24 2010, 07:55 AM, said:

More pre race interviews here. Most tipping Killian to take it out again.
Would be hard to bet against Killian for the win.
Saying that he will be pushed this year having so many good runners in the race.
Will be interesting to see how Roes goes and what race plan he has.
Reading his blog he is playing down himself as always and kind of thinking maybe he can do a bit of catch up at the end of the race.

Edited by Brick, 24 August 2010 - 08:54 AM.

#35 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

More video of the course here.
Race starts 6.30pm local time this Friday so 3.30am EST Saturday.

#36 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

Live updates will be posted here.

#37 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

Geoff Roes has arrived at UTMB and registered and guess what been drug tested.
Read his blog about it link for you all.

Sounds like a great part of the world.

#38 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

spud

What did you do about teh mandatory gear?
It say's a phone that worls in all three countries is mandatory.

• mobile phone with option enabling its use in the three countries
(put in one’s repertoire the security numbers of the organisation, keep it switched on, do not hide one’s number and do not forget to set off with recharged batteries)

#39 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Brick, I carried my mobile phone with international roaming switched on.
Mandatory gear list is similar to NF100, ie you need to lug a fair bit with you.

#40 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

Blog update from Meltzer makes for a good read, well the comments do.

#41 bill thompson

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

View PostVirtual, on Aug 22 2010, 07:28 AM, said:

My money is on you Bill. Rien ne va plus. Good luck mate.
Thanks for all the encouraging comments.
I bumpedinto Jan yesterday and he is looking good.
Meeting him later to work out Australian winning strategy - I'm thinking of low level nuclear attack or mass poisoning while Jan is more conventional with a few east German tanks.
One of our main problems is the early cutoofs. They expect you to sprint the 1st 31k then crawl the rest. This stuffed Jan up last year.
Weather fine and hot at present and I am a kilo lighter after having 1st shower for 2 weeks.
One day to go.
regards from Chamonix

#42 Wida

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

Kilian Jornet interview with Bryon Powell

#43 Gazman

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

Not long to wait now!

Good luck to all Coolrunning trail blazers. Keep the faith.

#44 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

Race day over there now and with a 6.30pm local time race start it makes for a long anxious day.
Good luck to the Aussie contingent, very much looking forward to following your progress at this years race.

#45 gingerfox

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:33 AM

Looks like the race has been cancelled due to a mud slide at Col de Seigne. Absolutely devastating news for all of the runners. Very sorry to hear this.

#46 Ironfrog

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

Translation :

Breaking news, the 8th running of the UTMB is stopped at Les Contamines. Challenging weather at Col de la Seigne (rain, cold and fog) on top of the removal by thugs of the trail marking are making the course conditions too precarious. The organisation team prefer stopping the run and bring back the 2300 participants to Chamonix in good health. A press conference will be held at 11pm. We will communicate when we have more information. In the mean time, our teams are trying to console dozens of runners in tears, extremely disappointed after months of training but trying to put this into perspective as safety is priceless.

In French from the UTMB web site.

La nouvelle vient de tomber, la 8ème édition de l'Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc est stoppée au niveau des Contamines. Ue météo très difficile au col de la Seigne (pluie, froid et brouillard) puis un débalisage sauvage rendent les conditions de course trop précaires. Les organisateurs préfèrent arrêter la course et ramener les 2300 participants à Chamonix et en bonne santé. Une conférence de presse se tiendra vers 23 heures. Nous vous tiendrons au courant dés que nous aurons de plus amples infortmations. En attendant nos équipes essayent de réconforter les dizaines de coureurs en larmes, extrèmement déçus après des mois de préparation mais essayant de relativiser, la sécurité n'ayant pas de prix.

#47 jimv

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:44 AM

View Postgingerfox, on Aug 27 2010, 10:33 PM, said:

Looks like the race has been cancelled due to a mud slide at Col de Seigne. Absolutely devastating news for all of the runners. Very sorry to hear this.

Yep - we got to Contamines (about 30k) and were told to "wait", so we all stood around shivering at the aid station.  Then eventually the word went round that the run was cancelled.  Good French organisation kicked in and we were pretty much left on our own to get back to Chamonix...

Condolences to those who travelled all the way over for the event.  The japanese contingent were all in tears.

C'est la vie...

Edited by jimv, 28 August 2010 - 07:45 AM.

#48 Ironfrog

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:49 AM

Spud, you were lucky last year !

Translation :

The UTMB organisation team have witnessed mud slides at the Col de La Seigne and preferred stopping the 2300 participants further down as a safety measure. The weather conditions are deplorable with a very strong wind at Col du Bonhomme. More information in a few minutes during the official press conference. The sad events of 2009 during the Grand Raid of the Mercantour (in the mountains at the back of Nice) where 3 people lost their life are on everyone's mind and people here in Chamonix praise the courage of such a decision.

From the UTMB web site :

L'organisation de l'Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc aurait constaté des coulées de boue au niveau du col de la Seigne et aurait préféré ne pas engager les 2300 participants plus loin sur le parcours par mesure de sécurité, les conditions météorologique étant déplorables avec un vent particulièrement fort au col du Bonhomme. Plus d'informations d'ici quelques minutes lors de la conférence de presse officielle. Les tristes événements survenus en 2009 lors du Grand Raid du Mercantour (Alpes Martimes) où 3 personnes avaient perdu la vie sont évidement sur toutes les lèvres et l'ensemble des personnes présentent ici à Chamonix salue le courage d'une telle décision.

Edited by Ironfrog, 28 August 2010 - 07:52 AM.

#49 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

How disappointing for all, feel for all those who travelled a long way to be there. Next year guys...

#50 Ironfrog

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:57 AM

View Postjimv, on Aug 28 2010, 07:44 AM, said:

Yep - we got to Contamines (about 30k) and were told to "wait", so we all stood around shivering at the aid station.  Then eventually the word went round that the run was cancelled.  Good French organisation kicked in and we were pretty much left on our own to get back to Chamonix...

Condolences to those who travelled all the way over for the event.  The japanese contingent were all in tears.

C'est la vie...

Understand your disappointment but it is probably not easy to organise the transfer of 2300 people in a few minutes.