130 replies to this topic

#1 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

Entries for the 2011 Mt Wilson to Bilpin Bush Run (Willy2Billy) are now open. You can enter via the run website www.bilpinbushrun.com.au/register_interest.htm. We are looking forward to seeing some familiar faces again this year. Good luck everyone.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 TheLogicDump

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

Looking forward to running this for the first time this year. But I was just wondering is there any cap on the number of runners able to participate? Just don't want to miss out because it fills up early.

#3 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

BooHoo!! Clashes with TrailWalker this year   :(

Well I guess you could run both with TW being on a Friday.......

#4 djbleakman

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

View PostSlowManiac, on 18 May 2011 - 11:26 AM, said:

BooHoo!! Clashes with TrailWalker this year   :(

Well I guess you could run both with TW being on a Friday.......

You sure you'll be finished TW in time? Recent performances suggest that might be a struggle...

#5 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:17 PM

We are all allowed one bad race, except you who is allowed five or six.

#6 dickyboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

View PostTheLogicDump, on 18 May 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:

But I was just wondering is there any cap on the number of runners able to participate? Just don't want to miss out because it fills up early.

Per website :
The event is open to all individual runners who are satisfactorily trained to safely complete this grueling 35kms.
Individual entries close by mail 12th August or online Friday 26th August 2011 at 5pm. Late entries will be taken on the day at the start line, ie @ Mt Wilson.

Suggests no limit.

#7 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

View Postdickyboy, on 18 May 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

Per website :
The event is open to all individual runners who are satisfactorily trained to safely complete this grueling 35kms.
Individual entries close by mail 12th August or online Friday 26th August 2011 at 5pm. Late entries will be taken on the day at the start line, ie @ Mt Wilson.

Suggests no limit.

There's never been a limit in the past as far as I know. I've entered on the day before. This is a must do race though. Awesome people run it, awesome people at the aid stations - plus its a great course to test yourself on too. Lots of nice hills, and the finish is great.

#8 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Please Bleakman, you only go for the scones at the start, nothing about testing yourself.

Well maybe testing how many scones you can eat and by the looks of it the answer is quite a few.

#9 Koala1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

Would love to be there for this, but not sure I can make it this year, as have other things on.  Will see how things go and if things change, might be a late entrant.

I will echo what others say - its a great run.  Can be a little chilly at the start, but well worth it.

#10 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostTheLogicDump, on 18 May 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:

Looking forward to running this for the first time this year. But I was just wondering is there any cap on the number of runners able to participate? Just don't want to miss out because it fills up early.

In the past years we have had up to 300 entrants and would not consider a cap until we had reached more than 400 runners.... Perhaps we might build up to that number over coming years and will address a cap at that stage..... Hope to see you on the day...

#11 sammo72

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

Being new to this scene, can someone put the course profile into perspective for me.

vs FFFTM or W2G.

Or am I in for another rough trip... :shok:

Thankyou.

#12 halfwaydown

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

View Postsammo72, on 18 May 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

Being new to this scene, can someone put the course profile into perspective for me.

Sammo, It is a fantastic course (one of my favourites) with a bit of everything trail thrown in.
First Few kms are rolling hills mostly on fire trail - they can roll quite steep but not too long - there is a bit of single trail and a bit of paddock.  There then follows a serene stretch of tarmac for a couple of km through the rainforest/shaded side of Mount Irvine before the big descent (7km?) down to Bowens Creek. It's fire trail and a consistent gradient but the surface can be fairly stoney in places so reasonably hard on the ankles.  There's great views into this ravine both on the descent .. and on the ascent back up the other side.  The ascent itself is some 6km of 'gentle' uphill - comfortable to run up were it not 26km into the race.
Once at the top, its a 1km sprint to the finish line.
Great variety, well organised, worthy cause, good vibes and the best bush showers (puts FFFTM freezin cold ones to shame).
If you fall over 3 times like I did last year and remove all the skin on your knees it might be considered 'rough' but mate, You've done Mount Solitary 25km in the mud and rain.

#13 WallyGator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

I'm in for the 3rd year running.  Hope to qualify for 6 foot again.  Got under the current qual time in 2009, but missed it by a couple of minutes last year.

#14 doddsy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

Spewing!!!

This was my first trail run last year and I loved got me hooked on trail running it is such a great track and so super friendly all the way along from racers,aid stations, spectators warm showers at the end unreal. I found it was a great race as a taster to trail running and really want to go back and see what I would run this year but I'll ahve to save it for next.

Unfortunately my brother is planning on doing his first marathon in perth the same day so I will be over there running with him, however if for some reason he decides not to run I will be there for sure. I also miss out on the Pub 2 Pub the next day.

Anyone who is thinking about doign it must, Sammo if you di the mt solitary ultra you'll love this one, 35km of bush sprinting(i use that very sarcastically)

Doddsy

#15 SlowManiac

The Running Chimp

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

Hmmm so you could do TW, W2B and P2P on consecutives days.......

Would need to be keen!

#16 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

Who cares bout the profile?

The real competition is the number of Scones you can stuff before the start of the race.
Rumor has it DJBleakman ate 17 and half scones right up to the minute before the gun went off. And with the extra 4 kgs he put on prior to the start, he still managed to beat me by 90 seconds...!!Posted Image

#17 stephenJ

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

havent done this before, looks good though...and starts at 10am so I can drive up on the day!

#18 JustinL

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

Really enjoyed this event last year. Has a great community feel to it and yep, those scones are fantastic.

The section down to the creek is good running, one of the most enjoyable sections of all the events/courses I have run.

#19 TheLogicDump

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

View PostWilly2BillySecretary, on 18 May 2011 - 02:58 PM, said:

In the past years we have had up to 300 entrants and would not consider a cap until we had reached more than 400 runners.... Perhaps we might build up to that number over coming years and will address a cap at that stage..... Hope to see you on the day...
Awesome, looking forward to this.

#20 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

Unfortunately I will miss this great event for the first time in 8 years. It is a shame it is on the day after Trailwalker as it is usually the week before. Technically you could do TW, W2B and P2P in consecutive days but the quick turnaround between the first 2 would be quite daunting as you wouldn't get much sleep between events.

#21 Hallac

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

vs FFFTM or W2G.

Thankyou.

Sammo

Take some of the short sharp hills from the first half of W2G and there are 4 or 5 of these over the first dozen kms of the W2B. Then reasonably flat until about 20kms, followed by long runnable downhill and long runable uphill - well, I'm hoping to run it at the third attempt :) - so more difficult that W2G which is very easy from the half way point, W2B you are climbing from about 26/27k to about 33+ kms.

One of my favourite runs even though I've vomited after both the previous occasions - will try not to make it a hat-trick this year!

Andy

#22 flyingemu

it's Sir emu to you...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:02 AM

vs FFFTM or W2G.

Thankyou.
the roughest part of this race is the wait in the cold at the start, especially if it doesn't start on time. then, if you pace yourself well, you can pass 50 people by running the hill at the end. a lot of people love this race, i think it's average (but will do it again anyway).

#23 djbleakman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

View Postbuzzlightyear, on 19 May 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

Who cares bout the profile?

The real competition is the number of Scones you can stuff before the start of the race.
Rumor has it DJBleakman ate 17 and half scones right up to the minute before the gun went off. And with the extra 4 kgs he put on prior to the start, he still managed to beat me by 90 seconds...!!Posted Image

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story hey Keith?

- My body is a temple, no scone passes my mouth before the race. I am fuelled by sausage rolls (pork ones, not the disgusting beef ones that Aussies seem to eat over here)
- I beat you by 3 minutes, not 90 seconds. Based on my average of doubling my winning margin, this year will be 6 minutes.
- Never listen to me if I say I'm stopping at the next drinks station for a quick cup of water

This race is not average, it is excellent, for a fantastic cause and is run through some of the most stunning National Park in the World - you guys are very lucky to have it.

#24 halfwaydown

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

View Postdjbleakman, on 20 May 2011 - 07:33 AM, said:

This race is not average, it is excellent, for a fantastic cause and is run through some of the most stunning National Park in the World - you guys are very lucky to have it.

Yes... but the scones are average.

#25 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

Cracking run, one of the best in Sydney, I plan to be there. TW/W2B double.

#26 flyingemu

it's Sir emu to you...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:50 AM

View Postdjbleakman, on 20 May 2011 - 07:33 AM, said:

It also has considerable tarmac sections and finishes next to a main road. Great bush + boring road = average. IMHO.

#27 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

View Postflyingemu, on 20 May 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

It also has considerable tarmac sections and finishes next to a main road. Great bush + boring road = average. IMHO.
Add in the free hot showers and BBQ at the end it makes for one great race.
If I can get it passed the wife I might try the TW/W2B double but the chance are very slim.

#28 cazzy1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

If I can get it passed the wife I might try the TW/W2B double but the chance are very slim.
[/quote]

Very sick!!

I'm in for this one??

#29 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

View PostBrick, on 20 May 2011 - 08:59 AM, said:

Add in the free hot showers and BBQ at the end it makes for one great race.

If you can successfully negotiate this with Kelly, I might ask you to do the same for me with BlueBel. ;)

#30 Running Angel

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

Given my DNF last year when I had a bad fall on the downhill section to the creek I will have to come back this year!

:Angel:

#31 Hallac

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

Entered and raring to go for W2B no 3

#32 walshy2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

Look forward to being there again this year after missing last year

Really well organised and laid back event

#33 Bunyip

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hope to do this one for the second time after missing last year.
Will do the 25km Canberra Bush Marathon as a warm up to this event.
Really enjoyed this run last time and is definitely my favourite run to do. It is a very well run race, and the small number of entrants mixed with the little things such as scones and high quality volunteers makes this event the best. And there is a great community feeling amongst the runners which to me is what its all about.

#34 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

With just over six weeks to go before race day the organisers have been out checking the track (high winds brought down a number of trees) but all is well and looking good for the 27th August. It looks like it is going to be a chilly start but the tea and scones will certainly warm you up.....

#35 runhard

I just love to run!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:17 AM

Will hopefully sign up for this one soon. Should be fun!

#36 slowmo

1000-club old-dated SlowRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

Being a late developer, I only did W2B for the first time in 2009 but I enjoyed it so much that it instantly went on to my list of must-do races. Had to miss last year for family reasons, so I'm really looking forward to it this year.

Actually, the 2009 race was the only event I've ever done where I wasn't the only person wearing huaraches. It obviously attracts a better class of runner.

slowmo

#37 doddsy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

I thought I was going to miss this event but my brother has realigned his priorities and would much rather be a jiu jitsu fighter than run a marathon so I will still be in sydney. Looking forward to this again. This was my first foray into trail running and one I will i am looking forward to repeating. Will be there for sure, Just got back into training after a 2 week lay off so will be ready and raring to go in for this I look forward to the great course and fantastic vollies.

#38 twolegs

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Does anyone remember what the entry fee was for the Willy to Billy last year?

#39 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

Two legs not sure butremember you are helping  the Bush Fire Brigade so you get a warm glow when you enter

#40 Bink78

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

Will be doing my first W2B this year, to hopefully qualify for the Six Foot in 2012  :rolleyes:   Am looking forward to it!

#41 gogirl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

I'm in for this one as well. Hoping I have recovered in time after Caboolture and it will be good to get a few hills in before Glasshouse. Must stop at the apple place again too.

#42 WallyGator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

View Postgogirl, on 26 July 2011 - 10:49 AM, said:

I'm in for this one as well. Hoping I have recovered in time after Caboolture and it will be good to get a few hills in before Glasshouse. Must stop at the apple place again too.
Yes, an apple pie from the place on the right when heading back to Sydney is a must.  Last year it was still hot.  Yummy. and all for under $10.

#43 KiwiShazza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

Scones and apple pie!!  I'm down for this one!

And if we don't make the end, presume we are swept up by some hunky firies!  (Are the bush ones hunky like the normal firies?)

#44 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

Don't forget to include details of your previously completed Willy2Billy's on this year's application as runners who have completed 5, 10 or 15 runs receive exclusive Willy2Billy merchandise ...........

#45 WallyGator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

View PostKiwiShazza, on 26 July 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

And if we don't make the end, presume we are swept up by some hunky firies!  (Are the bush ones hunky like the normal firies?)
Not sure about Bilpin and Mount Wilson, but they are in my Brigade.  :Big Grin:

#46 flyingemu

it's Sir emu to you...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

View PostWallyGator, on 27 July 2011 - 02:07 PM, said:

Not sure about Bilpin and Mount Wilson, but they are in my Brigade.  :Big Grin:
you misread, Wally. She said "hunky", not "chunky". :p

#47 DaiRees

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

Looking forward to this race too.
Saw the banter above but I've not done W2G so as an alternative point of reference how does W2B compare to KOM in Shoalhaven. I came in just under 3 hours on my offical race time on my first time out this year but I think my running timing was abot 2:45 if the photo and rum stops are excluded. Loved that run and didn't find it too bad so hoping this isn't a killer but the 4hr qualifying time for 6ft suggests to me this could be quite tough. Am I goning to need more than another run up Heartbreak Hill in C2S to see me through this one?

#48 WallyGator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

View Postflyingemu, on 27 July 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

you misread, Wally. She said "hunky", not "chunky". :p
Partly due to the lovely Bilpin apple pies.  :D

#49 KiwiShazza

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

"Hunky"  "Chunky" - it's all good when you get to my age!

Am SO looking forward to the apple pies!

#50 pacman

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

View PostBink78, on 26 July 2011 - 10:29 AM, said:

Will be doing my first W2B this year, to hopefully qualify for the Six Foot in 2012  :rolleyes:   Am looking forward to it!
Qualifying for the 6foot is the easy part, its so popular now the hard part is getting a start in the race, particularly if
you dont want to go on the waiting list