Jump to content


New Balance MinimusTrail MT10/WT10


  • You cannot reply to this topic
59 replies to this topic

#1 flyingemu

    it's Sir emu to you...

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Joined: 28-November 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

Anyone interested in the soon to be released NB Minimus (the shoes NB have designed with Anton Krupicka), might also be interested in knowing that they will NOT be released in Australia.

I emailed NB Australia about it and got this response.

No, the Minimus line will not be available in Australia.

In the US, standard widths will be released during the first half of March, with wide widths to follow in July or August. (The precise release dates are moving targets.)

Our US site (shopnewbalance.com) will make exceptions to ship shoes internationally, with the caveat that all import fees, taxes, and tariffs will be your responsibility. However, the line has NOT been released in the US, and preorders and NOT available.

Edited by flyingemu, 12 February 2011 - 10:06 PM.


Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 BEN-HUR

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Joined: 08-June 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:36 AM

View Postflyingemu, on 12 February 2011 - 10:06 PM, said:

Anyone interested in the soon to be released NB Minimus (the shoes NB have designed with Anton Krupicka), might also be interested in knowing that they will NOT be released in Australia.

I emailed NB Australia about it and got this response.

No, the Minimus line will not be available in Australia.

In the US, standard widths will be released during the first half of March, with wide widths to follow in July or August. (The precise release dates are moving targets.)

Our US site (shopnewbalance.com) will make exceptions to ship shoes internationally, with the caveat that all import fees, taxes, and tariffs will be your responsibility. However, the line has NOT been released in the US, and preorders and NOT available.

Thanks 'flyingemu' for looking into this & giving us the update. These shoes have been discussed on this forum in the past as I'm sure plenty here were keen to get a pair. Why?... well, at least I (& I'm sure plenty of other runners) thought it was a step in the right direction for running shoes. Hence the title of the thread I started last year associated to them... A Step In The Right Direction For Running Shoes - New Balance Minimus collection.  

I would really like to know why New Balance has made this decision. Maybe somebody from the company can come on here & tell us why... if they even bother to check out the biggest running forum in the country. Then again, now that I think about it... the last New Balance rep that visited me stunk of nicotine!

Frankly, personally I feel 95-98% of the New Balance range sucks & if they aren't going to at least bring out a shoe to this country which looks to have some sound characteristics then they can just shove it!

Rant over (sorry) - it's late at night & haven't long finished a session in Nike Frees which I was planning on replacing (the NB Minimus was top of the list).

#3 Prefontaine

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined: 13-December 04

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

Guys, i work for NB & yes, have been a member of this site for many years
Am responsible for supporting Runners Tribe, Team NB athletes & would advertise here if CR are interested
I can confirm Minimus will be in Australia in July - Running & Trail
Predominantly at specialist running & Athletes Foot
The reason AUS is late releasing is due to managing factory capacities - the USA being the biggest market gets 1st deliveries
Hope this helps

View PostBEN-HUR, on 13 February 2011 - 12:36 AM, said:

Thanks 'flyingemu' for looking into this & giving us the update. These shoes have been discussed on this forum in the past as I'm sure plenty here were keen to get a pair. Why?... well, at least I (& I'm sure plenty of other runners) thought it was a step in the right direction for running shoes. Hence the title of the thread I started last year associated to them... A Step In The Right Direction For Running Shoes - New Balance Minimus collection.  

I would really like to know why New Balance has made this decision. Maybe somebody from the company can come on here & tell us why... if they even bother to check out the biggest running forum in the country. Then again, now that I think about it... the last New Balance rep that visited me stunk of nicotine!

Frankly, personally I feel 95-98% of the New Balance range sucks & if they aren't going to at least bring out a shoe to this country which looks to have some sound characteristics then they can just shove it!

Rant over (sorry) - it's late at night & haven't long finished a session in Nike Frees which I was planning on replacing (the NB Minimus was top of the list).


#4 BEN-HUR

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Joined: 08-June 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:54 AM

View PostPrefontaine, on 13 February 2011 - 10:59 PM, said:

Guys, i work for NB & yes, have been a member of this site for many years
Am responsible for supporting Runners Tribe, Team NB athletes & would advertise here if CR are interested
I can confirm Minimus will be in Australia in July - Running & Trail
Predominantly at specialist running & Athletes Foot
The reason AUS is late releasing is due to managing factory capacities - the USA being the biggest market gets 1st deliveries
Hope this helps

Thanks 'Prefontaine' for confirmation on this issue. It would seem that there are some wires crossed within NB on this issue according to 'flyingemu's report (???). I can certainly understand that the US would get the 1st batch due to the much larger market share & subsequently more tuned in runners regarding minimalist footwear. Being that you work for NB I'll take your word for it & apologise for the tone of my previous post.

PS... with a username of Prefontaine one would think you would work for Nike.

Oh, when I stated that 95-98% of the shoe range suck... it's not just NB, but every other running shoe company on the market... with some up to 99-100% (a personal opinion from a biomech efficient runner who sees many issues with the standard structured running shoe).

Edited by BEN-HUR, 14 February 2011 - 09:09 AM.


#5 Prefontaine

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined: 13-December 04

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

View PostBEN-HUR, on 14 February 2011 - 08:54 AM, said:

Thanks 'Prefontaine' for confirmation on this issue. It would seem that there are some wires crossed within NB on this issue according to 'flyingemu's report (???). I can certainly understand that the US would get the 1st batch due to the much larger market share & subsequently more tuned in runners regarding minimalist footwear. Being that you work for NB I'll take your word for it & apologise for the tone of my previous post.

PS... with a username of Prefontaine one would think you would work for Nike.

Oh, when I stated that 95-98% of the shoe range suck... it's not just NB, but every other running shoe company on the market... with some up to 99-100% (a personal opinion from a biomech efficient runner who sees many issues with the standard structured running shoe).


No worries BH
Re: Prefontaine - i worked at NIKE for 8 years back in 1987..i ran at a USA college in the early '80's and Pre was my hero
The reason for "crossed wires at NB" is Minimus is initially being presented to shops that know how to sell & will support the concept
So, some our Customer Service folks would not be fully updated re: launch
Let me know if you want an NB tech rep to call on your store or see you
We would love your feedback to send on to Tom Carleo's running team in the U.S., the chance to update you on developments, etc

Cheers

#6 flyingemu

    it's Sir emu to you...

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Joined: 28-November 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

View PostPrefontaine, on 13 February 2011 - 10:59 PM, said:

Guys, i work for NB & yes, have been a member of this site for many years
Am responsible for supporting Runners Tribe, Team NB athletes & would advertise here if CR are interested
I can confirm Minimus will be in Australia in July - Running & Trail
Predominantly at specialist running & Athletes Foot
The reason AUS is late releasing is due to managing factory capacities - the USA being the biggest market gets 1st deliveries
Hope this helps

Cool, thanks Prefontaine :)
Shame they won't be out before North Face, but still in time for Glasshouse 100's
Any word on likely $RRP?
Oh, and will the 101's be coming to Aus too?

fyi, my email was from....
Jonathan C.
Customer Care
Shop New Balance AU

#7 Prefontaine

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined: 13-December 04

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

View Postflyingemu, on 14 February 2011 - 11:10 AM, said:

Cool, thanks Prefontaine :)
Shame they won't be out before North Face, but still in time for Glasshouse 100's
Any word on likely $RRP?
Oh, and will the 101's be coming to Aus too?

fyi, my email was from....
Jonathan C.
Customer Care
Shop New Balance AU


RRP will be $180
Styles coming are as follows
MR10BR MEN MINIMUS BK/RD Running
MT10GY MEN MINIMUS BK/YL Trail
WR10GY WMN MINIMUS WT/OG Running
WT10BL WMN MINIMUS BK/BL Trail

#8 Swara

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Joined: 10-February 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

I do know that Northside Runners plan to stock them. Such a shame that the RRP will be almost double here as in the US. I will order from there even with shipping it will be much cheaper.

Hope that I can get a pair of roads here before the GOR marathon.

#9 Brick

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined: 13-November 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Pennant Hills, NSW

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

View PostPrefontaine, on 14 February 2011 - 11:54 AM, said:

RRP will be $180
Styles coming are as follows
MR10BR MEN MINIMUS BK/RD Running
MT10GY MEN MINIMUS BK/YL Trail
WR10GY WMN MINIMUS WT/OG Running
WT10BL WMN MINIMUS BK/BL Trail
Prefontaine
Will you have trial pairs of the minimus available?
I tried the Merrell Trail Gloves on trial unfortunatley they are too narrow for me so would love to trial a pair of the minimus.

At present I run in NB758 2EE and MT101 which only just fit width wise.
So this makes me worried about initially buying a narrow fitting shoe.



#10 BEN-HUR

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Joined: 08-June 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:34 AM

View PostBrick, on 03 March 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

... So this makes me worried about initially buying a narrow fitting shoe.

From what I can see the NB Minimus range could have decent forefoot width to accommodate the extra expansion of the Metatarsal heads/ball of foot region due to the nature of the style of running they are intended to promote i.e. midfoot striking. Hence you could be in the clear...

This video does touch on this issue...



#11 Brick

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined: 13-November 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Pennant Hills, NSW

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:47 AM

View PostBEN-HUR, on 03 March 2011 - 11:34 AM, said:

From what I can see the NB Minimus range could have decent forefoot width to accommodate the extra expansion of the Metatarsal heads/ball of foot region due to the nature of the style of running they are intended to promote i.e. midfoot striking. Hence you could be in the clear...

This video does touch on this issue...


BEN-HUR

Thanks for the video my issue is the Merrell are also said to have a wide toe box but ny feet dont fit them correctly a little ways back from the toe box.



#12 Spud

    trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts
  • Joined: 25-March 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

Ditto Ben- I've read a few reviews now on the NB Minimus Trail and from all accounts there is plenty of forefoot width in the standard D fitting. Looking forward to trying a pair out soon.

#13 Brick

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined: 13-November 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Pennant Hills, NSW

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:04 PM

Also the life is very different to the Trail.
No laces.
No band across the top of the foot.

Saying that the life could be perfect for sprint triathlons.
Even though they are designed as an everyday shoe.

Edited by Brick, 03 March 2011 - 01:05 PM.


#14 CCor

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Joined: 05-January 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Holt, Canberra

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

The NB Minimus' are now for  sale :yahoo:

#15 dav0o2

    Newbie

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined: 11-June 10

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

View Postccor4981, on 08 March 2011 - 03:15 PM, said:

The NB Minimus' are now for  sale :yahoo:


Where from 'ccor4981' ??? I can't find a website to buy them from anywhere...

Cheers,

Dave

#16 flyingemu

    it's Sir emu to you...

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Joined: 28-November 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

I got mine today  :yahoo:
Haven't run in them yet, but they fit and feel AWESOME!
My first post-6ft run is definitely going to be in these.

#17 Running Angel

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  • Joined: 20-October 06
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:West End, QLD

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

View Postflyingemu, on 10 March 2011 - 06:28 PM, said:

I got mine today  :yahoo:
Haven't run in them yet, but they fit and feel AWESOME!
My first post-6ft run is definitely going to be in these.

Yep,a little recovery run on Sun morning I'm thinking. Love mine too :)

:Angel:

#18 Long Arms

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Joined: 08-June 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

For trail running I use New Balance T10 Minimus and for road running New Balance R10 Minimus. For their purposes they are the best shoe I have ever run in. Absolutely brilliant. Next mission is to get my hands on the New Balance W10 "life" shoes- they look even better (if that is possible!)

#19 adr1an

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Joined: 08-October 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Northern Beaches NSW

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

Am I correct in assuming that those that have them already ordered from the states?

Also, looking forward to hearing what you think of them compared to the nike free's.

cheers,

Edited by adr1an, 11 March 2011 - 06:32 PM.


#20 MarkC77

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined: 26-May 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

I've just ordered a pair of Brooks gts 11 but these minmus shoes have got my Interest

#21 Long Arms

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Joined: 08-June 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

View Postadr1an, on 11 March 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

Am I correct in assuming that those that have them already ordered from the states?

Also, looking forward to hearing what you think of them compared to the nike free's.

cheers,
I have been testing them out for NB Australia. I think can order them online from the states. They should be on the shelves in Australian shops in June or July

#22 bryanps

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined: 03-March 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:48 PM

Quote

I got mine today  
Haven't run in them yet, but they fit and feel AWESOME!
My first post-6ft run is definitely going to be in these.

Wow, where did you get it from? I thought it won't be sold here in Oz.

#23 Swara

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Joined: 10-February 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:33 AM

Online stores in the US will often ship them to Australia if you contact them direct via email.

I have taken my Roads out for a first run, unintentionally it ended up 18km and I love them. More padding for the road than my inov8 f-230, but still an light shoe and the toe box width is nice, I generally wear injinji liner socks. The upper to lower seam next to my big toe is a bit prononced and rubbed a bit from 9km on. This may just be due to taking new shoes out for a long run.

I went 1/2US size in these but probably could have gone a full size for some extra toe room, but this may be just for my foot.

#24 flyingemu

    it's Sir emu to you...

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Joined: 28-November 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

View Postbryanps, on 13 March 2011 - 11:48 PM, said:

Wow, where did you get it from? I thought it won't be sold here in Oz.
In stores in oz later in the year apparently.

I called the U.S. NB store on  +1 800-595-9138 and spoke to someone personally. They can despatch internationally, just not through the web site. I was given this info in an email from NB directly and the shoes are despatched directly from a NB store/warehouse, so it's all legit.

And the shoes are awesome by the way :)

#25 Spud

    trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts
  • Joined: 25-March 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

I am loving my Minimus Trail. They are by far the best trail shoe I have worn, a nice transition to minimilist shoes.
True to size in the trail version. Mine have been on a few runs now and perform well on most trail surfaces.
The Vibram outer is not aggressive at all but looks can be deceiving with plenty of good traction on everything bar slick wet granite or pronounced wet root.
I haven't really noticed the 4mm drop as my previous NB racing flats were my shoe of choice for most of my training and I regularly run once a week barefoot.
That said you should 'ease' yourself into these if you are transitioning from a regular 'brick' type shoe.
They weigh around 200gr each and have the comfiest inner with no apparent seam stitching. I wore them straight out of the box sockless on a 14km trail run, no worries.
No rock plate so you do feel the trail (which I like) but I wouldn't be wearing these on gnarly rocky trails where more cushioning might be preferred.The toe box is awesome with plenty of room in the D fitting for your toes to spread. They will be releasing a 2E fitting later in the year I believe. Sizing goes up to US14, so you miss out again MrG.
They feel good and they look good. :)

I got mine through Hampster and his online contacts but you can order via email with most online stores.
I will be ordering their road and lifestyle models too. Impressed. :good:

Edited by Spud, 21 March 2011 - 12:57 PM.


#26 Running Angel

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  • Joined: 20-October 06
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:West End, QLD

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

View Postadr1an, on 11 March 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

Am I correct in assuming that those that have them already ordered from the states?

Also, looking forward to hearing what you think of them compared to the nike free's.

cheers,

I run road in Nike Free's and I would say they are totally different. More comparable to the Vibram five fingers

View PostLong Arms, on 11 March 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

For trail running I use New Balance T10 Minimus and for road running New Balance R10 Minimus. For their purposes they are the best shoe I have ever run in. Absolutely brilliant. Next mission is to get my hands on the New Balance W10 "life" shoes- they look even better (if that is possible!)

Good to hear that the road version are just as good Long Arms. I've been running in frees for the last 8 months or so for all my road runs/races so may well have to get a pair of road ones once I've got used to the trail version

:Angel:

View PostLong Arms, on 11 March 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

For trail running I use New Balance T10 Minimus and for road running New Balance R10 Minimus. For their purposes they are the best shoe I have ever run in. Absolutely brilliant. Next mission is to get my hands on the New Balance W10 "life" shoes- they look even better (if that is possible!)

Are those the casual ones? They look really cool. NB are certainly bringing out some great shoes lately. My NB101 trails are great too, around the same weight as the minimus but with a rock plate and less drop

:Angel:

#27 adr1an

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Joined: 08-October 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Northern Beaches NSW

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

I'm a bit wary of ordering without trying on because of a bad experience in the past. I'm also tossing up trying out the Merrell Trail Glove which gets a glowing review over on Runblogger. He had some trouble with the width of the Minimus Trail I think and performed some surgery on it.

#28 Long Arms

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Joined: 08-June 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

View PostHampster, on 21 March 2011 - 09:33 AM, said:

Online stores in the US will often ship them to Australia if you contact them direct via email.

I have taken my Roads out for a first run, unintentionally it ended up 18km and I love them. More padding for the road than my inov8 f-230, but still an light shoe and the toe box width is nice, I generally wear injinji liner socks. The upper to lower seam next to my big toe is a bit prononced and rubbed a bit from 9km on. This may just be due to taking new shoes out for a long run.

I went 1/2US size in these but probably could have gone a full size for some extra toe room, but this may be just for my foot.
any idea if the Life10 New Balance shoe is lighter than the minimus trail shoe (T10 Minimus)? They don't have the life10 shoe in Australia yet but I may order a pair to try if they are substantially lighter than the T10 Minimus

#29 Spud

    trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts
  • Joined: 25-March 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:09 AM

Sean,

The Life 10is lighter, about an ounce lighter. 6oz compared to 7oz for the trail.

#30 Long Arms

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Joined: 08-June 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:19 AM

i will have to try a pair spud

#31 stampy

    Newbie

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined: 07-April 11
  • Sex:Male

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

The Aussie RRP is disappointing. It's double the US price when the AUD is trading higher than the greenback. The US price probably reflects the lower manufacturing costs. In Australia it's at a premium price, marketing it as a fashion shoe?

#32 400mSprintersAreSexiest

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined: 01-August 05
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Mackay, Qld

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

NB in the US have sold out of all their stocks in both mens and womens.  I had a crack on the 1800 number and tried to get a mens trail and road.  Sold out.  Tried to get the women's (I figure there is no difference) but was given the same advice.

The fellow I spoke to said according to his computer we may not be getting them until October!!  

He suggested that more will come in over the next month.

Hate to say it but if we aren't getting them by June I will have to try Ebay or Eastbay.

#33 capslock

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined: 21-January 10

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

Interested in getting a pair of these myself. Currently I'm running in  pair of terraplana aquas which are good but not ideal for running.  I'd like a small amount of cushioning especially for longer runs.

Weird to read that the road version has slight arch support, which looses my interest - the trails look very good.  Can anyone comment on how the trails perform on bitumen roads/concrete footpaths?  

I've used trail/cross-country shoes on bitumen/concrete in the past and they seem to hit the ground a little hard given their material construction is a bit more robust than shoes specifically designed for the road.  Overall I prefer a softer transition - just like running barefoot of course.          

Cheers

#34 Spud

    trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts
  • Joined: 25-March 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

capslock,

The miniumus are fine on road, firmer with less cushioning than the 'road' minimus but the ride is still quite smooth.
The thread on the trail is not aggressive at all and barely noticeable on road. Certainly don't heel strike in these on road.

Cheers

#35 Long Arms

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Joined: 08-June 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

View Postcapslock, on 07 May 2011 - 12:39 PM, said:

Interested in getting a pair of these myself. Currently I'm running in  pair of terraplana aquas which are good but not ideal for running.  I'd like a small amount of cushioning especially for longer runs.

Weird to read that the road version has slight arch support, which looses my interest - the trails look very good.  Can anyone comment on how the trails perform on bitumen roads/concrete footpaths?  

I've used trail/cross-country shoes on bitumen/concrete in the past and they seem to hit the ground a little hard given their material construction is a bit more robust than shoes specifically designed for the road.  Overall I prefer a softer transition - just like running barefoot of course.          

Cheers
I just wore the trails in a 10km road race then a 5km road race in Canada and they performed brilliantly. All NB need to do now is cut a few mm off the heel midsole and make a slightly thinner lighter outersole and they will have the perfect shoe

#36 Whippet Man

    trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts
  • Joined: 18-March 05
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Geelong

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

Curious if anyone has compared the NB to the Merrell Trail Gloves? On or off the bitumen.
They get a good rap for use on bitumen.

#37 RIC330

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Joined: 22-February 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Perth

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

View PostWhippet Man, on 07 May 2011 - 11:18 PM, said:

Curious if anyone has compared the NB to the Merrell Trail Gloves? On or off the bitumen.
They get a good rap for use on bitumen.

I have both the NB Minimus Trail and the Merrell Trail Gloves. I am currently running more in the NB as I get used to the zero drop of the Merrell.

Both are superb shoes but I prefer the NB on the road. That said the more I run in the Merrells the better they get. Both perform brilliantly off road.

The NB are the best shoes I have ever run in but I have my doubts about their durability (After only 150kms some seams are coming apart and there is very noticeable wear on the sole). On the other hand the Merrells look like they could last forever.

You won't go wrong with either shoe.

#38 Arnoruns

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined: 23-March 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:brisbane

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

Don't know if everyone is already aware but the minimus range is now for sale on the australian new balance website. i haven't seen the minimus in any other new balance outlets yet, does anyone know if athletes foot/footlocker plan on stocking this range? its a bit of a mission to go to the new balance store specifically for this model!

#39 Long Arms

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Joined: 08-June 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

I have run over 1000km in my pair of Minimus and they are still as good as new. I look forward to racing in them in the W2G this weekend

#40 MarkC77

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined: 26-May 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:15 PM

For Melbourne residents, I saw both the Minimus trail and road shoe in the New Balance store at Chadstone Shopping Centre on the weekend.

#41 BennyStL

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined: 21-March 07

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

View PostArnoruns, on 20 June 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Don't know if everyone is already aware but the minimus range is now for sale on the australian new balance website. i haven't seen the minimus in any other new balance outlets yet, does anyone know if athletes foot/footlocker plan on stocking this range? its a bit of a mission to go to the new balance store specifically for this model!

They should be available in most Athletes Foot Stores in the next couple of weeks. I've been incorporating a pair of the 'Minimus Road' into my training for a number of months now and love them. I should point out that I'm sponsored by New Balance, but am making this recommendation of my own free will :-)

#42 flyingemu

    it's Sir emu to you...

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Joined: 28-November 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

I see they are available on the NB australia web site now, but not in size 14!
Note to NB.... wtf?!  Are my feet too big for your business? Size discrimiation!!!

PS...   I ran Macleay mara in my TRAIL Miniumus and they were great, so now I want a road pair too.

#43 Spud

    trailrunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts
  • Joined: 25-March 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

View Postflyingemu, on 21 June 2011 - 02:10 PM, said:

I see they are available on the NB australia web site now, but not in size 14!
Note to NB.... wtf?!  Are my feet too big for your business? Size discrimiation!!!

PS...   I ran Macleay mara in my TRAIL Miniumus and they were great, so now I want a road pair too.

You can order a pair online, drop me a PM and I will tell you where.
I picked up a pair whilst in the US, and have run a dozen times or so in them.
Love 'em so far, was actually surprised at the difference to the trail version, the 'road' is way more shoe.

#44 halfwaydown

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined: 28-April 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

View Postflyingemu, on 21 June 2011 - 02:10 PM, said:

I see they are available on the NB australia web site now, but not in size 14!
Note to NB.... wtf?!  Are my feet too big for your business? Size discrimiation!!!
:Clown: Guess you'll just have to wait for NB to bring out the Trail Maximus   :LMAO:

#45 CantPaceIt

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Joined: 14-April 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Does anyone know if any shops in Sydney stock the NB minimus road?
I'd like to try them on before buying them and anyway the Aussie New balance site doesn't have my size.

CPI

#46 Zed

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Joined: 13-July 06
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Coogee

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

View PostCantPaceIt, on 04 November 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

Does anyone know if any shops in Sydney stock the NB minimus road?
I'd like to try them on before buying them and anyway the Aussie New balance site doesn't have my size.

CPI

I saw them at Rebel Sport Bondi Junction last week, also at Adventure Mega Store, Kent Street, about a month ago. But, not cheap.

#47 CantPaceIt

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Joined: 14-April 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

View PostZed, on 04 November 2011 - 02:07 PM, said:

I saw them at Rebel Sport Bondi Junction last week, also at Adventure Mega Store, Kent Street, about a month ago. But, not cheap.

Thanks Zed, I'll check out Kent St and if Rebel Bondi has them then maybe the performance store in the CBD might too.

#48 shark

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Joined: 25-September 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

It seems to be a trend.  ASICS just released their "Blur33".  It seems a similar shoe to the Nike Free.  Tried them on yesterday - felt really good.  Standard D width but felt like a generous toe box given minimal stitching.  They are marketed as being "light" cushion training shoes.  I think they will go as well as the Minimus and Free.  Not available at too many places yet - may well sell out initially from what I hear.

S

#49 JiveTurkey

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined: 24-May 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

I'm thinking about getting on the band wagon for the Road Minimus a tad late but just have one question. These shoes are designed as a general purpose training shoe right? I understand there's a transition phase since I'm coming from "brick" shoes but once I'm adjusted they'd be suitable for all my road runs?

Thanks

#50 FlyerUltra

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Joined: 23-April 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Canberra

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

Can anyone here comment on how true to size the fittings are for the Minimus road and trail shoes? I normally run a size UK10/US11 for Saucony Fasttwitch and other racing flats. That leaves a little space for expansion in an ultra (maybe 0.5 size).