• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

Ponkey (Hellgate option)
Brick (Hellgate option)
Terry (Hellgate option)
Beaver (Hellgate + extra rep of Moorara Boss)

Support our Australian advertisers:

#52 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

View PostBeaver, on 05 April 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

Ponkey (Hellgate option)
Brick (Hellgate option)
Terry (Hellgate option)
Martin Dugdale ( hellgate option)

#53 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:32 AM

Ponkey (Hellgate option)
Brick (Hellgate option)
Terry (Hellgate option)
Grant [RawAussieAthlete] (BOTW)
Dan [Wadaye] (BOTW)

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 06 April 2011 - 12:33 AM.

#54 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

View Postwadaye, on 05 April 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

I think probably first light start.

Do we expect lots of drinkable water along the way so that a filter and huge water drop is not necessary?

I'll be driving so there'll be a car.
Dan,

First Light = 5:48am
Sunrise = 6:13am
Sunset = 5:40pm
Last Light = 6:05pm

I suggest we get to sleep early and break trail around 5am.
The more daylight we have on the way back, the better.

When and where can I meet you to get a lift?
I sent a message to your CoolRunning inbox yesterday. Please read it :)

Doing the same water drops as last year would be smart.
Hopefully we arrive early enough on Friday to do the drop.

We can assess how we're each doing before embarking on the out and back.
I'm assuming we're both up for it.

- Grant

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 06 April 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#55 Brick

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:05 AM

View PostRawAussieAthlete, on 06 April 2011 - 12:32 AM, said:

Ponkey (Hellgate option)
Terry (Hellgate option)
Grant [RawAussieAthlete] (BOTW)
Dan [Wadaye] (BOTW)
All changed I can't do Hellgate any more I have to look after the children while my wife does Uni assignments.
Thems the breaks, have fun everybody.

#56 wadaye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

View PostRawAussieAthlete, on 06 April 2011 - 12:50 AM, said:

Dan,

First Light = 5:48am
Sunrise = 6:13am
Sunset = 5:40pm
Last Light = 6:05pm

I suggest we get to sleep early and break trail around 5am.
The more daylight we have on the way back, the better.

When and where can I meet you to get a lift?
I sent a message to your CoolRunning inbox yesterday. Please read it :)

Doing the same water drops as last year would be smart.
Hopefully we arrive early enough on Friday to do the drop.

We can assess how we're each doing before embarking on the out and back.
I'm assuming we're both up for it.

- Grant

All sounds pretty good. I'm a little healthier than last year and looking after my sleep too! Calculating that I'm up to it. Been night running a lot too (sans lights).
I think a 5 am start is good. Need to be bright and early at the campsite. I'm living at Mt Druitt. Where can I give you a lift from - I think to aim to arrive at campsite around 9pm is good? I can pick you up from a station if you like, my telephone is 0431 069 444.
Re water drop I do have a pump filter we could possibly use otherwise the water drop - your call.
Best
Dan

#57 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:48 PM

View PostBrick, on 06 April 2011 - 08:05 AM, said:

All changed I can't do Hellgate any more I have to look after the children while my wife does Uni assignments.
Thems the breaks, have fun everybody.

So you're taking the Hellgate at Home option ;)
Enjoy the family time :)

#58 Windy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

I am planning to do this run on Saturday 8am start. I will be on my own and plan to drive to the camp site on Saturday morning, I only want to do the Hellgate option though as training for TNF100, so not too fast. If you judge it against SFT, I thought perhaps 6-7 hrs for Hellgate? (i did 5.5 hrs for SFT).

Following the thread, I am a little concerned there will be no one at the start and I will be running on my own so don't want to get lost. Is the route easy to find using the map?

Is there anyone else that is a sure thing for the 8am start?

Thanks

Windy

#59 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:14 PM

View PostWindy, on 07 April 2011 - 01:22 PM, said:

I am planning to do this run on Saturday 8am start. I will be on my own and plan to drive to the camp site on Saturday morning, I only want to do the Hellgate option though as training for TNF100, so not too fast. If you judge it against SFT, I thought perhaps 6-7 hrs for Hellgate? (i did 5.5 hrs for SFT).

Following the thread, I am a little concerned there will be no one at the start and I will be running on my own so don't want to get lost. Is the route easy to find using the map?

Is there anyone else that is a sure thing for the 8am start?

Thanks

Windy
Easy to navigate as long as you have the map and directions.

#60 Kaos

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

A couple of my mates (also training for tnf100) will be there and I think they will be starting at the appointed time.
They are about your pace but are planning to do a bit extra at the end.
Nutters.....

#61 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

Pretty easy to navigate - the only mildly tricky bit is the untracked climb towards Oaky Camp - just make sure you turn hard right at the gate and follow the nose of the ridge. The other bit that catches people out is the first Moorara Boss intersection - you need to pay attention as it is kind of a reverse Y and people nattering have missed it in the past.

7 hours is about right for a 5.5 hour SFT - maybe a bit quicker if you like hills.

I had harboured hopes of coming up and crewing - but I'm still not up to driving that far.

Have fun everyone and stay safe.

Cheers, 2P :)

Edited by Twopennys, 07 April 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#62 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:12 PM

Have a great run everybody.  Hellgate is one of my favourite fatasses so sorry to not be there with you but my mission this weekend is to feast.  
K

#63 seris

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

View Posttrailpuddin, on 07 April 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

Have a great run everybody.  Hellgate is one of my favourite fatasses so sorry to not be there with you but my mission this weekend is to feast.  
K
Was seriously worried what you were doing posting on this thread!!!!! Glad you are resting up. Catch you for a run soon, enjoy a well deserved non running weekend. :im Not Worthy:

#64 Thomas

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

I thought that I was out, then I thought I was in, but now I'm definitely out. Going oversees on saturday. Love this run, hopefully get up there another weekend.

Have fun all, I'll be thinking about you.

Tom

#65 Chopper

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

I'm in for just the plain hell rather than any hellish hell variants but need to start at 6am to get back in time for a 40th birthday. Even then I'm going to be 2 hours late, turns out..."I'm going to be late to your 40th because I'm going for a run" doesn't hold much currency as an excuse in the wider world.

#66 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

View PostBrick, on 07 April 2011 - 02:14 PM, said:

Easy to navigate as long as you have the map and directions.
and you are NOT following Buzz

#67 royworlds

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

Will be running the Hellgate option for the first time.
Looks like good Solitary training which is good training for NorthFace.

Thinking 8am start unless 'the pack' is leaving at 7.
I'll keep an eye on last minute replies.

#68 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

Saturday was not an option for me so I ran it today. Never get tired of that cracking downhill to the river, ranks right up there with the best in my book.
Trail is in good condition, a couple of trees down on Blood Filly FT and plenty of soft white 'mica' gravel going down Moorara to the river. :)
Stacks of roos and black cockatoos about. Saw one guy at Jenolan Caves, otherwise had the trail to myself.

Allow yourselves a bit of extra time getting there and back as there are road works on Victoria Pass, one lane only (worse coming back).

Enjoy all, I know I did. :)

#69 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

my plans have changed slightly, can't get away this evening so will be leaving early morning and will start asap after arrival

#70 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

I love your work Spud - it does my old heart good to know people are still getting so much enjoyment out of this run.

I WILL be there for 2012... (He says wistfully and with much resentment looking at the walking stick in the corner.....)

#71 Just Did It

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:07 AM

Fantastic Blue Mountains weather.  Set off at about 0800 with about 6 or 7 runners.  4 had left earlier, around 0700, including the Bouncing Off The Walls crew.  Jan the Herminator went in reverse.  Came across this big guy powering up onto Mooroora Boss.....

I got back at 1.49 pm, so about 5 hrs 49, with Terry sneaking up behind in about 5hrs 51min.  Ewan arrived a few minutes later.  We all had to get going, already being late for rest-of-afternoon activities.

The highlight was seeing a large platypus in the pool downstream from Jenolan Caves. Plus inpressive goannas, birds, walabies, kangaroos.  I drank from the Jenolan River before ascending the unbelievable hill to Black Range.  I will let you know if I get sick.....

Great run.  Hope the bouncing off the walls guys get home in a reasonable state.

Regards
Just Did It

#72 Windy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

I also had a fantastic run. I was a bit behind, coming in just over 7:30, not sure exact time because I did not look at the time when I finished and also started my watch 500m down the track at the start. I only carried a 2 litre hydration pack and topped up with 1 more litre on the way. It wasn't enough and I had to conserve water starting the main descent. I was not brave enough to take water out of the Jenolan river, began to feel pretty dry going up the main ascent, glad that it was in the shade of the mountain.

I finally ran out of water with about 5k to go, but recognised the 6' track, so knew I would last OK.

The weather was great and I also saw a platypus and goanna, no wallabies though.

Thanks to Mike who ran with me for most of the way, we nutted out the decisions together when we were uncertain the correct direction. Didn't really use the map as much as the written directions which were excellent. Also really appreciated the advice from other runners before we started off. I think Mike finished about 15 minutes ahead of me.

Really would like to do it again next year

Windy

#73 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

How my pack tried to cut me in half

this is the first year that I have not camped at the deviation and also the first year that I have not put out water drops. this meant that I started with about 6kg of food and fluids in my Inov8 pack. this included filling the horizontal bladder with water.
Not many at the start this year counted 8 plus those that left earlier.  Jan left in the wrong direction with the intention of doing a clockwise loop.
I felt clumsy and heavy on the descent to caves house but was very happy to spot a platypus swimming and diving in the pool.  met a couple of day trippers who warned me about snakes and then a slow jog along the river path  and here we are again at the bottom of the mountain. one more change this year, I had grabbed a couple of old ski poles from the garage and now put them to use getting up the ridge to  oaky camp. stopped when I got to the fire trail to scrape a marker for Jan and then off up the trail and onward. met up with Jan on the blood filly trail and now looked forward to running went OK for about an hour and then got really uncomfortable. My pack was wearing a hole in my back at waist level. stopped and tried to repack it, but that did not seem to do much so carried on but now running had started to hurt so slowed down. by the time I got to the top of Moorara boss I had lost a lot of skin and some flesh. so ran slowly down the mountain, had a fall close to the bottom but no major damage and then a wash in the river refill my water bottle and treat with steripen and back up the mountain. last year in a seriously unfit condition it took 1hr 45 this time with poles 1hr 30 to the black range road not much run left in me until a couple of the guys who had done a 60k option caught up with me at the plantation so manager a jog for the last 300 metres. all up ten long hours.
next year I thinK I will got back to the Nathan HPL2 :)

Edited by Martin Dugdale, 10 April 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#74 Just Did It

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:39 PM

Martin, 10 hours, you had a big day.  That platypus must have really been flaunting itself, if you and Windy saw it as well.  Seeing such an normally elusive animal is good reward for those hills.  Maybe they are only elusive in the Blue Mountains?  I hear they are commmonly seen in other parts of the country. Re backpack, try old school.

Regards
Just Did It

Edited by Just Did It, 10 April 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#75 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:48 AM

I used the same pack Martin, but I have replaced the crappy horizontal bladder with a standard camelbak one, works well.
I carried 3ltrs from Caves house not wanting to refill at the river after watching the sewage dump at the pumphouse. So how's the stomach today?
Missed the platypus, but I was a day early.

#76 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

my stomach is OK but then I did use my steripen and with hindsight should have relied on that rather than using the bladder. the main question is though whether it was the low down weight of the bladder or the design or set up of the pack that created the problem. I will experiment again when I have grown some new skin

#77 Chopper

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

Had a great run with perfect weather in an amazing location (thanks Two Penny for your gift to the running community). I was on the lookout for the platypus but it must have been too early - left a bit after 7am with the BOTW duo (Grant and Dan). They looked like they'd be in for a long night, I left them relocating a watermelon, 10 grapefruits and litres of water 4.5km from Kanangra Walls Road to Luther’s Fire Trail turn off. Hope they made it back ok, we joked about calling SARS if they didn't file a race report?

I did ok with water although it was hot coming down the Boss (even noted in the course description). Filled up with 2.5 litres at Caves and made it back to Deviation with a bit to spare (water not energy) so no need to test the Jenolan waters. The climb down from Morara Boss keeps you on your toes and rewards fast feet. The wombats are doing well down in the valley, must be some sort of wombat paradise!

Even as I hobbled the last few kilometres to the finish after coming off second best from the duel with the climb up to Black Range Road, I kept on wondering to myself - with 700+  entrants in the NF100 and a full wait list, why isn’t this run more popular?

Edited by Chopper, 11 April 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#78 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

Good to see people had a good day out - I used a steripen on the water from the river when I did it as an overnight pack walk in 2009 and had no ill effects - other than mental scarring from thinking about what happens a few clicks upstream.....

Hope your skin grows back soon Martin :)

Wonder how Jan went in reverse? Finding the right ridge for the descent from Oaky would be a reasonable challenge unless he had programmed waypoints - even then it wouldn't be straight forward - be good to get an opinion which way is more difficult - I suspect the reverse, though you do get the benefit of replenishing at the caves prior to the final climb.

Be good to hear from the BOTW crew too.

Chopper - being a fat ass training run in a wilderness area it is probably a good thing that the numbers keep modest.

Edited by Twopennys, 11 April 2011 - 10:52 AM.

#79 Windy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

Sorry to hear about your equipment issues Martin. I had a similar INOV8 pack and had no problems. I am still using the orginal horizontal bladder. I have only used the pack about five times and am just starting to get use to it.

Windy

#80 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

I've done around 30 races of 100km+ and this one was my slowest 100kms ever by several hours! :)
7am start...9:15am finish...the following morning!
26hrs 15mins!
I think with a little bit of hill training, my almost 90 year old grandmother will be out to set a new record next year.
Epic race report to come when I catch up on email and stuff.

Dan took a wrong turn on the way to Kanangra (somewhere around 40km into the race?) and ended up out on Kanangra Walls Rd at which point he turned back given he had no water, his ceramic water pump had failed and his running mojo was starting to fade. He got further into BOTW than he did last year which was great to see. He'll be back again next year for BOTW.

- Grant

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 12 April 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#81 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Glad to hear you both got out OK - looking forward to the report.

Congratulations on your finish - it sounds epic!

#82 Nickelass

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

View PostRawAussieAthlete, on 12 April 2011 - 10:24 AM, said:

I've done around 30 races of 100km+ and this one was my slowest 100kms ever by several hours! :)
7am start...9:15am finish...the following morning!
26hrs 15mins!
I think with a little bit of hill training, my almost 90 year old grandmother will be out to set a new record next year.
Epic race report to come when I catch up on email and stuff.
What an effort!  Well done on finishing it.  Look forward to reading the race report.

#83 wadaye

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

View PostNickelass, on 12 April 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

What an effort!  Well done on finishing it.  Look forward to reading the race report.

Hi Folks, yes my running mojo was all used up. But at least it was a nice walk back to Jenolan. Had to take that route, and just drank out of the ford on Blood Filly Fire Trail before the BOTW out and back junction. Also drank straight from the ford about 6kms into the out and back, it runs straight out of a nice reedy lake! So for those who are game in the wetter years there's no issue regarding water. There are two possible drop points as well for those who like to be overabuntantly prepared. The first at junction blood filly fire trail and Kanangra and the second where the course meets Kanangra Walls Rd near to Kanangra Walls.
Not so sure about carrying watermelons!

Thanks to Martin for the followup call this morning just to make sure everything OK

#84 jan

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:12 PM

After a breathtakingly beautiful morning drive to Black Range with clouds in the valleys and glorious sunshine above I spent a wonderful autumn day in the mountains. Lots of wildlife - goanna, snake, black cockatoos, flocks of rosellas, but I didn't manage to spot the platypus. Good to see everyone coming through - that's the beauty of going the other way 'round. Well done Grant and Dan for bouncing/giving it a go!

2P (hope you are getting better mate; all the best!) - practicing picking the ridge from Oaky Camp was part of the exercise for me because we'll need to do that (in the dark, most likely) at Easter with 136+ ks in the legs. It turned out to be surprisingly straightforward: Where the trail flattens out and makes a right turn towards the Oaky Camp clearing (3349'30.68"S, 150 2'23.40"E), I followed the faint 4WD track left that heads WNW and then picks up the steep ridge NW. About 100 m above the river (3349'17.20"S, 150 2'10.30"E), the ridge forks I kept to the right and headed N to the lower ridge that took me down less steeply directly to the gate by the river.

Can't say which way 'round is more difficult because I haven't traversed the Gorge in CCW direction yet. I felt very good throughout the whole thing, getting back in 8:32 h at a very pleasing 5.3 km/h average walking pace. Thanks everyone for showing up and to 2P for putting this beauty on the calendar.

Cheers,

Jan

#85 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

Cheers Jan - thanks for the feedback. As for me this illness is more of an ultra marathon than a sprint, but like any ultra - every minute gets me closer to my destination.

That is an awesome walking pace over that terrain - well done :)

#86 Kaos

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

Is anyone thinking about doing this in 2012 yet? I'd like to pencil it in for tnf training. In 2011 it was the same weekend as Canberra which makes it the weekend of April 14-15. However that's the weekend before Mt Solitary.......... be nice to have a bit more of a gap?

#87 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

It is a Solid and hard run. Am keen for the week before Solitary or even the one before. But Seriously though, don't count me for navigating.

Yours sincerely,
Buzz (multiple Golden Compass Winner):Hypnotized:

#88 Windy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

I enjoyed it so much last year, I will definately do it again. I would prefer it to be at least two weeks before Solitary though. I have not stopped going on how much I enjoyed it last year, so i'm sure some mates will tag along this year!

Buzz, i found the written directions better than trying to follow the map, so you don't need compass skills.

Windy

#89 Kaos

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

so a tentative April 7 2012 then?
I missed it this year because of a wedding and would be keen to have a go.

#90 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

the 7th suits me but may start early

#91 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

WindyKaos
Martin'C2k'dugdaleBuzz

Edited by buzzlightyear, 20 December 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#92 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

I created a new topic to continue talk for next year's Hellgate: Hellgate Gorge Fat Ass 2012