I attempted the Melbourne Marathon in 2008 and ended up spending 5 days in hospital because my quad muscles broke down, entered my blood stream and clogged my kidneys (Rhabdomyolysis). Although it was not complete renal failure it still knocked me around (not an experience I want to go through again). Ran onto the MCG to complete the last 300m of the marathon and woke up 15 mins later in the first aid station with no recollection of how I got there (think of the gatorade add with the ironman competitors legs turning to jelly with the finish in sight).
I have been running fun run distances since then (currently completing the Salomon trail running series in Vic) but would like to have another go at a marathon.
I am seeking some advice to determine if the Rhabdo is likely to reoccur.
- First fun run - run for the kids in April 08 (approx 25km /wk)
- Melbourne HM - June 08 (approx 30km/wk)
- Melbourne Marathon - Oct 08 (approx 60km/wk following a specific training program)
Abnormally high health levels 5 hours after the marathon
CK 7502 (45-250 healthy range)
Creat 190 (40-130)
Urea 12.6 (3 -
Alt 358 (5-40)
Ast 445 (5-40)
Fortunately these levels returned to the healthy range after a month and my kidneys are back to normal.
- dehydration (first hot day of the year and was not aware of how to effectively hydrate)
- insufficent training (was always sore after long runs for a day or two, didn't have the km's in my legs to attempt a marathon. Missed the longest training week due to injury)
- Partying (was still going out binge drinking most weekends)
- not listening to my body (hit the wall at 25km and kept pushing, thought I could push through it)
I have done some reading up on this topic and it seems to be more prevelant in ultra runners.
Any advice/comments would be appreciated
Edited by mrwhyte, 23 August 2011 - 08:39 AM.