erm, a coupla things, more than I originally thought tbh. The following focusses mostly on what I could have done better, so I want to say I'm pretty happy with how I went last year. The biggest thing I learnt is that I love this sport and there's not much that's more exciting and satisfying than crossing the finish line of a marathon.
1. I went out too fast - I guess it's one of those things you can know intellectually, and will still get wrong.
2. I over-did it in the lead-up - 2 months out, I'd had two goes at a very tough 34km trail run, and a month out, finished a great, and pretty relaxed trail marathon. Apart from the first run through of the 34km run, they felt great and nowhere near like too much, but it was significantly more than the training program I was following. As a result, I think I peaked about 2 weeks too early and was maybe a bit over-trained.
3. I need more core strength.
4. I let enthusiasm get the better of my capabilities - I wanted to break 4:00, and according to the interwebs my 10km time indicated that about 3:40 was achievable. So, I set off with the 3:45 pacers and crashed out at about 28km when my core gave out and my form went to pieces. I finished in 4:11, which makes me think that if I'd been a little more humble and aimed for closer to 4:00, I would have come much closer to achieving my goal.
5. It is possible to be proud of spewing.
so this year - I plan to try and improve my core strength, follow the training program, and work for the goal I set myself and not get carried away at the last minute trying to outdo myself.
But before all that happens, I still need to actually go
for my first run of 2012.
Edited by beefy32, 13 January 2012 - 10:59 PM.