#1 fat bloke

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

Yes its Mnt Nebo time again!!

This years Festive Fatass is on the 27th december.

Already i have had strong interest and quite a few are in for the full monty, up and down.

As usual you can choose your own options, just up or just down or out and back for your chosen time/distance..........or the full monty.

We will start from the usual spot corner of payne rd and dillon rd.

Start time 5.30 am.

Carrying your own drinks and food is required as ther are no provisions out on the course.

The shop usually opens at 8am at mnt nebo (normally they will open up earlier if you tap on the door)

Should be a good way to burn off the xmas pudding.

Have fun

fats

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 redbackrun

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

hi fats, just talking about this tonight on our run. unfortunately i'll be doing some beach running up the coast so will have to miss this again Posted Image i'll do it one year, i promise Posted Image

cheers
rbr

#3 Running Angel

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:49 AM

Awesome we should be in Brissie for this one. Can you post more details?

:Angel:

#4 ultrawazza

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

Mate, as long as I can run by that stage, i'll be there!

#5 Honeyfuelled

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

hey there, keen to travel up to this one, can you tell me if the trail is an easy ,marked trail or is there a high chance of getting lost?
thanks

#6 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Moderate chance of getting lost.  It's not marked.

#7 Kato

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

Just don't follow Kelvin, for whom getting lost is mandatory.

Alas, I shan't be there this year, I'm not within a bull's roar of being fit enough.

#8 meinmuk

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

I'm a pretty good chance for going one way, but will obviously need help from another participant for car shuffling.
Andy

#9 fat bloke

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Every year someone adds a little detour.

It is however a pretty straight forward run, and the only bit that could be confusing is near the top/turnaround which has 3 different ways to get to the same point.

There are usually many experienced runners who know the course well, so regardless of pace you can generally fall in with an experienced guide.

Come on Kato......this will get you fit!!!

#10 CanadiangirlinOz

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

I would appreciate more info about this as well... anyone else doing 6 foot and using this as a training run?  I'm guessing 48km's would be too much for me but 24km's is too short... is there an option of running up (24km I'm assuming) and part the way down?  I don't know the area at all so not sure of what my options could be...

Cheers

#11 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

You won't be able to run part of the way down realistically, as it would too hard logistically.  You could however go part of the way up, then just turnaround and go back.  That's what I did a couple of years ago to make it about 30k all up.

#12 CanadiangirlinOz

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

View PostAndyP, on 08 December 2011 - 01:12 PM, said:

You won't be able to run part of the way down realistically, as it would too hard logistically.  You could however go part of the way up, then just turnaround and go back.  That's what I did a couple of years ago to make it about 30k all up.

Thanks Andy,

I'll probably do the 30km out and back then.  I've never been out this way before... do you have your garmin details for the time you did the 30?  Or if anyone else has any Garmin details it would be good to have a look to see what I'm in for (and where the trail actually goes!)

#13 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

Sorry, I didn't have a Garmin back then.  I remember missing a turn on the way back, which didn't cost too much distance before I knew, but it meant having to go back up a big hill.

#14 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

I found some maps by looking at the old threads:

Pink line for the route, except the loop at the top doesn't happen.
http://www.coolrunni...s-Sections/map3

http://www.mapmyrun....es/view/3003658

UCB's GPX file
http://www.coolrunni...ndpost&p=628000

#15 CanadiangirlinOz

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

View PostAndyP, on 11 December 2011 - 10:19 AM, said:

I found some maps by looking at the old threads:

Pink line for the route, except the loop at the top doesn't happen.
http://www.coolrunni...s-Sections/map3

http://www.mapmyrun....es/view/3003658

UCB's GPX file
http://www.coolrunni...ndpost&p=628000

That's awesome Andy.  Thanks... looks like some good 6 foot training :)

#16 Kato

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:00 AM

View PostCanadiangirlinOz, on 11 December 2011 - 03:46 PM, said:

That's awesome Andy.  Thanks... looks like some good 6 foot training :)
A lot of runs don't pack the same long hard grind that the Six Foot Track does, particularly the Black Range.  Whilst it doesn't have a single hill the quality of Pluviometer (Maybe start with some Mt Cootha first?), this one has LOTS of grind.  Enjoy.

#17 SASMoT

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

I'm in (but not for the full up and back). I'll adjust my distance/time depending on how much I eat over Christmas!  :Sick:

Nikki

Edited by SASMoT, 16 December 2011 - 07:49 PM.

#18 flyingemu

it's Sir emu to you...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

Running Angel and I will be in Brisbane from next week, so very likely we'll run this. Perhaps 30km, depends on how much of the festive fizz went down.  :drinks:

#19 meinmuk

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

So there are a couple of takers here for something less than 48km other than myself. I'd prefer not to do just an out and back to make up 25-30km (I've run that trail lots already, but haven't made it past the rain gauge yet so I'd like to see the top section, and why not do it with others?). Anyone up for a car shuffle (or do I have to wait to hear how much SASMoT has eaten :Whistle: )?
If it would help, I'll run up and a small out and back at the Nebo end to extend up to 30km, or save a seat at Nebo while someone else does...
Andy

#20 SASMoT

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

View Postmeinmuk, on 21 December 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

So there are a couple of takers here for something less than 48km other than myself. I'd prefer not to do just an out and back to make up 25-30km (I've run that trail lots already, but haven't made it past the rain gauge yet so I'd like to see the top section, and why not do it with others?). Anyone up for a car shuffle (or do I have to wait to hear how much SASMoT has eaten :Whistle: )?
If it would help, I'll run up and a small out and back at the Nebo end to extend up to 30km, or save a seat at Nebo while someone else does...
Andy

I've run to swaggers a few times and I'm keen to do the second part of the trail too, Andy. Happy to car pool! I'll PM you and we can work something out. I'll go a little easier on the Xmas pudding!   ;)

CandiangirlinOz might be in too?

#21 StillGettinThere

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Thinking about coming in to the start via Nebo and chucking a pushie into the shrubbery ready for a crazy return ride down the hill back to the car.

#22 twosheds

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

Maybe... maybe could join from Hillbrook road and run to Nebo.

#23 craig9elf

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:36 AM

Count me in! Had a great time last year, met Dave and Deb. Hope to catch up again and learn some more secrets :)

#24 CanadiangirlinOz

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

View PostSASMoT, on 21 December 2011 - 09:31 PM, said:

I've run to swaggers a few times and I'm keen to do the second part of the trail too, Andy. Happy to car pool! I'll PM you and we can work something out. I'll go a little easier on the Xmas pudding!   ;)

CandiangirlinOz might be in too?

I'm definitely in... would rather run right to the top and add a bit extra if we have to. Happy to car pool or whatever.  I'm still not 100% but ran 6km ok.  Still coughing and a bit stuffed up but worst case I do 24km's to the top nice and easy :)

#25 meinmuk

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

Can someone advise a half distance piker who hasn't been to Mt Nebo yet where a good place to leave the car and meet a car-pooler is?
thanks in advance, Andy

Edited by meinmuk, 23 December 2011 - 01:51 PM.

#26 funrunner63

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

View Postmeinmuk, on 23 December 2011 - 12:36 PM, said:

Can someone advise a half distance piker who hasn't been to Mt Nebo yet where a good place to leave the car and meet a car-pooer is?
thanks in advance, Andy
For those not wanting to go up and back (46k), and want to do a little over 30k, one option is starting at the end of Hillbrook Rd where it meets the trail.

From there it is 17k up, you should be able to find a drink somewhere at the top, then 17k back.

I did this 2 years ago, and it was still a solid run.

This year I'm hoping to just run up- 23k.

Funrunner aka Craig

#27 slowbonKeR

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

View Postfat bloke, on 23 November 2011 - 08:42 PM, said:

Carrying your own drinks and food is required as ther are no provisions out on the course.

The shop usually opens at 8am at mnt nebo (normally they will open up earlier if you tap on the door)

Sounds great, was planning on running up to visit my in-laws at Mt Nebo on Chrissy morning, so hopefully will be in form again by Tuesday to join you for the out & back!

Just a heads up, Boombana Cafe has rennos underway so won't be open - the owner Russell is happy to supply water if he's around, but he wasnt sure if he'd be up by 8am. If not there are 4 alternatives:

1.Boombana Picnic Area (not far from the Cafe) - DERM do however recommend treating this water prior to drinking
2.The Jones Tea Rooms, just 200m or so further through the village (can't find a phone number for them so again, not sure if open).
3.Mt Nebo Village School (just a little further again, opposite side of the road). I've been told there's a tap here where a lot of the cyclists fill up (so not sure if this tap dispenses water or latte ;)
4.Liaise with someone taking their car up

Don't know how others find it, but I'm mentioning this as I normally consume about 3L to get up to Nebo (that's one-way). Given its forecast up to 30 degrees, and many will still be a little dehydrated from xmas merriment then wouldn't want anyone to get caught short.

Cheers

Rob

#28 Running Angel

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

View Postfunrunner63, on 23 December 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

For those not wanting to go up and back (46k), and want to do a little over 30k, one option is starting at the end of Hillbrook Rd where it meets the trail.

From there it is 17k up, you should be able to find a drink somewhere at the top, then 17k back.

Funrunner aka Craig
Thanks for that Craig, We may well do that option as we want to do an out and back of around 30-35k so at least this way we will get to the top. Unless we decide to do the whole way very slowly!

:Angel:

#29 SASMoT

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

View Postfunrunner63, on 23 December 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

Funrunner aka Craig

Craig (or anyone else), can you post a map of where the trail finishes at Mt Nebo or where you'll park your car?

See you all tomorrow
Nikki

#30 Hermie

Old Miniac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

I recollect if you make the correct turn to go via Boombana, it should be fairly easy to hit Mt Nebo without a wrong turn and then follow the bitumen to the cafe.

The water at Boombana was brown the last time I took some from there. Drinkable if desperate but not great tasting. The water tank 2/3 of the way up is very brown as well with a faint aftertaste of earthy mushroom,forest litter and the woody taste of tree branches. Enjoy.

Figure to carry about five litres of fluid myself for the round trip.

#31 meinmuk

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

View PostSASMoT, on 26 December 2011 - 01:46 PM, said:

Craig (or anyone else), can you post a map of where the trail finishes at Mt Nebo or where you'll park your car?

See you all tomorrow
Nikki

This is where I'm thinking of Nikki...I'll see you there at 5. Andy
Attached File  Picture1.png   358.13K   19 downloads

#32 funrunner63

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

View PostSASMoT, on 26 December 2011 - 01:46 PM, said:

See you all tomorrow
Nikki
Hey Nikki,

Best map I can find is the first link in AndyP's post of 10 Dec 6:19pm. In the pink loop at the top left hand corner of the map, take the anticlockwise direction and halfway between the fork (where the single pink line branches into the loop) and the road- you will see a brown dotted track branch off to the left (in the middle of the loop). Zoom in on the map and it easier to see. This track takes you to a picnic/camp site (possibly Boombana referred to in Hermies post). When you enter the picnic site, veer to the left away from the road and you'll go on the track that takes you to the Boombana Cafe (which apparently will be closed). This is the official turn around point (the cafe)and where any cars would be parked. If you miss or take a wrong turn and find youself on a bitumen road, you've probably come out on the Mt Nebo Rd and turning left will get you to Boombana by following that road. The top section is where most people "discover new ways" of getting to the cafe.

Hope this hasn't put you off,

Funrunner aka Craig

#33 SASMoT

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

Thanks guys.

As I'm only going one way, I'll leave clean, filtered water (15litre) under my car for anyone wanting/needing to re-fill.

See you all bright and early in the morning

Nikki

#34 meinmuk

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for a great run, all. Great turnout - maybe 40 starting? There seemed to be fewer at the top...
Lots of good cheer and plenty of uphill grind, as advertised, with a great singletrack finish through the rainforest.
See many of you soon at Woodford,
Andy

#35 M_Polichay

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

Thanks to the organisers of this run. To Craig for waiting around to show directions and providing water at the 14km. I used abt 250ml of the remaining 2 bottles there on my way back. I could have got to the 24km (boombana) if I had made prior arrangement for transport. I wasn't sure i could and targeted 15 km then turn back. I got to 20km then turned back. Of course no one else was there at Payne Road when i got back just before midnight, I mean midday.
Cheers to all the 'kick ass' coolrunners. Might try again next year.

#36 M_Polichay

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

Here's the class of 2011.

Attached Files

#37 craig9elf

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Great run again. Thanks to Craig and Jeff for the seats to get Matt and Andrew back. Here's a photo of some very coolrunners :)

Attached Files

#38 CanadiangirlinOz

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

What a great morning out!  Thanks for organising.  Hadn't been up that way before but will definitely be going back.  Next time I'll make sure I go the right way (left) through the rain forest and not via the road.  Thanks to the motorcycle guy that stopped to tell me which way to Mt Nebo.  I'm sure he went home to tell his family about some crazy girl that came stumbling out of the woods looking for which way to go!  :Just Kidding:

Nice meeting so many people over coffee too. and thanks SlowBonker for the coffee - next time I'll bring money.

#39 yochris77

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

Thanks all.  Great run.  Thanks to Nikki for being super-organised with water and fruit at the top.  I am stoked I was about 45 minutes quicker than last year and felt good.

Nice meeting you all and hope to catch up again soon.

Cheers,
Chris.

#40 SASMoT

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

Same as whats been said before...great run, relatively comfortable conditions for this time of the year and some good company. It was nice to catch up with other CRs and meet new ones. And thanks to Funrunner63 for the chat and tips for the landmarks to get us to the top.  I look forward to next year.

View Postyochris77, on 28 December 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

Thanks all.  Great run.  Thanks to Nikki for being super-organised with water and fruit at the top.  I am stoked I was about 45 minutes quicker than last year and felt good.

Nice meeting you all and hope to catch up again soon.

Cheers,
Chris.

Glad you liked the fruit, Chris! Did you actually take any?!

I was very happy to help out with the container of water. I thought it would have been easier than trying to find a tap or buy water in Mt Nebo. Although, I'm not sure I will make the same offer again. My guess is someone has lifted the container onto the boot of my car and then pulled it off leaving some deep and long scratches that I won't be able to buff out.  The price I pay for generosity?! :fool:

Nikki

#41 SASMoT

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

View PostCanadiangirlinOz, on 28 December 2011 - 07:01 AM, said:

Thanks to the motorcycle guy that stopped to tell me which way to Mt Nebo.  I'm sure he went home to tell his family about some crazy girl that came stumbling out of the woods looking for which way to go!  :Just Kidding:

This was so funny! :LMAO:   And I'm very happy you found your way back....safely! :good:

#42 M_Polichay

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

does anyone have information on the elevation gain or height difference between payne road and mt nebo? my garmin shows a total ascent/descent of 2000m to the 20km mark. hey nikki, sorry to hear about your car getting gashed. do keep being generous. that's what makes this world go round.

#43 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

View PostMrOddSeer, on 28 December 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

does anyone have information on the elevation gain or height difference between payne road and mt nebo?
yep

#44 slowbonKeR

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

View PostCanadiangirlinOz, on 28 December 2011 - 07:01 AM, said:

Nice meeting so many people over coffee too. and thanks SlowBonker for the coffee - next time I'll bring money.

No worries, and thanks too to Nikki for the lift (and for persuading me to go left, not right at the rainforest bike gates). Sorry to hear your car got scratched, that sucks eggs.

Not sure how many years this Fatass has been going for but it was a pleasant surprise. I don't think I'd have been game enough to try and navigate that route on my own, but look forward to doing so now.

#45 yochris77

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

View PostSASMoT, on 28 December 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

Same as whats been said before...great run, relatively comfortable conditions for this time of the year and some good company. It was nice to catch up with other CRs and meet new ones. And thanks to Funrunner63 for the chat and tips for the landmarks to get us to the top.  I look forward to next year.

Glad you liked the fruit, Chris! Did you actually take any?!

I was very happy to help out with the container of water. I thought it would have been easier than trying to find a tap or buy water in Mt Nebo. Although, I'm not sure I will make the same offer again. My guess is someone has lifted the container onto the boot of my car and then pulled it off leaving some deep and long scratches that I won't be able to buff out.  The price I pay for generosity?! :fool:

Nikki

Yes - a couple of pieces of nice cold orange while trying not to drip all over everything.

#46 M_Polichay

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

A funrunner's account, photos, map etc.
http://anigorotodyss...l-run-2011.html

#47 M_Polichay

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

View Postundercover brother, on 28 December 2011 - 05:55 PM, said:

thanks UCB. big difference there. your 850m/500m A/D gives 350m gain. I was looking for comparison to my data which is abt 1225m/775m and a 450m gain in elevation to the 20km mark. i suppose all it means is that gps watches should not be relied on for accurate elevation readings. even distance readouts can vary significantly.