19 replies to this topic

#1 julia

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:54 PM

I'm going to Fiji for a week and I'm wondering how runner friendly it is?
Anyone have any experiences? I'd rather not go an entire week without doing something..

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 DontStop

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

Been a couple of times.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend it for running.

Firstly, it's seriously bloody hot. Secondly, once you get away from the small resort-boundaries, you're hit with a fair amount of relative poverty (by our standards). Not dangerous, but not the sort of place you see people running. I wouldn't feel comfortable running on my own there. You'd probably be ok, but personally I'd give it a miss.

Best to use the treadmill where you're staying. Swim. Hit the gym. Go snorkeling. That kinda thing.

#3 ashacat

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

I ran last year in Vanuatu - remote little island. ? safety but resort owner suggested direction & to stay on roads. The locals thought I was mad but the kids in villages would run along with me.

My only safety issue was the not so friendly bull. He didn't charge me but he definitely let me know who owned the road. - I walked backwards slowly then ran like hell once I couldn't see him anymore.

Awful humidity was my main problem - I went out for my normal 10ks but only managed a very stop start 5. By the end of a week I did manage 8ks.

So I recommend going running if there is the space on your island & the staff think it's safe, my husband always asked "how was my run", something he never does in Australia, as I always came back with a story.

Oh, I also left those runners in Vanuatu as I ran threw a lot of cow dung.

#4 chisholm

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

I ran about twice in two weeks whilst I was in Fiji. It was a solid 30 degrees every day, and it reached that temperature reasonably early. I went to Denarau Island, in which case I did a lap around the golf course (about 6.5km). I wouldn't have run anywhere off of the island (the non-resort area), not because of the poverty or locals or anything, but mostly because there was a lot of traffic flying along the roads and no should to the road to run on.

I mostly stuck with the laps between the bar and the sun lounger, and the hotel room and the pool. Suited me just fine! ;-)

#5 walshy2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

i stayed on Plantation island and lots of room to run there

On Denarau went for a few runs also, but like the others have said it's quite hot & humid, even early in the morning. Didnt bother me, but not everyone's cup of tea

Edited by walshy2, 21 September 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#6 pbig

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

Stayed on the Coral Coast earlier in the year and squeezed in 2 runs - one along the main highway and back for about an hour, the next along a country road up to a village and back for about an hour and a half. The heat and humidity are tough even early in the morning (I started at first light), especially if more accustomed to Melbourne weather, and I was totally spent after both runs. Probably not something I would recommend in these remote areas though unless you have company. Denarau or similar areas should be fine though, around streets or golf courses as suggested. Otherwise round and round your resort or if all else fails, the treadmill.

#7 stacytoby

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'm travelling to Fiji next week as well, and as I am entered in the Melb Half Marathon on the 10th, need to do some serious training before then! I will be running early morning (6am) along the Coral Coast, at the resort I stay at (Im a bit of a regular there!) there is a running group from 6am in the morning with a hotel trainer, and I am usually the only one who shows up, so i am hoping that this trainer will be up for some long runs! :D

Where are you staying Julia? I'm staying at the Outrigger for eight days and the Westin for two....

#8 julia

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies - I'm ok with the heat and humidity and stuff, but I did figure that actually finding a place to run, and safety, would be the difficult part.

OMG stacytoby - what a coincidence! We were looking at staying at the Outrigger too! I'll be staying at the Rydges - I think they're still reasonably close to eachother? I'm an early morning runner too :D

#9 pbig

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

Yes, the Warwick also mentioned a morning running group, but I assumed it would be a few laps of the resort at best - did not see any sign of anyone else running either.

My runs from the Warwick are here and here (select Metric in upper right for kms). The run on the dirt road beside the creek to the village was fairly enjoyable. Note though how it seems to have become longer in my mind (1.5 hours!?).

#10 stacytoby

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

So when are you heading over Julia? I am heading over on the 28th, and am at the Outrigger for eight nights :o

I reckon the Rydges is about 10 mins from Outrigger, spooky stuff!!! :D

#11 Andolate

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:15 PM

Hey Stacytoby,

We have booked a beach Bure in December. If you could please post up a quick review of Outrigger on this topic when you get back that owuld be great!!!

Thanks,

Kye

#12 julia

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

I get there on the 26th and leave...on the...something...haha - the weekend after.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? :D

#13 stacytoby

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

View PostAndolate, on Sep 22 2010, 04:45 PM, said:

Hey Stacytoby,

We have booked a beach Bure in December. If you could please post up a quick review of Outrigger on this topic when you get back that owuld be great!!!

Thanks,

Kye

I can solve that one for you already - i got married there last september, and the resort is the best i have ever stayed in. We stayed in a plantation bure and it was unreal; amazing service, amazing grounds..... such a great resort all up!

View Postjulia, on Sep 22 2010, 05:33 PM, said:

I get there on the 26th and leave...on the...something...haha - the weekend after.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? :D

A meet up for a run? :o

#14 DianeE

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

I just got home last night after 6 days at Denarau and I can tell you it is pretty hot right now during the day (and I loooooove the heat!).  The weather forecast is always the same but it is the height of their dry season now and it is really hot.

I only went outside for a run once for about 45 mins then bailed (started around 7:30am) due to the heat/sunburn.  It is very easy to do laps of Denarau and the golf course if you are out and about early enough for a long run and there are plenty of other runners doing the same.  Like others have said, I would never leave the resort complex to head out on the main roads.  Treadmill running on the other days for up to 1.5 hours filled the gap.

If you are going to run outside then be back by 8:30am at the absolute latest unless you are a total masochist.  After 5:00-6:00pm is quite nice - but after a day of eating, drinking and lying in the sun who can be bothered then?!  :D

In July I was on Malolo Island at LikuLiku resort and there were fantastic trails on the hills of the island where you could run for hours, and it wasn't as hot in July as it was this week.

D.

#15 addiees

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Just come back from a week at The Hideaway Resort on the Coral Coast. A bit hot at times running (drenched in sweat quite early on with each run but that does not bother me). Four types of run possible from this resort.
  • Along the beach except at highest tide (preferably with vibram five fingers type of foot covering so protection from coral but can splash in water and ford the odd shallow river). Met one dog family but they were just curious and wanting to be stroked.
  • Along the coast road in conventional running stuff - pretty flat and not very busy and most drivers waving encouragement (while I suspect thinking I was completely mad). Did not feel at all uncomfortable on my own.
  • Track into the hills (found after a number of attempts - the resort staff I think trying to deflect me to an organised walk rather than describe finding this) - quite a long climb initially - 20 minutes, Better for trail runner types than flat runners (moderately technical at times in a soggy sort of way). Some beautiful butterflies (very few other insects) and flowers, Sensational views of the coast and hinterland, Can continue into native jungle if you wish (and looking at the area on Google map the path goes on for at least 20-30k if you are keen) a few sratches on the legs from undergrowth ( not sure what is best to wear for that). Best not to drop your room key while taking photos.
  • Treadmill in gym (but I hate treadmill running !)
The resort itself is lovely in a low key sort of way (pool etc but one restuarant on site only and no golf courses etc - suits me)

#16 Peterhorse

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

unreal and surreal

haven't been on CR for months but logged on tonight after just getting back from a holiday in.... FIJI !!  intercon south of Nadi, which was first class. loved it.

BULA!! to those on this thread and Vinaka for the advice.

happy to back up the points above with a ditto. the locals are great/friendly etc but the vehicular traffic on the raods makes it a bit too risky, so treadmills it was ... plus cross training at the bar (light weights, lots of repititions ; 10oz x 10-15 reps ;-))

i was hoping for a 3hr run somewhere but the best i could manage was one day doing a double session in the resort gym - 60mins treadmill in the a.m. then cycles, row, treadmill for 90mins in the p.m.

oh well, the R&R has sorted all the niggles :-)

#17 8xp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

addiees - I'll be staying at the Hideaway resort early March on my way to Brisbane, If you could pass along any details on how to get to the trail it would be appreciated! The Dreadmill I get enough of here in the winter.

#18 sammo72

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Glad I found this thread.
I am heading over to Fiji (Outrigger for 10nights) next week and just wondering how the runnning was Stacytoby and Others.

#19 Windy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

I was at the Outrigger earlier in the year (Feb) and ran about four days of the week I was there. It is very hot, but could not bring myself to spend time on a treadmill as I think providing you take enough water, running in heat is good for training (in an Oz summer).

One of my runs went to Sigatoka and back. This is along a fairly main road, but it did not feel unsafe and I passed so many people who were friendly including school kids waiting for buses. Another day I went running in the other direction looking for a track I had spotted on Google maps that went inland. I couldn't find it though. The other runs combined hill repeats on the path up to the dayspa. This is really hard work though, but the advantage is that it is easy to have a bottle of water at the bottom of the hill.

Good luck but be prepared for heat. It was around 31-33 every day for us and you will be less used to it at this time of the year!

Windy

#20 stacytoby

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm glad I just checked this thread! Outrigger is one of my fave places on earth, and is fairly good to run around.  There is a great road that runs out from the right hand side of the outrigger and runs along the coast, which meets up with the main road to Sigatoka. Near the outrigger too there is also a few residential streets to the right hand side that make for good hill sprints :)

The locals will often beep their horns and yell bula when they drive past, but that happens to everyone in Fiji :) Enjoy!!!!