424 replies to this topic

#1 buzzlightyear

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

ENTRIES OPEN AT 6:00AM, MONDAY, 1 AUGUST 2011

With these words, and a picture specially dedicated to my Man Horrie, let this kick start the thread to 2011's GNW race!!

Now 3 girls and 3 boys have hoof the whole run, would we have another sell out for the 100 miler race??

Attached Files

Edited by buzzlightyear, 05 April 2011 - 03:32 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

View Postbuzzlightyear, on 05 April 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

ENTRIES OPEN AT 6:00AM, MONDAY, 1 AUGUST 2011

With these words, and a picture specially dedicated to my Man Horrie, let this kick start the thread to 2011's GNW race!!

Now 3 girls and 3 boys have hoof the whole run, would we have another sell out for the 100 miler race??

You're a funny man Buzz. So are you telling me you know where to turn right onto the trail now? I hope to be there in some capacity but have to get through a small run through Death Valley first. So I will make my intentions clearer later.

#3 CCor

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:32 PM

Im keen. My first 100k. Looking forward to it.
Its my birthday present to myself!

#4 JustDoingIt

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

This race caught my eye last year and has once again entered my consciousness.
I would love to run the 100km myself and prefer warm conditions but I am not sure if I am ready.
So my questions:
1. Does anyone looking to complete the 100M need a pacer? I would be more than willing to do so.
2. I know it is difficult to answer such questions, but how much more work is involved in going from a 3.56.22 marathon to an ultra?
Any advice/guidance would be very much appreciated!

#5 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hi JustDoingIt!

Welcome aboard the GNW train.  We need more girls!! So definitely step up and have a go yourself - looks like you live not too far from the trail which is a great advantage.

I went from my first 45km (6ft Track - first ever marathon) in March to the GNW 100km in NOV of 2009 and nobody is ever going to describe me as a super-athlete. I mainly up'd my kms on trail but work commitments keep me from doing massive workloads so I guess the answer is its less work than you think to step up to ultras.  You need fitness but a lot of its mental as well as the experts will tell you.  I used a few of the fat ass runs throughout the year as progressive steps up.

#6 otisr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

Give the 100km a go JustDoingit.  As Trailpuddin says - put in some trail runs,make sure they are long so you get a feel for it.  Great run and the best trai around.  Nice hills too.

#7 JustDoingIt

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the encouragement! I am doing a marathon in a month and after that I will hit the trails and see how it goes.
I agree - more girls at such events can only be a good thing!

#8 DaveRobbo

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

I heard about this event last year and gave it some consideration. I think 2011 is now time to make it happen. Am keen to have a crack at my first Ultra so this could be it.

I've been living in Newcastle and now in Singleton, Hunter Valley so nice and close to the action.

Look forward to reading more gee-ups on this thread and firing up to enter on Aug 1.

#9 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

This is a long way off but as usual it is on my agenda. As they say I have some unfinished business with this event. With three straight finishes in the 100 miles I was going fine and had the measure of the event and course but then in 2009 a DNF and in 2010 a DNS.

I have a lot of running to do between now and November but all things going well I expect to be at the start line once again and hopefully the finish line as well.

Suggestions on training. Clearly be able to run a good marathon and spend some time on trails. Length of training I never train distances other than solid marathon training but some other do go longer.

#10 Virtual

I can be dying an hour after I can be flying. Gabriel Flores

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

View PostEagle, on 15 May 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

I have a lot of running to do between now and November but all things going well I expect to be at the start line once again and hopefully the finish line as well.

Good luck with your preparation Ray. You're my hero.

#11 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

View PostEagle, on 15 May 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

This is a long way off but as usual it is on my agenda. As they say I have some unfinished business with this event. With three straight finishes in the 100 miles I was going fine and had the measure of the event and course but then in 2009 a DNF and in 2010 a DNS.

Ray we missed you in the tail-end train last year.

#12 RobHall

well who ever thought this would happen?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

Do I or don't I??? Hmmmm. I am no good at trails or hot weather or navigating.....i suppose it would be character building

#13 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

View PostRobHall, on 15 May 2011 - 05:31 PM, said:

Do I or don't I??? Hmmmm. I am no good at trails or hot weather or navigating.....i suppose it would be character building

RobHall you are renowned as already being quite the character but you really need to have a crack at this one.

#14 RobHall

well who ever thought this would happen?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

I don't want to spoil Beaver's chance at a hat trick....maybe I will just take it easy and gift him the win :Big Grin:

#15 Ancient Marathoner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

I just emailed out the following note to the 2011 GNW100s Interest List:

Hello,

You are receiving this email because you are on the Interest List for the 2011 Great North Walk 100s event on 12 November 2011.  If you wish to be removed from this List, please respond to this email saying so.

Plans are well under way for this year’s GNW100s which will be the biggest, and we hope the best, since the event began in 2005.  I have already received a lot of interest for the 2011 event and there are nearly 300 people on the Mailing List.  The GNW100s website is up-to-date and anybody planning to enter the race must read all of the Race Information before doing so.

Some points to note for the 2011 GNW100s are as follows:

• Entries will open at precisely 6:00am, Monday, 1 August 2011.

• Entrants who have started in three previous GNW100s will be given a 24 hour window to enter prior to the official Entry Opening time, i.e., from 6:00am, Sunday, 31 July 2011.  After that preferential 24 hours, they will have the same chance of gaining entry as all other applicants.

• The Entry Fee will rise to $200 ($220 if not an AURA Member) for the 100 Miles and $160 ($176 if not an AURA Member) for the 100 Kilometres. The Entry Fees have not changed since the inaugural running in 2005 and are set to recover costs for this volunteer-run event.

• Entries will only be accepted by email.

• There will be an administration charge of $40 for anybody withdrawing their Entry prior to the Entry Closing Date (as usual, there are no refunds for Entrants withdrawing after the Entry Closing Date).

• The maximum number of Entries for both events will be increased from 100 to 125 (subject to approval from all relevant authorities). Initially, 160 Entries in total will be accepted, and a Waiting List maintained for unsuccessful Entrants.

• The Entry Closing Date has been moved to four weeks before the event, 14 October 2011, rather than two weeks as previously. This is intended to give more chance for Entrants on the Waiting List to prepare if offered a place as a result of withdrawals.

• The list of Mandatory Equipment will be expanded to include a compression bandage for dealing with snake bite and the Recommended Equipment will be expanded to include an emergency space blanket.

• All Runners will be weighed at the Start and at Checkpoint 2, and possibly other Checkpoints, prior to departure. Significant weight loss or gain during the event will be used by the medical personnel as an aid in judging whether it is safe for the Runner to continue. (The race medical personnel and race officials have the power to withdraw any runner at any time for any reason at their own discretion, or impose waiting times on runners deemed to be at medical risk if continuing immediately.)

• Last year’s temporary course deviation on the Section between Checkpoint 4 and Checkpoint 5 in the 100 Mile event, made necessary by the closure of a track because of an incidence of myrtle rust, seems likely to become permanent. The 2011 course will follow the revised route and maps and directions have been amended to reflect this change. Since this shortens the Section and because most running on this Section is done in the cool of the night, there will no longer be an Unmanned Water Station on Tooheys Road at 116.4km.

• The Alternative Route in case of high water at the Mooney Mooney Creek crossing at 142.4km has never been used in the six years of the GNW100s and is no longer viable because of a dispute over land access. Therefore it has been removed from the documentation.

• A Portaloo will be provided at Checkpoint 6.

• Race Rules have been changed to make it clear that
         physical assistance provided to any runner outside of a Checkpoint will result in disqualification,
         abuse of event Officials or Volunteers by Runners or their Pacers or their Support Crews will result in disqualification,
         there will be no Entry Fee refunds to any Entrant if the event is cancelled and/or significant parts of the course become inaccessible at the direction of empowered Authorities in the two weeks leading up to and including the event.

If you are thinking of running this year, you might be interested in the following offer:

“Sydney Altitude Training is backing the GNW100s this year, with a special rate and programme to help you get tougher than the toughest race in Oz!

http://www.sydneyalt...om/gnw100s.html

Join the team - we will have training, kit, support at the Basin, and a winning smile for all!”

As usual, there is a forum on the CoolRunning website where you can chat about the event, learn from the experts, and plan training runs.  Click here to go to the forum.

If you have any questions at all about the 2011 GNW100s, please get in touch with me by email or phone.

Happy training.

Dave Byrnes
dave@davebyrnes.com.au
0428 880784

#16 Blue Dog

CoolRunning's Ambassador-For-Life

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Location:Sans Souci, Sydney's small southern sparkling sapphire suburb.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

I love GNW100's Race Director Dave Byrnes, who sent out a nice email this week outlining the requirements etc. for entry into this years event.

I particularly enjoyed the inclusion of a few extra items of mandatory & recommended gear, i.e. -

"The list of Mandatory Equipment will be expanded to include a compression bandage for dealing with snake bite and the Recommended Equipment will be expanded to include an emergency space blanket."

GNW is already up there as one of the genuine ball-busting, hardcore races on the calendar and these new pieces of equipment highlight some of the less common risks that can be found during this adventure.

From experience, the snake bite bandage is invaluable and is something I rarely venture into the bush without. There is no doubt that in 2008 during my 'Hand of Dog' episode that having such a bandage available saved not only my race but quite possibly my hand as well.

As for the space blanket? -  At first I was a little confused, yet soon realised that this was designed to be -

1/ Held above the head when running through Congewai Valley to deflect that damn furnace-like heat (our tribute to Badwater)
and
2/ Placed over the body of deceased runners (reflective side up) to make aerial location and body retrieval just that bit easier.

Love yer' race Dave, and can't wait to be involved in one capacity or another this year.

Cheers, Blue Dog.

#17 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

View PostBlue Dog, on 16 June 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:

As for the space blanket? -  At first I was a little confused, yet soon realised that this was designed to be -

2/ Placed over the body of deceased runners (reflective side up) to make aerial location and body retrieval just that bit easier.

Love yer' race Dave, and can't wait to be involved in one capacity or another this year.

Cheers, Blue Dog.

Damn, if we had one of those with us back in 200? (I forget the year) we could have put it over Tim's carcass and saved waiting for the body retrievers. And I guess it would have kept the buzzards off as well.
I might carry a couple of extras, I seem to attract disaster out there.

#18 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

Whippet, Promote yourself as a certified venepuncturist to the race, stroll around the 165km plus with couple of bags of IV bags charging $50 a pop, I think you will be a rich manPosted Image

#19 seris

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

View PostBlue Dog, on 16 June 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:

From experience, the snake bite bandage is invaluable and is something I rarely venture into the bush without. There is no doubt that in 2008 during my 'Hand of Dog' episode that having such a bandage available saved not only my race but quite possibly my hand as well.

So Dawg's responsible for the mandatory bandage...
I think I may have helped add this one.....
"All Runners will be weighed at the Start and at Checkpoint 2, and possibly other Checkpoints, prior to departure. Significant weight loss or gain during the event will be used by the medical personnel as an aid in judging whether it is safe for the Runner to continue."
Geeze Dave, why can't a girl loose 5 kgs in a weekend without you spoiling the fun?
A couple of years ago at Glasshouse 100 miler a friend was weighed without his pack the night before the race and then managed to be weighed WITH HIS FULLY LOADED PACK at the checkpoints.

View PostWhippet Man, on 16 June 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

Damn, if we had one of those with us back in 200? (I forget the year) we could have put it over Tim's carcass and saved waiting for the body retrievers. And I guess it would have kept the buzzards off as well.
I might carry a couple of extras, I seem to attract disaster out there.
You calling me a disaster Andy? :Black Eye:

View Postbuzzlightyear, on 16 June 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

Whippet, Promote yourself as a certified venepuncturist to the race, stroll around the 165km plus with couple of bags of IV bags charging $50 a pop, I think you will be a rich manPosted Image
The race fee for GNW was the best money I spent last year. 169km run, 2 litres of IV fluid and a chauffered ride with RD Dave and Race Doctor to the finish line. :spiteful:

#20 pacman

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

View PostRobHall, on 15 May 2011 - 05:31 PM, said:

RH
Trails are easy (relatively), navigating is easy (relatively), but the *$^%#( hot weather of the last 2 years has been a
*%^#(&$#*(&$@(&#.
I am a plodder, but the heat (40+) over the last 2 years going through Congewai valley has been a killer.
Statistically, this will be a better year heat wise, but statistically isnt entering.

Good luck if you chose to go down that path.

#21 otisr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

View Postpacman, on 28 June 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

RH
Trails are easy (relatively), navigating is easy (relatively), but the *$^%#( hot weather of the last 2 years has been a
*%^#(&$#*(&$@(&#.
I am a plodder, but the heat (40+) over the last 2 years going through Congewai valley has been a killer.
Statistically, this will be a better year heat wise, but statistically isnt entering.

Good luck if you chose to go down that path.

Do it - only one way to find out.  The best and toughest trail around.

#22 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:36 AM

Undoubtedly the measuring stick for trail ultras in Australia.

And Seris, it was your race that ended in disaster. You are by no means a disaster. I look forward to spending more time with you out there this year. It is keeping me motivated.

#23 TheRidler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

Well it's that time of year. I've started training for November and with three prvious starts I'm sure to be in. I'm looking forward to seeing and training with the GNW family again. The atmosphere at this event is second to none.

One question; I'm looking to upgrade my headlamp. Any suggestions?

See you out on the trails

Ridler :Cuppa:

#24 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

Still a way off yet although on ocassions my thoughts do drift to this event. With a DNF and DNS in the last 2  I need to not only get to the start line this year but also to the run along the beach at Patonga  :Nail Biting:

I did have 3 in a row before that  :Applause:

#25 stephenJ

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

I will be in for one of the 100s, not sure if I am brave enough to put in for a 100 miler yet though

#26 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

View PostTheRidler, on 29 June 2011 - 09:50 AM, said:

I'm looking to upgrade my headlamp. Any suggestions?

I recently got a Petzl Tikka XP2.
The lamp isn't the brightest available but easily meets my needs and is lightweight, has a cool red light for camping and a focusable beam.

What I'm impressed with is the Petzel CORE battery pack.
It slots onto many of the Petzel headlamps where the batteries normally go.
It is:
- rechargeable by USB
- lasts longer than 3 AAAs
- about the same weight as 3 AAAs
- brighter than using batteries; and
- the equivalent of about 900 AAAs over its lifespan
...AND it has a built in superlightweight plastic whistle! (built in mandatory race gear...awesome!)

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 29 June 2011 - 02:04 PM.

#27 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

View Postpacman, on 28 June 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

How do you work that out?

How hot it is on the second weekend in November this year, is in no way influenced by the weather on the corresponding weekend in previous years.

#28 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

View PostJustDoingIt, on 12 May 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

2. I know it is difficult to answer such questions, but how much more work is involved in going from a 3.56.22 marathon to an ultra?

The answer is very different if you have only been running 12 months and have completed one or two marathons, as opposed to having run 30 marathons over 10 years.

I'm not trying to put you off, but the GNW would be one of the toughest 100km races in Australia in which to make your ultra debut.

Regarding Trailpudding and Eagle's encouragement and training advice, TP went into her first 6 Foot and GNW with way more trail experience and savvy than most newbies, and Eagle has run well over 100 marathons. If you are not coming from the same base as them, it is unrealistic to expect the same results.

#29 Slug

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

Tentatively in for the 100 and a bit k, sanity might prevail in the interim.

#30 iangallagher16

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

super keen for the 100miler and totally trashing myself in the process. my history is just 2 TNF100's but i cant keep putting off the big one. looking forward to learning from ultra168 along the way too.

#31 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

View Postiangallagher16, on 29 June 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

super keen for the 100miler and totally trashing myself in the process. my history is just 2 TNF100's but i cant keep putting off the big one. looking forward to learning from ultra168 along the way too.

Just don't learn navigation from Dan

#32 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

View PostSlowManiac, on 29 June 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

Just don't learn navigation from Dan

I think this joke is well past its sell-by date... we all need to make mistakes in order to learn tea-boy...

Also, Paul, I've had a word with the weather Gods... and this year has been decreed a wet weather year. If you've seen the state of the fields in Congewai Valley you'll know what I mean, some of them were around 1metre under water when I was up there a few weeks ago. Of course, this will change over the coming months. But fear ye not for all you pale withering people like me that hate hot weather. It will rain and it will be cooler... I can feel it in my bones.

Edited by djbleakman, 30 June 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#33 Ourimbah

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

View Postdjbleakman, on 29 June 2011 - 07:28 PM, said:

I think this joke is well past its sell-by date... we all need to make mistakes in order to learn tea-boy...

Also, Paul, I've had a word with the weather Gods... and this year has been decreed a wet weather year. If you've seen the state of the fields in Congewai Valley you'll know what I mean, some of them were around 1metre under water when I was up there a few weeks ago. Of course, this will change over the coming months. But fear ye not for all you pale withering people like me that hate hot weather. It will rain and it will be cooler... I can feel it in my bones.

I think your feeling the wrong bone.You should enter Dan,run with gordi and find new ways of making it around to the Basin.

#34 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

Yes a cool GNW  - keep wishing.

I am going to train for GNW with a combination of Wii-Fit and Zumba classes.

#35 TheRidler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:31 AM

View PostRawAussieAthlete, on 29 June 2011 - 02:00 PM, said:

I recently got a Petzl Tikka XP2.

Thanks. I'll check ir out. At the moment the Ayup light is favourite. Anybody got one, is it any good?

View Postdjbleakman, on 29 June 2011 - 07:28 PM, said:

But fear ye not for all you pale withering people like me that hate hot weather. It will rain and it will be cooler... I can feel it in my bones.

Speaking as one of those pale withering creatures from the mother country, like yourself. I hope you are right. I've had enought of being fried in the valley on a Saturday afternoon

View PostOurimbah, on 30 June 2011 - 09:21 AM, said:

I think your feeling the wrong bone.You should enter Dan,run with gordi and find new ways of making it around to the Basin.

I know an alternative way into the Basin. 2008 came in heading North not South. OK it adds a few km's, but the scenery is nice

#36 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

View PostSlowManiac, on 30 June 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

Yes a cool GNW  - keep wishing.

I am going to train for GNW with a combination of Wii-Fit and Zumba classes.

That should see you break 6:59 for the last section this year buddy. It will be tough, but I reckon you can do it. Just remember, if you think it's time to get up and start moving again, sit back down and have another cup of tea... 6:59 is well within your reach.

View PostOurimbah, on 30 June 2011 - 09:21 AM, said:

No chance... any route that is not the official route is a DNQ. Period... I spent an hour in the 2008 race doing hill reps in and out of the Basin. It wasn't much fun. Riddler's route is much easier, and not that much longer... there's 1km in it.

Edited by djbleakman, 30 June 2011 - 09:57 AM.

#37 TheRidler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

View Postdjbleakman, on 30 June 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

I spent an hour in the 2008 race doing hill reps in and out of the Basin. It wasn't much fun. Riddler's route is much easier, and not that much longer... there's 1km in it.

After fighting through those fallen trees last year I think 'the Ridlers Short cut would be easier, but I think you have the distance wrong. I ran at leaast 30kms extra (or at least that's what I tell everyone in an attempt to make myself sound tough).

#38 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

Those trees are still there, there's also quite a few others down on the track too, particularly around Cedar Brush. There's also a landslide between CP1 and CP2, and lots of rock fall there too as a result of the recent heavy rainfall. I'm sure all this will be fine come race day as the ground hardens up, but if you're training up there it pays to watch out. The track up there between CP1 and 2 is a lot different as you make your way towards the back end of that track up on the ridge. Think there was a bush fire, or some burnback. Either way, it looks very different up there.

#39 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

View Postdjbleakman, on 30 June 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

Either way, it looks very different up there.

Don't want to sound cynical but you sure you were on the right track? Apparently you have a bit of a reputation, only going by what I've heard of course.

#40 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

View PostWhippet Man, on 30 June 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

Don't want to sound cynical but you sure you were on the right track? Apparently you have a bit of a reputation, only going by what I've heard of course.

Maybe it was the way the light hit the ground or something :) I was on the right track. I get lost once and this is what I have to put up with!

#41 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

If you haven't been 'misplaced' at least once on the gnw, you weren't running fast enough :)

Edited by Spud, 30 June 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#42 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

View Postdjbleakman, on 30 June 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

Maybe it was the way the light hit the ground or something :) I was on the right track. I get lost once and this is what I have to put up with!

Once!! Once every run more like it.

There are quite a few intersections on GNW named "Dan's corner"

#43 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

I remember dropping into the Bermuda Basin in 2007 with a few runners in tow. We encountered 3 other runners coming back towards us, long before the out and back section. They argued with me that we were going the wrong way. So they continued (minus USPhil who was following them blindly and realised we knew where we were going and they didn't) off in the wrong direction. I don't think Dan was one of them.

#44 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

View PostWhippet Man, on 30 June 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

I remember dropping into the Bermuda Basin in 2007 with a few runners in tow. We encountered 3 other runners coming back towards us, long before the out and back section. They argued with me that we were going the wrong way. So they continued (minus USPhil who was following them blindly and realised we knew where we were going and they didn't) off in the wrong direction. I don't think Dan was one of them.

You're damn right I wasn't one of them, I didn't live here until November 22nd 2007 (a glorious anniversary on the English rugby calendar), a few weeks after GNW. I put my getting lost down to what Spud says, running so hard and so competitively that I missed a turn - it only happened once... well twice in the same race, but technically in one race, so that's once I got lost...

Gary, $100 says I beat you this year. (Sorry I shouldn't be making bets until I actually get a place)

Edited by djbleakman, 30 June 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#45 Beaver

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

View Postdjbleakman, on 30 June 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

Gary, $100 says I beat you this year.

Just sold my twinings shares.

#46 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Haha funny AV. Get back to looking at bears and beavers, you shouldn't be on here.

Dan its easy to make bets with somebody who can't even run at the moment.

And anyway look what I did to Mick, are you sure you want to unleash the  fury????

#47 AlunDavies

The artist formally known as TaffTrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

View Postdjbleakman, on 30 June 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

Yeah, it's not like you DNF'd or anything, you'd never hear the last of that if you did!

Edited by AlunDavies, 30 June 2011 - 03:14 PM.

#48 TheRidler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

View Postdjbleakman, on 30 June 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

I didn't live here until November 22nd 2007 (a glorious anniversary on the English rugby calendar)

And it's my birthday And I was in the stadium And If my memory serves me right so were you And I think we should remind everyone of that night at every posible opportunity even if it has nothing to do with this race.

#49 stephenJ

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

how many kms training do people generally do for a 100 miler, I have been hovering around the 100km - 110km per week for the last month, training took a bit of a knock after north face but before that I was on 100km per week for about 6 months. I am thinking I should be doing 160km a week for a 100m run but that is a lot of extra time to find in a week!

Am keen to sign up for gnw100m but havent run that far before and am a bit worried that I will end up destroying my legs, if proper recovery from 100k takes me about 4 weeks I am worried I will be out of running for 2 months after a 100 miler...

#50 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

View PoststephenJ, on 04 July 2011 - 04:54 PM, said:

how many kms training do people generally do for a 100 miler, I have been hovering around the 100km - 110km per week for the last month, training took a bit of a knock after north face but before that I was on 100km per week for about 6 months. I am thinking I should be doing 160km a week for a 100m run but that is a lot of extra time to find in a week!

Am keen to sign up for gnw100m but havent run that far before and am a bit worried that I will end up destroying my legs, if proper recovery from 100k takes me about 4 weeks I am worried I will be out of running for 2 months after a 100 miler...

GNW100 miler is a big step up from TNF100 but given your training load should be achievable.
Was TNF your first 100km? If so expect significant recovery time after GNW.
Your 100km/wk would need a significant hill component. A lot also depends on how hard you go. Bearing in mind that with the miler you don't have a lot of margin late in the race to 'take it easy'.
A lot of people finish on less weekly mileage than you are doing but possibly have a bigger and deeper base behind them. Some DNF on more than you are doing.
And backing up from 100s is all part of the challenge. You can't expect to be back to your best in a month. A lot of the regulars go from 100 to 100 without much in between in an attempt to recover but often we are carrying the last race into the next. It depends on your priorities. If GNW is your goal race you shouldn't worry about a lengthy recovery. If you have something else in mind down the track, skip the hundred miler.
Personally there are very few, if any races in Oz that can rival GNW100 miler for sense of achievement and grandeur.