Jump to content


Garmin Forerunner 610FR610 touchscreen GPS runners watch.


  • You cannot reply to this topic
328 replies to this topic

#201 Spongeblob

    Newbie

  • Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined: 06-October 11
  • Sex:Male

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

View PostRobGrinter, on 14 October 2011 - 07:17 PM, said:



Message is that like an iPhone, a Blackberry a Garmin or many other lcd screen devices, they are simply not unbreakable.

If you are wanting something that is rock solid, I would suggest perhaps a new product due out early to mid next year that may fit, but can say no more at this point. (Emphasis on may fit!)  

Keep in mind that every time something new comes out, a new reason why it isnt perfect is also born at the same time. This will result in you waiting forever !

I appreciate your feed back, and I'm certainly not trying to knock Garmin or their products. The feedback on your company and Garmin is very positive.  To draw on your analogy with the iphone it is a valid comparison, but I have a nokia which is dust proof, water proof and shock proof for precisely the reason that me (and my children) don't tend to mix well with expensive but sensitive gadgets. The problem is mine, not the manufacturers! If I had an iphone god knows how many screens I would have gone through by now.  The Garmin 610 may be a perfect product but I am not a perfect user!!!

The product you allude to in describing something which is rock solid sounds interesting.  My personal preference in gadgets would be to compromise on a few advanced features if the product was really solid.  I realise this doesn't suit everyone but I would happily pay a little more for the additional protection such devices may offer. Based on this hint I am more than happy to sit tight and wait.  From personal experience I can't think of one gadget I have bought over the last 15 years where I have used every feature it has. I can list several of these devices I have broken though ;)

#202 Thebes

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined: 19-September 07
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Seddon

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

View PostPonkey, on 14 October 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

Hi Theo,

I have been using the FR610 for the last 6 months and its a great watch and perfect for long runs. Unless you are going to shatter the course record at B2H then you may struggle to get the battery life for the whole race. I use my 610 for training runs up to 8 hours but after that, use a Suunto with footpod to measure the distance.

I did a little review  HERE aimed at the ultra runner. I will be posting a quick review of the new Suunto Quest later today as another option.

Enjoy

Definitely will not be shattering any records.  I will be choosing between the Garmin 610 and 910 but am not sure.  I read somewhere that the 910 has up to 20 hours battery life.

Thanks for your advice.

#203 DiscoStu

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Joined: 18-July 05
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, VIC

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

When I was running today my 610 fell off my wrist onto the ground.  I thought the wrist band had snapped, but on closer inspection it did not seem broken and I was able to reinsert the band using the pin, bizarre!

The screen also has a small crack at the top.

My other issue is whenever I try and update the firmware it does not seem to work, whatever I try.  This was a relatively simple process with my old 405, as I recall.

I actually think the old 405 was a better watch, even though mine died after only 18 months, it was much easier to use.  The 605 seems to be a step backward.  Example: when I wanted to see the charge left on my 405 it was one press on the bezel.  Now I have unlock the damn thing and navigate through several menus, in all 5 separate button presses!  And after all that it only gives me an approximate reading, the old 405 gave me the exact percentage of charge with only 1 press.

I would seriously reconsider purchasing another Garmin product. :angry2:

#204 Kaiser

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Joined: 17-May 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:10 AM

I'm wondering if anyone knows how Garmin calculates a person's Max HR (or if a thread exists already, point me to that direction)Posted Image
After sending the results to Garmin connect, I see that my max HR is 196 BPM, which is 106% of Max. I don't remember manually entering my max HR into the 610, so I'm guessing Garmin uses an age based formula?

As a side note, 196 does seem a bit on the high side doesn't it? I've not done a cardiac stress test before so I don't know my exact Max HR but based on (a common but somewhat inaccurate) formula like Max HR = 220 - Age, I should get a Max HR of 197 BPM.

Attached Files



#205 TCMB

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Joined: 15-August 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Wamberal

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

View PostKaiser, on 23 October 2011 - 01:10 AM, said:

I'm wondering if anyone knows how Garmin calculates a person's Max HR (or if a thread exists already, point me to that direction)Posted Image
After sending the results to Garmin connect, I see that my max HR is 196 BPM, which is 106% of Max. I don't remember manually entering my max HR into the 610, so I'm guessing Garmin uses an age based formula?

As a side note, 196 does seem a bit on the high side doesn't it? I've not done a cardiac stress test before so I don't know my exact Max HR but based on (a common but somewhat inaccurate) formula like Max HR = 220 - Age, I should get a Max HR of 197 BPM.

Ignore the formula. Don't know if Garmin connect uses a formula or default value for all.
You should enter your own Resting HR and Max HR into Garmin Connect.
Go to Settings --> Training Zones

Easy to measure decent figures using your Garmin:
Resting HR:  Measure a few mornings before you get out of bed.
Max HR: After a good warmup, run hard for a few minutes up a long steep hill

196BPM sounds perfectly normal for max HR.

#206 RobGrinter

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Joined: 30-November 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:579 Hampton St, Hampton, VIC

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

View PostTheyCallMeBruce, on 23 October 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

196BPM sounds perfectly normal for max HR.
There is about 20 known formulas for working out max heart rate, each and every one of them adds a caveat that it is an estimate as will vary based on each individual. Garmin use a method devised by a 3rd party that is described in each and evry Garmin product manual.

The well known method of 220 minus your age has been considered the best fit that encompasses all formulas, yet still is only an estimate.

So if you are 24 yo, then max hrm is 196bpm.

However, if you were robbing a bank and running down the street with the full force of the law pointing pistols at you telling you 'halt or I will shhoot', then it is estimated that you can reach about 20 beats above your maximum.

Hence, for the same 24yo, 216 may be possible under an enourmous life threatining test !

My experiences of all people with hrms's suggests that if you can get to 105% then you are doing well, much above this is nowhere near as common, plus it cannot be sustained for long.

Keep in mind that it is possible to have a heart condition that will give a heart rate well above this. About a year ago we had a customer thinking they had a faulty product. To cut a long story short it turned out they had a heart condition that resulted in 240 bpm for a 40 year old playing tennis. Same customer was 160bpm+ just walking. Customers self diagnosed status was "never felt better". Doctors diagnosis was heart condition so severe that it was known in the medical world as a "Widow Maker".  Luckily it was seen too early and fixed just as easily with medication and without surgery.

(Please remember: you should always seek medical advice)

#207 Gone2thepack

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Joined: 04-May 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Australind

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

View PostRobGrinter, on 23 October 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

There is about 20 known formulas for working out max heart rate, each and every one of them adds a caveat that it is an estimate as will vary based on each individual. Garmin use a method devised by a 3rd party that is described in each and evry Garmin product manual.

The well known method of 220 minus your age has been considered the best fit that encompasses all formulas, yet still is only an estimate.

So if you are 24 yo, then max hrm is 196bpm.

However, if you were robbing a bank and running down the street with the full force of the law pointing pistols at you telling you 'halt or I will shhoot', then it is estimated that you can reach about 20 beats above your maximum.

Hence, for the same 24yo, 216 may be possible under an enourmous life threatining test !

My experiences of all people with hrms's suggests that if you can get to 105% then you are doing well, much above this is nowhere near as common, plus it cannot be sustained for long.

Keep in mind that it is possible to have a heart condition that will give a heart rate well above this. About a year ago we had a customer thinking they had a faulty product. To cut a long story short it turned out they had a heart condition that resulted in 240 bpm for a 40 year old playing tennis. Same customer was 160bpm+ just walking. Customers self diagnosed status was "never felt better". Doctors diagnosis was heart condition so severe that it was known in the medical world as a "Widow Maker".  Luckily it was seen too early and fixed just as easily with medication and without surgery.

(Please remember: you should always seek medical advice)
Soooooo i could tell my wife that some new gear may save my life Rob?   :dance:

#208 RobGrinter

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Joined: 30-November 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:579 Hampton St, Hampton, VIC

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

View PostGone2thepack, on 23 October 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

Soooooo i could tell my wife that some new gear may save my life Rob?   :dance:



Without a shadow of a doubt, one could say that !   (and it is a true story in that the customers choice to buy a hrm contributed to saving his life)

However; HTA does not provide marital advice    :)

#209 Kaiser

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Joined: 17-May 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostRobGrinter, on 23 October 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

There is about 20 known formulas for working out max heart rate, each and every one of them adds a caveat that it is an estimate as will vary based on each individual. Garmin use a method devised by a 3rd party that is described in each and evry Garmin product manual.
Thanks for the replies guys, proof that technology saves livesPosted Image


Hi Rob, perhaps Garmin left out the calculation of max heart rate of the 610 manual. I'm flipping through it now and I don't notice anything about heart rate formulas, only a small paragraph on page 20. 'If you do not know your maximum heart rate, use one of the calculators available on the Internet. Some gyms and health centers can provide a test that measures maximum heart rate.'
What made me confused was I manually entered a Max HR of 197, and during a run got to 196. Garminconnect shows '106% of max'. Seems like they got the maths wrong doesn't it.
Doesn't really matter I guess, anyway google brought up some interesting articles http://faculty.css.e...ep/Robergs2.pdf

Also, I noticed that there 'might' be a way to get back deleted training data. Useful if you accidentally deleted a run from your watch and garmin connect.
If you go to runkeeper and pair the garmin to sync with it, a list of the past runs done will come up, even if they do not show on the 'activities' tab on the 610. Now you can choose the various runs to import into runkeeper.
I've tried this several times (with mixed results) by purposely deleting runs I've done on both the 610 and on garmin connect, then pairing the 610 with runkeeper. I've sometimes successfully imported runs which have been deleted and other times have an error message on runkeeper pop up 'Oops, the file you uploaded could not be imported.'
Just thought I'd share what 'might' be useful for some people who use both a garmin forerunner and runkeeper.

#210 RobGrinter

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Joined: 30-November 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:579 Hampton St, Hampton, VIC

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

The information I was referring to is Page 34 about First beat technologies. We believe all of Garmins heart rate based algorithms are derived from this company.

Not sure why you get 106% for a 197 beat.

#211 TCMB

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Joined: 15-August 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Wamberal

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

View PostKaiser, on 23 October 2011 - 02:58 PM, said:

I manually entered a Max HR of 197
Is this manually entered into the watch?

View PostKaiser, on 23 October 2011 - 02:58 PM, said:

Garminconnect shows '106% of max'. Seems like they got the maths wrong doesn't it.

Have you checked what your Max HR is set to in your Garmin Connect settings (Default and Running)? My guess is they're different to your watch - set lower, and giving you the 106% of max reading.

#212 Kaiser

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Joined: 17-May 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

View PostRobGrinter, on 23 October 2011 - 04:58 PM, said:

The information I was referring to is Page 34 about First beat technologies. We believe all of Garmins heart rate based algorithms are derived from this company.


Hey Rob thanks for the clarification.

View PostTheyCallMeBruce, on 23 October 2011 - 05:19 PM, said:

Is this manually entered into the watch?
Have you checked what your Max HR is set to in your Garmin Connect settings (Default and Running)? My guess is they're different to your watch - set lower, and giving you the 106% of max reading.

Bruce, you're right!!! Yes, I manually entered Max HR as 197 into the Garmin. However on garminconnect (Default and running), my max HR is listed as 185 (I'm guessing calculated by Garmin's/Firstbeat's algorithms), thus explaining the 106% max reading during a run. Certainly baffled me for a while, thanks for all the replies.
Cheers
Kai



#213 Greenman

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined: 21-January 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane Bayside

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

View PostGreenman, on 08 October 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:

Thanks Rob.

I thought about purchasing overseas to save a dollar or two.  Chose instead to purchase through Highly Tuned Athletes due to the many recommendations on this board.  Glad I did, otherwise my 610 would now be a brick!!!!  Charging issues from day one, now it's dead. (Great watch otherwise LOL)

I will be express posting it back on Monday after talking to Peter? on the phone today.  My QLD location limits my ability to drop it in ;-)

So far, so good.

Overseas purchases...buyers beware.

Received a brand new Garmin 610!  Works perfectly!  Thanks heaps Rob.  Another happy customer here.

#214 Bulger32

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined: 18-May 11
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hey Guys

I have had my 610 since it was released into Australia and have never had a problem uploading data to Garmin Connect. it does it automatically for me. however i use a Mac and for some reason GarminAnt has done an upgrade and now it wont upload my data. it say thet it will automatically do it but it doesnt. I have 2 new workouts on my watch and i can get them into garmin connect.

Any ideas?
Anyone having the same problem?

Cheers Bulger

#215 age7875

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined: 17-July 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

View PostBulger32, on 10 December 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

Hey Guys

I have had my 610 since it was released into Australia and have never had a problem uploading data to Garmin Connect. it does it automatically for me. however i use a Mac and for some reason GarminAnt has done an upgrade and now it wont upload my data. it say thet it will automatically do it but it doesnt. I have 2 new workouts on my watch and i can get them into garmin connect.

Any ideas?
Anyone having the same problem?

Cheers Bulger

When I upgraded the Ant I had to resign my details (i.e. username and paswrod) into the the new software. Have you done that?

Edited by age7875, 10 December 2011 - 09:39 PM.


#216 BTK

    Newbie

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined: 12-December 11
  • Sex:Male

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

New to CR, and happy to find it.  Had my 610 for 3 weeks and loving it. But same problem that a couple others had with the screen ... dropped from bedside table to timber floor and lost a small piece of the screen under the 'n' on Garmin.  Took it back to the shop today and hoping for the same good outcome that others have reported.

Maybe I need to put it on the floor if I'm getting up in the dark? :)

But other than the screen? Seriously good product.

#217 Speakers

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined: 06-December 11
  • Sex:Male

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:55 AM

I've had my 610 for less than 24 hours now, after giving up on waiting for the 910x to launch. Loving the watch so far. It's my first gps watch, so im still getting the hang of it, and setting up various training screens etc. I think it might be a case of information overload when i go out for my first run tonight!

#218 maryclaire

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
  • Joined: 22-April 08
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:25 AM

I have noticed I have little sores on my wrist - under where the Garmin 610 sits.  They don't heal and are constantly slightly irritated.  They correspond to the holes where the charging clip inserts.  When I am running, the sores turn "blue" from the metallic base of the watch - which I don't particularly like having over an open wound.

I now no longer wear the watch during the day to give the wrist a break; and I am also regretting not picking up the free Channel 7 wristbands that were being thrown around at last year's Run For The Kids, as until now I'd thought wristbands were useles junk!

#219 cupraibiza

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined: 26-July 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

Ih this is killing me!!! I cant wait any longer....  Santa is bringing mine.  I feel like a little kid again.. counting down until Christmas

#220 lyricnz

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Joined: 22-November 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Narre Warren South

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

View Postmaryclaire, on 13 December 2011 - 07:25 AM, said:

I have noticed I have little sores on my wrist - under where the Garmin 610 sits.  They don't heal and are constantly slightly irritated.  They correspond to the holes where the charging clip inserts.  When I am running, the sores turn "blue" from the metallic base of the watch - which I don't particularly like having over an open wound.

Sounds like you have a metal allergy of some type.  Have you noticed this before? You could always work around it by sticking a bit of gaffer tape to the inside of the watch while you run, and peeling it back to charge.

#221 Narred

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Joined: 10-February 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Mitcham

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

View Postmaryclaire, on 13 December 2011 - 07:25 AM, said:

I have noticed I have little sores on my wrist - under where the Garmin 610 sits.  They don't heal and are constantly slightly irritated.  They correspond to the holes where the charging clip inserts.  When I am running, the sores turn "blue" from the metallic base of the watch - which I don't particularly like having over an open wound.

I now no longer wear the watch during the day to give the wrist a break; and I am also regretting not picking up the free Channel 7 wristbands that were being thrown around at last year's Run For The Kids, as until now I'd thought wristbands were useles junk!

Try the velcro strap instead ( thats if 610s come with one? )

#222 Speakers

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined: 06-December 11
  • Sex:Male

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

View Postmaryclaire, on 13 December 2011 - 07:25 AM, said:

I have noticed I have little sores on my wrist - under where the Garmin 610 sits.  They don't heal and are constantly slightly irritated.  They correspond to the holes where the charging clip inserts.  When I am running, the sores turn "blue" from the metallic base of the watch - which I don't particularly like having over an open wound.

I now no longer wear the watch during the day to give the wrist a break; and I am also regretting not picking up the free Channel 7 wristbands that were being thrown around at last year's Run For The Kids, as until now I'd thought wristbands were useles junk!

Can you just wear the watch on your opposite wrist for the time being?

#223 Hallac

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Joined: 28-June 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Terrey Hills

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Had my 610 for 6 months - like the watch but it doesn't always start recharging when I connect it and recently it's got worse.  Now when I do get the bar up showing how much charge it has, it actually starts discharging!  Spoke to HTA who referred me to Garmin and now my watch is on the way to Garmin :(

#224 Biscuitman

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined: 10-September 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Perth, WA

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

View PostHallac, on 16 December 2011 - 08:05 PM, said:

Had my 610 for 6 months - like the watch but it doesn't always start recharging when I connect it and recently it's got worse.  Now when I do get the bar up showing how much charge it has, it actually starts discharging!  Spoke to HTA who referred me to Garmin and now my watch is on the way to Garmin :(

I have had similar issue.  Also had my 610 about 6 mths.  When I first got it, the magnetism between the charger and watch was really strong.  It almost jumped on to the charger.  Now the magnet is much weaker and to get it to charge I have to turn it off before connecting to charger and make sure that it buzzes and starts charging.  Twice it has discharged on me instead of charging.  Bought from HTA.

Am heading to the US in early Jan for Houston Marathon so am crossing fingers it holds out as don't want to send it off in case it doesn't come back in time.

#225 Barry

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined: 10-March 07
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Planet Earth

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:43 PM

I also have trouble trying to charge my watch. It will start charging then stop then start again and like you say It some times even discharges. But I still like the watch and couldn't live with out it.

#226 RobGrinter

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Joined: 30-November 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:579 Hampton St, Hampton, VIC

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

A development during this week with a warranty claim we represented to Garmin on a discharging 610, resulted in Garmin returning a users watch to us with a note saying: (Verbatum)

"Unit was tested on basis of not holding charge, watch was monitored for reverse charging. Throughout of testing it has been proven that the charge cable has great impact. Watch is now charging normally, new charger supplied"

Here at HTA, this was news as we hadnt seen this a s a solution before. We have definetely seen the reverse charging issue many times, however this was a small number of units early on in the release, of which most have been nutted out by now. The unit put up for warranty was also somewhat surpisingly to be one of the reverse charging affected units.

A Solution: It may be pertinent to call Garmin on 1800-235-822 and suggest that you have the reverse charging issue "intermittently" and that you understand that "the charge cable has great impact", and then ask a for a remedy. Perhaps even ask them to send a Charge cable.

Please then share your result here to aid others.

As usual, if you wish further help, or require us to represent a warranty claim for you, please call HTA on 03-9598-7888.

#227 Biscuitman

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined: 10-September 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Perth, WA

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

Thanks Rob.  Will do and will report back

#228 BTK

    Newbie

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined: 12-December 11
  • Sex:Male

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

View PostBTK, on 13 December 2011 - 12:10 AM, said:

New to CR, and happy to find it.  Had my 610 for 3 weeks and loving it. But same problem that a couple others had with the screen ... dropped from bedside table to timber floor and lost a small piece of the screen under the 'n' on Garmin.  Took it back to the shop today and hoping for the same good outcome that others have reported.

Maybe I need to put it on the floor if I'm getting up in the dark? :)

But other than the screen? Seriously good product.

Great news! After initially declining and offering a half-price replacement, Product Support at Garmin has OK'd it as a warranty replacement.  Well done, Garmin.

#229 Biscuitman

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined: 10-September 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Perth, WA

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

View PostRobGrinter, on 17 December 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

A development during this week with a warranty claim we represented to Garmin on a discharging 610, resulted in Garmin returning a users watch to us with a note saying: (Verbatum)

"Unit was tested on basis of not holding charge, watch was monitored for reverse charging. Throughout of testing it has been proven that the charge cable has great impact. Watch is now charging normally, new charger supplied"

Here at HTA, this was news as we hadnt seen this a s a solution before. We have definetely seen the reverse charging issue many times, however this was a small number of units early on in the release, of which most have been nutted out by now. The unit put up for warranty was also somewhat surpisingly to be one of the reverse charging affected units.

A Solution: It may be pertinent to call Garmin on 1800-235-822 and suggest that you have the reverse charging issue "intermittently" and that you understand that "the charge cable has great impact", and then ask a for a remedy. Perhaps even ask them to send a Charge cable.

Please then share your result here to aid others.

As usual, if you wish further help, or require us to represent a warranty claim for you, please call HTA on 03-9598-7888.

As an update, they ie Garmin would not just send me a charge cable despite my pleadings about needing a working unit before I depart overseas.  They wanted me to send in at least the cable.  As an uncharged watch is pretty useless without a cable, I will be sending in the whole unit ExpressPost today and hoping that I get it all back again in time.

#230 RobGrinter

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Joined: 30-November 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:579 Hampton St, Hampton, VIC

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

View PostBiscuitman, on 19 December 2011 - 02:06 PM, said:

As an update, they ie Garmin would not just send me a charge cable despite my pleadings about needing a working unit before I depart overseas.  They wanted me to send in at least the cable.  As an uncharged watch is pretty useless without a cable, I will be sending in the whole unit ExpressPost today and hoping that I get it all back again in time.

call me before doing this.  03-9598-7888  Rob

#231 Biscuitman

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined: 10-September 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Perth, WA

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

View PostRobGrinter, on 19 December 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

call me before doing this.  03-9598-7888  Rob
Further update for anyone other than me and Rob (who I just spoke to on the phone).

When I was packing everything up to send off, I unplugged the USB cable from the plug charger unit and plugged the USB into our PC.  The magnetism of the charger was back to how it used to be and the watch instantly started charging away.  As a result, I have just sent the charger/plug unit to Garmin for testing and hopefully replacement.  At least now it seems that I have a charging option even if I have to fully charge and then not use the watch until race day (and keep an eye out for USB charging oppotunities while overseas).  Plus I still have my Garmin for my last few workouts (including a marathon pace long run this weekend)

As a customer service note, Rob's message above (which I didn't see until I had already sent off the charger) was to offer for me to send my Garmin to him, for him to provide me with a replacement and they would sort it with Garmin.  This really is excellent customer service.

All I can say is that if you are thinking of purchasing a Garmin or other device anywhere other than Highly Tuned Athletes because you think you can save a couple of bucks, it may well turn out to be a false economy as this type of customer service is priceless.

Thanks Rob.

#232 RunningTall

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined: 26-April 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Bendigo

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

Wow! That really is great customer service. Well done Rob and HTA! Thanks for the info, Biscuitman.  Will keep in mind if I have any troubles down the track. Cheers.

#233 aza09

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Joined: 08-December 08
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Whitsundays QLD

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:43 AM

Hi can anyone tell me if the pin on the 610 watch band sliding out is a common problem or is it just mine?
Seems to happen with more and more regularity.

Is there a fix ?

Paul

#234 RobGrinter

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Joined: 30-November 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:579 Hampton St, Hampton, VIC

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:50 AM

View Postaza09, on 24 December 2011 - 06:43 AM, said:

Hi can anyone tell me if the pin on the 610 watch band sliding out is a common problem or is it just mine?
Seems to happen with more and more regularity.

Is there a fix ?

Paul



It is a known issue with a particular small and early batch of 610's.  The pin was incorrectly a tiny bit undersize.


If you call Garmin on 1800-235-822, they will rectify it for you.

#235 TheRuns

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Joined: 09-May 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Saskatchewan

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

Quick Q:
I recently bought one of these from a relatively reputable large chain sporting goods store. Anyway, I am moving to Canada in about a month's time. Does anyone know if I run into any troubles with my 610 or 405 if I can make warranty claims over thee for products purchased here?

#236 Speakers

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined: 06-December 11
  • Sex:Male

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

I bought one of these watches a little over a month ago, and its worked perfectly so far. I've only had one small problem, the 'automatic lap by position' doesn't seem to work very well. I've enabled one second recording, and updated to the latest firmware, but it still seems pretty hit and miss as to when it will recognise a completed lap.

Its not really a big issue, and im happy to press the lap button every time instead of relying on the automation. I was just curious if anyone else had been experiencing problems with it?

Edited by Speakers, 29 January 2012 - 07:25 AM.


#237 age7875

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined: 17-July 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostSpeakers, on 29 January 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

I bought one of these watches a little over a month ago, and its worked perfectly so far. I've only had one small problem, the 'automatic lap by position' doesn't seem to work very well. I've enabled one second recording, and updated to the latest firmware, but it still seems pretty hit and miss as to when it will recognise a completed lap.

Its not really a big issue, and im happy to press the lap button every time instead of relying on the automation. I was just curious if anyone else had been experiencing problems with it?

I have only used this function once, but it worked perfectly for me.

#238 runhard

    I just love to run!

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined: 09-September 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Blacktown, NSW

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

I purchased my Garmin 610 early last year from a US site.  This morning it crashed and died. I was pretty annoyed. Had to train without it.  After a few comments written on here advising against the purchase of such products OS I was a bit worried.  Thought I might need to send it back to the US. To cut a long story (well not that long) short, Went to Garmin today as I pass by on my way home, they looked at it and gave me a new one!   I love Garmin. Cant wait to wake up early and use it.

RH

#239 Kaiser

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Joined: 17-May 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Recently while wearing the 610, the watch strap will sometimes become detached from the metal piece holding it in place. See pictures for description. Easy to apply pressure and snap it back in it's original place.

Also, the pins attaching the straps to the watch face seem to be becoming looser. I'm not fussed about it too much, after all the Garmin still serves its main function which is to record runs...though as customers we did pay a fair bit of money for the watches. Anyone else experience these issues or is this an isolated case?

Attached Files


Edited by Kaiser, 07 February 2012 - 10:54 PM.


#240 runhard

    I just love to run!

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined: 09-September 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Blacktown, NSW

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

Not isolated.  My wife has the same problem with hers. I put it down to small wrists. I use the velcro strap and dont have an issue. I find it more comfortable.

RH

#241 cappy

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined: 13-April 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Wanneroo, WA

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hi all

I've had my 610 for about 10 months and it's been excellent

However this morning it is not happy. I swiped the screen to unlock it and it immediately went blank, then showed the splash screen. The splash screen stays on for about three seconds, then it goes blank again for a second, then the splash creek returns and it repeats this pattern of 'flashing' the splash screen on and off

I tried a hard reset by pressing the appropriate buttons, as per the instructions on the garmin website, and got the right beeps at the right times, but it is still flashing

Anyone got any ideas?

:-(

Edited by cappy, 03 March 2012 - 11:38 AM.


#242 TopEndChick

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined: 02-October 11
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Darwin

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

Just wondering how waterproof the 610 is?
Not talking about swimming, but I do run throughout the wet season and have already killed a few watches and iPods from running in the rain. Tossing up between the 610 and the 910. I mostly run. Swim and cycle (its more like riding though - no great speeds encountered :)) on my rest and cross training days.
Any recommendations?

#243 runhard

    I just love to run!

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined: 09-September 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Blacktown, NSW

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

I wear mine in the rain with no problems. Really depends what you want. I love my 610.

#244 maryclaire

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
  • Joined: 22-April 08
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostKaiser, on 07 February 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

Recently while wearing the 610, the watch strap will sometimes become detached from the metal piece holding it in place. See pictures for description. Easy to apply pressure and snap it back in it's original place.

Also, the pins attaching the straps to the watch face seem to be becoming looser. I'm not fussed about it too much, after all the Garmin still serves its main function which is to record runs...though as customers we did pay a fair bit of money for the watches. Anyone else experience these issues or is this an isolated case?


that would happen to mine with increasing frequency until one day the pin dropped out and I lost it.  I returned it to HTA and it was replaced immediately.

An update on the sores on my wrists - I tried switching the watch between right and left wrists however quickly ended up with sores on both wrists - each sore corresponded to the site where the charging clip inserts into the watch!   Rob at HTA gave me a velcro wrist band but this did not help./  I now wear the watch with a sweatband underneath for protection.

#245 Emrun

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Joined: 04-July 06
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Blackburn Sth

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

View Postcappy, on 03 March 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Hi all

I've had my 610 for about 10 months and it's been excellent

However this morning it is not happy. I swiped the screen to unlock it and it immediately went blank, then showed the splash screen. The splash screen stays on for about three seconds, then it goes blank again for a second, then the splash creek returns and it repeats this pattern of 'flashing' the splash screen on and off

I tried a hard reset by pressing the appropriate buttons, as per the instructions on the garmin website, and got the right beeps at the right times, but it is still flashing

Anyone got any ideas?

:-(

Exact same thing has happened to me, I've had mine around 9 months.  I took mine off the charger today and have had the same experience you have described and resetting does nothing.  I bought mine from HTA so I'm giving them a call, thankfully I am still in warranty.

Now that I've just dug out my receipt I notice that it is dated 13/04 which is when I paid a deposit  for the unit, although it wasn't delivered to me until the end of May, that's a bit cheeky, I've been cheated out of 6 weeks worth of warranty!

Edited by Emrun, 05 March 2012 - 12:34 PM.


#246 cappy

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined: 13-April 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Wanneroo, WA

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hi Emrun.

I was waiting until Tuesday to phone Garmin Australia, once they re-opened, and tried the reset again this morning. It worked! No idea why it decided to work this time and not the other ~6 times I tried.

What I did this morning, but again I emphasise I also tried this yesterday and Saturday and it failed to work then:

First I tried the soft reset (as per http://support.garmi...000000000000%7d )
  • Press Light and Lap/Reset to power the device on  (even though it is already on, but I did the step anyway)
  • Select Yes on the Clear User Data? message

It does nothing that you can notice as it still does the flashing thing, but anyways, now onto the master reset (as per https://support.garm...000000000000%7D )
  • Press and hold Start/Stop and Lap/Reset
  • Once the two buttons from step 1 are pressed in, press and hold Light (You should now be holding down all three buttons)
  • After the first beep, release Start/Stop
  • After the second beep, release Lap/Reset
  • Release Light.

As I mention, it worked, but it had also failed several times previously, but I also don't remember whether I did the soft reset immediately before the master reset, so that MAY be why, but I'm guessing. Let me know if it works for you

I have since turned the watch on and off and it is still working OK. I went out for a run this morning and all is OK.

Edited by cappy, 05 March 2012 - 03:04 PM.


#247 lukin

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined: 18-April 06
  • Location:Ipswich

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

Has anyone experienced freezing of the 610 when starting up?  Just recently the last few times when I've turned the watch on it has frozen at the garmin logo screen and done nothing with pressing of any buttons not doing anything.  

Eventually it will let you old the power off & go to shutdown screen and close.  Took me about four goes to get it working today.  

Also the back seems like it is wearing on the metal plate.  Never had this happen on my old 205.  

Watch is < 9 months old, & bought via HTA.  

I guess if it is warranty not really keen on being without a watch for however long.

#248 runhard

    I just love to run!

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined: 09-September 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Blacktown, NSW

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

Mine did that then died. Took it back and they replaced it immediately. Better to do it now than forking out for a new watch in 3 months time when warranty is over.

RH

#249 Bulger32

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined: 18-May 11
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Ive had a problem with mine the last few weeks. when ever i do a run and then reset to save the run it clears all the data and then shuts down and i cant get any data from the run. its still in warranty how do i go about exchanging it? do i take it back to the shop i brought it from?

#250 brendanburrows

    Newbie

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined: 25-April 12
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Winmalee

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

A question for anyone who has bought a Garmin 610 to replace using their iPhone 4:

I currently use iMapMyRun+ on my iPhone 4 and have been generally happy with the GPS accuracy (apart from a few shockers!), carrying the phone on a Griffin waterproof armband and also the simple functionality of the iMapMyRun+ app, especially being able to set it up to tell me my running stats through my earphones so I don't have to look at a screen, AND I can also listen to music. I am also about to buy a Garmin heart rate monitor with Ant+ to connect up to iMapMyRun+ for a few extra stats.

I am currently being teased by the gagetry of the Garmin 610 and am on the brink of a purchase, but I am not unhappy enough with my iPhone setup to jump ship to the Garmin! I know it is like comparing a Toyota (iPhone) and a Porsche (Garmin 610), but does anyone actually get better running results from using the Garmin 610 (eg. using virtual partner function etc)? Or does it come down to the Garmin 610 being more accurate with it's GPS and therefore the stats it shows you, and also more fun to use because of how much stuff it can record and tell you?

Interested to hear what the 610 has actually got over the iPhone 4 + a running app to justify the 610's price.

Cheers, Brendan.