29 replies to this topic

#1 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:05 AM

Just a heads up for the upcoming Bellarine Rail Trail Run 2011 that will be held on Sunday Aug 21, 7 weeks from the Melbourne Marathon. The format remains mostly unchanged aside from those tweaks outlined below & it's still FREE!! All the details are on the website but some of the highlights include:

• The Running Company Geelong is our new major sponsor. There will be a free pair of shoes to be won on the day and all entrants can receive 10% off their next purchase in store once entered between July 1 and Oct 1. I personally highly recommend the free in store treadmill video analysis that is on offer that will get you in the right shoe (training or racing) to minimise injury risk. Find out why so many podiatrists are sending their patients in!
  • Spot Prizes: We have some great spot prizes including the above from The Running Company Geelong, 2 long SKINS running tights, R4YL magazine subscriptions & some great Steigen running gear.
  • R4YL Special Offer: 12 mth magazine subscription delivered to your door (new or renewal) for just $15!
  • Steam Train: The Bellarine Railway are onboard again and this year it will be one of their Steam Trains! And at a greatly subsidised price. The perfect way to get to the 17km start or for family & friends to come along. Please support this where you can or get family & friends along.

What's New:
  • The BRT Run is now on Facebook & Twitter! Join one or both for all the latest updates as we get closer to the event & for the chance to win spot prizes!
  • The course & registration set up has changed slightly from 2010. The one way 17km option is Drysdale to Queenscliff only & there will be a registration set up at Drysdale. Please check the Run Details section carefully for full registration details especially the preferred location.
  • No entries on the day! There is enough to do and if you can't register for a free run before the day then....!

Online entries will open early July and will be announced on the website and via Facebook & Twitter.

Happy running!

Cheers, Brett Coleman

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 russell2pi

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

Sounds like a nice run and a great prep for Melb Marathon. Do people mostly run at about their marathon pace?

#3 KiaKaha

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

i cant wait for this one going to go long this year and try not to be the last one home

Was brilliantly run last time

#4 DandyRunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

Count me in Brett. I remember this run from last year very well. We had great weather, and a perfect (near) flat course to blow some steam. See you there!  :drinks:

Cheers, Erwin

#5 BLUEBOY

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

really enjoyed this run last year, even though i am not running the Melb marathon,will be still recovering from the M7 marathon , i will come along , great weather last year and a friendly race.

#6 KiaKaha

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

im catching ferry over saturday and staying the night anyone suggest a really cheap place to stay in queenscliffe so i can walk to start

#7 Hurricane

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

This sounds like a good trail for a learner :)

#8 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

Just entered this great event. Will be my longest run in quite a while but great atmosphere for it.
There are over 200 entrants on the list.
A huge congrats to Brett for all the work he puts into this run. NO ENTRY fee for a supported and officially organised run of this size (despite not being a race) is truly amazing.

#9 KevinCassidy

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:50 PM

I "WAS" looking forward to this but injury has decreed that it is not possible. GRRRR

#10 rohan

rassum brassum msblsssl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

View PostWhippet Man, on 07 August 2011 - 09:36 PM, said:

(despite not being a race)
Yes it is.  Brett just says it isn't.

View PostHurricane, on 31 July 2011 - 01:04 PM, said:

This sounds like a good trail for a learner :)
It's a rail trail, not a trail in the sense used by trailrunners.

It is as technical as the tan, but the ambience is a whole lot more country/seaside.

#11 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

This is an awesome run and I would love to be doing it but due to a very busy year, I will have to give it a miss as I have also had to give many other races a miss recently.

Hope it turns out to be a great morning for you all.

#12 laotze

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

Yes, I am giving it a go again.  This time the 34 kilometres.  So that will complete the trifecta - 68km, 17km, and assuming I finish, 34km.

A happy medium hopefully.

#13 Digger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

This run is so good, and the best value for your entry fee on the planet, but again I get to miss it, because I can't fit it into my travel plans.

Maybe 2012 will see my re-appearance.

#14 BostonCalling

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

This is a fantastic event. Did it two years ago in prep for Melbourne Marathon. Unfortunately, same day as Sandy Point Half this year so will have to miss.

#15 rohan

rassum brassum msblsssl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Great day for it and thanks again to Brett Coleman for organizing this.

Lines up well with the 7am ferry from Sorrento arriving 7;50, then even got to take the 11am ferry back... that was involved a 'recovery' jog. (old man shuffle)

Apologies to the guy at the 10km aid station.  I hadn't done my usual flag on top and couldn't locate it, uttered "dammit", and hope he didn't think I was cursing him.
thanks to the guy who offered a drink, didn't see who it was as I went past.

Beautiful day on the Bellarine. Love that rural ambience.  Good to see so many familiar faces.

About 2;16;56 for me with a whole lot of cramping.... haven't run that far in since may.. and I felt it.

#16 Tony123

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

View Postrohan, on 21 August 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

About 2;16;56 for me with a whole lot of cramping.... haven't run that far in since may.. and I felt it.

Was that quick enough to win Rohan?

#17 rohan

rassum brassum msblsssl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:56 PM

No way.

Brett Coleman, Dan Hornery and a coupla others cruised past chatting, plus there was another running hack in boardies just ahead of me, but he looked like he had to work for it.

#18 Tony123

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:01 PM

Sounds like a strong field with some good runners.

#19 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

Great turn out. Great weather. Cruisy track. Longest run for me too in many months and I was at the absolute other end of the field.
Great effort by Brett and his volunteers to put this run on. And some great spot prizes as well.

#20 luckyguy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:56 AM

View PostWhippet Man, on 21 August 2011 - 11:18 PM, said:

Great turn out. Great weather. Cruisy track. Longest run for me too in many months and I was at the absolute other end of the field.
Great effort by Brett and his volunteers to put this run on. And some great spot prizes as well.

Yes, wasn't Mrs. Whippet a recipient of a spot prize..... ;)

Longest run for me since MM 2010 but ran strong and thoroughly enjoyed myself - interestingly my '09 & Sundays times were 13 seconds apart. Though I wasn't racing, just trying to maintain a steady marathon pace and came in spot on.

I think I prefer this out and back course. I like being able to see all the other runners (& friends) on the return leg. Passing the slower (no offence) 17 k'ers added a bit of fun and challenge. And of course the convenience of not having to travel back to 'A' to get the car. I would think it would also make it a lot easier for Brett and helpers with the organisation of this event - which by the way deserve huge plaudit's for putting this on once again. Well done.

#21 NeoBlueSky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:01 AM

View Postluckyguy, on 22 August 2011 - 08:56 AM, said:

Yes, wasn't Mrs. Whippet a recipient of a spot prize..... ;)

Longest run for me since MM 2010 but ran strong and thoroughly enjoyed myself - interestingly my '09 & Sundays times were 13 seconds apart. Though I wasn't racing, just trying to maintain a steady marathon pace and came in spot on.

I think I prefer this out and back course. I like being able to see all the other runners (& friends) on the return leg. Passing the slower (no offence) 17 k'ers added a bit of fun and challenge. And of course the convenience of not having to travel back to 'A' to get the car. I would think it would also make it a lot easier for Brett and helpers with the organisation of this event - which by the way deserve huge plaudit's for putting this on once again. Well done.

Yeap, I'd have to agree that this was a great event. Brett even managed to get the weather on his side. The track was good all the way. Very well done and a big thank you to Brett and of those who have contributed to the planing and organisation of the BRT run. I am already looking forward to next year.

Edited by NeoBlueSky, 22 August 2011 - 11:02 AM.

#22 DianeE

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

So happy to see you are out and running again

D.

#23 chilliman

Hot eater, Cool Trail Runner.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

View PostDianeE, on 22 August 2011 - 03:06 PM, said:

So happy to see you are out and running again

Sorry you weren't down there Diane, hope all is on the mend.

A nice run by the Trails+ gang, poor BrettC must have thought we'd entered a trailwalker team :LOL:

Posted Image

Chilli 2:47, CEOSaxon 3:11, Maggot 2:36, Narred 2:36.
Nice and relaxing this weekend after a tough one at the Tan 100  last weekend and the build up to it.

Great to catch up with the regulars, and a few CR's I hadn't seen for a while.

Fantastic weather, and as always a big well done to Brett C and his Vols for allowing this event to continue year after year !

#24 funky1

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

Had a great run yesterday.
2 years ago I managed to run it in 3:27 but got my time down to 2:51 this year, obviously with much more training.
Was pleasantly surprised with the time, given that I thought I'd be somewhere between 3:00-3:05.
Will definately be back again.

#25 shaken

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

An awesome day, one of the best runs I have done.

Did the 17kms and loved seeing the 34kms running towards and then past me. Awesome to see the pace they were going.

View Postrohan, on 21 August 2011 - 07:56 PM, said:

Brett Coleman, Dan Hornery and a coupla others cruised past chatting, plus there was another running hack in boardies just ahead of me, but he looked like he had to work for it.

The guy in the boardies was flying. While I envy his speed, I do not envy his chafing!

Very happy with my Olympic Park Physio voucher!

#26 RobHall

well who ever thought this would happen?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

Looks like CEO Saxon is getting back into the swing of things and Chilli backing up last weeks run.

Rohan, you must be devastated with only doing 4min/km, your getting older, supposed to be slowing down :D

#27 rohan

rassum brassum msblsssl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

View Postshaken, on 22 August 2011 - 09:39 PM, said:

The guy in the boardies was flying. While I envy his speed, I do not envy his chafing!
There are good running boardies and bad running boardies.  Most of mine are good, and I was running in conservative dark boardies too.  Last two seasons of boardies have had this new techy stretchy fabric which is really excellent for running in.  Did Trailwalker in some.
Better than official running shorts any day.

View PostRobHall, on 22 August 2011 - 10:16 PM, said:

Rohan, you must be devastated with only doing 4min/km, your getting older, supposed to be slowing down :D
I was slower than last year, unfortunately.

#28 Emrun

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:59 AM

I ran this one for the first time and I loved it, such a lovely spot and how lucky were we with the weather!

Time, meh, let's not go there, I needed to shake myself out of my post marathon malaise and get back to proper long runs, I've not done anything over 20km since Christchurch in June.  Although if I knew we were being timed I'd have stuffed around a little less at the drink stations!  I enjoyed the out and back aspect as I got to give a shout out to familiar faces making the return journey.

Some runners could do with a little slap on the wrist though, my running buddy and I noticed quite a few drink bottles discarded a very long way from the official drink stops.  Don't drop litter, it's things like this that will stop events like this going ahead in the future.

Looking forward to having another go next year.

Big Big thanks to Brett for organising this and to all the lovely friendly volunteers.

#29 BDC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

Thanks to all who made the trip down to the Bellarine Peninsula for the BRT Run on Sunday. 292 runners in total was a great turn out on a perfect day for running. I've finally managed to get all the times together and on the web here. The photos are here with more to come.

View PostEmrun, on 23 August 2011 - 07:59 AM, said:

Some runners could do with a little slap on the wrist though, my running buddy and I noticed quite a few drink bottles discarded a very long way from the official drink stops.  Don't drop litter, it's things like this that will stop events like this going ahead in the future.

I did run over the much of the trail today to check that it was all clean and was disappointed too by the number of bottles and gels discarded a long way from the aid stations & the bins. It's clean now!

Hope to see everyone again in 2012 for what will be a very similar set up. It's probably time to drop the "Fat Ass" tag now I think as we've strayed a long way from the origins of Phil Essam's 2004 inaugural run. So look out for the 2012 thread to be in a different section!

Cheers, Brett Coleman

#30 Deaky

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

View PostBDC, on 23 August 2011 - 11:00 PM, said:

Thanks to all who made the trip down to the Bellarine Peninsula for the BRT Run on Sunday. 292 runners in total was a great turn out on a perfect day for running. I've finally managed to get all the times together and on the web here. The photos are here with more to come.

I did run over the much of the trail today to check that it was all clean and was disappointed too by the number of bottles and gels discarded a long way from the aid stations & the bins. It's clean now!

Hope to see everyone again in 2012 for what will be a very similar set up. It's probably time to drop the "Fat Ass" tag now I think as we've strayed a long way from the origins of Phil Essam's 2004 inaugural run. So look out for the 2012 thread to be in a different section!

Cheers, Brett Coleman

I think i was one of those people. Sorry for any extra work needed by the volunteers.

The aid station at 10KM/24KM had a bunch of disposed bottles/gels further down the trail from where the designated bins were (about an extra 300 meters from the set of 'crates'), and I just dumped mine there.

I assume this happened because the distance between the station and the bins were a bit too close together for the people wanting to keep running while drinking?

In terms of other rubbish on the trail, i didnt notice too much other than the 500 meters directly after the aid stations.