Long Runs And HungerIs it normal to feel so hungry after a long run?

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Davekyn

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Is it normal to feel so hungry after a long run?

After my long run today I felt really wiped out. This is my first marathon training program and I'm about to hit my 8th week out of 16. Admittedly I could of taken some water and run slower, which I am sure contributed to me feeling so exhausted for the rest of the day. My concern at the moment is how hungry I have become during the rest of that day. I have been eating healthy foods, but man........I've been eating so much as well as hydrating.

I'm hoping after getting in some quality sleep that I will bounce back and take things easy this week, BUT:

Is it normal for some people to feel so hungry,  during the rest of the day after a long run?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Peterhorse

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

Yes mate, totally normal.

You crave what you lost basically.

So for me, all day i feel like simple carbs and salty fatty stuff. Alas, I am weak and succumb. So a Baker's Delight Caramel Scroll may get consumed with a coffee after a long run... or . If i'm good, i'll hook into grapes, watermelon, nice cold oranges etc. Red Rock Deli chips are my pleasure if i'm weak... some soft boiled eggs on toast with a sprinlging of salt if i'm good

Be good or bad depending on how healthy you like to be, either way it's normal to crave :-)

#3 Cl@rkey

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

If I'm in a routine of regularly running at least one run of 30km+ a week, I find I'm always hungry.
Yes, the period after the long run is usually the worst, but a general desire to eat constantly hovers under the surface.

Having never been particularly particular about my diet, happy to be generally aligned to a 'everything in moderation' approach. I do find that when I'm training well (for me at least) I am less attracted to the 'sometimes foods' as they don't seem to fill the gap quite as effectively.

#4 mgi11a

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

This is the best part of being an endurance athlete Dave, you can eat what the hell you please.
I did a 4hr ride this morning, burnt 4500+ cals then spent the rest of the day doing my best to put every one of them back in.

Cheers

mgilla

#5 rohan

rassum brassum msblsssl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

View Postmgi11a, on 13 March 2011 - 08:54 PM, said:

This is the best part of being an endurance athlete Dave, you can eat what the hell you please.
From what is in another thread, he's only talking a 20km 'long' run... which is not really long enough to justify an eat-what-you-please-philosphy.

I know I can out eat calories burned in weeks where I run over 100km.  Sure some people can't, but remember many can.

#6 Davekyn

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

Thanks guys...I am feeling much better this morning. I understand what mgi11a is saying "rohan" and FULL credit to the guy burning that many calories! I can tell that "my" long run was just as much a huge effort for me as anyone else's 100km. I may not of burnt as many calories, but it seems clear that my hunger was a normal response, which is what I am pleased to hear.

I am aware of the eat less than you burn factor, or the more healthier option when optimal health reached "replace what you loose".

I went for my smaller run this morning...kept things nice and easy, just had breaky and am feeling a lot better. I was worried, but I think I can do this! I am very relieved actually as I have put in so much effort to get here. Other than maybe trying to calculate calories burned, I don't think there is any comparisons after that.

All the same you are right rohan...my age is another factor and I also don't have a gall bladder to help break food down, then there are a few other factors that slow my metabolic rate and what not. It's amazing how many people who have their gall bladders removed, that think it's a license to eat whatever you want, just as those who exercise.  Thanks for the perspective ;)

#7 Gordo31

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

You certainly will be eating a lot more. My wife complains that I've added $100 to the fortnightly shopping bill. :smile:

I find after my long runs that I have a small 30min window to consume some food, but then I don't feel like eating for a few hours. But I don't crave food after these runs, I'm just generally always hungry.

But it really depends on where you get these calories from. Don't go smashing 'high calorie dense' foods like processed foods and fast foods. You'll just be able to eat a lot more healthy foods - meats, nuts, fruits, etc...

So well done Dave, I've said it in your other thread too, but you're doing an amazing job. Just keep going!

#8 Davekyn

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

Thanks Gordo...just wanted to make acknowledgment of your kind words, regardless of being accused of back slapping...LOL...and of course emphasize just how important it is...to me...that my food be only that of the wholesome variety! I am considered quite radical in my ways when it comes to my "preferred" foods. It amazing just how damaging the wrong food types can be.