St Mary's Spring Festival Fun Run - 6.2kmBlair Oval, St Mary's - Sunday, 26 September 2010

• You cannot reply to this topic
39 replies to this topic

#1 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:30 PM

This run is on again this year, although track work is on between Blacktown and Richmond for those who depend on public transport.  Again, entry forms at not on the Calendar, so if you wish to enter you have to contact John Willocks on 9623 6715.  Entry fee is $7.00 for adults, $10.00 late entry after 17 September.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 slowmc

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

Hi Kooka,

Thanks for that. Do you have a date & time for this one so we cr's can slot it in ?

Regards

slowmc

View PostKookaburra, on Aug 18 2010, 07:30 PM, said:

This run is on again this year, although track work is on between Blacktown and Richmond for those who depend on public transport.  Again, entry forms at not on the Calendar, so if you wish to enter you have to contact John Willocks on 9623 6715.  Entry fee is $7.00 for adults, $10.00 late entry after 17 September.

#3 THE KEG

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

Last time I ran this was in 2007. Would get a much better turnout if details and entry form were on CR calendar. I should be there- doesn't clash with other runs and it is a great run. Starts 9am according to website.

Edited by THE KEG, 18 August 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#4 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

View Postslowmc, on Aug 18 2010, 07:00 PM, said:

Hi Kooka,

Thanks for that. Do you have a date & time for this one so we cr's can slot it in ?

Regards

slowmc
Slowmc

Run starts at 9.00am.  The other run by the same organiser, John Wilcox, St Mary's Community 8km Fun Run/Walk will be on Sunday, 30 October 2010, however I note this clashes with the Balmain fun run.

#5 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

View PostTHE KEG, on Aug 18 2010, 07:06 PM, said:

Last time I ran this was in 2007. Would get a much better turnout if details and entry form were on CR calendar. I should be there- doesn't clash with other runs and it is a great run. Starts 9am according to website.
Spoke to the organiser last night and he intends eventually posting form on this site at later date, once final approval for the run has been obtained and forms have been prepared.

#6 KatieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

I am glad to see Kookaburra's post.I also spoke with John and know that he was frustrated by the late approval for this run and therefore printing and other progress for this run.
It is a terrific fun run organised by a small group of dedicated volunteers.It has great prizes, certificates and lucky draws.John and his team do a fantastic job.
The run has attracted high profile athletes and has been won by DRJH and the female record holder is female City to Surf winner Melinda Vernon.It is also a run not only for professionals but for family and friends and has great community spirit.

To Slowmac,It is my intention to obtain entry forms at the St Marys Spring Festival and to bring them to the Met West presentation.Blues Buffett or JoeStat can tell you who I am or can let me know who you are but I wont be there this weekend.
I also intend to take forms to CR West once I obtain them.  

I would encourage participants to this run,it is a great day and as has already been mentioned is followed up by another run organised by the same people the next month.

Edited by KatieR, 20 August 2010 - 08:57 PM.

#7 slowmc

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hello,

Thanks kooka, katier & everyone else for posting the info re these runs. I've got to most West Mets this season, so will certainly be there on presentation day to pick up any forms that you have katier, so thanks for offering to hand these out. I'm positive that you will get a few takers for these entry forms.

Happy to see that the St Mary's Community 8km is making a comeback this year.That is one of the great original fun runs I did when I took up running some time ago. From memory it's what a community fun run is all about. Bit sad to see that it may clash with the Balmain Fun Run, as I did that one last year and it was a great event. Oh well, will have to make a decision about which one to go with closer to the event. St Marys is geographically more sympathetic, will wait to see what my schedule is like closer to the event.

Regards

slowmc

#8 Lotsahare

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

Bert & I and some of our other non-cr friends will be there for sure. Other than it being an enjoyable & friendly run with lots of lucky draw prizes & blings...this run is organised by one of 'The Legends' 40yrs of C2S John Wilcox..congrats!
Lotsahare & Bert

#9 John Dawlings

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

I had a talk with John Wilcox last night and unfortunately it does appear that the second St Mary's run on 31st October and the Balmain Run are going to clash.  Miles too late to do anything about it now for either of us.  Next year I will probably look at moving the Balmain run a few weeks earlier into mid-October.  It is a shame as I checked with all race organisers who had a run last year within 2 weeks of 31st October before choosing my date - I wasn't to know that the St Mary's run got cancelled last year.

Oh well, I'll be along to support the first of the runs on 26 September but will be otherwise engaged for the second one!

#10 KatieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

View PostLotsahare, on Aug 29 2010, 05:36 AM, said:

Bert & I and some of our other non-cr friends will be there for sure. Other than it being an enjoyable & friendly run with lots of lucky draw prizes & blings...this run is organised by one of 'The Legends' 40yrs of C2S John Wilcox..congrats!
Lotsahare & Bert

Additional to John being a City to Surf Legend he has just been named a a Penrith City Council Wall of Achievement recipient for 2010 for his commitment to running and his volunteering commitment to the St Marys community and has featured in 3 recent stories,one in Run for Your Life magazine and two local newspapers.Well Done to John and Congratulations.

Details copied below are from Penrith City Council's website.

John Willcocks
Sport Category
John is a dedicated runner and is amongst a small group of athletes who have completed every City to Surf held. In 2010 John will participate in his 40th City to Surf event at the age of 60.
He has completed every Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon and Sydney Marathon.
John is a member of Parramatta Park Runners and Horsley Park Runners.
He is a committed community volunteer and is involved with the organisation of the successful St Marys Spring Festival.
John has also been the coordinator of two popular St Marys fun runs which have been running for 12 years.
John is a devoted family man, sportsman and community volunteer.

#11 Rainlover

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

Some nice words about a really nice bloke. Well done John W.

#12 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

I have an entry form for this which I can scan on the computer.  Does anyone know how I can post it to this site?

#13 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

Did this run again this morning - and what a brilliant day it was, weather and people wise.  John Wilcox, announced that next year may be the last running of this event, and its sister run the St Mary's Community 8km run.  Would be a shame to lose another run, so if everyone gets behind this event next year, maybe John might change his mind.

#14 Blues Buffett

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

Gee I hope not.

I want to get to the St Mary's South run 31/10. It was cancelled last year. I hope it can be picked up by others if John feels the need to wind back a bit.

cheers, BB

#15 runningcat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:43 PM

Missed it this morning, was too tired to get up ;) but was planning to!

This shoud be in the CR calendar, needs more publicity to get more supporters.

#16 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

Thanks to KatieR I did this run this morning, it was well organised with registration taking I think maybe a grand total of 3 mins, they took your money in one spot, you went to your relevant age group and put your name down, gave you a number and you were off.

Lots of friendly volunteers on course a drink station, oranges and water at the end, the little A's did a sausage sizzle.

I think the presentation was the best I have ever been to, they gave you results for each age group told you the race records, told you what the winner had done, all the stats. Then there was a lucky draw.

If only I was in the 30-39 age group, I would have been first in that age group, but nowhere in 40-49. Oh well I certainly never turn up thinking I would get any prize, I like being a BOPer.

#17 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

View PostBeesKnees, on Sep 26 2010, 04:35 PM, said:

If only I was in the 30-39 age group, I would have been first in that age group, but nowhere in 40-49. Oh well I certainly never turn up thinking I would get any prize, I like being a BOPer.
BeesKnees - it is when you turn up like you did and don't expect a prize that sometimes you get a sur"prize".  I went and thought maybe, just maybe. I might scrape through to win a medal in my age category (40-49)  as I have done this in past years, but instead I ended up getting a trophy for first woman across the line.  I was shocked.  I think all the other woman must have felt sorry for me so subsequently ran slower allowing me to get a place, alternatively, it could have been that coffee I had for breakfast.

Edited by Kookaburra, 26 September 2010 - 06:14 PM.

#18 Rainlover

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:16 PM

Wish I had've pulled myself out of bed for this one. Maybe some bling if i did. not to worry, there are some good runs coming up soon and would like to do these to see if I can stay true to form from last weeks Bridge Run

Edited by Rainlover, 26 September 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#19 Lotsahare

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

Glad to hear everyone had a great day at St. Marys!  So sorry we all didn't make it this time around  John,we were so looking forwad to it as it's one of our 'love to do' runs. , unfortunately Bert & I  had a clash of  race calendah dates, which we had already committed to and Kerry had car problems. I agree, we don't want these two wonderful runs folding up, spread the word   everyone and lets have a big turn up for the next run !!!
Lotsahare & Bert

#20 John Dawlings

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:11 AM

I too had every intention of getting along but there were just too many things for me to do on Sunday unfortunately.

#21 KatieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

I enjoyed my time at the St Marys Spring Festival Fun Run.It is a great community run.It was good to have the support of 2 local Penrith councillors,one who has volunteered for many years with her family and one who participated with her dad.It was nice to hear John acknowledged for his dedication to running and nice to see his grandson win an award especially as he had travelled from Maitland.
Well done to the Harrison Family also for all of their awards.

I was pleased to see some familiar faces especially BeesKnees.I was a little disappointed to not see some more as I had handed out about 80 entry forms.However it was good to see some Metropolitan West Cross Country runners,some Nepean Senior Athletics members,SMC runners and BeesKnees from CR West.
A big Thank You to BeesKnees :D  for her encouragement and telling me to take on a runner on the last lap and for standing at the finishing line waiting for me to finish. ;)
It would be sad if these runs did not continue,John and his family and team of volunteers do a terrific job.

Edited by KatieR, 29 September 2010 - 03:55 PM.

#22 THE KEG

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Had to miss out due to family commitments.  ;)

#23 KatieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

Just a reminder the St Marys October run is being held on 31/10 at 9.00am.Information and Entry Forms are available from John Willcocks on 96236715
Participants can do a 4klm walk or 8klm run
Entry is just $7 for Adults and $4 for Children for Early Bird Entries received by 25/10/10 and also reasonably priced on the day at $10 for Adults and $5 for children

#24 KatieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

The St Marys 4klm walk and 8klm run are on next weekend starting at 9.00am.

The dedicated organisers will have a big week ahead with the rescheduled St Marys Spring Fair to be held on Saturday.There will be lots of stalls,food,entertaiment and a Grand Parade at 12.30pm in Queen St St Marys.

The Run  will be held at St Marys South Public School, Monfarville St St Marys.Hoping to see some familiar faces there.

#25 Blues Buffett

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:53 AM

I'll be there. It's a great run: well organised, community atmosphere, decent course.

Let's hope we get a few more CR's than usual to this one. It needs a few more participants for it to survive!

cheers, BB

#26 slowmc

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:51 AM

Hi there,

I'll also be there, although based on yesterday's 5km at SMC it will be a pretty slow time.Was a bit of a toss up between this one & the Balmain Run, but I've decided to do this one this year, as it's a bit closer to home.

I highly recommend it to anyone and like BB says it has a great community feel about it. It's a real throw back to what fun run's used to be like when I first started many years ago, the entry fee is as cheap as chips, it's going to a great local cause and the local school and community really get behind it. So if your not signed up for Balmain come out to the sunny west and give this one ago.

Hope to see you there.

Regards

slowmc

#27 greyhoundracer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:19 AM

Has anyone got a course map for this run ?

All I can find out it where is starts from ?

#28 Bert

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

Lotsahare & myself with a couple of non C.R friends will definitely be there ! Hoping to see lots of runners turn out for one of our very favourite low-key runs. This is a run we keep on going back for the friendly organisation that prevails. John and his family are justly well-regarded in their community for the way their runs are presented, and it would take a very major event to keep us away from this. Anyone who fondly remembers how good fun runs used to be organised should get along to this. You are not likely to be sorry, but you are likely to pick up at least a lucky draw prize, of which there are usually plenty to go around!
Bert & Lotsahare

#29 KatieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

In case my previous post was ambiguous:
The St Marys Spring Festival is Saturday and the St Marys South Fun Run is on Sunday.
Sad to hear recently it may be the last St Marys run held.

#30 chisholm

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

I will also add my two cents about how much I have enjoyed this run in the past. It was one of my first fun runs and the first time I ever came away from a run with a medal (there were only 3 people in my age category!) As mentioned before, lots of lucky door prizes too, great organisation, friendly volunteers and a lovely low key run.

One of my favourite running singlets is my "St Mary's Community Fun Run" commemorative singlet - about 4 sizes too big but has sentimental value!

Unfortunately I have already committed myself to doing the Seven Bridges Walk so I won't be able to make it this year. I am sorry to hear that it might be the last running of this event.

Chisholm

#31 Sprinter

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:41 PM

I would love to do this Run and go for a double St Mary Fun Run Win
especially knowing that this might even be the last one.
but my coach has organise a training camp on that weekend.

#32 KatieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:52 AM

The St Marys Fun Run has a special place in my heart,it is a run I have participated in for the last 5 years with my family and friends.John and Denise and their hardwoking team of volunteers do a terrific job.In the last 3 years I have added an Australia Day Penrith run making my fun run efforts 3 walks per year.
This year I have discovered that there are runs held beyond the Penrith Council area and found my way to more than 20.

There have always been plenty of lucky draw prizes and my family have been very lucky.It would be sad if this were the last run,I almost feel as though I should be breaking out into a dwarf song
"I owe,I owe so its off to the St Marys run I go" and that I need to be a competitor for at least the next 20 years to give back to the run that has given us so much.

We have won $300,1 Month gym membership,$80 Whitewater rafting Certificate,$80 Hogs Breath Voucher,Dinner for 2 at St Marys Leagues Club,Morning tea at Mamre Homestead,$10 lottery gft pack,Computer Mouse and keyboard,$50 seafood and McDonalds and Hungry Jacks vouchers.
Me and my 15 children are most greatful.

Just kiddding it is almost embarrassing to admit that there are just 5 of us winning so much.

I have also discovered this year that runners do runs.I thought that being a community run meant that I had to encourage community members to be there and I have encouraged family,weight loss group members,neighbourhood centre workers and volunteers,soccer dads,little athletic families,neighbours,parents from school,my own schoolfriends and others to be there.I have loved having the people I know there.

This year I look forward to a new experience seeing the runners there who I have only met this year but who in the past have also been experiencing the St Marys Fun Run experience with me,I just never knew them.

The icing on the cake is that a story that I wrote about the other St Marys run has been published as part of an Anthology of poems and stories and will be released on Friday as part of a book launch.It is in my blog if you want to read it.

I look forward to seeing you all on Sunday.

#33 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

Just back from the St Marys fun run I am one very excited girl. I got 2nd place in my age group 40-49, I must admit I never thought that would happen. I also manged to win in the lucky draw morning tea for 2 at Mamre House, where they apparently have scones yum, yum

Thanks to all the organisers and volunteers, I went to the other St Marys run in September and was so impressed that decided to return.
Durning the run there was a lady ahead of me approx 400m and I was desperatley trying to catch her, as I wondered if she was in my age group, she appeared to be slowing and with 2 km to go I overtook her, I wondered if I should ask her what age group she was in but decided that would make things harder. I wondered with 2km to go whether I had gone too early but managed to beat her by probably a minute.

Thanks for the great CR cheer when I got my award I said to John that I had brought my own cheer squad!
Lots of great results by others but I won't steal their thunder.

#34 Blues Buffett

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

With plenty of competition running-wise, there was a decent turnout today.

Once again, John and his family/team put on an excellent 8k run: low entry fee ($10), trophies/medallions galore, spot prizes, two water stations, drinks and oranges at the end - and the best amenities block at a fun run!

John announced that next year's run would be the last. I hope that someone else local will accept the challenge and continue it beyond its 14th year. I pressured KatieR a few times today so who knows?

Saw some familiar and unfamiliar-but-now-familiar faces including CR's KatieR (nice phone), slowmc, Lotsahare, Bert, greyhoundracer, Freezer and BeesKnees (medallion AND spot prize!).

I managed 37:43 which gave me 3rd in the 50-59 age group, so pretty happy with the fact that this run has given me my first ever medal.

I want to thank John for putting on this and the St Marys Blair Oval run for so many years. As I said, I do hope they both can continue beyond next year, as they typify what - to me at least - a community fun run/walk should be about.

cheers, BB

#35 slowmc

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:21 PM

Hi there,

Would just like to second BB's comments about todays run.Spot on. May someone in the local community pick up the ball and run with it after John retires in 2011.You've earned the rest mate.Was great to catch up with a few familiar faces and like BB said the facilities were great.Congrats to BB on your first ever medal, will always make this event a special one for you. Also, great stuff BeesKnees, you deserved the medal, that's for sure.Was also good to see a couple of familiar faces from Girraween & Hills Athletics to.

I struggled around the course today in a pedestrian 41.40ish. No real excuse, just have to put alot more work in to get back to the form of 08/09 etc. But that's ok, have something to aim for over the summer months.All in all another great event and was only sorry I couldn't hang around a little longer.

Regards

slowmc

#36 greyhoundracer

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Really enjoyed the run this morning, was pretty warm @ 9am too.

Event's like this really put the "fun" into fun run, its nice running around the local street's with people (even the local paperboy) supporting the runner's.

Shame I couldn't hang around for the presentation  :D

#37 Lotsahare

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:08 AM

Thanks John & Denise & crew for everything. I was pretty happy with my time 41.44 as i had done a long run the day before & didn't think there would be anything left  surprise  I also managed to pick up a bling!  Congrats again Beesknees u came home very strong well done.!..also to  Blues Buffett on your very first medal, u ran well & have every reason to feel chuffed you deserved it ! Katie R. its always nice seeing u  & congrats again on the publishing of your book wow! Bert & I   agree with BB you would be the right person to take  on the challenge  in 2012.. Bert unfortunately had lower back problems and was very disapointed he couldn't run but he did enjoy cheering on all the runners as they came thru & the sausage roll.
Lotsahare & Bert

Edited by Lotsahare, 01 November 2010 - 07:08 AM.

#38 Sprinter

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:04 AM

Sounded like fun sorry I couldn't be there.

So results, who won what races and did anyone break any records?
I heard young Knutsen won the womenís 8K, so well done to her

Let hope these fun run continue on next year to

#39 KatieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

I had a great day at the run again.I was there with my friends, and runners and runners who are now friends. Wow it was good to see runners emerge who have been there in the last few years just as I have.I just hadnt met them yet.

I am pleased to see my running friends win medals and prizes.To Beesknees, the scones and muffins at Mamre are delicious.I was proud to see my friend win a Whitewater Rafting prize.
My 2 friends of over 20years who I encouraged to be there are both keen to enter a next run and I met a lady who I will be texting with CR West details.

Sadly I think if the decision has been made by John,The school principal and the P&C that next year will be the last.I think that we all have to make sure it has a big finish in the school's 50th year.
It is sad that there have not been more children from the school participating.
My analytical,logical Virgo brain tells me it cant work without the support of the 3 major decision makers.

However the other St Marys run would not need to be organised by someone else until 2011.
I have been a volunteer with many groups since I was a teen.It was nice to cross the line and be handed a my time by someone who used my name because I was a Lions Club member in 1985.
Ahhm I mean my much,much,much younger sister was with the Lions club in 1985.

View PostBlues Buffett, on Oct 30 2010, 09:14 PM, said:

I pressured KatieR a few times today so who knows?
cheers, BB
No promises,I thought I was just thinking out loudly but it was so loud that Blues Buffet heard and I probably need pressure.I can doubt what I am capable of.
For now I just need to be a mum but I thank you all for your encouragement and support.

I had a terrific day

#40 KatieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

I didnt have a book published it was story.It was written a few years ago about this run.The story was submitted late months ago and was sent in a rush as something to fill up the 2 page requirement without cutting and pasting poetry and being time consuming.The book was released on Friday and I turned to my pages and the last paragraph eerily rang true with the recent passing of my husband 3 weeks ago.

"The events of those two days are significantly etched in her mind. They provided a timely reminder that we are all terminal, that our lives could be taken at any moment, how special her family is and how important it is to make the most of everyday."

I am not computer smart in how to direct people to my blog so I have brought my story to you.

Fun Run and Activate
It was a lovely spring morning and a suburban household was abuzz with energy as a mother and her 4 children prepared to enter a fun run. The mother enjoyed entering fun runs, as it was something she had done with her own family when she was a teenager. They had been happy times.

Midway through the run the mother saw a primary school aged boy being teased for entering the run by another schoolboy spectator. The mother quickened her pace and caught up to the boy and they chatted. She told him that he was doing a good thing and that he should not be listening to the taunts of the other boy. They chatted some more. The boy was excited to be heading to a martial arts exhibition after the run where he would be demonstrating his martial arts skills. The mother excitedly spoke of her plans for the day. She would be taking her children to a local council organised event where her children would have the opportunity to participate in a variety of free sporting activities. This was something that her family enjoyed participating in every year. Ironically both the mother and the boy were heading to the same place. The boy as part of the entertainment and the mother and her boys as active participants.

The mother was on a high at the end of the run, she was sitting amongst runners, was enjoying time with her family and had done a good deed for the day. She thought that her day could not get any better but it did. As part of the prizegiving ceremony her family walked away with many of the lucky draw prizes on offer and was extremely greatful for all of them.

Money had been tight of late so the McDonalds prizes for lunch were well received by the children. One son won an $80 voucher at a local restaurant. That same son had recently won a Whitewater Rafting certificate in another fun run organised by the same hardworking and dedicated group of people.Another son, a Diabetic won Dinner for Two at a club. This dinner allowed the mother and her son to spend time together to chat and enjoy each otherís company. It can be tough for him having 3 needles per day.

Their family had been extremely lucky.This was not the end of their prizes. As if Karma had stepped in the mother was drawn as the winner of a $300 cash prize. The mother had the day before asked her family if she could borrow an amount of $300. She is eternally greatful that the amount that she had requested from her always supportive family had been replaced as one of her prizes.

The family headed of to the sporting venue; surrounded by water, in a fabulous location the family enjoyed the day's activities. As the day neared its end the mother ventured away from her boys who were engrossed in activities. She walked to the waters edge to admire the boats when the call was made for participants for the last Dragon Boat ride for the day. The cautious mother threw caution to the wind and seated herself in the boat ready to paddle with the other participants. To lighten the load on the rowers the boat needed more crewmembers. The leader called upon ladies dressed in pink to help fill the boat. These ladies were inspiring and empowering, they were all survivors of breast cancer who after their diagnosis had come together to form a breast cancer dragonboat team. They were women of all ages who had come together to support and encourage each other and for most had never been rowers in their life, they were working together in a close knit team achieving what may have seemed unachievable especially with their life threatening diagnosis.

The leader of the boat was a character. He explained, "There are 2 sides of the boat. The right side and the left side. There are another 2 sides of the boat. The sides under the water and above the water and I would like you to stay above the water." The group laughed and talked and paddled and splashed. They had introduced their selves to each other. They had been strangers upon entering the boat and laughing wet friends by the end of their boat ride.

The family headed home showered, dressed and headed out to dinner as a family to use one of the vouchers that had been won in the fun run.
Today had been a wonderful day in their life.

The Day After
The mother was excited as she relayed her story to a friend on the phone. The friend was also excited for the mother. Then the mother said "I have had had such a fabulous day in my life that I might die tomorrow." The words surprised both of them and while the friend said it was probably not likely to happen as the mother was just 40, the friend listened intently and was supportive as the mother said sometimes people whose lives are taken suddenly have had a great day or are experiencing a great time in their life or die doing what they love.

The next afternoon upon her boys arrival home from school the mother was tending to the needs of a cockatoo, when the bird latched onto the underside of her wrist next to her vein and would not let go. The bird was unrelenting, as it firmly remained attached to her wrist. Her children came running outside upon hearing their motherís screams. There was fear in their eyes. The mother was frightened and thought this is how her life would end in front of her children.The bird eventually released it grip, the mother was still frightened as her children huddled around her and hugged her tightly. The mother assured them that everything would be okay.

The mother decided that she should have a Tetanus shot, as it was quite a few years since she had done so and now was a very appropriate time. As she pulled out of the driveway she smiled and waved to her children, as they stood on the verandah with still worried looks on their faces.

As the mother turned the corner her tears flowed freely, shock had probably set in, her hands were shaking and she still feared that her life could end. Her wrist was throbbing,the two white holes on her wrist ever so slowly turned purple, then red before oozing out the tiniest amount of blood. The mother still thought that at any moment the blood would come gushing out of her wrist. At the doctors she cried again as the nurse tended to her wounds and placed a caring hand on her shoulder.

Sometimes when there are difficulties in life the mother is caught up in thinking Why Me? There have been ups and downs since that time. Unfortunately it sometimes takes a news story of someone else's tragedy to remind her of how valuable life is. Sometimes it is the unexpected sight of the scars on her wrist, while driving, or washing up or washing clothes or reading a book. The scars are a wake up call to appreciate life.

The events of those two days are significantly etched in her mind. They provided a timely reminder that we are all terminal, that our lives could be taken at any moment, how special her family is and how important it is to make the most of everyday.

Edited by KatieR, 04 November 2010 - 10:57 AM.