I managed to get bruises under a couple of toenails back at the end of August this year. It happened on a day that I went trail running and later in the day played squash. I am not sure whether it was one or the other or both that contributed to the toe bruising. I have not had this problem before or since and am satisfied that my shoes are the right size.
Having watched the slow death of my toenails - bruised, to lanced, to lifting, to deadish looking (not nice and pink and healthy), to partly gone (my pruning of the nails as they lifted), I have a couple of questions I'd like help with
1. Once badly enough bruised is it inevitable that the nail will die / come off?
2. Once the nails start to lift up do you just chop them back or leave them?
3. One of my nails appears to have a dodgy second / new nail growing behind it - is this usual?
4. The two toenails affected are on my second toes (ie next to big toe). What is weird to me is that these are not my longest toes. I would have thought it would be the longer toes that would be affected?
5. Once the toenails are dead, half gone or gone is there anything special you need to do to ensure there are no issues with infection?
6. How long roughly does it take to recycle a toenail back to normal?