25 replies to this topic

#1 TRAVY

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

Is there software that you can buy that will put your race finishers into the age and placing categories. No I am not talking about anything like Tomato Timing
I just want a program that works out the placings after you key in the entrant after they cross the line.

Thanks  :im Not Worthy:

#2 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:52 PM

I've been working on an excel spreadsheet that is pretty much finished, and does category placings and female placings. Basically a full results file.  Refer to the Geraldton 2011 results (I created this, and have reworked for a 2012 version)

How many finishers do you need?  My file was setup to capture 3 events, about 150 in each, you also get to choose/write which categories you want...  Note: I can easily add more finishers, its just a spreadsheet so easy enough.

The file though is on my work computer so I can attach on Monday if you are interested.

ps. I created the file with the idea that basically you only need to enter a persons event and finish time; and then the results file is calculated automatically!

cheers

#3 batavia

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:24 PM

yes  we use the Rnscore program you can down load a trial at www.runscore.com  does everything to manage an event from shirt maagment to age cat results etc

#4 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

Thank you , I will check them out  :im Not Worthy:

#5 Timbo76

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

If you've got and Ipad (or even just and Iphone) you can use the pocket timer pro from Stevens Ceek software. I've used it once and found it very easy to handle and has all the features you would need, once you have everyones dats in there, its just a matter of entering the bib numbers when peopl cross the finishing line.  Brett uses it for most (or all?) of his Trails plus races currently, and it was used at Two Bays last year and is being used today for DevilBend half marathon.

#6 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

As promised I've uploaded my blank results excel file.  

Comments:

To keep formatting etc I created in Excel 2007.  If you use anything prior you will probably lose formats and macro's.

Race number can be altered to suit your event.  You should have unique numbers per person (obviously).

Also, When inputting results in minutes and seconds, anyone with identical times needs to have at least 0.01s difference eg. 40min20sec.00 vs 40.20.01

Categories can be changed to suit, simply type over the top of A6 to A27.

You can enter DNS or DNF against a person, however they will not filter into the results.  You would need to manually plug these in at the end.

Am happy to answer any questions, or amend the file to suit your event.  I don't get anything out of this other than helping fellow runners!

Attached Files

#7 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:19 PM

ps. I created the file with the idea that basically you only need to enter a persons event and finish time; and then the results file is calculated automatically!

cheers
[/quote]

Ok. I enter the persons name in the appropriate catogory (left to right) at the start of the race. Then I entewr in the time as they cross the line. Is their a tab or something that caluulateds placing. I can not see how a spread sheet can calculate placings

#8 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

Ok, I've re-uploaded with the Geraldton results so you can see how it works...

The different tabs are for each event.  I have also now added in a 5k event.

The starting list is where you enter individuals, gender, category.  Then input their finish time in minutes and seconds.

Scroll down for each event though.  Marathon are grouped together, then half marathon further down, followed by 10k and 5k.  You need to keep the events separated.  You can change Race Number (Bib) to suit your event.  Can also change headings etc.

Hope this helps.

I should have added; category placings are not on the Starting List tab.  Instead you would need to view the Event Results and determine category winners from the Cat Place column.

I hadn't really thought of doing this, although I'm sure I could have a separate Tab which populates category winners in a summary report.

Attached Files

#9 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

I must of asked the question poorly

Should I be able to do anything with the results, nothing happens when I click on what looks like a tab.

#10 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

The results tabs - one for each event, nothing is really meant to be touched in it.

The driver is the starting list where you enter person and category and finish time.

Results file is self populating.

Check the 2nd file I loaded which has results in it... Let me know if it doesn't make sense ? Cheers

#11 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

John Smith Male 5k 22 56 0:22:56
Sarah Collins Female 5k 24 58 0:24:58
Jacinta Miles Female 5k 18 12 0:18:12
Tracey TUNKS Female 5k 23 37 0:23:37
Sarah MAIN Female 5k 19 6 0:19:06

The names above . How do I put them in time order ? Fastest to slowest !
If that can not be done this is not what I want !

#12 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:38 PM

Travy - did you click on the '5k Results' tab?  This is where the results are pre-populated and already in time order.

In the 'Starting List' tab, if you scroll down each section you will see each event.  Keep scrolling to lines 443 which is the 5k event.  This is where you would populate a starting list and assign bib numbers.  Then input the finish time.  You will see the 5k has 5 finishers listed, the '5k results' tab, THIS Is the RESULTS file.

I didn't enter a category in the 5k, but you can choose a Category if you wanted to further rank results.

The tab 'Marathon results no lap splits' is a good example of seeing Category Placings in action working...

#13 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:56 PM

Forget it . Nothing is happening. I can not even stuff up your instructions. It is not working . Nothing is happening - Thanks anyway

#14 cappy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:02 AM

Wow

#15 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:56 AM

Sorry to hear not working for you Travy - must be frustrating!!  Thanks Cappy, I guess you can see it working...

For completeness sake, I noticed the 5k wasn't correctly putting in category rankings which I have now fixed.  I've also added in a NEW Tab Summarising TOP 3 Category Winners in each event.

I have RE-loaded a "Results File Populated" - so you can see the results tabs flowing correctly.  And I have loaded in the UPDATED "Blank Results File" so you can effectively start afresh with your own file.

Note: To amend categories, there is a drop down arrow on the Starting List tab.  Just amend to as little or as many categories as you want... Then when you enter participants and put in there category you should be able to choose from a drop down menu.

Attached Files

#16 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

PS Travy - a couple of screen shots fyi... from your example

1. Starting List - when you scroll down to the 5k input, in no particular order - ie. as you enter participants

2. 5k Results Tab - Participants are ranked according to finish time, then adds category placing

Anyway, I understand if you give up!  No worries, sorry I couldn't help you.

Attached Files

#17 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Travy - I wanted to double check my file, so I used your 2010 results to populate my spreadsheet.  I note you didn't have any age categories in last years results, so I only populated the Category with Male/Female.

I've attached 2 files.  One is the spreadsheet, one is the PDF Report of the results.  Suggest opening PDF first so you can see the output from the spreadsheet.  

Which version of Excel are you using?  My spreadsheet was done using 2007, perhaps if you are using older version may explain any problems you are having.

The PDF comes directly from the spreadsheet, I haven't done anything special other than save the Results Tabs to PDF instead of printing...  

NOTE: Although the starting list is already populated with the 2010 results in TIME ORDER, this is only because I was copying the data with it ALREADY Sorted.  The whole point of my file, was you can input people as they register in no particular ORDER, AND THEN the corresponding RESULTS TABS (depending on which event they were in) puts them into TIME RANKING RESULTS.

Anyway, it doesn't worry me if you don't want to use the file.  Its all good.  If someone else finds my file, then perhaps it will come in some use!  I did use the file though for Geraldton 2011, and will be doing again for 2012 with some improvements including a Summary of Category Winners!!

cheers

Attached Files

#18 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:15 PM

All I can see is a list of names and times all mixed up in no order on a spread sheet .
What you are giving me is no better than a pen and paper.  
I am useing MS Excel 2007 .

#19 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

Ok, last question.  Did you open the PDF file on my last attachment and what do you think of the PDF report?  (forget spreadsheet)

#20 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

View PostTRAVY, on 13 August 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

Is there software that you can buy that will put your race finishers into the age and placing categories. No I am not talking about anything like Tomato Timing
I just want a program that works out the placings after you key in the entrant after they cross the line.

Thanks  :im Not Worthy:

I understand the question !

#21 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

You worked out average pace. Whoopee doo The rest is still no better than pen and paper as I have said all along.

Do I have to download your software ?

#22 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

Travy - sorry, my whole point is there is no software and no magic tricks.  It is all run on a spreadsheet.  The PDF Results Report comes directly from the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet doesn't just work out an average pace...  You input a participant and their finish time in the 'Starting List' Tab in ANY ORDER, the spreadsheet then does a FULL Results in Time Order, Female Ranking, and Category Placing.  I'm not sure what else you would want from a results page.

Maybe if someone else wants to comment, as seems I am going in circles ??  

I thought this had answered your original problem (and is free).

cheers

#23 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

What you have to understand is that NOTHING IS HAPPENING. You have just given me a list of names and times on a spread sheet. I have done that before that is nothing new to me .

And I bet someone is sitting back following this topic laughing their head off saying to themself I know the answer !

#24 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

Ok, if you are clicking on the TABS and nothing is happening, then there is a problem!

You should be able to click on "Marathon Results", "Half Marathon Results", "10k Results", "Category Winners". etc. THIS IS WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS :)  And this is what makes the PDF Results Report..

I will email you the file directly and see if any difference?  You should definitely be able to click these tabs - I have no lock on this.  You should be able to VIEW these TABS.

Can anyone else download the excel file and report if they can click the other TABS mentioned above?

#25 TRAVY

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Here is where it concludes

Saved by a email

My Desk Top using MS Excel 2007 Next to nothing happens I click on the categories and different races on the page and nothing happens . All I can do is scroll to the bottom .  I can not do anything else
My Laptop using MS Excel 2007 -  Everything looks the same as before .   Except several odd looking tabs at the bottom of the screen. I can change events with a click of the mouse. BLOODY HELL I am excited now

It works well and looks good  :im Not Worthy:

#26 jockster

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

Well good news that Travy has it all worked out!

Final one from me;  I thought I would upload one FINAL spreadsheet as I have it currently standing, as there have been a few upgrade changes in the last few days! Category top 10 placings, Gender top 10 placings, and a few more lines have been added to allow extra entrants (no limit really on this number, however in keeping things basic and fewer lines etc I kept it to a few hundred per race!).

CR won't allow macro enabled file, so I have uploaded one with the macro's disabled.  However, if you do want the macro enabled file, PM me and I can email directly.  The macro's mean you won't be able to click the 'buttons' in the file, but they do make things a little quicker.

Attached Files