13 replies to this topic

#1 jpol3692

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

Probably beating the drum of the beating obvious - does anyone use lets run.com? Either that place is inhabited solely by running freaks who happily punch out sub-14 minute 5k's at the drop of a hat, or Internet bullshitartistry has hit a new level...

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

I have seen it a few times and I would say its a combination of both situations you mentioned.

I have known some pretty serious runners who do frequent it but I have also noticed a few prank posts on there.

#3 WetWeek

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

I wouldn't waste the bandwidth.  Of the two alternatives you propose, I suspect the later.  That site is like a competition to see who can be the biggest A-hole.

#4 Perseus

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

Killjoys. CR is sterile compared to Letsrun and their mods don't have any sense of political corectness ;)

#5 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

And CR mods are politically correct? Do tell ...

#6 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

View PostWetWeek, on 06 August 2011 - 10:44 PM, said:

I wouldn't waste the bandwidth.  Of the two alternatives you propose, I suspect the later.  

Lets run is more than just a forum. Ot is a news site quoted by people like science of sport. But even on the forum there are thread better than anything you will find here with contributors such as Canova, Noakes, Tucker, et al.

CR is frequented people who think running 25 is fast and offended if it's said it's not.
15 min is not fast for college runners

#7 jpol3692

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

Well, I continue to use both, but I'll say that LR has an over-representation of users suffering from "amazing nobody a**ehole syndrome". Unless you're a true star, running is ultimately an exercise in self- fulfillment. I don't think that 5m kms are fast, but neither are people to be denigrated for it. Whenever I read a post on LR (or CR for that matter) tearing into people for what is perceived to be slow running, all I can think of is the arrogance of the poster, and also that the poster has never considered that outside of the absolute elite, nobody has the right to laugh at anyone else's performance. Ultimately we're all slow compared to someone else.

#8 redbackrun

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

is there a "do we really want ipods in races" thread on it.Posted Image

#9 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

View Postjpol3692, on 07 August 2011 - 06:18 PM, said:

Whenever I read a post on LR (or CR for that matter) tearing into people for what is perceived to be slow running, all I can think of is the arrogance of the poster, and also that the poster has never considered that outside of the absolute elite, nobody has the right to laugh at anyone else's performance.

Can you point to some posts here where the poster is laughing at someone else's performance?

Ultimately we're all slow compared to someone else.

True enough. And we all pretty much admit it.

#10 WetWeek

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

View PostColin, on 07 August 2011 - 05:33 PM, said:

CR is frequented people who think running 25 is fast and offended if it's said it's not.

So what.  Who cares if 15 is fast, or 27.39 is fast, or whatever.  

Since when does one's running times (whatever they may be, in reality) give anyone an excuse to be an arrogant a-hole to someone else on the letsrun forum asking for advice?

Edited by WetWeek, 07 August 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#11 jpol3692

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

View PostBellthorpe, on 07 August 2011 - 07:53 PM, said:

Can you point to some posts here where the poster is laughing at someone else's performance?

True enough. And we all pretty much admit it.

On LR, far too many to list. CR a few examples come to mind, but I honestly can't be bothered to list them as this will inevitably lead to a massive shitfight down the road.

#12 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

View PostWetWeek, on 07 August 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

So what.  Who cares if 15 is fast, or 27.39 is fast, or whatever.  

Since when does one's running times (whatever they may be, in reality) give anyone an excuse to be an arrogant a-hole to someone else on the letsrun forum asking for advice?
Let me rephrase since you didn't bother to read properly.
In answer to the OP yes people can and do run 15 min or under more frequently than we think. And  re your bandwidth wastage comment, LR is more than just a forum but a news site quoted by others. They have reports on international meets including video.
However the forum itself is trusted by people like Canova, Noakes et al to get their point across. Have yet to see them on CR...maybe they are in one of the hijacker threads.
Cheers

#13 lactatehead

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

There does not seem to be much censoring on LR so you can read all sorts of stuff. I personally don`t mind that and perhaps it reflects the difference between australians and americans.

#14 jpol3692

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

Don't get me wrong, interesting is always better than boring (duh?), and sometimes a little controversy is a lot more interesting than everyone being nice to each other. So saying, there is a difference between telling someone that they should have higher goals because they obviously have greater abilities than they give themselves credit for, and mindlessly sniping someone to get a laugh.

Generally, I've found that the slower people are a lot more honest with their times too.