9 replies to this topic

#1 cappy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

Anybody done this. Seriously considering this for 2013 and have reviewed the website, seen a few YouTube videos and chatted to those at traveling fit about it. One thing I haven't done is heard from anyone who has done it.

Anyone here done this and can offer any thoughts on the experience of the trek and marathon?

What do I want to know? Anything you feel worth mentioning. Keen to get feedback on the experience over the next couple of months while I decide between this and a different trip for 2013

Cheers

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 ausrunning

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

x2

Tenzing-Hillary Everest Marathon held annually in May
Mount Everest Marathon held annually in Nov/Dec

Anna "aFrosty" Frost set the race record, 4:35:04. For comparison she ran 3:52:48 at 6FT

Edited by ausrunning, 24 August 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#3 cappy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

View Postausrunning, on 24 August 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

THenzing-Hillary Everest Marathon held annually in May

that one. Cheers

#4 JumpingJack

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Hi Cappy,

I haven't done this marathon but I have trekked the Everest trail where it is run on a few occasions and I've spoken to a few of the local (sherpa) people who had done it.

From my experience from trekking the trail do not underestimate the effects of the altitude. I'd run my most recent marathon only a few months before trekking the Everest trail and I found the lack of oxygen debilitating while my wife really didn't have to many problems at all. There is no test you can do at sea level to see how you are going to handle altitude, so it’s a bit of a lottery.

Talking to the locals who have done it, they said the course is largely down hill and but the uphill parts are where non-Nepalese all struggle.

I didn't get to much comment on the drink station situation but I know that all drinking water for westerners needs to be carried up the trail by on the back of yaks so I would expect drink stations are few and far between.

My only other comment is the food. There isn’t too much choice to higher up the trail you go. So you may want to think about your own food for the pre–race.

All that being said, that part of the world is amazing and I wouldn’t hesitate in doing it given the chance.

Best of luck with it.

#5 cappy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Thanks a lot. Appreciate the reply!

#6 Unlikelyrunner

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

Im probably like Cappy.  3 years ago I spent 6 weeks climbing mountains in Nepal.  I summited 2 peaks, one 6500m (Mera) and the other 6200m (Island) and traversed a 6000m crossing in between them (Amphu Lapcha). I lived at 5000m or more for over 3 weeks during that 6 week trip.

A little story I like to tell is the day I was walking back down from Island Peak, basically the last 8 days of our trip.

Now, having lived at +5000m for 21 days straight I was walking at 4800m and was as strong as an ox.  And then these runners came flying past me.  It wasnt the Everest Marathon, but one of the other big events they hold each year.  Deciding I was invicible, and being fully acclimatised to 4800m, I picked up the pace into a run/shuffle.  

Within 50m I was collapsed on the ground gasping for air.

So yes, this would be horribly horribly tough.

And again like Cappy, the scenery is absolutely amazing. It would be a trip of a lifetime!

#7 cappy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

Another great reply, thanks a lot! To be honest I am likely underestimating the effects of altitude. If I sign up for it I'll try to take an event in nz or somewhere in aus to at least do some mental prep so I know (to some extent) what I'm in for

Thanks again

#8 SYC

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hey Cappy,
I did the Everest base camp trek back in April this year and one of our Sherpa guides ran the marathon (base camp to Namche) in 2008 or 2009, he came 8th or 9th in a time that I wouldn't be unhappy with at sea level. :)  He was working as a trekking guide then and told me his training regime involved getting up at 3 or 4am to go running in the hills, guiding and trekking all day, then go running in the hills around camp in the evening. Truly impressive people!

Agree with the comments above, and unfortunately with altitude the only way to find out is go and see what happens, slowly. Nepal is a wonderful place to visit, so even if you didn't wind up doing the marathon the trek alone will be more than worth it. There is a Kathmandu marathon in May (or April?). The traffic probably makes it just as difficult to breathe, but I suspect it would be good fun!

Good luck with it all!

#9 samjay

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hey Cappy, if you change your mind i might see you there. Am considering the May 2013 event via Travelling Fit. A friend has done it and said just train as though it was 84km rather than 42km. I will be just doing it with the aim of enjoying the views  B)

#10 wj04

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:16 PM

Informative blog, with similar aspirations in 2020 or 2021. How time flies. wj