34 replies to this topic

#1 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it to this race this year and I had never heard of it until a week ago but since finding out about it, I am a bit fascinated and I would really like to give it a go one day.

I would love to hear what people do to prepare for such a race and also hear more about how they get there and what they do regarding accomodation/transport etc.

It's only 3 months away so surely there is someone planning for it?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Perseus

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

View PostGrechy, on 24 March 2011 - 08:41 PM, said:

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it to this race this year and I had never heard of it until a week ago but since finding out about it, I am a bit fascinated and I would really like to give it a go one day.

I would love to hear what people do to prepare for such a race and also hear more about how they get there and what they do regarding accomodation/transport etc.

Never heard of it? It's been held continuously since 1982. I think Crowpower set the race record so he's probably best informed on race preparation.

#3 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

That's technically correct Perseus although I consider Steve Guy's 2:40:10 in the inaugural event the best ever performance considering the strong head winds along the entire course. I was three minutes behind Steve that day. By the time I got my hands on the record in 1987 the wind had died down a bit.

The original event organisers, Port Augusta YMCA Running Club did a marvellous job in keeping the event going. It looked like it was going to finish in 2006 but then some new people Nic and Jodie (of Pichi Richi Park, I think) took it over much to everyone's delight.

Grechy, if you can get yourself to Adelaide for the 2012 event I'll gladly take you up to Port Augusta. Pity you can't make it this year as they have having a "30th" celebration. I'll probably do the half there this year.

I don't think any special training beyond normal marathon preparation is needed, apart from some "hill work" which I'm sure all serious aspiring sub 3 hour runners do anyway. Expect to do the event about 10 minutes slower than a normal marathon.

#4 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

Perseus - Being an arrogant Victorian, I didn't realise that marathons existed outside of Melbourne until recently!

Crowpower - Not sure what I will be doing but I may drive from Melbourne straight to Port Augusta if that looks like the quickest route. Still a very long way off and many things can go wrong between now and then but will be great to meet you and perhaps race against you! Just 10 minutes slower than a flat marathon? Hmmm I would have thought I would be about 20 minutes slower but we will see what happens.

Looks like an awesome race. I will be glued to this thread over the next few months.

#5 lock73

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

This run is on my calendar and it will be my first actual marathon and first trip to Pt Augusta for this event.

Does anyone know what arrangements are in place to get runners back to Pt Augusta from Quorn at the end of the run?  Also, do they run a gear vehicle to take some warm clothes etc to the finish?

Cheers

#6 ramone

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

Hi Lock, Yeah, you throw your bag in the starters ute and he takes it to the finish. The SARRC have a bus, but you can usually hitch a ride back with someone. It seems to work ok.
This marathon is tough as it goes uphill most of the way. You are totally exposed to the wind and weather too.
However, the satisfaction you get on finishing is far greater than most road marathons. You really know you have done something pretty big. I will be there!
ramone

#7 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

View PostGrechy, on 26 March 2011 - 12:14 AM, said:

Crowpower - Not sure what I will be doing but I may drive from Melbourne straight to Port Augusta if that looks like the quickest route. Still a very long way off and many things can go wrong between now and then but will be great to meet you and perhaps race against you! Just 10 minutes slower than a flat marathon? Hmmm I would have thought I would be about 20 minutes slower but we will see what happens.
The quickest route would be either through Adelaide or I suppose you could go via the Riverland. Those back roads are probably sealed these days. Race against me? I'm about two hours slower now. :LOL:

Most of the past results for Pichi Richi have now been found. There are only five years missing - 1984-86 and 1996-97.

#8 lock73

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:37 PM

View Postramone, on 07 April 2011 - 08:21 PM, said:

Hi Lock, Yeah, you throw your bag in the starters ute and he takes it to the finish. The SARRC have a bus, but you can usually hitch a ride back with someone. It seems to work ok.
This marathon is tough as it goes uphill most of the way. You are totally exposed to the wind and weather too.
However, the satisfaction you get on finishing is far greater than most road marathons. You really know you have done something pretty big. I will be there!
ramone

Thanks Ramone.  No plans for a fast time on this one, I'm sort of using it as a final long run before the 6hr (or 24 in your case).  Looking forward to catching up with you to see how you went in NZ and I'm guessing you'll also have done the Southern Charity Challenge by then also.  Are you getting along to the Trail Championships at all?  I'm helping with drinks and taking photo's on the Greenhill Rd station and will probably drop by the finish once all is done up there.  Hope to see you soon.

Regards

LM

#9 ramone

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:44 AM

Hi Lock, I will be running in a team of seven in the SCC this sunday. A star studded team of Terry, Graham,Sonya,Doug,Tim,Jenny and myself making up the numbers. Should be great. I hope to get to the finish of the Trail champs myself. I will tell you all about NZ then.
ps That 24hr run is starting to play on my mind.
ramone

#10 Birip

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

I've added my name to the Dodgy Bros bus trip to Pich Richi.  Its good fun.
Training, nothing in particular, to busy doing other things such as ????

#11 lock73

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

My entry is now in, lots of running to do in the next 7 weeks.  Also, I have booked accommodation at the Standpipe Gulf Motor Inn at $90/night.  Looking forward to my first Marathon.  See you there.

#12 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

I will be an avid reader of all your stories as I am planning on doing this race in 2012.

#13 Gento

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

View PostGrechy, on 24 March 2011 - 08:41 PM, said:

I raced the half in 09 and the full in 10. Flew in from Sydney, stayed at a hotel (loyalty points saved on $$$)

Look up http://iwantthatflight.com.au/ for flight details.

Where are you planning on flying in from?

#14 Rayladman

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hi

I'm planning on doing the half this year for the first time and have been watching the SARRC site for details of the event and bus etc but as there is still nothing there I'm hoping you can give me some info....

Do I register directly on the Pichi Richi site or can I do it via SARRC? Also, I've heard about the bus that Ramone commented on and would like to consider that option for getting to the event and back. Can anyone provide some details on this - cost, bookings etc?

Appreciate your help and am looking forward to the event.

#15 Wida

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

Yes you need to register at this website. Pichi Richi is not run by SARRC.

Wida

Edited by Wida, 30 May 2011 - 09:39 PM.

#16 lock73

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

View PostWida, on 30 May 2011 - 09:37 PM, said:

Yes you need to register at this website. Pichi Richi is not run by SARRC.

Wida

and as far as I could tell, you need to print and mail your entry form.  The form states no faxed entries.

#17 THE LONE RUNNER

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

hi all. does anyone know if there is a bus to the start from quorn. staying in quorn saturday night for a change. i know there was talk of this at some stage. regds, the lone runner.

#18 Itsfunanywhereinthepack

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

I will be doing the HM.  Temperature for Sunday is 3 to 21, cold start  and warm finish.  Hope this does not mean that we have to contend with a Northerly wind.

Edited by Itsfunatthebackofthepack, 24 June 2011 - 01:14 PM.

#19 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

View PostGento, on 15 May 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

I raced the half in 09 and the full in 10. Flew in from Sydney, stayed at a hotel (loyalty points saved on $$$)

Look up http://iwantthatflight.com.au/ for flight details.

Where are you planning on flying in from?

Sorry for the late response. I would be flying from Melbourne but surely you cant actually fly to Port Augusta?

Good luck to all racing on the weekend. I hope to one day do this unique race.

#20 Arfadent

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

Yup, I second Grechy there, best wishes to everyone heading up to Portagutta to run the 30th Pichi Richi Marathon on Sunday.

Forecast looks like a warm sunny day with a max of 21 degress. Not too shabby for the middle of Winter?

Got myself pencilled in for next years race already, I can't keep on avoiding it forever.

Hope everyone has a great run.

Arfa

#21 Perseus

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

Good luck for Sunday. I'm also planning on the 2012 marathon

#22 ramone

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hi, I will be there on sunday for my fifth go with this run. It is one of the events that I have inked in to the calender each year. I can't seem to get on top of this one. Just when you think you are going ok, the course and the weather knock you down and all you can do is hang on to the end. Ah, but the finish...Never does a finish line look so good. As with all point to point marathons you feel that a journey has been completed.
Come say hi to me at the start. I'm a short guy wearing a blue R4YL cap. Good luck to anyone running any of the distances.
ramone

#23 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

So how did it go?

Any stories/results?

#24 ramone

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hi Grechy, you would have to call the 30th anniversary of this event a complete success. The field of 61 was a record, or near to it, the weather was sunny in high teens and virtually windless and there was some fast times run. Two guys ran under 3hrs (2.54 and 2.55) and the first woman ran about 3.14. When you come over to do this you will appreciate these as very fine efforts. Me? I'm always happy to finish in any time. This year it was 4hrs 24. Its ok!
See you when you come over.
ramone

#25 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

Fantastic weekend at Port Augusta/Quorn. Lots of old faces around - it was like a big reunion. Some of us supplied memorabilia - Steve Guy brought along his winner's trophy from 1982, others brought race results, including the elusive 1985 and 1986 results, thanks to Rod Martin. Only need 1984 now and Alan Cockshott thinks he might have it. I took along all my T shirts and certificates and a couple of trophies.

The pasta meal on Saturday night was great and well attended and earlier in the day the late entries were just pouring in at the Standpipe. I collected the wrong race number for the half marathon because someone else had entered with the same name as me but fortunately I spotted the mistake in time as he was in the walk division.

For the first time I was able to watch the race unfold, at least until halfway and the pack of three became two and they went through the half in 1:24 and ended up with 2:54 and 2:55 I think. Nicole Butterfield (half in 1:33) smashed the women's course record with 3:13. Most people went very well but unfortunately Steve Guy was one of the casualties of the hills but he still managed to finish in 3:52 odd, just ahead of me in the half which started two hours into the marathon. I caught up to Steve several times as he stopped and walked with a sore hip from the uphills but when he started running again his leg speed just carried him away.

It was a record entry in all events combined, over 500. Next year (June 24th) Rotary are taking it over in liaison with the SARRC I believe and it has been terrific to have Nick and Jodie from Pichi Richi Park organise the event since 2007 when it looked like it might fold.

So both Grechy and Perseus might do it in 2012! Hmmm, I think I'll also have to do the full marathon again. :Thinking:

#26 Itsfunanywhereinthepack

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

A great day for a run.

Past experience told me that the climb from the start of the HM at Saltia is not pleasant but I still attacked it far too hard.  I paid for it a little later when there were hills that I should have run up relatively easily that forced me back to a walk.

Officially I have been given a time of 2:30:44, a PB for the course by slightly under a minute.  The previous best was set in 2008 with a fierce Northerly wind blowing into my face so I still consider it the better run.

Thanks to all who offered encouragement, particularly Ramone and one of the 10.5 km runners who was really struggling but still had time to offer a word of encouragement as I went past her with about 5 km to go.

I really love this race, it is a battle and getting to the finish line regardless of your time is a great achievement.  My heart tells me to aim for the full marathon next year, my head tells me to be sensible and stick to the HM.

It is great to see that the race will be held again next year.  I hope the local Rotarians know what they have let themselves in for.

Edited by Itsfunatthebackofthepack, 28 June 2011 - 12:48 PM.

#27 Itsfunanywhereinthepack

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

Take a look at the course profile on the finish sign and the scenery.  Hopefully this shows the challenge and the delight of the event.

Attached Files

#28 Arfadent

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:49 PM

View PostItsfunatthebackofthepack, on 27 June 2011 - 10:34 PM, said:

Take a look at the course profile on the finish sign and the scenery.  Hopefully this shows the challenge and the delight of the event.
Hah I love it, they don't show you the elevation profile until you have crossed the finish line.
Smart idea, if I saw that profile beforehand, I would never enter the race either.
Arfa,

#29 lock73

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

View PostArfadent, on 27 June 2011 - 10:49 PM, said:

Hah I love it, they don't show you the elevation profile until you have crossed the finish line.
Smart idea, if I saw that profile beforehand, I would never enter the race either.
Arfa,
I've heard a rumour that you will be there next year, Arfa?

#30 Arfadent

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

View Postlock73, on 27 June 2011 - 11:02 PM, said:

I've heard a rumour that you will be there next year, Arfa?
LIES LIES LIES!!!
(ok maybe its true, but just a little bit)
Arfa,

#31 Itsfunanywhereinthepack

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

I took a look at the data from my HR monitor and found that the hills appear to have added 5 minutes per 5 km for the first 15 km but fom the 15 km mark I have gone faster than I normally go at the end of a HM.  Probably due to the downhill nature of the course and also explains why I was passing so many people in this section of the race.

#32 Ridgie

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

hey

ran the Half too it was my first half and was happy with the time i got for such a hilly course 1.35 was proud as punch with finishing second too :)

got the 30km hills to henley now cant wait

#33 DiscoStu

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

I just got my singlet in the mail today.  I really like the names of all the competitors on it, very original and unique!

Did anyone else notice that the winners of the marathon and half-marathon were omitted?

Maybe this will become a collectors item someday?

Attached Files

#34 lock73

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

View PostDiscoStu, on 30 July 2011 - 06:54 PM, said:

Did anyone else notice that the winners of the marathon and half-marathon were omitted?

Ooops, I wonder if anyone has told the organisers yet....  and my name appears twice!

#35 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

My name appears twice too, but that's because there were two of us there.

On a different note, the complete list of Pichi Richi Marathon finishers from 1982-2011 will be posted at the Adelaide Marathon Stats site by Wednesday. It has 1055 results from exactly 500 different finishers. If the 1984 results can be located that will add a few more. We have some from 1984.