44 replies to this topic

#1 Bernadette

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

Just a heads-up for your training programmes, dear trail runners. After 6 Inch, when you're wondering how to stay fit through summer....

And a chance to work over others in your life - your partner, kids, parents, your less-active-but-easily-coerced friends into trying trail running, as well.

http://www.perthtrailseries.com/

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 loubee

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:28 PM

Looks fantastic, just the series I need to get me onto the trails. Looking forward to it.

#3 cappy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

Same here. Excellent

#4 geoffa

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

I think I've subscribed - I'll check in a while! Great idea.

#5 Bernadette

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

Really pleased to see that with my initial launch, this is achieving the first goal I hoped for - I'm receiving interest via the sign-up from people I've never heard of. I hope to make this series, as I've written elsewhere, a great way to introduce new people to the sport (without having to commit to an ultra for your first outing!). And a way for the trained up "Geoffa's" out there to have a little hard-core fun keeping up some speed through the summer.

Will keep in touch more with those on the email list as details unfold - setting locations and dates, etc.

cheers,
b

#6 RIC330

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

View PostBernadette, on 07 May 2011 - 10:54 PM, said:

Really pleased to see that with my initial launch, this is achieving the first goal I hoped for - I'm receiving interest via the sign-up from people I've never heard of. I hope to make this series, as I've written elsewhere, a great way to introduce new people to the sport (without having to commit to an ultra for your first outing!). And a way for the trained up "Geoffa's" out there to have a little hard-core fun keeping up some speed through the summer.

Will keep in touch more with those on the email list as details unfold - setting locations and dates, etc.

cheers,
b

Bernadette

I am one of those to sign up. I have just started running off road so looking forward to this series.

Cheers
Paul

#7 trailblazer777

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:49 PM

:)

#8 mynameisnoone

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

Sounds great!

What do we do until Summer though?!?!

#9 Bernadette

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

(deleted text)

Edited by Bernadette, 28 March 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#10 spookie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

Hi there,

I am interested in trail running..... (having done the Anaconda last year and hoping to do the 24 k trail run for the Mainpeak event in September, I am in serious need of some experience and training.  I have been road running only for the past few years with the occasional cross country thrown in.

Do you have further info regarding trail running in Perth.

Thanks a million.

Silke

#11 dirky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hi there,

Great news, been waiting for something like this.
Also just started trail running, and love it.

Hey Silke, check out the King of the Mountain 16km trail run. Its on in a few weeks.

:)

#12 cappy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

How's the planning going for this Bernadette?

#13 Macey

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

Excellent idea!

#14 ARconvert

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

Fantastic, been hoping for events such as this to crop up at some stage!!!

Have you sent details to adventurerace.com.au for addition to thier calendar, they list all off road events around Australia!

Coud be worthwhile letting Banzai (Yahoo7) know to.

Brett

View PostBernadette, on 06 May 2011 - 10:52 PM, said:

Just a heads-up for your training programmes, dear trail runners. After 6 Inch, when you're wondering how to stay fit through summer....

And a chance to work over others in your life - your partner, kids, parents, your less-active-but-easily-coerced friends into trying trail running, as well.

http://www.perthtrailseries.com/

#15 ARconvert

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

View Postspookie, on 24 May 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

hoping to do the 24 k trail run for the Mainpeak event in September, I am in serious need of some experience and training.  

Silke, I took a drive out there last weekend to check out the riding sections as well as the start of the 24km trail run.....take my advice and do LOTS of hills training, the distances for this race do not do justice to how difficult it will be.

I organised a team and had so much interest I had more than enough to fill the team spots so in a moment of madness entered as a solo. I am now madly upping my distances in training and seeking out all my local hills :)

#16 Bernadette

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:18 PM

Hi guys. Really nice to see a lot of interest in this - that's why it was created, after all :) I've got 50 people signed up on the mailing list already. I must make a note to subscribe myself to this thread. I have not been checking in at all! Sorry!

So, an update, as requested (not worth clogging people's inboxes with Mail Chimp just yet) -

-We've been reconning routes (even today I was out at Serpentine clocking up 43k and 1100 mtrs checking out options). I'd like at least half the races to have two options - shorter/flatter vs longer/hillier.

-I'm writing up the permit applications now

-I think I've sorted a complicated but fair points allocation system

-We've got 3 great sponsors on board already. Basically, everyone I've asked has been keen. Mainpeak (and you've seen their new Multisport event - they're definitely into trails/AR), Udo's Oil (can't guarantee it's all you need to run like Krupicka or Jurek, though), and The Running Centre.

-We're working on a logo and slogan so that we can get shirts printed (man, that creative stuff is hard! I'm just a runner!). Got an idea in the works now. I am considering a poll on a few ideas, but will probably just ask a few mates and then commit.

-We are also in very experimental stages with a chip-type timing system. Might be able to get something going before the Series hits.

I think that's about it.

There was also a question about where else to get training/what to do in the lead up. WAMC's King of the Mtn was mentioned. That's a great one, as it isn't very technical running and gives you a sense of how energy sapping running in pea gravel can be if you're only used to bitumen. In terms of local running, I'd definitely suggest getting on to some trails. Good examples not that far away include Bold Park (run the sand tracks in the middle, not just the limestoned Zamia path) and Eagle View trail in John Forrest NP. Getting involved with other trail-minded people can be very motivating. Our googlegroup was mentioned in an earlier post. There is also a WAMC Northern Suburbs Running Group that hits the Eagle View trail on some weekends and there's a "Hills group" that meets in Darlington to run various distances/paces. Caution with the "hills group" though. It doesn't mean they run "very hilly" stuff, it means that they meet and run "in the hills." It can be a great place to get started, but I'd strongly urge people to get off the Heritage Trail/Railway Reserves/Kep Track in order to run the Perth Trail Series. These trails will be more technical. Rocks, water ruts, and steep grades. All the fun things! I'm even toying with a night race now, so people can run with headlamps. It's a very cool thing racing others in the dark, seeing headlamps bobbing around in the bush.

I'm open to comments and suggestions about the Series - please feel free to PM me.

Thanks again for your interest.

Cheers,
b

#17 cappy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

Like the idea of two options in some races so the inexperienced trail runners like myself can adjust with less chance of injury (?) or less chance of turning ourselves off the discipline, while still allowing the experienced runners to have a challenging hit out in the harder race. Looking forward to it.

#18 Perthrunningbum

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

View Postspookie, on 24 May 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

Hi there,

I am interested in trail running..... (having done the Anaconda last year and hoping to do the 24 k trail run for the Mainpeak event in September, I am in serious need of some experience and training.  I have been road running only for the past few years with the occasional cross country thrown in.

Do you have further info regarding trail running in Perth.

Thanks a million.

Silke
Hi Spookie

come and join the trail runners of Perth go to:

http://groups.google...rthtrailrunners

#19 Bernadette

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

Course descriptions for all events are now up on the website. I see this forum as a great place for trail runners to arrange group trail runs, to talk about gear specific to these events, and to arrange things like carpooling in advance of race day.

#20 Bernadette

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:28 AM

Entries now open for the full series only:

https://www.register...er.aspx?ID=4867

Entries for individual events is expected to begin after 19 November 2011

#21 doddsy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:45 AM

The Perth series looks great and as I am moving to Perth in January I am glad to know that something like this is available to me.  It is also going to be a great way to get me and my family out to see stuff outside of Perth on a weekend.  I love trail running and am currently running my second Running Wild season.  

I only have one point to make really: I am a member of 2 clubs here in NSW and the biggest draw I find is to sign up for a full series as it is cheaper than individual entries and as a result of this I feel more inclined to go to events hence I haven't missed a single club race except when I've been overseas.  I do think that what you are asking for is quite pricey in terms of buying a full race pack you don't benefit from the small discount.  How it works here in the Running Wild club is you pay $40 membership and then for each small race you pay $10 and for longer races i think up to a $20 discount (50% cheaper than non-membership runners for shorter races) and you get a Running Wild series shirt as well.

Anyways I don't want this to sound negative I am just curious coming off some much cheaper trail running and club races. I look forward to these events and meeting a group of like minded people and would love to volunteer my time in helping at some point.

cheers

Doddsy

#22 loubee

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

View Postdoddsy, on 01 November 2011 - 05:45 AM, said:

The Perth series looks great and as I am moving to Perth in January I am glad to know that something like this is available to me.  It is also going to be a great way to get me and my family out to see stuff outside of Perth on a weekend.

I only have one point to make really: I am a member of 2 clubs here in NSW and the biggest draw I find is to sign up for a full series as it is cheaper than individual entries and as a result of this I feel more inclined to go to events hence I haven't missed a single club race except when I've been overseas.  I do think that what you are asking for is quite pricey in terms of buying a full race pack you don't benefit from the small discount.  
Doddsy
Welcome to Perth Doddsy, everything will be more expensive here in the Wild West, this is just the beginning.

As for the Perth Trail Series I'm happy to pay more in it's inaugural year to ensure all costs are covered and thus become a permanent fixture on the Perth Running Calendar. Perhaps in 2013 the cost will be reviewed, lowered and/or more offered. The WAMC runs the majority of road races in Perth and these are very cheap and excellently well run.

#23 geoffa

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

View Postloubee, on 01 November 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

Welcome to Perth Doddsy, everything will be more expensive here in the Wild West, this is just the beginning.

As for the Perth Trail Series I'm happy to pay more in it's inaugural year to ensure all costs are covered and thus become a permanent fixture on the Perth Running Calendar. Perhaps in 2013 the cost will be reviewed, lowered and/or more offered. The WAMC runs the majority of road races in Perth and these are very cheap and excellently well run.

Perth is a little bit closer to Durban as well Doddsy, but you won't save any money on plane flights!

#24 DaiRees

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

Hi all
Just moved in to my new home in Perth and signed up for the trail series. I've moved over here from Sydney and loved the NSW trail classics KOM and W2B so looking forward to some good WA trails. Is anyone going out on the trails in December before this starts? Planning on checking out the next couple of WAMC runs at Burswood and Deepwater point to keep the legs ticking over and they're nice and close. Any other good recommendations for some WA classic runs after the trail series? 21km - 42km is all good for me.

#25 loubee

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

Welcome to Perth. Depending on your fitness you might be interested in the 6 Inch Marathon www.6inchtrailmarathon.com.au.

#26 trailblazer777

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

6inchtrailmarathon.com is 46km and a 6 foot qualifying race. I was up at katoomba with just over a dozen from perth doing 6 foot this year. The darlington group meets saturdays owen rd 6am comrades and marathon aspirants lots of wamc people there also there is a google group perth trail runners email me and i can send details many of the pts courses r run by people in this group. also 6 inch recon runs every weekend until 6 inch on december 19th

#27 trailblazer777

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

maybe someone else can post the google groups url

#28 rgvlee

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Looks like registrations for the first event, stay puft yanchep national park, close today. I'm in for the short course. Haven't done trails before. Not sure how I'll go but I am sure I will have fun!

#29 loubee

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

View Postrgvlee, on 03 January 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

Looks like registrations for the first event, stay puft yanchep national park, close today. I'm in for the short course. Haven't done trails before. Not sure how I'll go but I am sure I will have fun!
Just got mine in for the first run. Not committing to the series just yet, lots of races to be had this year and don't want to upset the husband too early in the year.

#30 FlyingFossil

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

Anyone want a free entry for this weekend?  I just found I cannot run and the organisers have refused a transfer. Rather than put $50 down the dunny message me and I will send you my receipt

---Ian---

#31 Bernadette

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

View PostFlyingFossil, on 10 January 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Anyone want a free entry for this weekend?  I just found I cannot run and the organisers have refused a transfer. Rather than put $50 down the dunny message me and I will send you my receipt

---Ian---

The policies in regards to cancellations and refunds are in the waiver when registering and also in the FAQ online now. Although exceptions are sometimes granted (e.g., injured but able to volunteer), generally, no refunds take place within 2 weeks of the event.

On some occasions, entries can be transferred to another event, but this is at RD discretion (e.g., injury) and depends also on how close it is to race day and how much availability there is in subsequent events.

Under no circumstances can someone run with the bib assigned to another person. This is a safety issue, as one identity is attached to each bib.

I am sorry for those who get caught out at times like this and no satisfactory option is available. I, too, have been caught this way as a racer.

#32 FlyingFossil

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

Bernadette thanks for your mail and for arranging a transfer. Glad someone else got a run today!

#33 BarefootGrasshopper

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

Great race today. Hard, hot and hilly. My friend took a few photos (just over 1200!!) because he likes taking photos when not racing.  
http://www.austram.c...chep/index.html
Enjoy!

#34 RIC330

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

Great event. Thanks to Bernadette for organising. Hoping this series will become an ongoing part of WA's running calendar.

#35 mynameisnoone

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

Awesome event. Thanks to all involved.

Siya in a fortnight!

#36 loubee

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

Hot humid and sandy! Have to say that today was a big struggle, never really showed up ready to race and as a result I pottered about the course and really found it hard going. Might give the next one a miss and enjy pounding the pavement for an extra week or two.

Thanks to the volunteers and organisation, very well run. Might see y'all at number 3.

#37 Jodieck

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostBarefootGrasshopper, on 15 January 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

Great race today. Hard, hot and hilly. My friend took a few photos (just over 1200!!) because he likes taking photos when not racing.  
http://www.austram.c...chep/index.html
Enjoy!

Magnificent photos, I really appreciate his work I was expecting to have to pay to get a photo so was pleasantly surprised.  I will think about how I pose in future though!!  Awesome job.  

Thanks again,
J

#38 Stephan

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Thanks Bernadette, photo's are a good addition! Hopefully the weather will be a bit more sympathetic for the next one :)

#39 Brenda

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Just wanted to say I loved the event and look forward to the transition form the road to the trail.
Bernadette, Great job and thanks to all the volunteers and congratulations to the athletes :)
Thanks
Brenda :)

#40 mynameisnoone

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

It was a first trail run for me and it absolutely blew me away.

In hindsight I was incredibly naive in my expectations of the trail v the road.

Eased in with the short run, but now I'm desperately trying to rearrange my calendar so I can hit the remaining runs.

Looking forward to Walygrunta!

#41 RIC330

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Another great trail run this morning, not as hot as predicted earlier in the week. This is a great series - well organised, great locations and friendly bunch of runners. Looking forward to the remaining races.

#42 mynameisnoone

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Absolutely agree Ric.

Another great effort. Another great event.

BTW the pics are great.

#43 Brenda

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

Well done Brenadette, another great well organised event.
Not so hot and loved the challenge!

See you in two weeks
Brenda

#44 rgvlee

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Bernadette emailed out last night asking if there is any interest for a short course for the upcoming Qi Gong race.

She's looking at including a shorter ~8k +100mtr for those that aren't keen on the 14.1k +440mtrs. If you are interested email her at bernadette@perthtrailseries.com

If the short course race goes ahead I will be doing it.

#45 TheHardYards

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

Sounds like a great series and I wish I had found this earlier! I'll be away for the last race aswell so i'll be keeping an ear out for the 2013 season for sure!
Congrats on what sounds like a very successful series!