10 replies to this topic

#1 BostonCalling

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

Watched a truly inspiring documentary on the Bio Channel Monday night. It was a story about Jamie Parks and his wife Lynn. Not long after they were engaged, Lynn was involved in a horrific car accident that left her in a coma for 7 months. Jamie never left her side and when she finally came out of her coma, she had to re-learn walking and talking.

Jamie who was always a runner prior to meeting Lynn, decided that he didn't want to leave Lynn when he went out on his daily runs. So he decided to start taking her out in her wheelchair. They started entering races together, even winning a couple. Lynn even gave birth, which doctors said she could never achieve.

Amazingly, Jamie achieved a Boston Qualifier pushing Lynn at Toronto running 3.12 from memory. They then did Boston together running 3.25. Amazing footage seeing him push Lynn up Heartbreak Hill. Since watching this doco, it has reinforced my belief in the human spirit and inspired me to work even harder to achieve my Boston Qualifier.

Anyone else see it? Not sure if it will be shown again.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 thomo

Take off looking less safe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

Yes, I watched it. Very emotional.

Also, I couldn't believe how fast he was.

For those who missed it. He pushed his wife in a conventional hospital grade wheelchair in all the lead up races to Boston.

He and his wife were given a lighter weight wheelchair and they used it at Boston.

Well worth watching.

#3 Tony123

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

I've taped it, hopefully I will find some time to watch it tonight.

#4 MrUniqueName

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

Here's a trailer.

Edit: I really shouldn't cut onions while watching stuff like this... damn things make my eyes water...  :Whistle:

Edited by MrUniqueName, 04 October 2011 - 03:36 PM.

#5 McKnickers

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:45 AM

what was the show called?

#6 MailmanJamie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

View PostMcKnickers, on 05 October 2011 - 07:45 AM, said:

what was the show called?
"Marathon Love."

#7 MailmanJamie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

This is Jamie from "Marathon Love." Thanks to all for the kind words. The show originally aired in the States in December of 2008 but continues to be shown all around the world. We are still getting people signing our guestbook on our website, www.Lynjame.com, as well as e-mails and new friends on Facebook. It is very humbling to know that so many of you care about our story. We are sure that there are many other stories similar to ours that don't get the same amount of publicity.

Feel free to "friend" us on Facebook or sign our guestbook at Lynjame.com

Take care and God bless

Jamie Parks
Lynn McGovern Parks
Annalyn Parks

#8 BostonCalling

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

View PostMailmanJamie, on 05 October 2011 - 11:01 AM, said:

This is Jamie from "Marathon Love." Thanks to all for the kind words. The show originally aired in the States in December of 2008 but continues to be shown all around the world. We are still getting people signing our guestbook on our website, www.Lynjame.com, as well as e-mails and new friends on Facebook. It is very humbling to know that so many of you care about our story. We are sure that there are many other stories similar to ours that don't get the same amount of publicity.

Feel free to "friend" us on Facebook or sign our guestbook at Lynjame.com

Take care and God bless

Jamie Parks
Lynn McGovern Parks
Annalyn Parks
Hi Jamie

Welcome to Cool Running Australia. How are you, Lynn and Annalyn going? You and your family are an inspiration to us all. Are you still competing?

#9 MailmanJamie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

View PostBostonCalling, on 05 October 2011 - 01:32 PM, said:

Hi Jamie

Welcome to Cool Running Australia. How are you, Lynn and Annalyn going? You and your family are an inspiration to us all. Are you still competing?
Good to know we have friends down under. Lynn and Annalyn are doing well. I am recovering from a bout with Plantar Fasciitis that caused a stress fracture in my left foot. So I've been out of competition since July 4th. Just got the go ahead from my Physical Therapist to gradually increase my mileage so I did some slow miles the past two days without any pain. Annalyn (our daughter) just finished her second season of running cross-country on her Middle School team. She (like us) runs every day. The three of us will be running a 5K here in our hometown on November 13th.

My brother put together our website and it has more information than you could imagine about us. I always like to plug it because he put so much time and effort into it.

www.lynjame.com

#10 BostonCalling

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

View PostMailmanJamie, on 05 October 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

Good to know we have friends down under. Lynn and Annalyn are doing well. I am recovering from a bout with Plantar Fasciitis that caused a stress fracture in my left foot. So I've been out of competition since July 4th. Just got the go ahead from my Physical Therapist to gradually increase my mileage so I did some slow miles the past two days without any pain. Annalyn (our daughter) just finished her second season of running cross-country on her Middle School team. She (like us) runs every day. The three of us will be running a 5K here in our hometown on November 13th.

My brother put together our website and it has more information than you could imagine about us. I always like to plug it because he put so much time and effort into it.

www.lynjame.com
Will certainly check out the website Jamie. Good luck for the 5K in November and best wishes for a speedy recovery for your foot.

By the way, funniest scene the doco was when you were running past Wellesley Girls College and you told Lynn that you weren't looking at the girls. Very funny. Thanks for sharing your story with all of us and happy running.

#11 MailmanJamie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

View PostBostonCalling, on 05 October 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

Will certainly check out the website Jamie. Good luck for the 5K in November and best wishes for a speedy recovery for your foot.

By the way, funniest scene the doco was when you were running past Wellesley Girls College and you told Lynn that you weren't looking at the girls. Very funny. Thanks for sharing your story with all of us and happy running.
I STILL got in trouble. If you notice, I high-fived the girls and kept Lynn on my left.