30 replies to this topic

#1 42junkie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

My new book "Passion for Distance -the story of my 100 marathons" is now available at bookshops around the country and online. As many of you are aware, in 2010 I became the first Australian woman to complete 100 marathons.

Now you can uncover all my secrets: how I train, why I run so many marathons, which have been my favourite races and what I have learned along the way. I came from a totally non- athletic background but I discovered that marathon running was something I truly love. This is an inspirational tale and I hope you will enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

You can find more details on the publisher's website at http://www.melbournebooks.com.au and it is possible to mail order the book here. If you have any problems trying to obtain a copy feel free to let me know by email at passionfordistance@hotmail.com or PM me and I can sell to you directly.

Julia Thorn

Edited by 42junkie, 27 July 2011 - 12:56 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

Julia - I have moved your post to a separate topic, rather than have "adverts" scattered throughout the site.

#3 42junkie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

Thanks Kevin. I thought my book deserved some attention. There are not many running books about Australian runners and written by Australian females. Could be a Mothers Day gift?

#4 1409th

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

Julia

I read your book recently and thought it was a very good read.

Great to see the drive you have and that inspires others myself included.

It's also good to see someone "madder than yourself" and gladly I point you out when others are dizzied by the imaginary heights of my 15 marathons. Someone has to the redefine the set point.

I look forward to your next book "my second hundred marathons."

Good luck with your running.

1409th

#5 TRAVY

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

I am a bit busy at the moment . This fortnight I am finalizing things for the launch of the Shepparton Marathon event 2011.

Congrats on the FIRST 100  :im Not Worthy:

#6 undercover brother

horny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,254 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

i can't wait for kelvin's book to come out.
200 ultras.
and lost in every one of them.

#7 42junkie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

Thanks guys. Great to get positive feedback on my "Passion for Distance". One of the Coburg support crew picked it up at the weekend and I thought he was going to read the whole book before he gave it back. And he wasn't even a runner.

Julia Thorn

Edited by 42junkie, 19 April 2011 - 10:15 AM.

#8 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

I was lucky enough to get a signed copy from Julia at Coburg. A very nice and easy read. Congratulations on both your 100 marathons and the book Julia. :good:

#9 KevinCassidy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

Ditto what Horrie said.  Easy and enjoyable reading indeed.

#10 Kelvin

Too busy running to think of a witty title !

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

View Postundercover brother, on 13 April 2011 - 08:19 PM, said:

i can't wait for kelvin's book to come out.
200 ultras.
and lost in every one of them.

UCB,
Closest you're ever likely to get is this bookwhere i am one of the people interviewed, but personally i take my hat off to Julia in that she is able not only to run 100 Marathons but to write well about them, me i think i'd need a ghost writer who was able to blend into the scenery like the camera crews in some of those supposed survival documentaries and follow me for wrong turn after wrong turn and describe my reactions :Hypnotized: ,
Kelvin

#11 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

Well done Julia.  Look forward to reading it.

Phil

#12 sammo72

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

Since receiving my signed copy from Julia last week, I have been unable to put it down and have read it already.

Wow, what an inspirational journey.

Highly recommend all runners read this book and gain an insight into an amazing woman :yahoo:

#13 shaunh

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

Just ordered mine now. Looking forward to reading it and hopefully it will help with the motivation factor heading into winter.

#14 42junkie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

Thanks guys for your continuing support. It gibes me a lovely warm glow to feel I can have inspired someone to join in a sport that I love.

#15 Arfadent

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

Just finished Julia's book and thoroughly enjoyed it too. Highly recommended to all.
After reading 'The Messengers' (another book about 100+ Marathoners) and now Julia's book, I am so inspired to run more and more Marathons. 12 down, 88 to go.

I've just passed my copy on to Sally, the runner who Julia mentions in her recounting of the Pichi Richi Marathon in SA. I think she was a bit chuffed to get a mention in the book.

Thanks for a great read Julia and good luck for your current 10 in 10 project.

Arfa,

#16 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:24 PM

I have just aranged to get my signed copy ffom Julia. A great lady and an inspirtaion to many. I look forward to the read.

I can assure you the journey to 100 marathons does take sometime but it provides some wonderful memories, you meet some great people and have some unforgetable experiences.

#17 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:30 PM

I just sent off a cheque to buy 4 books.  No their not all for me . Julia is almost an honorary member at Shepparton. Julia check your mail box . I can not wait to sink my teeth into it.

#18 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

Congratulations Julia!!!

I met you a few years ago at an Adelaide marathon, while you were writing for Runner's World. I thought something like this was on the cards at the time! Looking forward to reading it. There is a serious shortage of writing from women long-distance runners.

:)

#19 aysmith

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hi Julia, did I see you in the Perth marathon this year? Did you happen to drop of any nooks to runners world or the marathon club we can buy if it was you? Just found this thread and sounds like a great read.

#20 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:14 PM

I am only half way through Julia's book "Passion for distance". I can relate to so many things mentioned in the book. I do have one question.
Julia and I run a similar pace on a lot of races and experience the same hang ups with fatigue and mind games. As someone who will never run a sub-3 hour race. Do people who run sub-3 hour marathons experience the same pain and emotional mind games that Julia described in the chapter "when the going gets tough" ?Is running a sub-3 hour marathon easier because you are out ther longer or is it harder because you have run faster.

Fantastic read so far Julia  :im Not Worthy:

#21 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

I just received my copy in the letterbox. Looking forward to reading it. My total collection of books from female Aussie runners is now three, Raelene Boyle and Heather Turland being the other two.

Edited by crowpower, 11 July 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#22 chariotlegs

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

:good: Great Book. Have just reached the final chapter. Would highly recommend.

#23 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

Just finished the book  :Star:  :Star:  :Star:

#24 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

View PostTRAVY, on 06 July 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

I am only half way through Julia's book "Passion for distance". I can relate to so many things mentioned in the book. I do have one question.
Julia and I run a similar pace on a lot of races and experience the same hang ups with fatigue and mind games. As someone who will never run a sub-3 hour race. Do people who run sub-3 hour marathons experience the same pain and emotional mind games that Julia described in the chapter "when the going gets tough" ?Is running a sub-3 hour marathon easier because you are out ther longer or is it harder because you have run faster.

Fantastic read so far Julia  :im Not Worthy:
I only had time to read the introduction before going out. I can tell I'm going to really enjoy Julia's book. I guess I'm qualified to answer your question Travy, but I'd rather read that chapter when I get to it instead of out of sequence.

However, having run quite a few marathons now at your pace, I can tell you I'd rather run "fast" and get them over with. I don't think speed has much to do with it. One thing that amazes me is that the 20 mile "wall" is pretty well universal whether you're Deek reaching it in 1:38, sub-3 hours reaching it in 2:10 or 4:30 reaching it in 3:15.

I'll comment further when I reach that chapter.

#25 crowpower

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

View PostTRAVY, on 06 July 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

Do people who run sub-3 hour marathons experience the same pain and emotional mind games that Julia described in the chapter "when the going gets tough" ?Is running a sub-3 hour marathon easier because you are out ther longer or is it harder because you have run faster.
I've now read that chapter. I think the answer depends on where people are coming from. In my case athletics replaced football as a sport in my mid-20s because I could do it better. I have never had a problem getting to the 30km mark in marathons, even now, and I invariably think "just a City-Bay to the end" and if my time at that point was satisfactory then I'd usually get through. If my time wasn't satisfactory then I'd be going through much the same as Julia. As I said before, it's easier running sub 3 hours because it's over more quickly. Even at my worst I'd still be able to shuffle sub 5 minute k's. That was prior to 1996. Since then it's mainly all physical because the time doesn't matter much any more.

I'm loving Julia's book and can relate to pretty well everything she writes about, except perhaps motel fridges. Never occurred to me before - noisy air conditioners, yes! I've run in a couple of Julia's marathons and finished after her. While Adelaide 2001 was a spectator's nightmare I can assure her that 1987 was worse! Gold Coast 2004, loved the trip but not the last 17km of the marathon.

#26 MsMook

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:50 PM

Mine is on it's way-can't wait to read it!

Regards
MsMook

#27 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

Julia is a wonderful person who will admit she is not fast and at one stage early in life would have considered herself anything but a runner. However she has proven that is not the case she is a runner and one tough one at that.

She set out about 12 weeks ago to run 10 marathons in 10 weeks and I was privileged to run in 3 of them with her. Well we were in the same event but ran our own races. She even finished before me in one.

She completed all ten as planned with the last one being the Hunter Valley a few weeks ago.

Congratulations. If you are running in the same marathon as her make sure you have a chat.

She is a real legend :Applause:

Edited by Eagle, 27 July 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#28 cakeboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Congratulations Julia; a great achievement. I heard them annoucne your name recently in the Phuket marathon (at the start). Just wondering how your race went and how you would rate this marathon compared to others you have done...I came home in 5:06 after walking a lot due to overheating badly....ie I found it very tough to say the least.

Will have to get a hold of the book.

cheers Dave

#29 42junkie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

My experience at Phuket this year was wholly positive, and I finished in 5:24 which I was very pleased with. I had run this marathon before (and without wanting to blatantly advertise, there is a whole chapter in my book devoted to my horrific experience there in 2006) and I went into it with great apprehension. But forewarned is forearmed and I did not suffer so much with the heat and humidity. I walked a lot, but everyone around me was walking too so that made it easier to handle. I would actually consider going there again, but yes it is a tough day.

#30 shaunh

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

Hi Julia, I have just managed to finish your book a couple of minutes ago. A great read. I guess its true more you do the more you want to do ? I thought I would be content at stopping at 2 but am training for number 4 now and plan to keep going ,no chance of me reaching 100, although you should never say never. Those marathon maniacs in the states sound crazy. how many marathons did they have to get there 8 stars ?   :im Not Worthy:

#31 russell2pi

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:11 PM

View Postcrowpower, on 11 July 2011 - 10:20 PM, said:

However, having run quite a few marathons now at your pace, I can tell you I'd rather run "fast" and get them over with. I don't think speed has much to do with it. One thing that amazes me is that the 20 mile "wall" is pretty well universal whether you're Deek reaching it in 1:38, sub-3 hours reaching it in 2:10 or 4:30 reaching it in 3:15.

Thanks -- you answered a question I've been wondering about recently but hadn't got around to asking!

Research shows the energy cost of running per km is almost unrelated to running speed (and in fact decreases slightly with increasing speed) so it makes sense given the finite glycogen reserves that "the wall" sits in the same spot regardless of speed (presumably, up until lactate threshold is reached). But when comparing one runner to another this doesn't necessarily follow (variations in running economy and glycogen stores)-- so to hear from you that this actually does happen is interesting.