143 replies to this topic

#101 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

"Ewan in 9:57, smashing the cr" from Spud again.

Correction from Spud: make that 9:51!

Edited by Whippet Man, 13 August 2011 - 08:59 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#102 jcooper

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:09 PM

Not sure what time I finished my watch was dead but it wAs 8:20 by the time I though to ask so I would say 13:10 was a very tough day out

Oh I also found a set of keys out on the course pm me if they are yours

#103 Dutchie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:18 PM

Okay results as I know them from ERB.

2nd B2orB1 10.20hrs new women's record!!

Meredith, Jess B and Brick together 12.20hrs! Amazing

Sabina 10mins behind, 12.30hrs approx

ERB dnf'ed with injury

Amazing effort from everyone out there today

#104 djbleakman

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

Awesome work guys, Ewan, Beth and Spud... it's a tough old climb out of Cox's to the finish. RESPECT.

We had 13 start a training run on the GNW this morning at Sommersby - isn't that more than actually started the race in the first year? Isn't it great how trail running is getting so popular.

#105 shogun

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:54 AM

Wow great times.

Congrats to everyone that got out yesterday and had a go!

#106 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

Had a great time on 12' Track yesterday managed a 55 minute PB so got to be happy about that.
I have a little report on my blog if you want to have a read.

Shame Bunny pulled out and Enduro got an injury before Megalong Rd.
Found out that Enduro is OK nothing broken but still a bit sore.

#107 royworlds

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

After a very relaxed start from explorer tree, we all made our way down the stairs and off into a long day of trails.

The first 15kms was a gentle down hill run heading to the river. I was running just ahead of Spud who has some great previous times and got down to the river 6 minutes ahead of schedule. It was a strange feeling – ploughing through the river knowing you still have 75km and another river crossing on the way back to go. I managed to find the deepest part of the river which went above my waist.

The first part of the run was in mist and it was a great feeling to burst through it on Mini Mini into the bright blue day. After expecting a cold start it was nice cool t-short weather with just a couple of cold patches. I ran most of Pluvi with a group of 4WDs egging me on a bit faster. The view from Pluvi back to the river of mist in the valley was spectacular.

I got to Caves Rd crossing where I had planned to meet my support crew, drop my pack, and take a hand bottle with gels down to Jenolan and back. I was way ahead of predicted time and my support crew weren't there. I was unsure about what to do as I had no more food, no money for food at Jenolan but access to water down there at least. Luckily the course runs parallel to the road and I spotted the car. So after a quick dash up to the road, I refuelled and took off for the descent into Jenolan.

Hitting the turn around at 4:38, which was 22mins ahead of schedule, I was feeling pretty good and headed back up the stairs into the unknown. Ten mins later saw Beth flying down the descent looking as fresh as ever followed a few minutes later by Spud and then another couple of minutes by Keiron. After a quick re-fuel at Caves road crossing I headed off to Deviation. I was feeling pretty good here – running the flats hard and run / walking the hills.

From Black Range to the river was a real thrill. The legs felt good and the energy levels were high. I flew down the hills at 95%, backing off a bit to keep any cramps at bay.
I hadn't run this section in this direction before and I really enjoyed the ride. Again I crossed Cox's River by wading through the deepest section and picked up some more pebbles for the collection in my shoes.

After the river I really struggled with my energy – walking small inclines where I had been running before. I made sure that I kept to my nutrition plan even though it was the last thing I felt like. Is there anything worse than a gel on a queasy stomach?? I kept on thinking it was just a down patch and it will pass, so I kept on moving forward to Megalong road where I had stashed a Red Bull and some lollies.

I didn't know where the hollow tree was until spud mentioned it — I had stashed my supplies on the side of the trail. When I got there I found the drink, but no dinosaur lollies or gel. I guess uncovered, brightly coloured food is just asking to be taken. Oh well at least the Red Bull went down a treat and gave me a big caffeine boost to get through the next section to the hellish Nellies Glen.

I had run an out and back to Cox's River the week before to identify all the ways I could go the wrong way on the way back. Luckily it was still light so I kept on the trail and just grinded through to the rise up to Nellies. I was looking over my shoulder quite a bit to see if Beth had made up any time while I was struggling. We have run close together in quite a few ultras so I knew she had a strong finish.

I finally got to the Nellies Glen sign, which should contain a few words of warning or at least a scull and crossbones, and started to push to the finish. Using a tip from one of Killian's movies, I was pushing on my legs giving them some extra drive. Having to stop every 10 metres with blurred vision and lack of energy really took the sting out of that technique. I kept on pushing upwards, looking up to the cliff tops that never seemed to get any closer, looking forward to seeing the carpark, signalling the end of any climbs.

Once up top I ran along the final stretch of road to the tree, the fence sparing it any sort of GNW style kiss, then promptly lay down to give the legs a well deserved rest.

I was very happy to finish in 9:51and get the record in a race in my own backyard. This was a great low key race that will hopefully make 6 foot seem easier next year. It's only half of 12 foot, right?!

#108 Chelbub

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

Great run all..enjoyed your story Royworlds - congratulations on a terrific run! wow!

Brick - read your blog, you ran a gentleman's race...love it.

Rach

Edited by Chelbub, 14 August 2011 - 11:04 AM.

#109 jcooper

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

Well done to everyone yesterday, I had a shocker was in a world of pain from 35km all I could do was one foot in front of the other to the end about 10 minutes per km from cox's till the end. Some how still managed 13:10 but in hindsite should had pulled the pin as I'm struggling bad today, an enforced taper before the glasshouse miler I think.

#110 TheRidler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

Ridler managed 13.47.49 although I went off course on the way back. It was great to catch up with everyone. Thanks to Graham for the company in the last 25kms. It was a fun day out, exellent conditions and despite going walk about I beat the cut-off. It makes for a very happy Ridler.

Ridler :Cuppa:

#111 Long Arms

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

Super strong run Ewan. Well done on the record

#112 rodthehornet

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

Nice work Ewan.  4:38 out and you beat my 6ft this year by 1 min!!!  That gets you a top 100 in the race proper.

#113 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

showed up for 12ft with the intention of 8ft but ended up with 6ft
well i showed up after catching a ride with Enduro and we arrived at the tree at 6. found Trailpuddin and promptly set off. after about ten minutes they both shot off into the gloom and I continued my cautious descent. all went well until getting to the paddock  after leaving the fire trail.  found Enduro with a very swollen ankle and trailpuddin hovering. between us we got him to megalong rd.  after making sure that rescue was on the way, I carried on, a group of four passed me here, only recognised Spud and Ewan  but all moving very quickly.  on to Pinnacle hill and B2or B1 arrives with Justdidit  ok   after another fifteen minutes Brick and Vstar come past and I start to think  about speeding up a bit. find some legs on the downhill but not enough to outrun Meredith and crew after that decided to cross the river via the bridge as had never done that before and found my way to Megalong camp without any dramas.  got caught and passed by ERB on the climb up mini mini  and then a little while later by Grant . after that I was on my own and heading for a turn around at deviation where B1orB2 had parked the support vehicle, and my lunch.  I was very happy on reaching the Pluviometer to find this vehicle and food and water. also got a phone call from Enduro to tell me he was parked on Megalong rd.  OK well my reasons to get to the deviation had vanished so decided to return. after speaking to Enduro I had also decided to finish at Megalong so a slow waddle full of lunch down to mountain, picked up a bit of speed about halfway down and then an uneventful run/ walk back over the saddle and down to the river. took the bridge again  and about 20 minutes later Ewan comes shooting past me on his way to a record. nobody else came past until I got to Meagalong rd and made some coffee and heres Beth looking very fresh and after a refill of water on her way. Enduro has been told not to drive. I believe he got the car down megalong rd using left foot accelerator and brakes.
so I had a valid excuse to miss the best part of the run, the joyful exuberant  dash up Nellies . ah well theres always next year and I did get in a solid 45k mountain run

#114 run2work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

View PostMartin Dugdale, on 14 August 2011 - 02:02 PM, said:

showed up for 12ft with the intention of 8ft but ended up with 6ft
well i showed up after catching a ride with Enduro and we arrived at the tree at 6. found Trailpuddin and promptly set off. after about ten minutes they both shot off into the gloom and I continued my cautious descent. all went well until getting to the paddock  after leaving the fire trail.  found Enduro with a very swollen ankle and trailpuddin hovering. between us we got him to megalong rd.  after making sure that rescue was on the way, I carried on, a group of four passed me here, only recognised Spud and Ewan  but all moving very quickly.  on to Pinnacle hill and B2or B1 arrives with Justdidit  ok   after another fifteen minutes Brick and Vstar come past and I start to think  about speeding up a bit. find some legs on the downhill but not enough to outrun Meredith and crew after that decided to cross the river via the bridge as had never done that before and found my way to Megalong camp without any dramas.  got caught and passed by ERB on the climb up mini mini  and then a little while later by Grant . after that I was on my own and heading for a turn around at deviation where B1orB2 had parked the support vehicle, and my lunch.  I was very happy on reaching the Pluviometer to find this vehicle and food and water. also got a phone call from Enduro to tell me he was parked on Megalong rd.  OK well my reasons to get to the deviation had vanished so decided to return. after speaking to Enduro I had also decided to finish at Megalong so a slow waddle full of lunch down to mountain, picked up a bit of speed about halfway down and then an uneventful run/ walk back over the saddle and down to the river. took the bridge again  and about 20 minutes later Ewan comes shooting past me on his way to a record. nobody else came past until I got to Meagalong rd and made some coffee and heres Beth looking very fresh and after a refill of water on her way. Enduro has been told not to drive. I believe he got the car down megalong rd using left foot accelerator and brakes.
so I had a valid excuse to miss the best part of the run, the joyful exuberant  dash up Nellies . ah well theres always next year and I did get in a solid 45k mountain run

A good result. Better than breaking a leg. :o

r2w

#115 Graham Wye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

Inspiring effort by all those at the front of the field, fantastic effort. Unfortunately this was not a good one for me this time, starting very slowly and not getting much quicker, finishing in 14:30, an hour and a half slower than last year.
Still, I really enjoyed the event, the great scenery and of course the great company along the way, although brief as I didn't seem to be able to keep up with anyone for long! Thanks to the Riddler for the company in the last section, and a special thanks to Brian for the great support, that aid station at Pluvio was perfect. (Without that I would have taken even longer!). Hope to be back much quicker next year.

#116 vstaR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

Will post a more complete report in the next day or so, but I finished in 12:47 (a 40 min PB!). I had planned to go out and run 14k's on the trails this morning, for my own version of the Hermann Double, but both feet too blistered to put on shoes, knowing I've got work this week and can't wear thongs.

Overall, had a great day out. Was great to meet Josh, Ridler and a couple of others for the first time, and catch up with old aquaintances like Kim, Spud, Trailpudding, Keiron etc.

A huge thank you to B1orB2 for the food drop at the top of Pluvi.

Brick, so good to see you run to your ability and not be knocked around with stomach issues.

Big congrats to Ewan and Beth who continue their terrific last 12mths or so!

#117 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

Some great runs out there yesterday. Congratulations all. It should set you up for some good results later in the year.

#118 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

How good was that, another beautiful winter’s day with temps at the start warmer than previous years. Good to see some familiar faces at the start along with a few new ones. Most notable was the growing number of females at the start.
We huddled under the tree and were off bang on 7am. I was joined by Josh and soon after Ewan (before he took off up Pinnacle Hill). Enjoyed a nice pace to the river with JC where we used the race day crossing, waist deep and very cold. We trotted some of Mini Mini passing an early starter and once on the saddle I pulled away feeling great on the downhill to Alum Creek.
I was alone now and would stay that way to the finish. Pluvi split was 2.50’ish where B1orB2 had a stash of goodies next to his 4wd, thanks mate. I played yoyo with a few 4wds as I ran the whole of the Black Range. Beth and Justdidit passed me shortly before Deviation with JDI doing 6ft and Beth looking very relaxed. As I pulled into the campground I noticed JDI was using the facilities, I didn’t stop figuring I had enough water to get me to halfway. Felt good up to the road crossing but suffered a low past the cottages finally coming good again on the descent to the caves where Ewan (on his return leg) passed me on the climb up Mt George firetrail.  Beth was on her way up just as I arrived (4.55). Quick refill at the tap and straight back up the steps munching away on my vege sandwich.
A stream of runners were coming down now with the closest (Josh) about 30 mins or so behind me I figured. Everyone was looking in good spirits with Brick stopping to take a quick photo.  I was managing my nutrition quite well with mainly gels, Winners bars and Nuun tablets fuelling me.  However I still managed to hit another trough on the long climb to the road. Deviation appeared after a tough slog and I took a moment to get some more calories in. Despite my lows I was still well ahead of expected splits and knew the best part was to come once I got to Pluvi. Black Range in this direction is meant to be a net downhill but I swear there are still plenty of ‘little’ hills to challenge you. At Pluvi Allison stepped out of Brian’s car, revealing she had been having some shin splint issues and decided to call it a day, prudent move given her run at Commonwealths is coming up. I downed a Gatorade and munched on some cake before bidding Allison farewell and smashing it down Pluvi to the saddle. The downhill stretches were fantastic, really opening up and going hard to the bottom. The creek crossings were very cold on the feet to the point where my toes numbed up. I got a good hike going reaching the top of Mini sitting on around 11.30 finish pace.  The run to the river was beautiful with the cacophony of bellbird and whip birds filling the early afternoon air. I stopped briefly at the tank to refill my handheld before crossing near the rocks. A couple of campers looked on quite bemused. The next section can be a grind so I dug out the ipod shuffle and settled into a good trot/walk along the wonderful singletrack that hugs the river reaching Pinnacle Hill in good time. I looked across the wide expanse to see if I might spot Beth in the distance but alas she was way too quick for me. I was now looking forward to the coke and S&V chips in the tree hollow at Megalong Rd, figuring the chips would settle my stomach which was playing up a tad. Bugger.. upon arrival I noticed the plastic bags placed there had been torn to shreds by some crows, I assumed. Chips were gone but the coke was still there. First time this has happened in many years of running 12FT. Crows have it worked out by now. :Thinking:
I ran solidly to the base of Nellies only having to switch the headlamp on once at the base of the steps. Climb wasn’t too bad with a few stops for breathers. Reached the road and looked at the clock with 11hrs just passing by. Beth and her crew were my welcoming committee as I ran to the tree stopping the clock in 11.04, my third fastest time over the course. Must admit I surprised myself actually with that time as training has been hampered with a back issue I am managing.
I will never grow tired of this run; it’s still one of my favourites of the year. There is something very special about freefalling down Mini in the afternoon watching the sun set on the Katoomba escarpment off in the distance.  Magic!
Awesome course record by Ewan (9.51) and great to see Beth running a super fast time too (10.19?).
Thanks to Brian again for his aid station at Pluvi.
See you all next year.

#119 Beaver

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

Cracking times, well done.

#120 noindifference

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

Awesome year for the 12FT and Fatass! Congratulations to all!

Anyone has news from Grant? Was he able to complete the run and catch his international flight today?

#121 B2orB1

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

Up at 4:30am and out the door by 5:00am, B1orB2 and I made a quick stop at Hornsby and Pennant Hills to pick up Juzz and Brick.

The plan for this run was to make it to Jenolan Caves in 5hrs and back in 6hrs. Possibly even run with Ewan. After an easy start I settled into a comfortable rythem with JustDidit. Man he as a big up hill stride. I spent the climb up to Pluvi walking and jogging trying to keep up. I made it to Caves House just under 5hrs, filled up my water bottle then up and out. It was a good to see everyone close behind. I timed my arrival at pluvi and the car to perfection as ERB was loking for an escape route. Left the car key with her and off I went. I made it back to the tree at 5:20pm (10hrs 20min) to be greeted by no one. After about half an hour B1orB2 arrived with Juzz and ERB just as night was coming on.

Thanks Brick for coming back in a fast time so we didn't have to wait around too long. Very considerate of you. And congratulations on your PB.

B1orB2 took some photos which can be found here.

#122 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:43 AM

View PostB2orB1, on 14 August 2011 - 09:24 PM, said:

Thanks Brick for coming back in a fast time so we didn't have to wait around too long. Very considerate of you. And congratulations on your PB.
Thanks for the nice comment Beth but 2hrs is still a while to hang around and it is very much appreciate.
I will try to be a bit quicker next year.

BTW:
You did not mention that you did a 2hr PB, congratulations.

#123 B1orB2

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

View PostvstaR, on 14 August 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

A huge thank you to B1orB2 for the food drop at the top of Pluvi.

I'm glad that I could help you guys out while getting a run myself. Everyone out there seemed to be enjoying themselves (for an ultra). Also for the second year running I was a conviently located taxi service providing transport back to the tree ;)

Edited by B1orB2, 15 August 2011 - 01:54 PM.

#124 Sir Runalot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

View PostBrick, on 15 August 2011 - 08:43 AM, said:

Thanks for the nice comment Beth but 2hrs is still a while to hang around and it is very much appreciate.I will try to be a bit quicker next year.BTW:You did not mention that you did a 2hr PB, congratulations.
Well, that's because she didn't have me weighing her down like an anchor.No close encounters of the 'horse' kind this year Beth?Great times everyone, lots of PB's so conditions must've been ideal.Enjoyed the reports.SR

#125 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostSir Runalot, on 15 August 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

Well, that's because she didn't have me weighing her down like an anchor.No close encounters of the 'horse' kind this year Beth?Great times everyone, lots of PB's so conditions must've been ideal.Enjoyed the reports.SR
Sir Runalot

I didn't like to mention that point.
And Beth told me as soon as I had finished I have a better 12' PB than you. :Whistle:

#126 royworlds

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

View PostSpud, on 14 August 2011 - 05:28 PM, said:

I was now looking forward to the coke and S&V chips in the tree hollow at Megalong Rd, figuring the chips would settle my stomach which was playing up a tad. Bugger.. upon arrival I noticed the plastic bags placed there had been torn to shreds by some crows, I assumed. Chips were gone but the coke was still there. First time this has happened in many years of running 12FT. Crows have it worked out by now. :Thinking:

After having a quick look around for my missing dinosaur lollies I noticed a crow drinking out of a puddle next to the road.
He must have been thirsty after nicking your chips!

#127 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

Grant's times:
    Out = 7:59
    Back = 12:38
    Total = 20:37

Not quite a negative split ;)
After reaching the tree, a 1hr highway hike back to Leura, 2 hrs sleep, no shower, and a bag of wet (and smellier by the minute) race gear, I got my flight to LA. A true Fatass! :Sleepy:

Thanks for a great day out everyone!

#128 TheRidler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

View PostRawAussieAthlete, on 15 August 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

Grant's times:

After reaching the tree, a 1hr highway hike back to Leura, 2 hrs sleep, no shower, and a bag of wet (and smellier by the minute) race gear, I got my flight to LA. A true Fatass! :Sleepy:

Did you get your Mum to do your washing for you?

Say Hi for me and enjoy your stay

Ridler :Cuppa:

#129 noindifference

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:00 PM

Good to know Grant! Take care, and get some sleep ;)

View PostRawAussieAthlete, on 15 August 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

Grant's times:

#130 ratdog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

Wow

these reports are bloody awesome, well done to all for completing the run or even attempting it.  So many Pbs which is good after some freezing cold races in the past.

After reading this thread, I think Ill attempt the Half 12ft this year if my internet connection is quick enough.

#131 jcooper

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:25 AM

so no one lost any keys out there of know of someone who did

#132 MQ

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

I have to agree with Spud, 12ft is definitely a favourite of the year, and it didn't fail to deliver - great weather, great company and a good solid training run. Thanks Brian for the Aid station - it was awesome getting to the top of Pluvi and having that as a reward. Well done Beth on keeping the fast boys honest, I am sure having you on his tail, Ewan had no choice but to do a course record :)  

Speaking of girls, we had a great roll up in the female ranks, gone are the days when it was just ERB and myself. Sabina and Jess both did their first and kept me honest for a decent PB. I couldn't beleive we were in Nellies Glen with a 6 at the front of the hour. I am sure ERB is keeping her current form under wraps for the big event coming up...And Justine was out there for a look perhaps in antipation of the full monty next year.

Well done JCOOPER on your first crack at it too, next year you might be able to keep up with the old ducks :)

And Brick was very chivalrous waiting at the top of the stairs for Jess so we could run in together, well done on a great PB.

#133 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

View Postratdog, on 15 August 2011 - 10:14 PM, said:

After reading this thread, I think Ill attempt the Half 12ft this year if my internet connection is quick enough.
Oi Ratty, don't start the "internet connection" furphy again. :o

People entered using phones, dial up and obviously broadband. The internet speed was not a factor that prevented people.

Access to internet ...maybe, but there was warning that it was 'internet only'.

Tardiness and thinking it won't fill quickly...that was the only  common reason for all.

cheers

#134 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:20 AM

Hi all,

Are there any more details of the run or times people took?  I have been looking forward to reading how people went.

Cheers, David

Edit: The problem was with my PC (or the user) - for some reason I hadn't been able to pick up the reports. Well done to all involved

Edited by David C, 17 August 2011 - 05:25 AM.

#135 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

My legs are now nicely recovered so I can write my race report and pretend that didn't hurt at all.

14:36 all up for me.  A bit of an improvement from last year but nothing major although generally felt stronger and more confident with it. Yet again I tell myself that bagging a 12ft shouldn't be taken for granted - but I want to be faster! I took my emergency granny stick with me after my dinky SJ had me bed ridden for 2 days in the lead up.  Whipped out the little weapon on Mini when a few bits started to pinch and clicked into granny shuffle mode and showed no fear on Pluvi and the black range.

One of the aspects I like most about 12 ft is seeing all the great runners in action.  Ewan was absolutely flying but one wrong move and Beth would have had him.

Return trip was a lot of fun.  Chaffing around my waist band gave me a great excuse to wear harry high pants.  I think I might have scared a possum off a branch and certainly stunned 2 bushwalkers who thought they were the only crazies out at night.

Top weather, top company.  Still no travelator up Nellies.  Sorry to see ERB and Enduro both go out to injury. Great to meet Ridler at last! I could be wrong but I reckon the field was about 50% girls? Yeah!

It's a highly rewarding but quite stupid sport.

Kirrily

Edited by trailpuddin, 17 August 2011 - 09:09 PM.

#136 vstaR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

Apologies if this seems a little indulgent to post an in-depth race report a few days after the event, but I often refer back to previous race reports (both mine and others) to learn from the experiences and try to do things better each time:

I had been excitedly waiting for the weekend of 12 Foot to arrive, having not done any decent length runs since NF100 in May and an unplanned Macleay Marathon in June (always a bonus to suddenly have a weekend away at a location nearby a race!), so I'd had a pretty happy week leading up to last Saturday. Having previously completed 12 Foot in 13:27 (2009) and PB'ing those last two races this year, I'd set my splits for a 13:10 goal time.

Knowing that my NF100 experience had been affected by poorly managed nutrition/hydration, I'd packed a fair bit of food and drink, with 4 separate bag drops packed for different parts of the course, one of which I was fortunate to be able to give to B1orB2 to take up to Black Range. The car park at Explorer's Tree was cold (5C), so a quick rethink on my clothing was needed, but you could tell it was going to be a beautiful day with hardly a cloud visible above us. Said hello to some of the mainstays of the ultra scene - Brick, Spud, ERB, Kim, B2orB1 & B1orB2, JustDidIt (without pram and son this time) - and got to meet some others I'd not met before, like Josh and the Ridler. Had a banana and finished a powerade I'd been drinking on the drive up to Katoomba.

Over to the Tree for the pre-start photo, and a quick headcount suggested 15 starters, somewhat down on '09's 28 starters. Spud announced it was time to go and we set off. Running along that first 300 metres, I was amazed at how little some were carrying - them looking like they'd only packed for a 2hr run, whereas my heavily-laden pack looked like I had enough for a 5 day march in comparison.

Safely down Nellies Stairs and was soon running along with Ridler and Brick at a pace a tad under 5min/k. Dropped my first bag at about 5k's (although "looking for a dump site" meant something different to The Ridler), and my second drop at McLellan's Bridge, and got to Megalong Rd just under 1 hr. Decided to slow down and eat an energy bar, then soon after a vegemite sandwich (gotta get that sodium) as I walked that first steep hill before Pinnacle Hill, catching Brick and Ridler just before the sty. The three of us ran well along the single track to the Cox's, passing Martin who'd started at 6am. Got to Cox's in about 1:42, which was nearly 10mins up on my target split. Brick managed to rock hop across Cox's, but after getting halfway across and only wetting one foot, decided a controlled descent into the water was safer than an uncontrolled submersion, so waded across the rest in water up to my knees. It was cold!

Dropped another bag of powerade, chips and snakes at the river, took out my second sandwich, some salt tablets and chips and started the long walk up Mini, soon losing Ridler then Brick off into the distance. Kim soon caught up to me, and we walked along chatting for a few kms. The wet socks, coupled with walking up the inclines, meant that I developed rub spots on the rear of both heels, which soon turned into blisters. Now, ultras, blisters and me are common acquaintances but I was really annoyed that I was wearing the same socks and trail shoes I'd worn at NF100 and some long training runs on the NF course over Easter and not had one heel blister then, nor during Six Foot earlier this year. Obviously, the fact that I was taking it easier meant I was walking more and running less, causing the spot to rub more, as I found there was nowhere near the discomfort when I started running. Eventually, at about the 20km mark I sat on the side of the track to apply bandaids to both heels.

Stayed with Kim until we reached the summit of Mini Mini, having been passed by the three girls just after the new-look cattle yards. Once it was 'runnable' for me, I moved along at my own pace and soon left Kim who was taking it easier than me. The next 3 water crossings were just as cold, but I just took it relatively easy thru the flat of Alum Creek before starting the climb up Pluvi. Ate another banana, had a gel and took out my handheld with powerade for Pluvi. Reached the top of Pluvi in 3:38, a few minutes behind target - clearly I was taking it a little too easy. Saw the car with all the supplies laid out beside it, but decided I still had enough on me so left my drop bag untouched for the return trip.

It was such a great feeling to hit the Black Range with no leg cramps and not feeling exhausted! However, I knew I was getting toward tired, and another blister had formed on the inside of my right heel, so as I was on my own I took out my Ipod Shuffle intending to run a lot of the next two hours. I really should do more barefoot training to toughen up my feet! Although I still walked a lot of the inclines, I was moving well along Black Range and got to Deviation about 5mins up on schedule (4:35). Had caught up to Trailpuddin at the Camp Grounds there and we had a nice but brief catch up before she was pushing me on. I couldn't believe how early Royworlds passed me, so thought he was on track to give the course record a shake. As expected, B2orB1 was next, then Spud, then Brick. For the last couple of years, I've too frequently come across Brick in a battle with his body, so I was really pleased that today he was able to run to his capability, and he was looking strong. Continued to enjoy running whenever I could and the tunes had me zoning out, just enjoying the moment, the scenery and feeling alive, finally arriving at Caves House in 5:50, ten minutes ahead of set splits.

Used the facilities at the Caves, changed into my thermal top and refilled my water bladder, and after a bit more mucking around and chatting to a tourist who'd previously run 6Foot a number of times, I headed back up the hill. All up, 16 mins for the stop.

The climb back out from Jenolan was really painful on my feet and I felt fatigued - maybe from the sitting and standing around I'd cooled down too much - with nothing of the energy I'd felt running down the last km or so to Caves House. The next 3kms took 17:38, 19:40 and 18:32 respectively, and at times the Garmin was showing I was walking at 23-25min/k. Another gel and more salt tablets and I was hoping that this down period would pass soon after I got to the top. Sure enough, by the time I got to Binda Cabins I was just starting to feel like running again, with only a minor bit of nausea seemingly from all the sweet but unsubstantial foods I was consuming. By the time I got to the Caves Rd crossing, I was looking at my watch and wondering how much of the Black Range I could run and trying to work out how much ahead of time I could get to Deviation.

A few times I've been told by more experienced runners "when you feel like you can't run, just shuffle along but don't walk the flats or downhills". The more I ran the better I felt, whereas whenever I had to or chose to walk, I'd start feeling crappier. I've now come to the conclusion that not only do gels and foods help with the highs and lows, but the endorphins that we all get from going for a run also help provide the up times during a long run. With this in mind (as an experiment of one), I made it a mission to keep running at any pace except for any significant inclines.

I arrived at Deviation (7:43) in relatively good spirits, 17 mins ahead of schedule and thinking I was on track for a sub-13hr 12Foot. Knowing the next 10k or so was predominantly runnable, sub-13 became my new goal. Just past Deviation, on that really steep rocky pinch that kills everyone during 6Foot, there was a convoy of six or seven 4x4 utes - the 'Wolf Pack' I think they were called - and a heap of guys standing around drinking beer while waiting for a flat tyre to be fixed, and I had to run through a gauntlet of cheers and waving beer bottles - all in good fun. I was feeling pretty good through here but there were a number of large puddles to go around so I ran harder just in case the Wolf Pack decided to include me and the mud into their fun day out. Once they'd caught up, the steep pinches, loose rocks and fallen large branches meant that I was able to stay ahead of the lead 2 utes for a good 6-7 minutes and I was starting to enjoy being 'the rabbit', particularly as the carry-on from the guys (pretending to jockey whip the truck to race me to the next puddle etc) told me they were decent blokes just having fun and weren't d***heads. Soon enough, the overall effort of the day caught up to me so I stood off the track and waved the guys through.

The next gel really didn't sit well in my stomach, so by the time I reached ERB and B1orB2 at Pluvi in 8:38 (22mins ahead of schedule) I was feeling quite nauseous. However, I had banked on that possibility by including a can of ginger beer in the bag I'd given B1. Bunny told me to get going as the 3 girls and Josh had only just left a couple of minutes before, but I took my time chatting and drinking my ginger soft drink, spending about 10 mins there allowing my stomach to settle. I also transferred a powerade into my handheld, so I didn't have to worry about dropping it on the fast downhill run of Pluviometer. As I left, ERB reminded me that the gap between me and the girls was now "much more than 3 minutes".

Had a fairly uneventful descent of Pluvi, just trying to limit the quad damage by not going too hard. Once I was through Alum Creek, I took out a PeanutButter&Honey sandwich I'd collected from B1 and ate it on the slow walk back up the opposite side of Mini Mini. I'd actually made this sandwich on Friday night along with my vegemite sandwiches, so the contents had now had over 21hrs to soak into the bread. I thought that I really should eat this, regardless, to get the carbs and sugar, but it was a struggle. I threw up before I could finish the sandwich, but this turned out to be a blessing as I soon felt better for it.

Running again over the top and down Mini, I came across Josh just before the cattleyards. He was ok, just paying for his fast paced run to Jenolan. Arrived at Cox's River in 10:05, still 15 mins up on schedule. I'd remembered Shogun commenting on his course record run that "the 2:18 from the river to the finish was humbling and tough", and tried to judge what sort of shape I was in (pretty good actually!) compared to the sort of shape he would have been in given how hard he was pushing himself that day. Admittedly he's a much stronger and faster runner than me, but I figured 2:55 could be doable against his 2:18, so definitely now was chasing a sub-13hr finish time. I picked up my drop bag, pocketing the S&V chips and snakes but packing the powerade and gel in my camelbak. I still didn't fancy crossing the river up to my waist, as it was already getting colder with dusk (it was just on 5pm), so I found a shallow section of rapids and waded across picking my way through the rocks, again only wetting up to my knees.

I had to turn on my headlamp about 10 minutes before the single track opens onto farmland before Pinnacle Hill, and also had a small 1W handheld torch, but still felt I was making good time. At the sty on Pinnacle Hill, I hoped to be able to see torchlight from the girls in the distance to give me someone to chase down, but there was only darkness so figured the girls had powered away. Got to Megalong Rd in 11:16, 24 mins up, and starting to wonder how much under 13 hrs I could do.

I then had a rather unsettling experience on Nellies Glen Rd. As I'd mentioned earlier, I had stashed a bag with drink and food just after coming through the gate about 5k's in. Running along by myself in the dark, focusing my lamp light on the few feet in front of me to avoid tripping over rocks and sticks and listening to my Ipod, I came upon the gate unexpectedly. Realising that my bag drop was behind a tree about 20m behind me, I turned around to backtrack and instantly got a reflection of two red eyes - a wild animal in the middle of the road? Thinking it was a fox (too high from the ground to be a possum), I just assumed it would dart away so I walked off the track, stepped around the tree and picked up my bag. As I turned back on to the dirt road I spotted that the animal was closer than before. It just stood there out in the middle of the road, and blinked as I stood there trying to work out if I'm in trouble. Still too far out of range to see what it was, but clearly from the way it was moving/trotting towards me (as I'm jogging towards the gate) I'm now thinking local dog/feral cat? I was not in a condition to outrun the thing, and could see that the gate had a fair clearance underneath that any large dog could get under. I got to the gate, undid the latch and stepped through. The animal was now running quicker towards me (and I'm crapping myself now!), so thinking back to a Steve Irwin doco (the things that come to mind, huh?) I brought my handtorch up level with my headlamp, then extended my arm out as far as I could reach and stood on my toes, trying to make myself look much bigger. Amazingly, that worked, the animal stopped, blinked again, then took off into the bush. For the next 20 mins or so I was spinning around every 10-15 steps to see if it was again tracking me. It was a good 10 mins before I realised I was running with a plastic bag in my hand, and hadn't taken any of the contents out. To be honest, I didn’t really feel comfortable until reaching the single track that signals the start of the final climb.

I had reached the 86km mark in 11:58, so was trying to calculate how long those last 4km would take.  Could I average 15min/k or better to the finish? I swung my arms to try to get a power-walk happening, continued eating snakes, and drinking powerade but avoiding the gels and energy bars I was still carrying. I only stopped once going up the stairs, which was a first for me, but couldn't run until I reached the first car park. Ran from there until I touched the tree - 12:47:34 (a 40min PB).

Bunny and the 3 girls were sitting in a car, eating and trying to stay warm, a quick chat about finish times, then into the car to change clothes, warm up and drive home. It's almost anti-climactic to finish such a big run, then just get in your car and go home alone, but I was pleased that I was able to drive and not cramp up, or feel too tired to drive.

Sunday afternoon, unpacking my pack I found I still had: 2 x 600ml Powerade bottles, 3 x gels, 2x Trail Bars, 2 x Energy Bars and 1 x S&V chips. Clearly, way too much food.

Lessons learnt:
- don't pack as much food, irrespective of the scientific advice re carb intake
- purchase better clothing (arm warmers? Icebreaker gear?) that will keep me warm without being heavy to carry or too hot and sweaty to wear
- consuming 2 salt tablets every 1.5-2 hrs worked really well, with virtually no cramping despite the hammering to the legs on this course
- introduce specific training/time barefoot to toughen edges of soles (not sure what to do about back of heel though?)

#137 vstaR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

View Posttrailpuddin, on 17 August 2011 - 06:10 PM, said:

It's a highly rewarding but quite stupid sport.

Kirrily

Now there's a quote for the signature box!!

Awesome time Kirrily, and nothing like midnight!

#138 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

Great report vstar, one for for the 12FT folklore annals :)

#139 flyingemu

it's Sir emu to you...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

View Postratdog, on 15 August 2011 - 10:14 PM, said:

onya Ratty, do it do it doooo iiiiit

View Posttrailpuddin, on 17 August 2011 - 06:10 PM, said:

Chaffing around my waste band gave me a great excuse to wear harry high pants.

Either you had chaffing in a VERY unfortunate place, or you made a VERY unfortunate typo. Either way, ouch!

#140 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

View Postflyingemu, on 17 August 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

Either you had chaffing in a VERY unfortunate place, or you made a VERY unfortunate typo. Either way, ouch!

hahaha...that took me a minute to work out what you were going on about - post now editted!!

#141 lastish

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

Started at 2 am thinking that if I had a good day I might be finished by 7pm.  But not to be ...
Reached Caves House 9:00;  return to the Tree, total 19:51.
This year got home and had some sleep before completing the Hermann double in 1:40:53.

#142 TallGeoff

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

Just throwing it out there.  12 Foot 2013.  10th August.  6am at the tree.  So far Geoff and Innes.  Anyone else?

#143 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'll be in the UK. See you at GNW100s and if my entry (whenever they open) is accepted for C2K, see you there too!
- Grant

#144 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

4 days away and wondering if Im fit enough. guess theres  only one way to find out

Edited by Martin Dugdale, 06 August 2013 - 06:17 PM.