9 replies to this topic

#1 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

Budhia Singh was born in India and, at the age of three was sold by his impoverished mother to a street hawker. Destined to lead a desperate existence as a beggar, Budhia was rescued by Biranchi, a concerned judo coach, who ran an orphanage for slum children. It didn't take long for Budhia to reveal his remarkable talent for running, leading Biranchi to embark on a mission to turn Budhia into India's greatest runner.

Within a year, he had run 48 full marathons and was still only four years old. However, as Budhia's fame grew, so did the controversies. At the end of his record-breaking 65 km run, he collapsed. With an international storm brewing, the Indian government decided to intervene.

Marathon Boy starts as a simple inspirational story but goes on to reveal the darker side of humanity and the complexities of Indian society as it struggles to come to grips with the realities of the slums.

See link here: http://www.abc.net.a...t: Marathon Boy

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 CharlieB

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

View PostJogger, on 04 December 2011 - 06:17 PM, said:

watched this last night....so sad. Amazing story

#3 Rico

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

What sort of times does he do?

#4 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

they said he ran a marathon in 7hrs 2mins but then said it was 42 miles. I think that was meant to be 42km.

#5 Kandingo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

watched it today...

it was a 42 mile run !! and his coach/guru wanted him to continue further to the crowded stadium !! bizarre watching microphones being shoved in this tiny kids face...he is delirious and vomiting and they want a good quote ??

#6 SamIAm

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

Child abuse if you ask me.

#7 AndyP

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

I watched some of it, but couldn't be bothered lasting until the end.  He hasn't done a long run since then from what I can find out, but he is now at a sports academy.

#8 SkyChariot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

I watched this show as well. 42 miles in 7hour and 2 minutes for a 5yr old! That would make many seasoned adult ultra runners cry and bring them to their knees :Shocked: It just makes you wonder how all those miles, and all that he went through, may affect him as a person, and an athlete in the future. He sure had an old head on his little body. What struck me is how emotionless he was about everything.I guess kids have to grow up fast in the head to survive in countries like that.  So toughened by life so young, just to survive so much drama it was like nothing could hurt him because he had pretty much built this wall against the world. Kids dont see limits like we do as we get older,they have a different view of the word because they have not lived long enough to understand much about what is usual, what is unusual, what abuse is - especially if they are just living with abuse daily,and see that as how the world is and just learn to manage that.  I am not sure he could possibly comprehend the magnitude of what he was doing at that age. His coach said run 42miles, and he just shrugged his shoulders and kept running,practically till he was dead, probably not realising what all the hype about how extraordinary, or how damaging that could be to someone his age was. :Raised Eyebrow:  The guy that bought him off his mother threw stones at him at the age of 3yrs old, and the kid responded by throwing stones back at him and then getting up on the roof to avoid the repercussions. That was just normal for him, survival. I think he thought he was lucky to be taken in by the trainer guy, because he wasnt getting rocks thrown at him, and he had food. Was he better off???? Hard to judge really. :Confused:  The trainer saw he had a talent to run by chance, and decided to turn him into an olympic marathoner. Hard to know if he just saw an opportunity to exploit the kid for himself, or he saw an opportunity to help the kid in his way of thinking by helping him develope his talent to give him a life? I know that in most countries this would never happen, kids just arnt allowed to run marathons, for good reason.Their bodies are still developing, and running miles like that can do some serious damage to that developement, and it also takes a hell of a lot of concentration. I dont know how a trainer, no matter where he was from, could possibly think that it was good training for a kid that age, so physically and mentally undeveloped to deal with that sort of training to be running marathons with the goal of him running in the olympics at some stage.  :Thinking: You would think he would be looking after him while he was that young so he had the opportunity to run those distances at that level when he was older if thats the path he wanted to follow, and not risk burning him out physically and emotionally. Its nice to encourage kids to persue their dreams and encourage them to get out and have a go, especially if they have a talent for sumthing, but it should be about fun and enjoyment and a healthy lifestyle, and they shouldnt be pushed by anyone else.Especially some adult who wants to exploit them for their own gain. :angry2:  You just wonder how deaply scared this kid might be, despite him seaming so much older than he is. And you just hope that he can grow up and make his own choices about what he is going to do in the future. And if he continues with his running, or some other sport, that he gets the right support and encouragement, can set his own goals and just be happy with whatever level he achieves. Be interesting to see if he ever does run an olympic marathon. One wonders if what he went though, weather it has potentialy destroyed a real talent, or he can overcome that and still go on to be an olympian. It made me sad to watch this show. :cray:  I run because it brings me closer to myself and links me to life. It gives me wings, I feel the earth rising up through my feet, and the breath of the heavens on my face, and feel my heart beating out a rythm with my feat and I feel in sync with myself and with life.  I learn so much about myself and find strength and joy from where running takes me. I dont think running should be a chore, you should feel good about it and good through it. Life is short, and we have this precious time here on earth to experience so many things. Instead we just rush from one moment into the next not realising when a moment is gone it is gone forever, you can never get it back, so why waste it being sad and unhappy.And why stuff us someone elses life, especially a kid who depends on adults to do the right things by them.What a horrible thing to do. Makes you really appreciate that you do have choices, even when it might not always feel that way, when you look at a little boy like this who has grown up in such a harsh enviroment. Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts on that.

#9 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

Please use spaces between paragraphs, SC.  That post is almost impossible to read.

I was amused when he was telling every passerby to "Get out of the way, motherf**ker".

#10 iRonnie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

View PostSkyChariot, on 08 December 2011 - 06:20 PM, said:

I watched this show as well. 42 miles in 7hour and 2 minutes for a 5yr old! That would make many seasoned adult ultra runners cry and bring them to their knees :Shocked:

It just makes you wonder how all those miles, and all that he went through, may affect him as a person, and an athlete in the future. He sure had an old head on his little body.

What struck me is how emotionless he was about everything.I guess kids have to grow up fast in the head to survive in countries like that.  So toughened by life so young, just to survive so much drama it was like nothing could hurt him because he had pretty much built this wall against the world. Kids dont see limits like we do as we get older,they have a different view of the word because they have not lived long enough to understand much about what is usual, what is unusual, what abuse is - especially if they are just living with abuse daily,and see that as how the world is and just learn to manage that.

I am not sure he could possibly comprehend the magnitude of what he was doing at that age. His coach said run 42miles, and he just shrugged his shoulders and kept running,practically till he was dead, probably not realising what all the hype about how extraordinary, or how damaging that could be to someone his age was. :Raised Eyebrow:  

The guy that bought him off his mother threw stones at him at the age of 3yrs old, and the kid responded by throwing stones back at him and then getting up on the roof to avoid the repercussions. That was just normal for him, survival. I think he thought he was lucky to be taken in by the trainer guy, because he wasnt getting rocks thrown at him, and he had food. Was he better off???? Hard to judge really. :Confused:

The trainer saw he had a talent to run by chance, and decided to turn him into an olympic marathoner. Hard to know if he just saw an opportunity to exploit the kid for himself, or he saw an opportunity to help the kid in his way of thinking by helping him develope his talent to give him a life?

I know that in most countries this would never happen, kids just arnt allowed to run marathons, for good reason.Their bodies are still developing, and running miles like that can do some serious damage to that developement, and it also takes a hell of a lot of concentration. I dont know how a trainer, no matter where he was from, could possibly think that it was good training for a kid that age, so physically and mentally undeveloped to deal with that sort of training to be running marathons with the goal of him running in the olympics at some stage.  :Thinking:

You would think he would be looking after him while he was that young so he had the opportunity to run those distances at that level when he was older if thats the path he wanted to follow, and not risk burning him out physically and emotionally. Its nice to encourage kids to persue their dreams and encourage them to get out and have a go, especially if they have a talent for sumthing, but it should be about fun and enjoyment and a healthy lifestyle, and they shouldnt be pushed by anyone else.Especially some adult who wants to exploit them for their own gain. :angry2:  You just wonder how deaply scared this kid might be, despite him seaming so much older than he is. And you just hope that he can grow up and make his own choices about what he is going to do in the future.

And if he continues with his running, or some other sport, that he gets the right support and encouragement, can set his own goals and just be happy with whatever level he achieves. Be interesting to see if he ever does run an olympic marathon. One wonders if what he went though, weather it has potentialy destroyed a real talent, or he can overcome that and still go on to be an olympian. It made me sad to watch this show. :cray:

I run because it brings me closer to myself and links me to life. It gives me wings, I feel the earth rising up through my feet, and the breath of the heavens on my face, and feel my heart beating out a rythm with my feat and I feel in sync with myself and with life.  I learn so much about myself and find strength and joy from where running takes me. I dont think running should be a chore, you should feel good about it and good through it.

Life is short, and we have this precious time here on earth to experience so many things. Instead we just rush from one moment into the next not realising when a moment is gone it is gone forever, you can never get it back, so why waste it being sad and unhappy.And why stuff us someone elses life, especially a kid who depends on adults to do the right things by them.What a horrible thing to do. Makes you really appreciate that you do have choices, even when it might not always feel that way, when you look at a little boy like this who has grown up in such a harsh enviroment. Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts on that.

The trainer saw he had a talent to run by chance, and decided to turn him into an olympic marathoner. Hard to know if he just saw an opportunity to exploit the kid for himself, or he saw an opportunity to help the kid in his way of thinking by helping him develope his talent to give him a life?

The idea that talent for marathoning can be identified at five years old is absurd.  The people doing the exploiting are the people who made the show and the RDs who allowed him to enter the 48 marathons because they must have the information at hand to recognise the foolishness of thinking that one can recognise with such certainty a potential Olympian. Indeed, if you could do so wouldn't you take a more sensible approach their development? Exploitation of ignorance is wrong.

I dont think running should be a chore, you should feel good about it and good through it.
  A good coach/trainer/parent knows this. Passion for running and competing is what wins Gold medals.  And it keeps us hacks showing up week after week for another tilt at some personal goal.

Edited by iRonnie, 13 December 2011 - 08:19 AM.