C2S Times And Modern Training TechniquesNot even close...

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnnyboyrun

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

Was just having a look the the C2S winning times. You would think in the day of science perhaps someone would have got closer to low 40.xx and even break 40mins.. I know steve M & Rob D were exceptional athletes but i just find it interesting that no one has got close in this day and age.

Were they just that good?

Is this sports v science thing over rated?

How long before someone breaks 40mins?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Jimmy4990

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

Prestige is not all it's cracked up to be. I reckon the right amount of $'s would see 40 go pretty quick. Guys running 10k in 26:## & 27## are not going to take 13/14 minutes to run the next 4. In recent history a runner has gone under 60.30 in the Half marathon 346 times. I am thinking most of these performances would equal or better 40min C2S. 80,000 people paying $55 each & nothing going out in the way of appearance fee's or prizemoney. Nobody in their right mind would muck with that formula for the sake of seeing the record go;).

Edited by Jimmy4990, 13 June 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#3 Long Arms

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:21 PM

an interesting point you make jonnyboyrun. a) a guy like Ben St Lawrence ran the C2S in 2010 to win- not beat the race record;  b)you mentioned Deek and Monner- you have to remember that their 10km pbs don't touch Ben's national record, however they were great road runners and great on hills and the course probably suited them perfectly. c)It is often said that the course suits the half marathoners/marathoners best of all. It is obvious that our current crop of marathoners are not world class- the best Aussie runners are competing on the track- ie Jeff Hunt was ranked 178 in the world in marathon last year with his no.1 Australian ranked 2.11.00. When looking that the top guys run 2.03 these days Australia has a long way to bridge the marathon gap Deek and Monner were amongst the best in the world and road was their focus

I believe Australian running is currently at a better state than any time in history. With Risely, Gregson, St Lawrence, Roff, Birmingham and Mottram really shaking things up on the track and all well up in the top 40 in the world in recent years , we have not had a better era. They are in an extremely competitive forum.

#4 johnnyboyrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Cheers guys. Interesting!!

#5 superflake

Crumbling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

Further to Long Arms point about the half/marathon runners.

Deek in early 82 ran 61 mins for the half. And possibly top 5 marathon runner in the world. In 81 he ran 40:08 for the race record.

Monners in late 90 ran 2:08 for the marathon and in 91 beat Deeks race record running 40:03. I think Monners 60min half in 93 was the world record/best at the time.

Probably both were top 5 in the world in half and marathon at the time of their wins.

#6 johnnyboyrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

View Postsuperflake, on 14 June 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

Further to Long Arms point about the half/marathon runners.

Deek in early 82 ran 61 mins for the half. And possibly top 5 marathon runner in the world. In 81 he ran 40:08 for the race record.

Monners in late 90 ran 2:08 for the marathon and in 91 beat Deeks race record running 40:03. I think Monners 60min half in 93 was the world record/best at the time.

Probably both were top 5 in the world in half and marathon at the time of their wins.

I wonder what Haile Gebrselassie would do it in?? 39.XX???

#7 speedmeup

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

Yep I reckon it's a big ask for an elite (international) athlete, to interrupt their training schedule and travel half way round the world to break a "fun run" record. . Mona has a good chance of keeping this one for a while. . Possibly a couple of the current Aussie track stars could do it, but their too worried about London to think about fun runs.

#8 don27

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

I have always considered the City to Surf course a real strength course & more of a Marathoner's course than a 10k runer type course. Hence Monners & Deeks times stand the test of time. These guys were elite Marathoners. Our current crop of top marathoners are slightly slower than those 2 guys. Also the City to Surf always is on when major overseas championships are on .So a lot of top 10k runners are overseas competing. Usually athletes go for the win rather than a record & conditions can vary from year to year.